PDA

View Full Version : Absolute Shame

02-15-2008, 09:20 PM
http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20 ... /741354416 (http://www.heraldtribune.com/article/20080215/BREAKING03/741354416)

Our agency and leadership is absolutely horrible. NPPD here I come!

02-15-2008, 09:46 PM
SO instead of taking responsibility and making things right to fix this screwed up excuse of a dispatch center, we attack the media for doing their jobs. Maybe if CCSO 911's center had done their job that night. It would have ended differently. Very Sad and disappointed in the Sheriff's response also. This is not a mistake that happens once in a while up there. These call takers and dispatchers dont even know what questions to ask a caller. How many times have we all heard "The caller didnt state"...no, you mean "Oh, we didnt ask that"....God help us all.

02-15-2008, 10:00 PM
This doesn't have much to do with admin because they only see what they are given to see, especcially when it has to do with the little guys... this really doesn't have anything to do with road patrol AT ALL... and it has only a little to do with many dispatchers. But I'm going to be honest here.... this has EVERYTHING to do with keeping someone on the payroll that has been here for a long time, simply because they HAVE been here for a long time... no matter how absolutely incompetent they have proven themselves over and over and over again... was it an intentional oversight or because they were busy?? NO... it's because that person responsible (who I might add I actually like as a person) is an older person who didn't connect the dots, and who IMO has shown several times is incapable of such things.

If nearly ANYONE else had answered the phone I truly believe this would be different... AND who was supposed to be monitoring what was going on in the room?????? Were they off doing other things? Or are you going to blame the NEXTEL? I would normally never get on here and call this stuff out... but I'm being honest... I don't even know who the second operator suspended is, but what I do know is that there ARE actually several competent people up there that would have been all over that stuff, and it's a crying shame that none of them were working. :(

02-15-2008, 10:37 PM
Geeeesh you all act like this is the first time this has happened. This has happened hundreds of times, just not as drastic. One person to blame. OUR LEADER

02-15-2008, 11:19 PM
Wonder if the Gov. is going to have an investigation in to Davenports lying about the content of the 911 call?

02-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Wonder if the Gov. is going to have an investigation in to Davenports lying about the content of the 911 call?

Youre stupid. Please explain to me how he lied.

02-16-2008, 01:00 AM
I personally think the punishment should be more harsh, however I dont see how you can say the Sheriff lied.

02-16-2008, 02:29 AM
His first public statement about the 911 call, was that there was no mention about the type of car or color given by the caller.
Don't know what kind of personal ethics some might be applying but that would qualify as a lie in my book.

02-16-2008, 12:33 PM
Wow, the supervisor gets nothing out of this, so much for accountablility. She is also the head trainer so the extra training will be a joke. It is amazing how she was sitting next to the IA Captain during the search laughing and giggling while everyone else was being briefed. No conflict of interest here. Food for thought.

02-16-2008, 02:47 PM
Davenport has said in memos and speeches that if you lie, you will be fired, because we (members of the office) as public servants, our integrity is of the utmost importance. If you have no integrity because you have lied then all you do in court or public interaction will be of nil. If you are found out to have lied, then you will be fired no questions asked.

So my question is will Davenport resign his position as he lied and has no creditability now with the members of the agency or public due to his earlier press conference and outright lies that are now evident by his still positioning of cover up?????

This is a huge burden our agency now has to live with :shock:

02-17-2008, 12:02 AM
I don't know how the dispatchers could show their faces around the office. If this call was handled correctly there is a very good chance that Denise would still be alive. Way to go!

Then how can the Sheriff give a press conference and not even give an apology to the family for his agencies screw up.......

02-17-2008, 12:27 AM
How many dispatchers does it take to forget to dispatch a 911 call that could have possibly saved a 21 yoa mother of two? 3 and a supervisor. And for this they get a grand total of 96 hours off and probation for 6 months. Wow Sheriff you showed them!

02-17-2008, 01:01 AM
Davenport has said in memos and speeches that if you lie, you will be fired, because we (members of the office) as public servants, our integrity is of the utmost importance. If you have no integrity because you have lied then all you do in court or public interaction will be of nil. If you are found out to have lied, then you will be fired no questions asked.

So my question is will Davenport resign his position as he lied and has no creditability now with the members of the agency or public due to his earlier press conference and outright lies that are now evident by his still positioning of cover up?????

I think the Sheriff is handeling this wrong, but I still dont think he lied. In the first interview he said the caller only said the car was a camaro and the passenger was a young child. Where have you heard that he ever said something different? Where have you heard that any of that was untrue?

