PDA

View Full Version : Leading by example

02-12-2008, 03:24 AM
Over the past year or so, there has been a lot of bickering between new guys and veterans, officers and supervisors, and between various units. We have fallen on tough times, and it may not get any easier in the near future. We are all guilty of *****ing about this and *****ing about that. Tonight, I had the opportunity to sit down and talk with one of our fellow officers, Bill Meloy, who is about to return to that hell hole that we only see on TV, called Iraq. Here is a guy who is leaving his family, again, to go over to a place that none of us would even consider visiting. We complain about having to work this shift or that shift, having too many cases, no overtime, and being in what seems to be a hopeless situation. Then there's Bill, who goes to work on the midnight shift with 6,000 Iraqi detainees, all of which would probably like to kill him in the name of Jihad! The funny thing is, this guy doesn't have a bad word to say about anyone. I have never seen a man faced with such a grim year ahead of him, with such a positive attitude. Anyway, it kind of made me think that our problems are nothing compared to the burden of others. Perhaps we should turn our frustration on the "bad guys", and away from eachother. Whatever is meant to be will be. Good luck Bill and God Bless!

Detective T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

02-12-2008, 11:56 AM
Tim you are correct. We all could and should learn something from Bill. What ever is going to happen with the manpower situation and the situation of going green or staying blue is beyond our control. Lets try to stay positive and keep Bill, Kathleen and Rob in our thoughts and prayers. Be safe guys.
Dan

02-13-2008, 01:28 AM
As a former LWPD Officer I was disappointed to read about all the petty infighting going on in the department and even more disturbing on this stupid site. However, my faith has been restored in the old LWPD, thanks to Dan and Tim. These guys are right, sometimes we lose sight of what is really important and why we all signed up for this career in the first place. Due to the nature of inner-city police work and the need to count on one another, LWPD was usually able to work out these "Sand box" issues. Lets face it when you are on mids working with only 4 other people and it hits the fan, you need all hands on deck and you put aside your differences real quick. LWPD has always produced top quality street cops because in that environment either you catch on quick or you will not last very long. I, along with many of my current coworkers, who have prospered in our current agency are proud to call ourselves former LWPD and we credit many of our former coworkers and supervisors for showing us the right way to do this job with honor and respect for those we serve and serve with. P.S for the FNG's keep your mouth shut and your eyes and ears open for at least 5 years, that is about the time you will figure out how much you do not know!! Take care, be safe and demand the same from your peers. EC

02-14-2008, 12:15 AM
DELETE MOD 425

02-14-2008, 01:17 AM
You have ruined a good thread with your negativity.

Show some respect for those who protect your freedom.

And learn how to spell "concerned."

02-14-2008, 02:31 AM
I have to agree with the concerned poster, Tim you are a hell of a cop and you now have 2 great boss's now they don't play games like your old LT did, look what he did to your budy Eric or did you forget that already or doesn't it matter. He took a great Det like Eric out of the unit for no eason , but he let a officer stay well over a year and she doesn't to this day handle any major cases or does she take call outs, you don't think thats wrong.But again nobody wants to fight for a brother thats in the right as long as it doesn't effect them, boy thats not brotherhood. On a post from you several weeks ago you talked about brotherhood like they have in PA , what happened to that. Now we on the road have to work with the Lt., BOY HE NEEDS TO GO.All he does all day is walk around and suck in his gut and talks BS. He takes long lunch breaks and then yells at us for taking a few extra mintues.He comes in late and leaves early so how is that leading by example.We have enough of those type of suspervisors.Several years ago when the cheif went after somebody and there was a rumor running around that a certin Sgt FOP rep tried to get the FOP not to give these officers any protection. I confronted that Sgt and he admitted that he did this because the cheif and D/C didn't want these guys back , is that wrong? Like concerned I can't just sit back and let all the bad things go away. I come to work everyday and do my job and I'll be there for you and any other brother or sister that needs help but a change is due you know it too that is why most of us voted for the SO take over, to me and many others it was a vote of no confidence on the current chief and D/C.

To Meloy , I didn't try to ruin a good thred and I can't wait for you to get back so I can work for you because I know that you'll be fair. Keep your head low and say hi to the rest of our family over there, be safe and thanks for keeping us safe at home.

02-14-2008, 02:37 AM
DELETE PROFANITY MOD 425

02-14-2008, 02:52 AM
To the last poster you wouldn't say it to my face don't write it

02-14-2008, 03:16 AM
TO PATROL FOREVER

SIGN YOUR NAME AND I WILL SAY IT TO YOUR FACE ON FRIDAY.

02-14-2008, 03:31 AM
now boy's niether one of you will sign your name and you know it , that's the problem here you are all full of Sh-- , grow up.

The SO is the answer.

02-14-2008, 03:35 AM
I can't sign my name , when they come after me who is going to feed my kid's? But PM need's to shut his mouth and just sit in his office upsatirs.

mod 425
02-14-2008, 04:43 AM
DELETE MOD 425

IF YOU WERE REALLY "CONCERNED", YOU WOULDN'T HAVE TURNED THIS THREAD INTO ONE OF YOUR NEGATIVE TIRADES.

02-14-2008, 10:52 PM
To Patrol For Ever,

First of all, thanks for thinking I'm a good cop. A cops highest reward in my opinion isn't medals or letters of commendations, but the respect of his/her peers. And second, no I don't forget what happened to Eric. I don't forget anything. Eric and I are still buds and always will be. In fact he was at my house lastnight having a stogey. I went to bat for Eric because I disagreed with the decision to take him out of the unit, and I still do. However, my opinion didn't factor in. Regardless, I posted this thread about Meloy because I was just trying to convey to my brother/sister officers, that sometimes we forget what is important. We all think we have problems, and then there's guys like Meloy that have to make great sacrifices.

We have to remember that being a cop is a job. Although I think it is a calling and requires much more dedication than any other profession, it's a forty hour a week job. That's less than a quarter of a seven day week. The other one-hundred and twenty eight hours should be spent going to dinner with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, playing catch with your kid, reading a book, or maybe even going to church. Yes believe it or not, I go to church! But instead, we sit on the computer and tear eachother apart. PUBLICALLY!!! I'm not saying you gotta be pals with your boss, or the guy that mighta slid you under the bus, I'm just saying to let it go and to believe in karma, because karma is a motherf@#$er. Put in your eight hours, back up your partners, treat people as you would want to be treated, and the rest will take care of it self. Be safe and God Bless.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

Quote of the Day:

"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it doesn't taste good."

Joe Paterno

02-15-2008, 02:12 AM
To Patrol For Ever,

First of all, thanks for thinking I'm a good cop. A cops highest reward in my opinion isn't medals or letters of commendations, but the respect of his/her peers. And second, no I don't forget what happened to Eric. I don't forget anything. Eric and I are still buds and always will be. In fact he was at my house lastnight having a stogey. I went to bat for Eric because I disagreed with the decision to take him out of the unit, and I still do. However, my opinion didn't factor in. Regardless, I posted this thread about Meloy because I was just trying to convey to my brother/sister officers, that sometimes we forget what is important. We all think we have problems, and then there's guys like Meloy that have to make great sacrifices.

We have to remember that being a cop is a job. Although I think it is a calling and requires much more dedication than any other profession, it's a forty hour a week job. That's less than a quarter of a seven day week. The other one-hundred and twenty eight hours should be spent going to dinner with your wife/husband/girlfriend/boyfriend, playing catch with your kid, reading a book, or maybe even going to church. Yes believe it or not, I go to church! But instead, we sit on the computer and tear eachother apart. PUBLICALLY!!! I'm not saying you gotta be pals with your boss, or the guy that mighta slid you under the bus, I'm just saying to let it go and to believe in karma, because karma is a motherf@#$er. Put in your eight hours, back up your partners, treat people as you would want to be treated, and the rest will take care of it self. Be safe and God Bless.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

Quote of the Day:

"Success without honor is an unseasoned dish; it will satisfy your hunger, but it doesn't taste good."

Joe Paterno

Well siad Tim , I too also believe in karma---EDIT MOD 425, NO PERSONAL ATTACKS FROM ANONYMOUS POSTERS.

02-15-2008, 06:09 AM
karma comes along , a person that srcewed with some many suffered 2 heart attacks and we all can only hope the third is on the way soon.

02-15-2008, 07:43 AM
karma comes along , a person that srcewed with some many suffered 2 heart attacks and we all can only hope the third is on the way soon.

We can only hope!!!!!!!!!!

02-15-2008, 02:38 PM
Wishing someone to have a third heart attack is not what I meant by karma!! It is not only inappropriate, it is hateful, and hate is one thing we should not be carrying around. Hate will eat you up inside. As I tell my sons, if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all!! Let's all focus on locking bad guys up! Be safe and God Bless.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

Quote of the day...

"A house divided against itself cannot stand."

-Abraham Lincoln

02-15-2008, 10:22 PM
Thank you Timmy...You've convinced me there's still hope.

02-16-2008, 06:00 PM
There's always hope, we just need to keep a positive attitude. Hopefully, we won't lose any positions like the fire department is supposed to. To quote the Maryland president of the F.O.P. "We have a crime problem, not a fire problem". Anyway, let's work together instead of against eachother, and we'll get through this. We always do. Be safe and God Bless.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

Quote of the day;

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An opptimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

-Winston Churchill

02-16-2008, 06:54 PM
There's always hope, we just need to keep a positive attitude. Hopefully, we won't lose any positions like the fire department is supposed to. To quote the Maryland president of the F.O.P. "We have a crime problem, not a fire problem". Anyway, let's work together instead of against eachother, and we'll get through this. We always do. Be safe and God Bless.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

Quote of the day;

"A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity. An opptimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty."

-Winston Churchill
Hey re you up for a promotion or something?

02-16-2008, 10:36 PM
Not even on the list! Just trying to stay positive. Besides, I would lose money if I got promoted. Thanks for asking though.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. Because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."

-Frank Sinatra

02-17-2008, 02:59 AM
Not even on the list! Just trying to stay positive. Besides, I would lose money if I got promoted. Thanks for asking though.

Det. T.J. Barbusio, Sr.

"I feel sorry for people that don't drink. Because when they wake up in the morning, that's the best they're going to feel all day."

-Frank Sinatra
To bad Tim you could lead by example and you wouldn't let them control you.
My thought of the day " carry a big stick and use it on them before they try to stick it to you" .

And later we have a rum and coke.