PDA

View Full Version : Be Informed

02-14-2008, 04:01 AM
As we get ready for the union vote, we need to keep a few things in mind...
First, the department claims that PBA is "forcing" this "unwanted" vote on us, this only after they sent sergeants to our homes to sign a letter rescinding our blue cards that were sent in. Understandably, some officers felt bullied into signing this letter, but still had interest in a union vote. It is also important to note here that the department claims that they “have learned” that we notified PBA, in writing, about not wanting a vote. In fact, we all know that they were the driving force behind these “desires” of ours.
Second, the department claims that they wanted an "on-site balloting process” so that we would have a “quick, fair, and discreet voting process”. Hmmmm…This sounds more like they wanted to keep tabs on who is voting. The department also claims that by the union not allowing this, they are putting “their interests above you and your interests”. It is apparent that with an upper management push to try and force us to have a “desire to withdraw from the election process”, it is them who are putting their interests above ours.
Finally, I will agree that you should “make sure you get all the information you need before you vote”. This information needs to include, not only information about the union, but also information about the department and their crusade to bad mouth you on the internet, bully you into assent, and terminate officers they suspected of leading the union.
The union supporters have tried to lay our information for you about how the union can help, while the anti-union upper management has only made negative and crude comments about union supporters. This is an important election for us, and in the campaign of this election, debated mostly online, you can look back and see the educated supporters of the union, present facts. There has been a mature and rational initiative to lay out these facts. This is not a popularity contest, this is your future in your career, and so before you make a decision based on what you can “get” in the short term from upper management, you need to think of your long term career. You should not have to leave your position in the hands of one person and their mood.
Be educated, all around, and then make an informed decision.

02-14-2008, 04:09 AM
What's next? First, I hear that they sent sergeants to residences, off duty jobs, briefings, and have pulled people off the street to tell them why they should not vote for the union. Now that the vote is coming, they are trying to have us bring our anonymous votes to the station to mail them together. Give me a break; we know what that is really about. We are grownups and can use the postal service ourselves. I ask you, men and women of PCPD, when will enough be enough? Do you not want a say in how things are done at this agency? I know that a union can not fix all things, but at least it will give us a voice. A real voice, not just an EAD voice, which is easily silenced. If we come together, we can make this union work, and be great.

02-14-2008, 12:57 PM
Yup Yup, the vote is coming! Buckle your seat belt PCPD, stay strong and rock the vote 8) . I am a strong Union supporter and HAPPY to say that I have done my research. I am a yes vote. People, if you have questions watch the video that was made. The video explains everything, trust me I was there for the footage. Once again, VOTE YES!

02-14-2008, 01:03 PM
Aren't you sick and tired of being sick and tired. Just look at all the tactics used to try and get some of you not to vote, maningless letters, people getting coherced, bullied, ect..... Also look in the past when the same movement tried to take place and the tactics involved. PCPD this is about our future especially for the young officers. Stay UNITED and vote yes.

02-14-2008, 09:49 PM
yeah, I'm still waiting for all the things promised the last time we tried to get the union. The admin was gung ho about how they could get us everything and that we didn't need a union. We would still have several officers and sergeants if the union was voted in then.

02-14-2008, 10:41 PM
I couldn't agree with all of you more. Be careful I'm w/ u! EAD? We all know what you meant, but I wouldn't want you to be told to go to Tampa because you can't spell. LOL
Let me start off by saying this was never meant to be an us V. them situation, but it has definitely turned into one. I encourage every one to read all of the past posts and see what those for and against the union have contributed to this message board. We for the union have always tried, for the most part, to not put anyone down and run a clean campaign; can you all say the same? To all of the new officers, I apologize to you for starting on with the department at such a time when morale is so low. I am sure you have heard several horrible things about the union and what it will do when it comes in. I encourage you to also talk with people that are for the union and do honest research about it. Also, the vote is anonymous, so you don't have to have fear if you choose to vote yes. Know that we in patrol are still strong and united.
To all of those officers who are nearing their final years here, we need your help. I know you are close to the end of your career and might want things to go on just as they have. You have seen the push for a union stopped before for multiple reasons, but know this; we are together and ready to stay that way. We are willing to put in the work to make this union successful for all. We want to make this agency better and need your help to get there.
I have heard several rumors about how all the detectives are now against the union, and I can only hope that this is not true. That meeting we had at Tequilas was such a wonderful thing because it was not "patrol"/"detective"; it was a group of police officers looking to make the agency better. For us and for those after us, we need to keep that going through. I, along with many others, have been doing a lot of homework on the union and what it will take to make it work here. We are also ready to keep it going, but we first need your help to get it in and then your help to keep it going.
Don't let promises and recent changes fool you, if the union doesn't come in, things will be back to the normal "hurry up and wait" mode in no time.
Vote YES for the union!!!