Even if the caller did give a more accurate description, it would be stupid for the Sheriff to flat out knowingly lie and then 2 weeks later change his story. I dont think that is what happened. I do however think he should be a little less POed at the media and a lot more POed at the dispatchers who screwed up. His priorities are a little out of place in my opnion. The punishment was far too lenient. The Sheriff appears like he has a chip on his shoulders when it comes tot he media. Although I was glad to see Cameron give an appoligy for the mistakes that were made. At least someone has said it.

02-17-2008, 01:41 PM

I think the Sheriff is handling this wrong, but I still dont think he lied. In the first interview he said the caller only said the car was a camaro and the passenger was a young child. Where have you heard that he ever said something different? Where have you heard that any of that was untrue?

Even if the caller did give a more accurate description, it would be stupid for the Sheriff to flat out knowingly lie and then 2 weeks later change his story. I dont think that is what happened. I do however think he should be a little less POed at the media and a lot more POed at the dispatchers who screwed up. His priorities are a little out of place in my opnion. The punishment was far too lenient. The Sheriff appears like he has a chip on his shoulders when it comes tot he media. Although I was glad to see Cameron give an appoligy for the mistakes that were made. At least someone has said it.

COMPLETED TRANSCRIPT FROM BOB CARPENTER OF THE SHERIFF'S 1ST SPEECH

DATE: January 25, 2008

TIME: 2:43 p.m.

CHARLOTTE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE, Punta Gorda, Florida

NEWS RELEASE:

TEXT OF CHARLOTTE COUNTY SHERIFF JOHN DAVENPORT’S STATEMENT AT PRESS CONFERENCE

“GOOD AFTERNOON.

THE PURPOSE OF TODAY’S PRESS CONFERENCE IS TO CLARIFY SOME ISSUES THAT HAVE SO FAR BEEN WRONGFULLY REPRESENTED OR INTERPRETED BY SOME MEMBERS OF THE MEDIA REGARDING SOME ASPECTS OF THE DENISE LEE INVESTIGATION.

I MUST FIRST TELL YOU THAT I AM NOT ABLE TO DISCUSS MATERIAL FACTS OF THIS INVESTIGATION WITH YOU TODAY NOR CAN I ANSWER YOUR QUESTIONS ON MATERIAL FACTS OF THIS CASE. THE DEFENSE ATTORNEY REPRESENTING THE ACCUSED KILLER MICHAEL KING HAS FILED A MOTION IN THE COURTS COMMONLY KNOWN AS A “GAG ORDER” FOR ALL LAW ENFORCEMENT AGENCIES NOT TO COMMENT ANYMORE ABOUT THIS CASE. THE STATE ATTORNEY HANDLING THE PROSECUTION OF THIS CASE HAS ASKED US TO HONOR THIS MOTION UNTIL A JUDGE RULES ON IT. THERE IS NOTHING MORE IMPORTANT AT THIS TIME THAN TO PRESERVE THE INTEGRITY OF THIS INVESTIGATION AND SAY OR DO ANYTHING THAT COULD HINDER THE SUCCESSFUL PROSECUTION AND RIGHTFUL SENTENCING OF THE PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THIS HORRIFIC CRIME.

THAT BEING SAID, LET ME ADDRESS THE INFORMATION I INVITED YOU HERE TO DISCUSS. ON THE DAY THAT MICHAEL KING WAS CHARGED WITH THE MURDER OF DENISE LEE, THERE WAS AN AFFIDAVIT RELEASED BY THE NORTH PORT POLICE DEPARTMENT DETAILING THE PROBABLE CAUSE FOR THE MURDER CHARGE. CONTAINED IN THAT AFFIDAVIT WAS A PARAGRAPH DETAILING A STATEMENT GIVEN BY A WITNESS IN THIS CASE, A MRS. JANET KOWALSKI. MRS. KOWALSKI IS A WITNESS THAT WAS DEVELOPED DUE TO A 9-1-1 CALL MADE FROM HER CELL PHONE AT 6:30 P.M. ON THE NIGHT OF DENISE LEE’S DISSAPPEARANCE. THAT PARAGRAPH IN THE AFFIDAVIT DESCRIBES WHAT MRS. KOWLASKI TOLD THE CRIMINAL INVESTIGATORS DURING AN IN-DEPTH INTERVIEW WITH THE INVESTIGATORS THREE DAYS AFTER THE INCIDENT.

