PDA

View Full Version : FTO

02-10-2008, 08:55 PM
What is the field training program like? How many weeks is it and what do most people have problems with?

02-10-2008, 11:22 PM
We are working with a questionable memory here, so if I leave something out, I hope someone will fill in.
The program is based on the "San Jose" model. There have been modifications over the years and there is a major rework of the program underway. There are four phases that run three weeks each, for a total of 12 weeks. The idea is to have steady progression so at the evaluation phase, you are doing the work with no real input from the FTO. If you are coming in with prior law enforcement experience, I think it will be easier for you. The daily observation report has about 30 different categories for eval, but some will be "not observed." In a ideal situation, you would receive a rating in each category, each day. Since we are not a "first response" agency, there are not always opportunities to do everything on the DOR during the rating period. It is possible to "wash out" but it is not likely, as long as you do your part. Attitude and professional demeanor go a long way. If you have specific questions, I will try to help.
Good Luck.

02-10-2008, 11:27 PM
The biggest problem is that most trainees make it only to later become problems that are impossible to deal with. From an FTO or line supervisory position, Tallahassee does NOT want to hear about any problems. If it's gender or ethnic, forget about it. Their heads are in the sand. Is it possible to supervise the young people coming on board today? NO, they already know everything and the one year probabtionary status for new employees is a joke. So, welcome aboard, enjoy the ride.

02-12-2008, 11:56 PM
What is the field training program like? How many weeks is it and what do most people have problems with?

The FTO program varies depending on which office you go to. Miami trainees learn a lot more than say a Pensacola trainee, just based on diveristy and number of complaints.

02-13-2008, 12:58 AM

The FTO program varies depending on which office you go to. Miami trainees learn a lot more than say a Pensacola trainee, just based on diveristy and number of complaints.

I would add this caveat - Don't confuse quanity of training with quality of training.

02-19-2008, 03:28 PM
I have an interview scheduled. Any suggestions? I have about nine years experience with a large agency (SO). Mostly patrol with a short stint as detective. Is age an issue? I'm 45. Thanks in advance.

hopeful
02-19-2008, 03:41 PM
I have an interview scheduled. Any suggestions? I have about nine years experience with a large agency (SO). Mostly patrol with a short stint as detective. Is age an issue? I'm 45. Thanks in advance.

Bring with you a package for each interviewer with your complete resume.
Your age isn't a problem. We have several agents who have retired from other agencies, as well as some senoir agents over 45. Just present yourself well, dress nice, and show confidence while at the same time show your humility. Regardless of what you may have read on this wed site, this is a job job. We have problems just like everyoe else, but the good does out wieght the bad for most of us. As with any other job there are always those people who would not be happy even if they won the lottery. Good Luck!

02-19-2008, 05:52 PM

And why would you live a S.O. to take this job??? You'll get better pay there in the long run..

02-19-2008, 06:21 PM

And why would you live a S.O. to take this job??? You'll get better pay there in the long run..

It's not all about pay and it would be a substantial pay raise, and no, in the long run ABT pay will be better. I have had enough shift work. I have arrested my quota of DV suspects, DWLSR.s, and possessors of marijuana <20 grams. I enjoy investigations, especially if it's new or different. ABT's mission is necessary, and different (to me anyway). Sometimes a change will re-kindle the flame. Every agency has their disgruntled members...It's what we do. I try to work around it.

02-20-2008, 02:01 AM
Maybe you could go to Fort Myers and have Jennifer Nash train you. Rumor has it she is going to FTO school. From a secretary to a Special Agent to a FTO in two years, that has to be some kind of record. As long as she doesn't have to give law enforcement advice she should be o.k., we all know what happens when she tries to qualify.

02-20-2008, 02:30 AM
They are sending her to FTO school? Are you kidding? This place is a big joke - she got out of the academy like a year ago - does not even meet the requirements for LEI II - give me a break - this place is being run into the ground - how did PR ever approve that school for her? All I can say is wow! I hope the people she trains remember their shoelaces have more time on the job then her...

02-20-2008, 04:21 AM

It's not all about pay and it would be a substantial pay raise, and no, in the long run ABT pay will be better. I have had enough shift work. I have arrested my quota of DV suspects, DWLSR.s, and possessors of marijuana <20 grams. I enjoy investigations, especially if it's new or different. ABT's mission is necessary, and different (to me anyway). Sometimes a change will re-kindle the flame. Every agency has their disgruntled members...It's what we do. I try to work around it.

Word of caution. I thought the same thing when I came here. In fact, someone said to me "Do you know what it is that we actually do?" I told them investigations, blah, blah, etc. Enforce alc and tob laws. They laughed and I just shrugged it off.

I have been here long enough now and know what they meant. Sure, some people will lead you to believe that we do intense, high level, espionage type investigations. We do some investigations but nothing of that nature. In the past, may 10 plus years ago, we did do more traditional investigations.

In all honesty, we are a plain clothes patrol agency that writes underage drinking tickets and tickets for selling to underage. I love ABT, but don't be led to believe we are an investigative agency. We are a regulatory agency with arrest powers. Nothing more, nothing less.

02-20-2008, 08:11 PM

No, in the long run...NO State Agency will pay more than a local agency will, not any longer anyway. In case you haven't kept up with the news, the State doesn't have money and they sure aren't going to give any raises at all. Local agencies are much better paid than state agencies in the long run. FDLE might start out at the highest, but most major S.O.'s and P.D.'s are out running FDLE by miles....

02-20-2008, 08:13 PM

Dude, here are our cases we work...underage drinking (you can do this on patrol), selling to underage (local agencies have gotten in on this one since they're so easy to do) and admin cases that spin off from the first two. And who says it's not about the money?????? It's all about the money...everyone wants to get paid!!

02-20-2008, 10:44 PM
Maybe you could go to Fort Myers and have Jennifer Nash train you. Rumor has it she is going to FTO school. From a secretary to a Special Agent to a FTO in two years, that has to be some kind of record. As long as she doesn't have to give law enforcement advice she should be o.k., we all know what happens when she tries to qualify.

I bet her reports are typed nicely though... :roll:

FlaHog
02-21-2008, 02:24 AM

No, in the long run...NO State Agency will pay more than a local agency will, not any longer anyway. In case you haven't kept up with the news, the State doesn't have money and they sure aren't going to give any raises at all. Local agencies are much better paid than state agencies in the long run. FDLE might start out at the highest, but most major S.O.'s and P.D.'s are out running FDLE by miles....

OK, Thanks for the interview tips. :roll:

02-21-2008, 03:13 AM

I bet her reports are typed nicely though... :roll:

She's the man!

Mod 463
02-27-2008, 12:35 AM
Talking about someone's qualifications or lack of is one thing, making fun of them is another. The post that made fun of anyone individual have been removed, anything talking about their qualifications have remained. Let's play nicely now...

03-06-2008, 10:49 PM
Dude, here are our cases we work...underage drinking (you can do this on patrol), selling to underage (local agencies have gotten in on this one since they're so easy to do) and admin cases that spin off from the first two. And who says it's not about the money?????? It's all about the money...everyone wants to get paid!![/quote]

Dude? What juvenile detention facility do you post from Bro?

03-17-2008, 12:31 AM
Somebody tell me about the psychological test. I hear your doc is...different.

03-17-2008, 01:43 AM
Somebody tell me about the psychological test. I hear your doc is...different.

The guy is a flippin' wack-job based out of Tampa. Watch him after you shake his hand...he's like Adrian Monk! Other than that, the psych's like any other.