PDA

View Full Version : Capitol Police

02-13-2008, 02:44 AM
I was in Tallahassee for training a couple weeks back. I know that Capitol Police is our only division that is allowed to conduct traffic stops. The other evening after training, I was sitting behind a Captiol officer on Gaines at a red light. Another car blows past both of us and straight through the light and the officer just sat there. The light turns green and he pulls through the light and into the parking lot and I pull in and we chatted for a little bit. Turns out they are basically told "you can do traffic stops, but you damn well better not".

What's the rationale behind telling the guys over there, who have the legal authority to conduct traffic stops, and who policy allows to conduct traffic stops, not to conduct traffic stops for blatent safety violations that happen within a block of the capitol? I obviously won't mention names, but he told me that supervisors over there tell them that anyone who pulls a stop will get railroaded and written up, regardless of what the violation was.

Just curious if anyone has closer working relations with them and might have an idea whats going on over there.

02-13-2008, 06:32 PM
The FDLE policy is as clear as it can be (meaning it is hard to place restrictions without creating a grey area) in regards to traffic stops. I can assure you that any officer who can articulate their reason for conducting a traffic stop and it fits the parameters of the policy they will not be “railroaded.” I can assure you with 100% confidence that the administration of FDLE/Capitol Police (CP) has no intention of being heavy handed in regards to traffic stops.

If you have further questions about the traffic policy or anything else at CP I would be more than happy to discuss them with anyone.

02-13-2008, 07:42 PM
Does FHP run CAPITAL POLICE as well. With a crappy policy like that they must!!

02-14-2008, 05:22 AM
The policy is clear, I've read and accepted it like everyone else, which is why I was surprised. Basically what the officer I spoke with (no names being mentioned) told me what this supverisor told him, in no uncertain terms, that he had better not try to pull anyone over. Period. One of the Lieutenants apparantly told them at a meeting that the policy was intentionally made to make it nearly impossible to perform any traffic-related functions, and he said that they would be looking "very closely" at each and every traffic stop made. Basically, the officers are being given a policy, but bullied into just ignoring it and staying away from traffic all-together. That was the impression I got anyway.

I guess I can't say I am an expert at capitol operations, and I am sure they have their own priorities, but I personally can't see any reason why a uniformed officer, in a marked vehicle, with statewide jurisdiction, within a block of his area of responsibility, should have to be scared of getting in trouble for pulling over a vehicle for a blatant, unsafe (key word), traffic violation. Again, it was evening time, and the Capitol wasn't even open. The only legitamate reason I can think of is that budgetary concerns make it difficult to pay overtime to officers if they have to go to court.

02-14-2008, 03:49 PM
The FDLE policy is as clear as it can be (meaning it is hard to place restrictions without creating a grey area) in regards to traffic stops. I can assure you that any officer who can articulate their reason for conducting a traffic stop and it fits the parameters of the policy they will not be “railroaded.” I can assure you with 100% confidence that the administration of FDLE/Capitol Police (CP) has no intention of being heavy handed in regards to traffic stops.

If you have further questions about the traffic policy or anything else at CP I would be more than happy to discuss them with anyone.

Hey Dennis, from what my sources tell me you are doing a great job trying to change some things up on the hill, but it's the middle management that is causing the problem.

You are saying "follow policy and you will be ok" and they are saying "we don't want you creating any extra work for us" behind your back.

This isn't just traffic. One of my friends currently works for CP and he said he would be gone in a heartbeat if not for the contract he signed.

He said he got his balls in a vice not too long ago for helping a disabled motorist move out of the roadway then standing by for 5 minutes for her husband to arrive. His sergeant told him he should have just called the city and left her to wait there.

He had nothing but good things to say about you, but the problem is your philosophy is not filtering down to the line supervisors, who ultimately run the show day-to-day.

02-14-2008, 07:08 PM
Thanks

02-16-2008, 11:15 AM
That sounds like AG. We were told our traffic policies were just for accreditation purposes. If you push the issue they can't and won't put anything in writing telling you do disregard the policy but you will reap the reward of scorn from the bosses and set yourself up for daily misery and be prepared to be a terminal slick sleeve for a career of it.

02-16-2008, 10:56 PM
That is lame. You have people blowing red lights, speeding and laughing at you guys because they know you are going to just sit there.

02-16-2008, 11:25 PM
The problem with the traffic policy at CP is not top level management
or front line supervisors, it is at the MID LEVEL where the bulk of the
problem resides.

02-17-2008, 09:13 PM
That depends on what front-line supervisors. Some are cool with it as long as you are within policy, others are scared of the mid-level management you mentioned.

I've heard of CP officers in years past blatantly overstepping their mission by going up and running radar on the interstate. The department had a knee-jerk reaction to that by taking away everyone's radar, rather than just dealing with the individual or individuals who took those actions. Working here in Tallahassee, especially during session, I spend a good bit of time at the Capitol and have spoken with several of their guys. Most of them are good guys and would do just fine with traffic enforcement (not abusing it) if they were allowed to, but from what I hear they do have a few bad apples, like any other agency, who would be back on the interstate running radar in a heartbeat if they could. Management who blanketly punishes everyone for a few peoples' stupidity need to learn a few things about good management.

Personally, I think most would respond positively if they started seeing a CP guy on a motorcycle running radar the parkway approaching Monroe. It is an area well within the scope of CP (and listed in state statutes as part of their responsbility), and unsafe drivers on those main roads around the capitol directly impact pedestrian safety and the safety of other motorists around capitol grounds.

But that will never happen, at least as long as CP is part of FDLE. We can only hope that the legislature will merge some agencies and maybe stick CP in with FHP, DOT, and AgLaw. Most other states patrol their capitols with Troopers anyway.

03-13-2008, 01:01 AM
Great topic )))))))))))))
WBR,
Alex