IT HAS BEEN WRONGFULLY REPORTED BY SOME MEDIA SOURCES THAT THE INFORMATION WRITTEN IN THE AFFIDAVIT ABOUT WHAT MRS. KOWALKSI STATED SHE SAW WAS THE SAME INFORMATION THAT MRS. KOWALSKI GAVE TO THE 9-1-1 CALL TAKER AT THE CHARLOTTE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE DURING HER CELL PHONE CALL. IT IS OBVIOUS THAT ANYONE READING THE AFFIDAVIT, WITHOUT ANY OTHER FACTS, WOULD COME TO THE ASSUMPTION AND CONCLUSION THAT THIS INFORMATION IS REFLECTIVE OF THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO THE 9-1-1 OPERATOR THE NIGHT OF THE ACTUAL CALL. BUT THE INFORMATION LISTED IN THE AFFIDAVIT IS NOT REFLECTIVE OF THE INFORMATION GIVEN TO THE 9-1-1 OPERATOR THAT NIGHT.

WHILE WE CANNOT RELEASE THE ACTUAL CONTENTS OF THAT 9-1-1 CALL AT THIS TIME, WE CAN TELL YOU WHAT IS NOT IN THE 9-1-1 CALL:

1. THE AFFIDAVIT INDICATED THAT MRS. KOWALSKI STATED THAT “THE DRIVER KEPT PUSHING SOMEONE DOWN IN BETWEEN THE BACK SEAT OF THE VEHICLE.” THIS WAS NOT IN THE 9-1-1 CALL.

2. THE AFFIDAVIT INDICATED THAT MRS. KOWALKSI STATED THAT “SHE THEN OBSERVED A FEMALE’S HAND SLAPPING THE LEFT PASSENGER SIDE WINDOW AS IF SHE WERE TRYING TO GET OUT.” NOWHERE IN THE 9-1-1 CALL DID SHE SAY “FEMALE” OR “WOMAN.”

3. THE MEDIA REORTED THAT SHE INDICATED IT WAS A GREEN CAMARO. SHE DID NOT SAY GREEN IN THE 9-1-1 CALL.

MRS. KOWALSKI DID A GREAT THING IN REPORTING WHAT SHE HAD SEEN. WE WISH ALL CITIZENS WOULD TAKE MRS. KOWLASKI’S LEAD AND REPORT ALL SUSPICIOUS ACTIVITIES TO AUTHORITIES. BUT, WHAT MRS. KOWLASKI WAS REPORTING TO THE 9-1-1 CALLTAKER AT THAT MOMENT IN THE INVESTIGATION, BORE LITTLE RESEMBLANCE TO THE CALL INVOLVING THE SEARCH FOR DENISE LEE.

MRS. KOWALSKI ONLY HAD A SHORT TIME TO SEE AND REPORT WHAT SHE WAS SEEING TO THE CALL TAKER BEFORE THE VEHICLE SHE WAS WATCHING, WHICH WAS BEHIND HER, TURNED AT AN INTERSECTION AND SHE LOST SIGHT OF IT. ALTHOUGH THE CALL TAKER KEEPS MRS. KOWALSKI ON THE PHONE TO GET INFORMATION FROM HER, MRS. KOWALSKI IS NO LONGER IN SIGHT OF THE VEHICLE IN QUESTION.

IT HAS ALSO BEEN ASKED BY THE MEDIA IF A BULLETIN RADIOED TO THE CHARLOTTE COUNTY DEPUTIES AT 6:35 P.M. THAT EVENING REGARDING THE DESCRIPTION OF THE VEHICLE AND OF DENISE LEE WAS GIVEN TO OTHER AGENCIES BY OUR OFFICE. THE ANSWER IS NO. THAT BULLETIN WAS NOT A REGIONAL BULLETIN. REGIONAL BULLETINS IN THIS CASE WERE SUBMITTED BY THE NORTH PORT POLICE DEPARTMENT ONLY. THIS RADIO BULLETIN WAS NOTHING MORE THAN THE CHARLOTTE COUNTY DISPATCHERS INFORMING THE CHARLOTTE COUNTY RESPONDING DEPUTIES THAT WERE ON THEIR WAY TO NORTH PORT AS TO WHERE THEY WERE TO GO AND WHAT THEY SHOULD BE LOOKING FOR. THIS BULLETIN WAS ISSUED AT THE VERY SAME TIME MRS. KOWALSKI WAS ON THE PHONE TO OUR CALL TAKER. COINCIDENTALLY, THE AREA THAT THE 10 RESPONDING DEPUTIES FROM CHARLOTTE COUNTY WERE GIVEN TO RESPOND TO IN THAT BULLETIN IS THE EXACT AREA THAT MRS. KOWALSKI LAST SAW THE VEHICLE SHE HAD BEEN WATCHING.

THERE HAVE ALSO BEEN RUMORS AND QUESTIONS ABOUT WHETHER CHARLOTTE COUNTY DISPATCHERS HAVE BEEN SUSPENDED OVER THE HANDLING OF MRS. KOWALSKI’S CALL. NOBODY HAS BEEN SUSPENDED. CALL TAKER MILDRED STEPP WAS TEMPORARILY PLACED ON ADMINISTRATIVE LEAVE WITH PAY UNTIL SHE COULD BE INTERVIEWED IN CONNECTION WITH THE ACTUAL 9-1-1 RECORDING BUT HAS SINCE RETURNED TO DUTY AFTER HER INTERVIEW. AN INTERNAL INVESTIGATION CONTINUES TO EVALUATE THE HANDLING OF THE INFORMATION RECEIVED AND DISSEMINATED THROUGH THE COMMUNICATIONS CENTER THAT NIGHT. WE CANNOT COMMENT ABOUT ANY OF THAT UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THE INTERNAL INVESTIGATION.

I WANT YOU ALL TO REMEMBER THAT THIS CASE HAS AFFECTED THIS COMMUNITY AND THIS AGENCY VERY DEEPLY. AND YOU MUST ALL KNOW THAT THE CALL TAKERS AND DISPATCHERS WORKING THAT NIGHT HAVE BEEN EXTREMELY AFFECTED BY THIS CASE. THE STRESSES IN THE 9-1-1 CENTER DURING INCIDENTS OF THIS MAGNITUDE IS TREMENDOUS AND THOSE EMPLOYEES WHO WORK IN THAT CENTER DO A TREMENDOUS JOB UNDER SUCH CONDITIONS. WE AS MANAGEMENT HAVE TO BE CONCERNED WITH THEIR WELL BEING AFTER SUCH A DIFFICULT TIME AND HAVE TO ENSURE THAT THEY CAN CONTINUE TO SERVE THE CITIZENS TO THE BEST OF THEIR ABILITY. MANY TIMES, GOOD PEOPLE QUIT THIS PROFESSION AFTER GOING THROUGH SOMETHING LIKE THIS DUE TO THE PERSONAL STRESS THEY ENDURE AND CANNOT COME TO GRIPS WITH. I WANT YOU ALL TO REMEMBER THOSE EMPLOYEES AS WE ALL SEEK THE ANSWERS IN THIS CASE. IT IS ALWAYS EASY TO MONDAY MORNING QUARTERBACK THE GAME WHEN YOU WEREN’T ONE OF THOSE PEOPLE ON THE FIELD WHILE IT WAS BEING PLAYED. WE WILL CRITIQUE OUR ACTIONS AND WILL TAKE NECESSARY STEPS TO CORRECT ANYTHING WE FIND WE CAN DO BETTER. I AM ASKING THE MEDIA AND THE PUBLIC TO PLEASE GIVE US TIME TO CONDUCT THIS CRITIQUE BEFORE JUMPING TO UNSUBSTANTIATED CONCLUSIONS FOR THE SAKE OF ALL INVOLVED.

I WANT TO CLOSE BY SAYING THIS; THE EXPERT POLICE WORK THAT WAS PERFORMED DURING THIS CASE BY ALL AGENCIES INVOLVED SHOULD NOT BE OVERLOOKED. THE FACT THAT THE ALLEGED PERPERTRATOR OF THIS HEINOUS CRIME WAS IN CUSTODY WITHIN HOURS OF THE CALL AND THE DISCOVERY OF DENISE LEE WITHIN LESS THAN TWO DAYS WITH NO CLUES OR HELP FROM THE PERSON ARRESTED, IS TESTIMONY OF THE EXPERTISE AND DEDICATION OF ALL THE LAW ENFORCEMENT PROFESSIONALS AND COMMUNITY MEMBERS THAT WERE INVOLVED IN THIS INVESTIGATION AND SEARCH.

I CANNOT TELL YOU HOW IMPORTANT IT WAS TO THE GOFF AND LEE FAMILIES THAT DENISE BE BROUGHT HOME TO THEM AND HOW THANKFUL THEY WERE THAT NOBODY GAVE UP LOOKING UNTIL WE HAD BROUGHT HER HOME TO HER FAMILY. WE ALL WISH THAT THE OUTCOME COULD HAVE BEEN DIFFERENT. WE ALL WISH WE COULD HAVE BROUGHT DENISE HOME UNHARMED. BUT THAT WASN’T IN GOD’S PLAN. AND RIGHT NOW, WHILE WE SEARCH FOR ANSWERS AND INSTINCTIVELY TRY TO ASSIGN BLAME, WE MUST ALL REMEMBER THAT THE ONLY PERSON RESPONSIBLE FOR THE DEATH OF DENISE LEE IS THE PERSON THAT KIDNAPPED AND MURDERED HER.

THANK YOU!”

((As written and presented by CCCO Sheriff John Davenport))

TO MEDIA: Photos of press conference available upon request.

PREPARED BY:

Bob Carpenter, CCSO-PIO

941/575-5252

7474 Utilities Rd.,

((At Golf Course Blvd., across from CC Airport.))

Punta Gorda, FL 33982

COMPLETED TRANSCRIPT OF THE SHERIFF'S SPEECH

DATE: February 15, 2008

TIME: 4:00 p.m.

CHARLOTTE COUNTY SHERIFF’S OFFICE, Punta Gorda, Florida

NEWS RELEASE:

CCSO SHERIFF JOHN DAVENPORT STATEMENT AT PRESS CONFERENCE ON INTERNAL AFFAIRS REPORT

Statement as written by Charlotte County Sheriff John Davenport:

“On January 25, 2008 I held a press conference reference the 911 call made by Jane Kowalski on the evening of January 17th. At that press conference I asked the media to please refrain from reporting information about this call and give us time to conduct our internal investigation to determine how this call was handled and if any policy violations had occurred. I had also indicated that once we were concluded with our internal investigation I would hold another press conference to report our findings.

Throughout my tenure as Sheriff I believe I have been very forthright and forthcoming with the media and our citizens with issues dealing with criminal cases as well as cases involving investigations of our own members. I have always tried to provide as much information as I could to the media and the public, while at the same time trying to be fair in protecting the rights of those members involved as well as the integrity of the cases we have investigated.

Unfortunately since that initial press conference I have been extremely disappointed with certain members of the media and their lack of patience in waiting for the internal investigation to be completed. They have continued to report inaccurate information and unfairly not only questioned my integrity but the integrity of the members of this Sheriff’s Office. For this I am deeply disappointed.

Our internal investigation has been completed. It has been the policy of our Office in the past to refrain from commenting about any internal investigation and letting the investigation speak for itself due to potential employee due process issues that could arise from such an investigation. We will abide with that policy in this case as well and I will not be answering questions about the internal investigation.

I first want to thank the Florida Department of Law Enforcement for providing Agent Yolanda Carbia to be involved in the investigation. The results of our internal investigation are as follows:

I have sustained two violations of policy by Dispatcher Susan Kallestad to include:

1. Violation to Respond to Calls for Service by failing to send units to the North Port call to Toledo Blade and Highway 41.

2. Violation of Official Procedures or Directives by failing to contact North Port Police Department as instructed by road patrol Sergeant Floyd Davis.

I am imposing the following discipline against Dispatcher Kallestad for these violations:

Suspension without pay for a period of 60 hours;

Participate in 12 hours of remedial training as developed by the Communication Section APCO Certified Trainer;

Six months disciplinary probation;

Participate in our Critical Incident Stress Management Debriefing.

I have sustained one violation of policy by Dispatcher Elizabeth Martinez to include:

1. Violation to Respond to Calls for Service by failing to send units to the North Port call to Toledo Blade and Highway 41.

I am imposing the following discipline against Dispatcher Martinez for this violation:

Suspension without pay for a period of 36 hours;

Participate in 12 hours of remedial training as developed by the Communication Section APCO Certified Trainer;

Six months disciplinary probation;

Participate in our Critical Incident Stress Management Debriefing.

Although no policy violations were discovered, both Call Taker Mildred Stepp and Supervisor Laurie Piatt will be counseled on their role in the 911 call and will be required to participate in our Critical Incident Stress Management Debriefing.

In reference to the actual 911 call, as I stated numerous times at the first press conference, the 911 call has been turned over to the North Port Police Department as evidence in their case.

Yesterday we were in contact with the Sarasota County State’s Attorney Office and were told to advise all media representatives that from this date forward any requests for any information dealing with this particular 911 call, including the release of the 911 tape itself, will be made through the Sarasota County State’s Attorney’s Office not through the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office.

The media may request copies of the internal investigation through normal public records requests. Be aware however that certain information may be redacted in order to comply with the request of the Sarasota County State’s Attorney.”

PREPARED BY:

Bob Carpenter, CCSO-PIO

941/575-5252

7474 Utilities Rd.,

((At Golf Course Blvd., across from CC Airport.))

Punta Gorda, FL 33982

NOW GO THROUGH THEM AND NOTICED THE DIFFERENCES FOR YOURSELF TO SEE IF HE LIED. I WILL NOT TRY TO SWAY YOU ANYWAY, AS YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ON YOUR OWN.

02-17-2008, 11:52 PM
Regarding the Kowalski 911 call, Bob Carpenter, the public information officer for CCSO, on January 25, 2008, is quoted as saying:

"We can defend ourselves, but we don't want to hurt the investigation, we don't feel we did anything wrong." (Charlotte Sun, John Hackworth)

Doesn't he speak for the Sheriff?

How is he going to defend the Sheriff and the department regarding the Kowalski 911 call, when the IA report indicates there was NO response to her call and the details of that call were never forwarded to anyone, not Charlotte deputies who were within minutes of 41 and Toledo Blade at the moment the call was made, not North Port Police (they learned of the 911 call from Ms. Kowalski herself days after the call was made, because as she feared, no one in the 911/dispatch center at CCSO did anything about her call), not Sarasota SO, not FHP, not anybody.

Why is the Sheriff office making these comments on Friday, Jan. 25, when they knew on Friday, Jan. 18 (according to the IA report), a week earlier that the Kowalski 911 call was mishandled, excuse me, was NOT handled at all.

Please take a look at the contents of the Kowalski 911 call and explain how, as Sheriff Davenport said, "what Mrs. Kowalski was reporting to the 911-call taker a that moment in the investigation, bore little resemblance to the call involving the search for Denise Lee."

Ms. Kowalski saw a person in distress in a Camaro at U.S. 41 and Toledo Blade at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2008.

Sheriff's office CAD records show CCSO knew Denise Lee was found missing from her home at 3:30 p.m. on that same date and a Camaro may have been involved. Her home was no more than 7 miles from the intersection.

How doesn't this bare resemblance?

And if you don't think it does, why not send her information on to the investigating agency, the North Port Police Department. We know the IA found one dispatcher guilty of not doing just that.

But hold on, if as the Sheriff said the information bore little resemblance, who responded to the call of the 5 to 10 year old child in distress? We now know NO ONE.

Who met with Ms. Kowalski (as she requested) and took her statement that night? NO ONE.

Michael King killed Denise Amber Lee, but the CCSO pissed away the best chance to save her life. Just take a look at the report to see how many CCSO units were minutes from the intersection of Toledo Blade and 41 at the moment of the Kowalski 911 call. Note, Kowalski was on the phone with 911 for approx. 9 minutes and traveled more than 3 miles in front of King's car. King killed and buried Denise just five miles away from U.S. 41 and Toledo Blade, just 5 miles down the road in the same direction Kowalski reported the Camaro traveling.

Sheriff Davenport, thanks for apologizing to the family, oh that's right you have not, the Chief Deputy (the one running for Sheriff in Nov.) did.

I fully expect Sheriff Davenport will play bad cop and the Chief Deputy will someday (prior to the election) tell us how he fixed the 911 center. So that the same administration that failed Ms. Kowalski, that failed Denise Lee and left her 6 month old and 2 year old without a mother, can continue to protect and serve our community. Boy, do I feel safe.

Supervisors are responsible for their employees.

That means the Captain who oversees the 911 (who by the way decided to remove the Nextel phones from communications within the week following the mishandling of the Kowalski 911 call), the Chief Deputy and the Sheriff all must take some responsibility for the actions of those they supervise.

Public Information officers speak for the Sheriff.

The comments of Bob Carpenter on Jan. 25 made on behalf of the Sheriff (8 days after CCSO failed Denise Lee and 7 days after they knew the Kowalski 911 call was mishandled) are reprehensible.

Carpenter should be fired.

And any administrator responsible for the supervision of the employees who allowed this to happen and failed Denise Lee and her family, should take a long look in the mirror and consider doing the honorable thing and RESIGN.

Sheriff Davenport upon advising that he asked for the Florida Department of Law Enforcement to assist with the IA investigation on Jan. 25, said he wants the public to remain confident in his agency and its members and feels that FDLE's involvement will provide some peace of mind for everyone as they all try to come to grips with this horrible crime.

I have no confidence.

I have not had any peace of mind since Jan. 17.

And the IA investigation has not given me any either.

My recommendation to the citizens of Charlotte County is if you have an emergency for which you would call 911, DRIVE 3 MILES NORTH OF U.S. 41 AND TOLEDO BLADE BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR 911 CALL. AT LEAST SOMEONE MIGHT RESPOND.

02-18-2008, 12:29 AM
NOW GO THROUGH THEM AND NOTICED THE DIFFERENCES FOR YOURSELF TO SEE IF HE LIED. I WILL NOT TRY TO SWAY YOU ANYWAY, AS YOU CAN MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION ON YOUR OWN.

I still dont see where you think the Sheriff lied.

In the first article he said not to jump to conclusions until after the investigation, which has since been completed. In the first article he also said that the caller gave information in the North Port PCA that she did not give the dispatcher during the original call.

Where did he ever change his story?

All he said was there will be an investigation and dont jump to conclusions until then...Then he substantiated two policy violations. One for not doing what she was instructed to do by Sgt. Davis and the other for not sending any deputies to the call that came in. He did not change his story at all. In my book that certainly not the definition of a lie or a cover up.

02-18-2008, 12:58 AM
Something is Rotten in Charlotte County, Florida. If a mentally deficient jackass Corrections Deputy in Hillsborough County gets brought up on criminal charges for throwing a paralyzed man out of a wheelchair, why does a Charlotte County dispatcher only get a slap on the wrist for negligence and incompetence that cost a young woman her life? And what about the dispatcher's supervisors? Did the Sheriff handle this properly? I do not think that he lied, but I think that he shirked his responsibilities and did not act properly. I can understand why he does not plan to run for reelection. Florida is at least 50 years behind the times of Northern states when it comes to Law Enforcement. I hope that this state can catch up someday. You could learn so much from the experience of other departments that do things right. You do not handcuff five year old girls, or tazer 65 year old women who do not respond quickly enough for you. You don't shoot someone when you go to serve process, and they do not want to give you access to their home. Service of process is a civil function, and peaceful entry is required. You think that you are so wonderful, but you do not even have a clue. The ONLY good thing about this state is the warm weather.

02-18-2008, 01:20 AM
"We can defend ourselves, but we don't want to hurt the investigation, we don't feel we did anything wrong." (Charlotte Sun, John Hackworth)

Yes, I would agree that he does speak for the Sheriff, but that statement was made before the investigation was done. The statement "We dont feel we did anything wrong" was premature. Obviously there were mistakes made and that has been acknowledged, however it has also gone severely under-punished IMO.

How is he going to defend the Sheriff and the department regarding the Kowalski 911 call, when the IA report indicates there was NO response to her call and the details of that call were never forwarded to anyone, not Charlotte deputies who were within minutes of 41 and Toledo Blade at the moment the call was made, not North Port Police (they learned of the 911 call from Ms. Kowalski herself days after the call was made, because as she feared, no one in the 911/dispatch center at CCSO did anything about her call), not Sarasota SO, not FHP, not anybody.

Again...That statement saying no mistakes were made by CCSO was said before the investigation was complete. Since then the Sheriff has conceded that mistakes were made, even though only a slap on the wrist was given. I think we need to be less concerned about this so called lie/cover up (because there isn’t any in my opinion) and be more concerned with the non-punishment of those who screwed up.

Why is the Sheriff office making these comments on Friday, Jan. 25, when they knew on Friday, Jan. 18 (according to the IA report), a week earlier that the Kowalski 911 call was mishandled, excuse me, was NOT handled at all.

The IA investigation was still ongoing at the time the statement was made. I would agree the IA investigator might have known mistakes were made but the report was not complete yet. I doubt the PIO or the Sheriff for that matter, knew about the mistakes one day after the crime and the first day into the investigation. The PIO shouldn’t have said there weren’t any mistakes because he didn’t actually know if there were or weren’t until the investigation was complete. The PIO made a mistake but didn’t lie. Keep in mind the comments you speak about were made one week after King was arrested. And the call wasn’t known about until after NPPD interviewed the caller “days later” as you put it. I am speculating here but I believe what I’m saying is most likely true because it would make absolutely NO SENSE AT ALL to say that there were no mistakes and a week later, once the investigation was complete, say 'yes there were mistakes'. The admin would either lie from the get go and stick with it OR keep saying "we dont know what happened" and then once the investigation was completed announce what errors were made (Which was what the admin was trying to do. I just think the PIO was wrong in making his “did nothing wrong” statement). I think the PIO was simply ill informed as to the status of the IA investigation because again, it would make no sense to have a "cover up" and then a week later admit there were mistakes.

Ms. Kowalski saw a person in distress in a Camaro at U.S. 41 and Toledo Blade at 6:30 p.m. on Jan. 17, 2008.

Sheriff's office CAD records show CCSO knew Denise Lee was found missing from her home at 3:30 p.m. on that same date and a Camaro may have been involved. Her home was no more than 7 miles from the intersection. How doesn't this bare resemblance? And if you don't think it does, why not send her information on to the investigating agency, the North Port Police Department. We know the IA found one dispatcher guilty of not doing just that. But hold on, if as the Sheriff said the information bore little resemblance, who responded to the call of the 5 to 10 year old child in distress? We now know NO ONE. Who met with Ms. Kowalski (as she requested) and took her statement that night? NO ONE.

