PDA

View Full Version : Undocumented Workers

02-24-2008, 04:49 PM
Thank you Mr. Chief Deputy for throwing our brothers across the river under the bus but you know when you did that you also fell under the bus. Read the PNJ blogs about your comment, "We don't want to generate any more crime." What tha does that mean? Here's what the PNJ has as a quot on our #2 man:

"Escambia disagrees

Escambia County Sheriff's Office officials have discussed the issue of undocumented workers but do not anticipate any raids, Chief Deputy Larry Smith said.

"My jail only holds 1,450 people. Right now, I have a population right at 1,800," he said. "I don't need to go out and generate any more crime to overload an overloaded jail on issues where I think you have to step back and look at the big picture."

The scale of the problem makes it impractical for local law enforcement agencies to take on such a task, he said.

"The Congress of the United States cannot figure out what to do with illegals. There are over 20 million illegals in the United States,'' he said. "I have a hard time understanding how putting workers in jail in Santa Rosa County is going to fix the illegal problem."

There was a time, Smith pointed out, that citizens of Northwest Florida were happy to see Hispanics, regardless of their status.

"After (hurricanes) Ivan and Dennis, we were quite proud to have the Hispanic population come to this county. There were houses to be rebuilt and roofs to be fixed," he said. "We were glad to see them."

Then the response in the PNJ by the CITIZENS...............................

"QUOTE OF THE YEAR" Escambia Co. Sheriff Larry Smith Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:45 am
You have to love the apathy by Larry Smith...it so typifies everything in Escambia County...and quite like our sloshed superintendant Jim Paul which nothing is being done about. My favorite quote: "I do not need to go generate more crime.". uh...Larry...you are not generating crime...I hope. I would hope you are just enforcing the law. The people generating crimes are the ones that are breaking a law...such as undocumented workers. And then he gets better...he uses the help that was given by undocumented workers after the storm as another reason to let this slide. ok...so....our SHERIFF apparently believes that it is ok to break a law if it benefits someone positively by breaking it. alright...another winner."

This makes us look really good with our fellow law enforcement officers! Perhaps a course in "Introduction to Criminal Justice 101" could be provided for our upper administration! If they can't read we could provide the edition with pictures!

02-24-2008, 05:38 PM
Don’t you just love it when an idiot like Smith opens his mouth and reveals his true self?

Notice how he referred to the jail as “my jail”.

He confirmed the reports that he micromanages the jail and whoever is in charge are nothing more than puppets and figure heads. He didn’t call the jail, the “Sheriff’s Jail”, or “Escambia County’s Jail” he used his personal pronoun “My” to describe it.

What a Freudian slip of the tongue especially coming from someone who doesn’t live or pay property taxes in Escambia County.

02-24-2008, 09:24 PM
Don’t you just love it when an idiot like Smith opens his mouth and reveals his true self?

Notice how he referred to the jail as “my jail”.

He confirmed the reports that he micromanages the jail and whoever is in charge are nothing more than puppets and figure heads. He didn’t call the jail, the “Sheriff’s Jail”, or “Escambia County’s Jail” he used his personal pronoun “My” to describe it.

What a Freudian slip of the tongue especially coming from someone who doesn’t live or pay property taxes in Escambia County.

And people wonder why the jail has issues?
First it was Dennis Williams and now it is Larry Smith.
The incompetent leadership at ECSO is the reason there are so many problems.

If the Chief would allow the director to make the decisions needed to operate the facilties things could be better.

02-25-2008, 01:19 AM
Again you guys miss the point. If we go after all of these ruthless lawbreakers it becomes a burden to who? You the tax payers. I don't always agree with the Sheriff and the Chief but they are right. In escambia county we have more violent crime to tackle. If we get caught up in arresting individuals who are WORKING here illegally we are RESPONSIBLE for their care. Law Enforcement have the power of discretion. We don't have to arrest/cite everyone we come into contact with. You guys are the bunch that complaines just to do it. Next hurricane you guys will complaine that its taking to long to roof your house because all of these hardened criminals will not come back to work here.

P.S. get some CHEESE for that WHINE!!!!

02-27-2008, 05:09 AM
oh yeah, putting them in jail is a burden on taxpayers. So what is it when they drive, unlicensed and uninsured and plow into your family? No burden there. Or how about the way they are filling up our emergency rooms and skipping out on their bills, no burden there huh? Should I go on? Make them miserable so they leave, a few bucks up front saves a lot more in the end.

02-27-2008, 05:21 AM
PPD, you are 100% correct. There are many victims already!!! I see them constantly hurting other people one way or another. Mostly car insurance or lack thereof. I say WAY TO GO SANTA ROSA!!! Sheriff Hall has guts to take a stand. Too bad he did not run for Sheriff in Escambia instead of leaving us. He must have all that extra time over there because they actually have computer systems that freakin' work in their cars that have maps that show where the calls are and they have ruggedized computers! Why don't we????

02-27-2008, 07:10 AM
He must have all that extra time over there because they actually have computer systems that freakin' work in their cars that have maps that show where the calls are and they have ruggedized computers! Why don't we????

Santa Rosa doesnt have McGrudder working on their computers. Could that be the reasons they have stuff that actually works? :shock:

02-27-2008, 01:26 PM
Magruder dont have time to worry about the computers, he stays busy cooking for the Sheriff.

02-27-2008, 01:59 PM
This is straying off the topic, but I will have to agree about the post on computers in the cars. Since we went to aircards and Tough Book computers, they have worked great. The GPS tracking can cause mixed feelings, but so far it has not been used for admin spying.

02-27-2008, 11:49 PM
I heard the GPS shows where you are but does not track a log or history.

02-28-2008, 03:00 AM
I heard the GPS shows where you are but does not track a log or history.

That is true. It shows where you are, where the calls are, you can have it show a route to a call. Eveyone can see where everyone else is and there is a large monitor in dispatch with all units on it, but it does not log anything or track speed....yet.

02-28-2008, 03:37 AM
There is a capability of GPS system to keep records. All is required is the right program tied to a computer.

For those who dont have any thing to hide, might be a goot thing. Especially if accused of being somewhere and doing something when you were't there.

02-28-2008, 01:09 PM
Ok, this is serious so I did some checking. I found the system we have was designed NOT to log officer positions because it "requires too many system resources" so even if Admin wanted to turn it on they can't because the software simply won't do it. That is good news.

So the GPS is used for positive things only like Officer Safety and fast response times. I will say it DOES improve response time and pinpoints the slugs that don't work.

Unfortunately, that is not the case down south. Check out the systems in South Florida that do track it. As they say, if you track it, it is Public Record!!!

http://www.policeone.com/police-technol ... s/1652661/ (http://www.policeone.com/police-technology/software/GIS/mapping/articles/1652661/)

If that does not work, google "GPS lets citizens monitor Fla. officers' speed"

Could you imagine it being subpoenaed. "Deputy, you regularly speed, correct?" Also, Sgt, why didn't you send the closest available unit? I see here that the responding unit got there in 5 minutes and the other unit, according to the map, could have got there in 4 minutes.

02-28-2008, 01:14 PM
Sorry... this is off the topic of undocumented workers. Someone start a new topic if they want to discuss this elsewhere.