PDA

View Full Version : lawsuits waiting to happen

02-17-2008, 05:16 AM
the minute anything goes wrong and an active shooter goes on or someone gets hurt at fiu...imagine the lawsuits:

1. the police officer sues fiu police, and the university because he got hurt since the radio failed, and since there was no "response plan" in place. there are numerious emails and other documentation stating that the radios have failed and that the department is aware of the situation, although they choose to ignore the problem hoping it will go away...guess what chief?!? it won't and it hasn't. its only gotten worse. why did the radio system go offline for absolutely no reason at all last week??? twice in fact, once for 3 hours. 3 HOURS WITHOUT A RADIO...imagine that...CAN'T WAIT TILL THE PARENTS WHO SEND THE KIDS TO SCHOOL AT FIU REALIZE THIS.

2. the students, parents, and faculty sue fiu police because they were unprepared even in lieu of all the recent campus shootings. and because the radio system failed, or didn't work in certain spots, or because it was cloudy that day. na, but its ok, we put telephones in the classroom so we'll be ok...hahah. there are so many active shooter training classes available out there, but we're not allowed to go because it would be to intimidating or too abrasive to the community we serve. good call.

3. and assuming we eventually make it out to the scene and neutralize the shooter, the shooter and/or his family will sue fiu police because both or rifles and our glock firearms both have no SOP in place therefore we are liable. hmmm, we've had the rifles for over 3 years but they're locked in a closet and still no paperwork on them. same goes for our sidearms, 6 years and still no paperwork...can't wait for it.

oh, and if u think another department will come to our rescue, think again. while other departments would love to help, the fact of the matter remains that if they r not familiar with the fiu campus, they will be unable to find us. MDPD always comes when we ask for help, but unless the responding units are familiar with the campus, they won't find us.

thoughts, anyone??? i'd like to hear other departments perspectives on this.

02-17-2008, 05:37 AM
IF I was the VP I would fix the radios fast there is so much liability on this issue. I think people forget of a thing called public record request when something happens there just too many e-mails out there about are radios. Cover you’re A$$ and fix the problem.

02-17-2008, 05:59 AM
Did Raspberry go on the news one time and admited that we had problems with are radio system then they removed him from being the PIO

02-17-2008, 06:05 AM
My fellow officers, fear not law suits, these legal challenges are like anal sphincters, we all have one! What your command staff must be focusing on is raw intelligence, information regarding possible suspects that might go ballistic! Obviously, ubiquitous, law enforcement is an impossibility, so accurate assessment of the raw data is a must! Take nothing for granted and suspect those who are least capable of carrying on a "komikaze"mission. We are living in very challenging times and our vocations is challenged more than ever before. Stay alert and do not assume anything! You campus police officers are playing a critical role in the service and protection of our university campuses, bastions of education where our children attend to shape our nation's future, please do your best to protect them!

THANK YOU!

02-17-2008, 06:32 AM
My fellow officers, fear not law suits, these legal challenges are like arse sphincters, we all have one! What your command staff must be focusing on is raw intelligence, information regarding possible suspects that might go ballistic! Obviously, ubiquitous, law enforcement is an impossibility, so accurate assessment of the raw data is a must! Take nothing for granted and suspect those who are least capable of carrying on a "komikaze"mission. We are living in very challenging times and our vocations is challenged more than ever before. Stay alert and do not assume anything! You campus police officers are playing a critical role in the service and protection of our university campuses, bastions of education where our children attend to shape our nation's future, please do your best to protect them!

THANK YOU!

Well said..and appreciated.

02-17-2008, 02:01 PM
i saw your post on our site, and appreciate the fact that you asked our advice. so here it is.
bring it to the media and the county and state governments. because you are ofcourse under the state educational system. the pressure will either piss off your brass or force them to supply you with the equipment and training/sops required to run an operational police department. they're obviously treating you like you're not police but wackenhut. actually, i think those guys have their sht together. sorry for the vulgarity, we roll like that in the city. broadcasting the truth about your department will most likely do both (both annoy and accomplish).
either way, with the way things are happening in the country you deserve to be well trained and have a solid foundation for your operations. but it starts with the supervisors. and their supervisors. a department our size moves a bit slower, but with a small department like yours, this could easily be resolved if your brass actually cares about the wellbeing of their men and mission. i was shocked to read the original post, i'm sure most have no idea. let it be known!
good luck, i hope you atleast get your radios. ours work. i wish our computers, cars, and chief did too. but that may just be asking a little too much.

02-17-2008, 02:54 PM
As an FIU alumni and 27 year veteran of the Miami Police Department, I urge the administration to fix everything that is wrong with your department.

With everything that is happening on college campuses these days, I want the resident law enforcement agency to be top notch and prepared for anything. UM practices safeguards on a regular basis, why not FIU. In a year I will be sending a child off to college and I am scared stiff at that prospect.

Secondly, after retirement at the end of the year from the department, I will be attending FIU to earn credits needed for my teaching certificate. Rest assurred that as a retired law enforcement officer, under Federal bill H.R. 218 I will packing my trusty Glock 40 despite what rules the university may have about such things.

02-17-2008, 02:57 PM
With all of the bloodshed that has been occurring on campuses nationwide, after retirement at the end of the year from the department, I will be attending FIU to earn credits needed for my teaching certificate. Rest assurred that as a retired law enforcement officer, under Federal bill H.R. 218 I will packing my trusty Glock 40 despite what rules the university may have about such things.

This is in no way reflective on the ability of the brothers and sisters of the FIU department to protect me but a failure on university administration to correct the obvious problems.

02-17-2008, 03:14 PM
thank u for ur opinion. why is it that everyone can see the problem here except our brass and our university admin???

anyways, we appreciate ur reply and viewpoint. good luck and stay safe.

02-17-2008, 06:09 PM
50000 dollar bonus for a university employee this year but not even 50 cent for the radios.

02-17-2008, 06:31 PM
My daugther is doing her master at Fiu,she has been trained by me(mpd) in what to doin an active shooter situation,the first thing is to call me with her qth,second seek shelter till i get there with my ar running a 3-15 and third i will help you guys.Good luck.You need TRAINING,EQUIPMENT and SUPPORT from your staff.

02-17-2008, 09:16 PM
i guess your command staff has the problem solved.

1. it will never happen here
2. it will never happen here
3. it will never happen here, because wish it not to?

i guess you need a new command staff. the days of not offending the public because you are cops and the students might be slighted are over. i seem to recall a double homicide on your campus. i guess those could never happend either. your main campus is in a major metro area, crime could never come and visit???

02-17-2008, 09:42 PM
how about the numerous gun arrests on campus???? our entire football team has felony pasts...it seems everyone has a knife on them...a dramatic increase in armed robberies overthe past year...felons who escape and run rampant on campus...God knows how many baker acts we have on campus...not to mention the fact that sweetwater is 100 feet to our north...tell me how sweetwater can have a great swat/srt team, rifles, a response plan, yet FIU believes we have no need for them...i guess criminals from sweetwater can't make it across 8th st huh??

somebody wake up our department please!

02-17-2008, 09:48 PM
I have two kids that go to FIU can anyone tell me what’s going on with radios. One of my friends Midwest told me the radio went down. My son show me article in the student news paper about the radio but at the time the chief said the university was going to fix the problems. This was a couple of years now what happened.

02-17-2008, 10:26 PM
thank u for ur opinion. why is it that everyone can see the problem here except our brass and our university admin???

anyways, we appreciate ur reply and viewpoint. good luck and stay safe.

cause my fellow ofc...everything is about money and the manner they can get more if no one speaks up about the flaws there.......I agree that the media should be tipped off via a student, teacher, family member etc anyone except the ofc and keep the fire burning until something is done about it....stay safe

02-17-2008, 11:58 PM
Who has a link to when the FIU Police Admin was speaking to the media about how FIU is prepared

02-18-2008, 12:00 AM
Who has a link to when the FIU Police Admin was speaking to the media about how FIU is prepared

i'm sure its somewhere online...i'll ask around and see if anyone has it

02-18-2008, 03:48 PM
http://media.www.beaconnewspaper.com/me (http://media.www.beaconnewspaper.com/media/storage/paper540/news/2007/04/02/News/Officers.Still.Complain.Over.Faulty.Radios-2817801.shtml) ... 7801.shtml

http://www.nbc6.net/video/12315656/index.html

goodcop43
02-18-2008, 10:59 PM
Wow, and these two links are a year or so old?? The media would have a field day if they realize it's still the same radio system with no improvements. It doesn't help the issue in the new Beacon article that came out today when you have a sgt saying that both radios have their dead spots and so forth. If you're whining and complaining about the radio system we have now.. uh.. would you not want to say anything about the county radios? Guess when you have the stripes you have to begin to also play the political games.

03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
As a former UPD officer and a husband of a beautiful wife who presently works for a state university, I can understand your situation completely.

There is one thing that needs to be clarified right now. The administration of the univeristy DOES NOT like or want UPD around at all. You have to remember that most of the administration are tree hugging liberals who don't like anyone or anything telling them what to do. They especially hate authority figures.

If it weren't for state statue, there would not be a UPD at all. Look at the University of South Florida in Tampa. They have hired a private, unarmed security company to pick up the slack of UPD. The UPD can't keep officers because of pay. Instead of giving the officers a pay increase, the administration hired the security company. It now leaves only 15 officers for the university and the numbers are falling. Best of all, the money that has been allocated for the security company would pay the salary for 5 additional officers for over 5 years. Go figure!

Long story short, most of the officers of the UPD are great hard working people that don't deserve this treatment. But, when the mentality of the school is that because they have a docorate degree, the administration will know what is best for all.

My years as a UPD officer were great times with great people, but in the end, I needed more money for my family and most of all, I needed to be able to do my job the best way I could. When the administration with their doctorate degrees thought they knew what was best, the UPD fell out of the loop. My cases were overturned 75% of the time because the administration did not want egg on their face for having to deal with some bone head kid who either raped a gal after a frat party with alcohol involved on campus, or some kid who was dealing drugs from his dorm room. Stats must be reported under the Cleary act, and everyone can see those numbers, including prospective students.

To all UPD officers, please keep up the great work, and know that I support all of you 100%.

03-17-2008, 07:30 PM
HEY FIU ADMIN, POLICE OFFICERS YOU DON'T NEED THEM, WHAT A WAIST OF MONEY FOR YOU TO SPEND ! :oops: JUST THINK OF ALL THOSE EXTRA PARKING SLOTS YOU COULD CREATE. :idea: NOT TO MENTION THOSE GREAT RADIO'S YOU OWN. NOW THAT WAS A GREAT INVESTMENT. :lol: HOW ABOUT A LITTLE RAPE IN A DORM OR A FEW BREAK-INS, :roll: AWE NO PROBLEM JUST CALL METRO-DADE THELL BE THERE IN ABOUT A FEW DAYS. :!: AND LETS NOT FORGET THOSE STOP SIGNS, NO COPS NO ENFORCEMENT, :P YOU CAN DO AWAY WITH THEM. AND GOD FORBID YOU HAVE AN INCIDENT WHERE STUDENTS GET HURT, :?: NAW, WE WONT EVEN CARE WHAT THE LAW SUITS CALL FOR BECAUSE YOULL HAVE YOUR OWN LAW STUDENTS HANDLE THE SUIT AND CALL IT A INTERMSHIP. :? SO KEEP POLICE OFFICERS ON THE BACK BURNER, IGNORE THEM BECAUSE THEY ARE WELL MEANING BUT GET IN THE WAY ,AND IT WILL BITE YOU ON THE ASSSSSSSSSS SOMDAY. WHY CARE NOTHING HAPPENS AT FIU, YET . :oops: