PDA

View Full Version : Reorganize/Merge State LE Agencies

02-18-2008, 03:19 PM
Try this -

Florida Dept of Public Safety
Criminal Investigations Division (FDLE, INS. FRAUD, ABT, AG)
Uniform Patrol Division (FHP, DOT, Agriculture)
Crime Lab Division (FDLE, SFM ARSON LAB & INV)

FWC
Merge DEP's law enforcement units with them completely

Merge DOC and DJJ
Create separate Adult and Juvenile Divisions

Over time, this could certainly help with pay and budget issues each individual agency is dealing with. Would also eliminate duplication by state agencies. Florida missed the boat a long time ago on having one State LE Agency, what say we try to all get on one ship? Any other thoughts?

02-18-2008, 09:42 PM
I agree 100%, but it makes too much sense to happen.

02-19-2008, 01:47 AM
You know that does make too much sense! If you came up with something stupid that waisted money then those fools (State Reps & Senate) would be on board!

02-20-2008, 05:35 PM
some agencies, DOT for example, would loose federal grants by something like this.

02-20-2008, 08:07 PM
Grants can be worded anyway for any agency, can't tell me that other State's with a similiarly structured agency don't have trouble getting them...

02-21-2008, 02:09 AM
I think the key part of that phrase is that DOT would lose the grants. This new agency would get them instead. That means DOT will fight to keep their money.[/b][/i]

02-21-2008, 05:15 AM
Didn't Georgia re-organize a few years ago and establish a DPS? Under DPS is Capitol Police, Georgia State Patrol and Georgia DOT. Also, grants would only be in jeopardy if DOT was abolished (or its mission changed) Changing its chain of command shouldn't interfere with DOT's ability to receive federal grants.

02-21-2008, 03:45 PM
No need for FDLE here to be running anything but their own agency.

02-21-2008, 04:24 PM

Never said or implied in my original post that FDLE should be in charge of this type of agency...read it again. The FDLE part could simply be incorporated in a Criminal Investigation Division with the other investigative agencies. If people like you would quit being so dadgum territorial, we might get something progressive accomplished in this State.

02-23-2008, 03:40 PM

Never said or implied in my original post that FDLE should be in charge of this type of agency...read it again. The FDLE part could simply be incorporated in a Criminal Investigation Division with the other investigative agencies. If people like you would quit being so dadgum territorial, we might get something progressive accomplished in this State.

Your post makes a lot of sense, however, the idea was floated around 20 years ago and it never got off the ground. Back then I recall it being focused on FDLE incorporating ABT in its structure and if that had happened with any level of success then what you propose probably would have followed. Like another post following your original post, if it makes any sense, don't look for it to happen. Too much politics and too many turf bandits.
ABT guy

04-27-2008, 05:27 AM
United we stand divided no raises. Its something to think about.

04-27-2008, 03:35 PM
Dear DOT/COP,

Or should I address you by your true name “Richard Cranium”

In over 20 years as a LEO it just pisses me off, when idiocy such as your’s comes to light. Yes, I have a college degree, but just basic street smarts given to me at birth allowed me to read “AGENT’s” post from 2/18; that the idea is for a "Brand New" agency! Maybe you’re afraid that you’d loose your job if common sense was brought to bare and give true evaluation of your mental abilities to read and understand ideas. Well I apologize because the way the state operates, more than likely you’re Captain or Major somewhere!!

The unification of agencies will never occur just due to the fear, and ignorance that would be invoked just by the mention of this idea. And God forbid the Sheriff’s Association got wind, you’d be fired, de-certified, tarred and feathers, and then they would get nasty!

I agree with the idea that if this could be kicked off (would have to be an amendment) that the head of Pubic Safety should not be appointed, He/she should be elected and be a voting member of the Cabinet! If they’re appointed we’re no better than we are right now. As appointees they are only concerned with their standing, and their abilities to move upward and on ward not us poor pee-ons!

I don’t know why this post got me fired up, but I'm sick and tired of everyone acting like they’re two years old and fighting over who has what! As far as DOT, the grants would not be effected, those grants would only have to worded to include the structure of the new agency and which section enforces Federal Compliance laws. Now isn’t that simple enough?

04-29-2008, 01:39 AM
Try this -

Florida Dept of Public Safety
Criminal Investigations Division (FDLE, INS. FRAUD, ABT, AG)
Uniform Patrol Division (FHP, DOT, Agriculture)
Crime Lab Division (FDLE, SFM ARSON LAB & INV)

FWC
Merge DEP's law enforcement units with them completely

Merge DOC and DJJ
Create separate Adult and Juvenile Divisions

Over time, this could certainly help with pay and budget issues each individual agency is dealing with. Would also eliminate duplication by state agencies. Florida missed the boat a long time ago on having one State LE Agency, what say we try to all get on one ship? Any other thoughts?

HEY IM A TROOPER AND I THINK THIS IDEA IS GREAT. I WISH THEY WOULD DO IT. IT MAKES THE MOST SENSE

05-05-2008, 12:35 AM
Reorganization, consolidation, or whatever else you want to call it its just the latest buzz-word that really does not accomplish much.

Other than putting all of these agencies assets under one roof to streamline mobilisation for a disaster, it offers little else and it does have some problems.

Alcohol & Tobacco, Insurance Fraud, Medicare Fraud and the other investigative agencies could be under the FDLE umbrella; however, the last Commissioner of FDLE said that if he was forced to take them, he would not make them Special Agents and thus not in the FDLE pay-scale.

There may be the reduction in some mid-level management positions as a result of a merger/consolidation, but the existing problems of low pay and incompetent management will still remain.

You can put a tuxedo on a monkey, but it is still a monkey.

05-06-2008, 02:27 AM
Although the consolidation concept is good, the Florida Sheriff's Association would lobby heavily against it claiming a move toward "State Police"...their biggest fear. They're a powerful group to overcome politically.

05-10-2008, 03:35 AM
Logic and Territory has nothing to do with anything. The bottom line is the Florida Sheriffs Association will not allow any resemblance whatsoever of a (Dare I) STATE POLICE come into existence in Florida. It would in their mind become a threat to their functions and diminish their powers maybe even to a point one day of becoming just correctional rather than patrol oriented.

They weld incredible power with the Legislature and will N E V E R allow it to happen.

Remember......take away Metro S. Fla, Tampa Bay and Jax and all that's left is 1950's Florida
:idea:

06-16-2008, 05:13 PM
Homer...you're NUTS! The "last Commissioner of FDLE" NEVER said that!

Reorganization, consolidation, or whatever else you want to call it its just the latest buzz-word that really does not accomplish much.

Other than putting all of these agencies assets under one roof to streamline mobilisation for a disaster, it offers little else and it does have some problems.

Alcohol & Tobacco, Insurance Fraud, Medicare Fraud and the other investigative agencies could be under the FDLE umbrella; however, the last Commissioner of FDLE said that if he was forced to take them, he would not make them Special Agents and thus not in the FDLE pay-scale.

There may be the reduction in some mid-level management positions as a result of a merger/consolidation, but the existing problems of low pay and incompetent management will still remain.

You can put a tuxedo on a monkey, but it is still a monkey.