PDA

View Full Version : Have Enough.

02-17-2008, 03:49 PM
http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm ... wsArchive2 (http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=021708&story=op6.htm&folder=NewsArchive2)

02/17/08
North Port doesn't need more police

Editor:

The Sun featured an article recently noting the training program for new North Port Police Department recruits. In this article, the chief of police talked about hiring 12 new recruits. I am sure that I will be labeled a police hater for saying this, but we already have too many.

The economy stinks and work is scarce, but every day an army of overgrown meatheads sits around our town in brand new vehicles contemplating if they want Applebee's or McDonald's for lunch today.

The article proclaims that these jobs are so coveted. Then I say that they should require a college degree. How ridiculous is it that the people given guns and badges are, statistically, less educated than the rest of us. Require a college degree, and I am sure that we might all feel safer at night.

Matthew Dotson

North Port

02-17-2008, 04:56 PM
Wonder how long before this guy gets a traffic citation for that letter?

Old Guy
02-17-2008, 05:13 PM
I wonder who are the first people he is going to call when his families lives are in danger. Maybe it would be one of the 12 that did not get hired because of him so no one would show up. :D

02-17-2008, 05:34 PM
Maybe it would be one of the 12 that did not get hired because of him so no one would show up. :D
Or more likely it would have been because the whole night shift was sitting at the 7/11 BSing instead of being on patrol.
The need for those additional twelve was based on the furture projected growth of the city Old Dude.
Those figutes are now unrealistic and incorrect. The cities growth has dropped to a fraction of the projected growth target.
The men/women with low seniority had better have some kind of stand by employment with the new tax law voted in.
It is more then likely that there will be a decrease in the department rather then an increase.

02-17-2008, 06:50 PM
[quote]Or more likely it would have been because the whole night shift was sitting at the 7/11 BSing instead of being on patrol. The need for those additional twelve was based on the furture projected growth of the city Old Dude.

Another pro-police quoter! The Officers were based on the current levels of our population, not the future growth of the city. Henceforth, just to please you though, I will meet with the chief and cancel all breaks, lunches, and gas fill-ups for the 12 hour shifts.

02-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Henceforth, just to please you though, I will meet with the chief and cancel all breaks, lunches, and gas fill-ups for the 12 hour shifts.

Most departments don't allow an entire shift to takes it's breaks at the same time, and at the same location. Would be nice if there was at least one officer on the road patroling.
So smart a** answer your way out of that one di**head.

Maybe, just maybe, someone at the PD will wise up and figure out the reason they get such letters to the editor and negative news reports all the time.
The reason being, is the smart a**, di**head attitude that many on the PD have when dealing with the public, the media and other departments.
Just sayin.

02-17-2008, 10:38 PM
Most departments don't allow an entire shift to takes it's breaks at the same time, and at the same location.

Our department has a stricked policie on no more then two units congrigating in a public place. Stores, restaurants, etc. Even then they are to be parked out of the public eye.
Unless it has been changed, I thought that North Port had such a policy as well.

02-18-2008, 02:42 PM
Wonder how long before this guy gets a traffic citation for that letter?

He already did. Thats why he wrote the letter.

02-18-2008, 02:45 PM
We have the same policy. We even have GPS in the cars o that big brother can track us.

We get around it by unplugging the thing and parking our cars behind stores/restaurants when we want to x56.

02-19-2008, 01:53 AM
I'm pro more officers on the streets, although it kills my taxes (sigh). If NPPD doesn't get it then some city council member would. But I do have to say that parking at Walmart and Home Depot then walking over to the Applebee's to meet up with the other NPPD officers already there shouldn't be allowed either. I'm not trying to be hateful but can ya'll at least try to be a little more discrete?

02-25-2008, 09:56 AM
I see them all hanging out at perkins now. what happened ?

02-25-2008, 01:19 PM
I actually saw 9 including the so called detectives in Applebees near the new Walmart on 41 about three weeks ago at lunchtime. But I'm sure it was work related like discussing how they are going to solve the Coral Rose Fullwood murder.

02-25-2008, 02:34 PM
Most departments don't allow an entire shift to takes it's breaks at the same time, and at the same location.

Our department has a stricked policie on no more then two units congrigating in a public place. Stores, restaurants, etc. Even then they are to be parked out of the public eye.
Unless it has been changed, I thought that North Port had such a policy as well.

The department does not have that policy, but certain squads do. The night squad I am on does not allow more than 2 marked patrol cars to be in the same place at the same time unless a call/circumstance warrants it. The other night squad has no such policy, hence 3-8 squad cars together.

02-25-2008, 09:21 PM
i need to get on with a bigger force north port is weak and boring. spd/sso are ya hiring, please this palce is killing me.

02-25-2008, 09:36 PM

The department does not have that policy, but certain squads do. The night squad I am on does not allow more than 2 marked patrol cars to be in the same place at the same time unless a call/circumstance warrants it. The other night squad has no such policy, hence 3-8 squad cars together.

Well that explains why you can't park in front of the 7/11 around 3 AM. The entire shift has all their cars parked in front, including the white unmarked one.

07-03-2008, 01:27 AM
http://www.sun-herald.com/Newsstory.cfm?pubdate=021708&story=op6.htm&folder=NewsArchive2
How does a college degree make you a better cop? I can only assume that you have a college degree by the use of such educated sayings such as "overgrown meatheads". Why dont you go for a ride along one weekend, or are you to educated for that? If you want to talk stats then ponder this. Statistically Police Officers who are not college educated, make more rational decisions in the "heat of the moment". What that translates to is that they rely on training and common sense when making a decision. Last I checked law enforcement training was not part of any college curriculum. Why dont you register for the police entrance exam that NPPD requires an applicant to pass. We shall see how well your college education serves you then.

02/17/08
North Port doesn't need more police

Editor:

The Sun featured an article recently noting the training program for new North Port Police Department recruits. In this article, the chief of police talked about hiring 12 new recruits. I am sure that I will be labeled a police hater for saying this, but we already have too many.

The economy stinks and work is scarce, but every day an army of overgrown meatheads sits around our town in brand new vehicles contemplating if they want Applebee's or McDonald's for lunch today.

The article proclaims that these jobs are so coveted. Then I say that they should require a college degree. How ridiculous is it that the people given guns and badges are, statistically, less educated than the rest of us. Require a college degree, and I am sure that we might all feel safer at night.

Matthew Dotson

North Port