02-15-2008, 01:44 AM
I will try to be nice with this post because I'm tired of the divide this union situation is creating. I'm fed up with a few of the officers, who have been serving since yesterday, who think they know what's best for me and this agency. They claim to have done their research but can't say one thing the union can do for THIS agency. The union can try to put things in the contract but if the city does not agree it's not in the contract plain and simple. The morale is low because you few guys are trying to undermind the administration and going around creating a divisive atmosphere. Just one thing, please mr jk "rock the vote" when this union is convincingly defeated go away. this is a good agency with some problems, who doesn't have them, but we can fix them together without an outside entity. If you put half the energy into positive things around here as you have into trying to get the union this would be a great place

02-15-2008, 03:21 AM
I am going to be nice, just because I am a civilized person.
I have seen many posts and a video about what the union can do for THIS agency. I am not going to waste my time reiterating all of these things, since I know you can read.
And again with the bashing of employees? I don't believe that we are trying to create a divisive atmosphere and I wouldn't be quick to say that we are the ones undermining anybody. There has been a lot of undermining by administration in trying to NOT get the union. We are just trying to educate people about the union and the situations that we have experienced with administration trying to squash this process.
In response to your comment about jk "rock the vote" putting half of his energy into positive things, I just want to laugh!! I believe that he was Officer of the Year, and his stats as a first year officer were off the charts. So I believe he has had a very positive impact on this department and more importantly, this city. I would say the Delta boys know him really well. If you want to talk about energy and it being wasted, the administration is the one using the cities time and energy to negate this vote. At least we do not discuss the union on the cities time, we respect that.
Nobody is saying that this is not a good agency; we would just like to see some positive changes in the way of a step program and job security. I don’t think that is too much to ask, and if the administration would like to support their employees, they should not be afraid of it.
If you would like the chance for positive changes to an already good agency, then vote yes.
If you want to continue with the way things are, then vote no.
Either way we are supposed to be a family, so why don’t we act like it, for the good of our CITY. After all, that is what our job is all about, we are public servants.

02-15-2008, 03:23 AM
I have been here longer than most. With that said, the union hasn't caused the problems this agency suffers from. The Union has been brought up approx 4-5 times in 15 years. Each time, it didn't even go to vote due to a number of things; key personnel promoting the union suddenly offered a new position, terminations, minor concessions (like the ballcap?), etc.
The morale has remained low for many years. It comes from unequal treatment (good or bad) resulting in promotions, terminations, punishment, positions, etc.
Some officers seem to be afraid of a union, look around you, things have not improved around here. Yes, we do have nice toys. That doesn't help us feed our families or protect our jobs though. The only ones who truly benefit from not having a union is the Chief, the City, and the officers who have already entered the drop or are about to. This isn't to say all of those officers are against the union, they are just more likely too since the union would initially have to bargain back many of the things they already have such as take home cars.
Chief stands to lose the most if a union comes in, it appears to outsiders like he doesn't have full control of his dept. He can't go to city hall for budget negotiations and agree to a low ball salary.

(Many officers may not know this, when the city negotiates a salary for the officers such as a 3 % raise and the insurance goes up 5%, Chief's salary is unaffected. The city negotiates his salary and benefits separately-he does not share your pain when it comes to salary and benefits).