I agree with you 100% that it DOES bare resemblance and should have raised a flag, however I believe the dispatcher did not connect the dots. We are Monday morning quarter back-ing, but I too agree that it should have been obvious enough for the dispatcher to have linked the call to the NP investigation. I believe that the dispatcher, if she had connected the dots, certainly would have alerted NPPD and CCSO deputies, accordingly. I also assume the dispatcher probably thought the caller was just seeing a kid in the back of a car acting up, which is obviously a huge mistake. She shouldn’t have (if she did) assumed anything in that situation. I am not excusing the dispatcher’s lack of action, but I am speculating why she did the things she did.

Sheriff Davenport, thanks for apologizing to the family, oh that's right you have not, the Chief Deputy (the one running for Sheriff in Nov.) did. I fully expect Sheriff Davenport will play bad cop and the Chief Deputy will someday (prior to the election) tell us how he fixed the 911 center. So that the same administration that failed Ms. Kowalski, that failed Denise Lee and left her 6 month old and 2 year old without a mother, can continue to protect and serve our community. Boy, do I feel safe.

I think its pretty low for you to turn this into politics. Clearly you would be bashing Cameron weather he did or did not apologize. Who are you to say that it was not from his heart? I completely agree with you that Davenport should have also apologized but how can you possibly criticize one for not saying it and then criticize the other FOR saying it?? Obviously this doesn’t look good during an election year but you’re the only one I have heard turn this into something political. Its disgusting.

My recommendation to the citizens of Charlotte County is if you have an emergency for which you would call 911, DRIVE 3 MILES NORTH OF U.S. 41 AND TOLEDO BLADE BEFORE YOU MAKE YOUR 911 CALL. AT LEAST SOMEONE MIGHT RESPOND.

Great advice. You are a fool.

06-11-2008, 05:14 PM
I think the best course of action would be have someone with a backbone like Secretary of Defense Gates in position to do whats right there. He held both Senior most Ranking Air Force Leaders feet to the fire and removed them from position after several mishaps that DIDN'T include the loss of life.

06-12-2008, 07:15 AM
Get Worch back in here!

06-13-2008, 12:23 AM
Get Worch back in here!

You are smoking crack!! Yea, I want $13,000 a year, a hell of a lot of paperwork and he can not motivate a a teenager at a whore house!!

06-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Get a grip! Look at all the posted entries and not one of you **** Licks have blamed the one person who has caused this whole cluster.

Mike King he is at fault, he needs to fry!!!!

The dispatcher, call taker, sheriff, deputy's and the public have never been at fault, they could have assisted better, but the dip shit in jail is the only one at fault. I'm so sick of you people not being smart enough to figure that out. Should Have, Could Have, Would Have!!! If only we all could have been there at the right place, at the right time, that doesn't happen often.

IT'S KING'S FAULT!!!!!!!!

06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Would you say the same thing if it was your daughter or family member? Ask the Goff / Lee Family that question.

06-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Would you say the same thing if it was your daughter or family member? Ask the Goff / Lee Family that question.

06-14-2008, 01:04 AM
Get a grip! Look at all the posted entries and not one of you . Licks have blamed the one person who has caused this whole cluster.

Mike King he is at fault, he needs to fry!!!!

The dispatcher, call taker, sheriff, deputy's and the public have never been at fault, they could have assisted better, but the dip shizzat in jail is the only one at fault. I'm so sick of you people not being smart enough to figure that out. Should Have, Could Have, Would Have!!! If only we all could have been there at the right place, at the right time, that doesn't happen often.

IT'S KING'S FAULT

Yes King did it, but the problem is we had people in position to possibly give this story a better ending if the information had been deseminated properly. And that is not easily forgotten. By the family, or anyone out there that night. I dont know if those dispatchers knew about the Green Camero BOLO from North Port when Janes K's call came in, if they did, its not forgivable. If they didnt, it is understandable how this could of happened. The problems with Central have not been solved. They are still giving out incorrect information, losing track of who is where, and basically doing a poor job. Is that the5r fault? Or is it a very poor setup they have been given to work with? I, and anyone who has been in this profession for any length of time would agree that Police Dispatchers should NOT be answering 911 calls. You can only lay so much on one person to keep track of!! And because of this, I believe the mistakes will continue, until its corrected. You can wish this will go away all you want, but it wont until its fixed, and then maybe something good can come from this horrendous tragedy.

06-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Central cuased the death and they know it. They are trying to justify it in their minds just like Davenpork tried doing while Cameron stood at his side like a follower.