PDA

View Full Version : training instructors

02-21-2008, 06:42 PM
who do some of those "redshirt" training instructors at burnham-mccall think they are? they act like they are so much more superior than every other pcso employee not wearing a "redshirt". it's not every one of them. i have found that most that are from the detention department are easier to deal with than SOME from the law enforcement department. those that i'm talking about treat you as if you are a child. last time i checked, pcso wasn't supposed to be employing children. get off your powertrips. that "redshirt" that you wear and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11. most mature employees watch those that i'm referring to strut around and think to themselves what a bunch of losers with no life!!

02-21-2008, 11:29 PM
who do some of those "redshirt" training instructors at burnham-mccall think they are? they act like they are so much more superior than every other pcso employee not wearing a "redshirt". it's not every one of them. i have found that most that are from the detention department are easier to deal with than SOME from the law enforcement department. those that i'm talking about treat you as if you are a child. last time i checked, pcso wasn't supposed to be employing children. get off your powertrips. that "redshirt" that you wear and 75 cents will get you a cup of coffee at 7-11. most mature employees watch those that i'm referring to strut around and think to themselves what a bunch of losers with no life!!Quit your moaning would ya?

02-21-2008, 11:41 PM
Yeah, and unfortunately one of them works @ training so you can't avoid him. Not all of us are SWAT members, though we appreciate the training, we don't appreciate being treated like a piece of crap and being humiliated in front of our peers for your enjoyment.

02-22-2008, 02:47 AM
yes i agree there are some that since they got the red shirt think they are better then the rest of us,,,, but there are some that do a very good job helping us and trying to give us the best training they can with what they have. oh and another thing whats up with the food!!!!!!!

02-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Yeah, and unfortunately one of them works @ training so you can't avoid him. Not all of us are SWAT members, though we appreciate the training, we don't appreciate being treated like a piece of crap and being humiliated in front of our peers for your enjoyment.Lordy lord quit hating because we dominate

02-23-2008, 01:55 PM
Get off of your ego trip. Your job is to instruct, not humilate.

02-24-2008, 05:20 AM
settle down children

02-24-2008, 06:52 PM
[quote="Anonymous"we don't appreciate being treated like a piece of crap and being humiliated in front of our peers for your enjoyment.Lordy lord quit hating because we dominate[/quote]

The 2nd quote wasn’t written by the one talked about in the first and most likely wasn’t even someone on swat. The original post was talking about an event during alert and again wasn’t the same member. So please check your facts before you start spreading rumors.

As far as humiliating you, please do tell us your story? Hypothetically, I would be humiliated myself if I showed up at training, didn’t take the scenarios seriously, joked about me putting myself in a situation that would get myself or another civ/leo killed or injured, disregarded basic safety instructions, didn’t pass the basic firearms quals (the first time, let alone the 3rd), shot live rounds unintentionally after instructors told you rounds were in the camber, dropped weapons, got disarmed, didnt know how to operate my weapon light, didnt know how to fix a simple malfunction or disassemble my issued weapon, and so on.

I sign up for classes that I know will benefit me and possibly save my life. I go to the range and practice. I don’t rely on instructors one day a year to "instruct" me in everything with 60 other people in 10 hrs. But hey that’s just me; it’s a lot easier to put the blame on someone else for your own actions or lack of.

You carry a gun for a living, with that comes a great responsibility. If you don’t like the details involved with that, maybe you should do the rest of us a favor and look for another line of work.

Train as you fight...fight as you train.

02-29-2008, 03:34 AM
Training is serious!!! It is for your benefit!! The instructors assume liability if they do not provide adequete training; therefore, I do not cut slack in high liablility training areas. I don't care if you been a LEO for one week or in D.R.O.P.

Anyway, see you at remedial and don't forget to arrange for a ride from ALERT!!!

BE SAFE!!!!

02-29-2008, 12:45 PM
Are the children (instructors) getting mad

02-29-2008, 12:55 PM
I feel the instructor was right in that situation but there are other times they treat you like you are a dumb ass

02-29-2008, 11:27 PM
I think the ones acting like children are the posters coming to a public forum to whine about the way they were treated. Is that the mature way of doing things? Obviously someone told you something to your face, why dont you try doing the same.

03-01-2008, 04:17 AM
oh we hurt someones feelings,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, cry me a river

03-05-2008, 01:40 AM
I wear a "Red Shirt" and am offended that some of you posters feel the need to bash the entire Instructor Cadre as a whole. It is true, there are some instructors who absolutely should not be wearing a red shirt, however, most are competent at the topic they instruct. If you feel they are not, please feel free to document your thoughts on the "Course Critique" available to you. The critiques are reviewed by the Training Staff and any negative remarks are investigated/reviewed. Another solution to your problem could be to go directly to the source. If you felt that an instructor was rude or embarrassed you in some way, why not just go talk to them about it. Maybe what they were trying to say just didn't come out right. Maybe they were having a bad day...maybe you were having a bad day...and maybe you misunderstood what they were trying to say. My point is, you'll never know unless you talk about it with them.

Anytime I instruct, I try to do my very best at delivering the subject material in a relaxed format, however, some topics do not allow much room for this ie. HIGH LIABILITY AREAS It is incumbent upon the students to be "clicked in" and focused. Safety is paramount so when a student acts/reacts in an unsafe manner, the instructor has a job to do and that is to ensure the action/reaction is stopped IMMEDIATELY. If the student shows a pattern of unsafe acts, the instructor has the right to REMOVE the student from the training area.

When this occurs, feelings/tempers will flare and words will be said...sometimes the right thing is said and sometimes maybe not so much. Everyone (including these instructors you bash) are human and make mistakes. Iv'e said things in the past while instructing or on the range that I probably shouldn't have said and other things that I wish I would have worded differently. If you ever become an instructor, maybe you will understand what I'm talking about. In the meantime, please refrain from posting statements such as what is at the top of this page.

It does NO ONE any good........ Deputy S. McCawley 5204

03-05-2008, 02:47 AM
Hey, Shawnee .. I have no problem with what you said. But I was wearing a badge and a gun in Polk County when most of the so called "red shirts" were pissing in their sheets at night and snapping bra straps in grammar school. Some of us have been doing this for a while and we dont all have 6000 ID numbers. I'm not an instructor because frankly I dont want to be one and dont have the dedication for it. I wear that damned uncomfortable green suit only when I have to. I dont know what happened to start this subject but it seems some of us have been doing something right all these years. That needs to be considered by a few of the instructors I guess.

03-05-2008, 03:14 PM
I'm not sure what incident started this topic, however, 5204 has a valid point. I think there are far TOO many members that are too quick to whine on here, instead of handling it like an adult. Does anyone think whining on here is going to fix anything? Seriously?

There are systems and procedures set into place to address situations like these. We should use them. I have left negative comments on a critique and have seen changes made from them.

What's all the beef with the 6000 numbers? Not all of them are ****y rookies that go blazing into unsafe situations. You forget that the newest trend are 5000, 4000, and even 2000 numbers that have just been released from training that are even worse off than some 6000 numbers. There are some very sharp newer deputies that this has out on the road. Not all of them are tools or lunchboxes. I'm sure some of you can think of at least one or two that you think is very squared away.

Let's face it. There are lower numbers that even some of 6000 numbers look at and shake their heads when they hear of some of the things they do.

03-05-2008, 04:57 PM
I haven’t met any bad Training Instructors at the Training Center. For the most part they all seem to be knowledgeable in the courses that they teach. However I do agree that a few need to take a course on how to treat people. It is ok to correct trainees for what they are doing wrong or a harsh correction when it is a dangerous act. However, if you are going to correct them for what they do wrong then you must commend them for what they do right. If not, then you are causing more stress to an Officer who is already stressed by facing suspension.

Training is serious, but it does not call for humiliating or belittling other officers. I spent my last 2 years in the Military training soldiers to fight in Iraq. I corrected them when they needed it and I praised them for the things that they did right. At no time did I ever humiliate or belittle them. By this type of training I taught them that there was nothing that they could adapt to and overcome any situation.

The next time you are in training at the Training Center and a Training Instructor humiliates or belittles you. Write a grievance to HR for hostile work environment.

03-08-2008, 02:07 AM
if you make a mistake that endagers safety,you should be called out for it in a public arena. then its addresssed to everyone at once so hopefully no one else does it again.

why write to hr about your problems? the adult solution was stated before; go talk to the instructor. if the instructor was a 6k number then they aren't a boss yet and have no sway over your career. be a man\woman and settle it right there,don't go behind the instructor's back and take a stab at them.

as for all new people being soup sandwiches, that's not true. there are some great go-getter deputies with good potential. experience is all most of them need. there are 1k,2k,and 5k numbers with serious deficiencies as well. time in service does not equate to a sharp deputy.

03-08-2008, 04:10 AM
To the original poster and other whiners, click on the link... ENOUGH SAID!!!!

http://www.theledger.com/article/200803 ... /803070504 (http://www.theledger.com/article/20080307/NEWS/803070504)

02-05-2009, 08:17 PM
i just took alert for this year and let me say thanks to all of the red shirts there for making this 1 of the better alerts i have been to.. there was a relaxed feeling but they took it serious they helped out and taught like training is suppose to be there was no making you feel like they were better then any 1 of us ... and for you that have not taken it and heard stories about this stress course just go out there and do your best i am 1 of the old fossils here and i did it and it was great training it really shows you how out of shape and how fast you get tired

Again thank you to all of the red shirts great job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!