I will try to be nice with this post because I'm tired of the divide this union situation is creating. I'm fed up with a few of the officers, who have been serving since yesterday, who think they know what's best for me and this agency. They claim to have done their research but can't say one thing the union can do for THIS agency. The union can try to put things in the contract but if the city does not agree it's not in the contract plain and simple. The morale is low because you few guys are trying to undermind the administration and going around creating a divisive atmosphere. Just one thing, please mr jk "rock the vote" when this union is convincingly defeated go away. this is a good agency with some problems, who doesn't have them, but we can fix them together without an outside entity. If you put half the energy into positive things around here as you have into trying to get the union this would be a great place

02-17-2008, 08:53 AM
YOU TWO ARE STUPID

02-17-2008, 11:44 PM
Real mature. I am guessing you are not for the union. Just shows the mentality of those against the union.[/quote]

02-19-2008, 04:18 AM
Real mature. I am guessing you are not for the union. Just shows the mentality of those against the union.[/quote]

Yeah....judging someone elses maturity level is the last thing YOU need to be doing....grouping all anti-union officers together w/out knowing their beliefs or reasons for it....the only thing that is obvious is you are one of the lemming rookies running towards the cliff just cause everyone around you is....why don't you lemmings spend a little more time mastering your new jobs so your community can feel like they can sleep at night rather than complaining about things you could not possibly know for fact BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BUT A COUPLE OF HOURS!

02-19-2008, 08:27 PM
Real mature. I am guessing you are not for the union. Just shows the mentality of those against the union.

Yeah....judging someone elses maturity level is the last thing YOU need to be doing....grouping all anti-union officers together w/out knowing their beliefs or reasons for it....the only thing that is obvious is you are one of the lemming rookies running towards the cliff just cause everyone around you is....why don't you lemmings spend a little more time mastering your new jobs so your community can feel like they can sleep at night rather than complaining about things you could not possibly know for fact BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BUT A COUPLE OF HOURS![/quote]

Tisk Tisk, SickNtired, I might be a rookie, but I am for damb sure not know lemming rookie, even if I am anti Union or pro Union. Looks like sickNtired is someone who has forgotten about where they came from

Lets look up the word lemming.....any of various small, mouselike rodents (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lemming)

To all rookies, I would really take offense to that. Look at the quote that was made " the only thing that is obvious is you are one of the lemming rookies." Looks like sickNtired is a know it all and has it all figured out. Figured out these "NUTS".... :evil:

02-19-2008, 08:39 PM
Real mature. I am guessing you are not for the union. Just shows the mentality of those against the union.

Yeah....judging someone elses maturity level is the last thing YOU need to be doing....grouping all anti-union officers together w/out knowing their beliefs or reasons for it....the only thing that is obvious is you are one of the lemming rookies running towards the cliff just cause everyone around you is....why don't you lemmings spend a little more time mastering your new jobs so your community can feel like they can sleep at night rather than complaining about things you could not possibly know for fact BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BUT A COUPLE OF HOURS![/quote:2qlj6knu]

Tisk Tisk, SickNtired, I might be a rookie, but I am for damb sure not know lemming rookie, even if I am anti Union or pro Union. Looks like sickNtired is someone who has forgotten about where they came from

Lets look up the word lemming.....any of various small, mouselike rodents (http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/lemming)

To all rookies, I would really take offense to that. Look at the quote that was made " the only thing that is obvious is you are one of the lemming rookies." Looks like sickNtired is a know it all and has it all figured out. Figured out these "NUTS".... :evil:

Hey SickNtired, why don't you come teach us lemmings how to work on the street. Like you said...... "why don't you lemmings spend a little more time mastering your new jobs so your community can feel like they can sleep at night rather than complaining about things you could not possibly know for fact BECAUSE YOU HAVEN'T BEEN HERE BUT A COUPLE OF HOURS!" Yep Yep SickNtired, we have been here but a couple hours, so come teach us. By the way, why don't you have 250 join ya, the two of you would bring great leadership to the table..... :evil: :snicker: