PDA

View Full Version : Step program.... thoughts?

02-07-2008, 01:09 PM
Okay people, I'm back. I have been throwing around an idea about a "Step Program". Senior deputy, master deputy, ect. It would be a great way for the "career deputy" to have some form of promotion other than the standard. It would also allow a senior deputy or master deputy to get paid for their years of service and education ABOVE those that choose not to go to class and educate themselves in our field.

Some people do not want to be "in charge" but I feel they should still be given some compensation and acknowledgement of the job they do. Now the question is this how do we base that?

I say you have to have a certain amount of years in service with THIS department, certain schools, and have a small test. Much like this...

Senior Deputy - 7 years of service, completed either FTO or Line Supervisor. Then take a small proficiency test. (You would be awarded 2,000.00 more a year than the regular deputy with a 1.5% above the yearly raise as well as a single stripe.

Master Deputy - 10 years of service must have completed FTO, Line Supervision and at least one other 40 hour class. (You would be awarded 3,500 more a year that a regular deputy with a 2% above the yearly raise as well a single stripe with a star underneath.

Thoughts?

02-07-2008, 02:39 PM
I think that is a phenominal idea! Really good one!

02-07-2008, 08:41 PM
I thinks a valid idea however I would do the five year and ten year plan.

02-09-2008, 01:36 AM
i totally agree. i think some of the reason we get so pissed is that after working here six or seven years we find out that a new hire gets paid the same as us. maybe .50 cents less but still too close for comfort. then when we get raises they get the same amount, without putting in the time. i truely think this has a lot to do with moral.

02-11-2008, 04:00 AM
I feel that we do need a step program along with numerous other plans that will allow for fair advancement in both pay and rank. There are numerous collective bargaining agreements available on the web for anyone interested to look at. Just type in collective bargaining agreements into any search engine and it will pull up agreements from both the PBA and FOP. They are very interesting and everyone should read them to kind of get an idea on where we may be heading.

02-12-2008, 09:39 PM
i got an app in with sarasota county sheriff cya all. :D

02-21-2008, 09:17 AM
Okay people, I'm back. I have been throwing around an idea about a "Step Program". Senior deputy, master deputy, ect. It would be a great way for the "career deputy" to have some form of promotion other than the standard. It would also allow a senior deputy or master deputy to get paid for their years of service and education ABOVE those that choose not to go to class and educate themselves in our field.

Some people do not want to be "in charge" but I feel they should still be given some compensation and acknowledgement of the job they do. Now the question is this how do we base that?

I say you have to have a certain amount of years in service with THIS department, certain schools, and have a small test. Much like this...

Senior Deputy - 7 years of service, completed either FTO or Line Supervisor. Then take a small proficiency test. (You would be awarded 2,000.00 more a year than the regular deputy with a 1.5% above the yearly raise as well as a single stripe.

Master Deputy - 10 years of service must have completed FTO, Line Supervision and at least one other 40 hour class. (You would be awarded 3,500 more a year that a regular deputy with a 2% above the yearly raise as well a single stripe with a star underneath.

Thoughts?

They already have a step program in place, the Brass step all over the little man. You take it and be glad to be employed.

02-27-2008, 10:32 PM

Thoughts?

Thoughts? How about questions? You think a deputy with 7 years expierence with THIS department (no matter what he or she has with other departments) should only make $2,000.00 more a year than a deputy straight out of the academy? That averages out to be about a difference of only 0.96 cents an hour for at least 7 years of LEO expierence. Seems a little low to me.

What do you think of paying deputies for thier prior expierence up to an x amount of years? Example would be if they worked for PBSO for 10 years then they would start off in the step program that would reflect a portion of those years worked, maybe at the five year mark here. Any suggestions?

02-28-2008, 04:57 AM
I would say yes, that is a great idea. I based my suggestion soley on the fact that a corporal makes about 5 to 6 more than a deputy, a sgt. about 9, Lt. 11 to 15.

I do like your suggestion.. thats what this is about, throwing something more into the hat! Nice form !!

02-29-2008, 12:06 AM
only one problem...its MUCH cheaper to hire an officer, work him hard for 3 or 4 years, then write him a letter of recomendation for their higher paying job at another department and hire a brand new rookie for a lower salary.
repeat as needed.

03-01-2008, 12:16 AM
Interesting article in today's paper. I do have a question about one portion of the article. How did they come up with the figure of $30,000 as the cost for the FOP for one year? It would take 100 LEOs to pay $25.00 a month to equal $30,000. I don't think we have a hundred people eligible. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, just can't figure that one out. I guess I should have studied more in math.

03-01-2008, 03:46 PM
Interesting article in today's paper. I do have a question about one portion of the article. How did they come up with the figure of $30,000 as the cost for the FOP for one year? It would take 100 LEOs to pay $25.00 a month to equal $30,000. I don't think we have a hundred people eligible. I don't know, maybe I'm wrong, just can't figure that one out. I guess I should have studied more in math.

Which paper and what was the date please... Missed it.

03-05-2008, 03:13 AM
:twisted: how much is starting pay for a deputy? you get a car to drive home and take to wal-mart or to u-save. you should not have a car to take home and drive them the way you do, you want a step program get a new job step up to working field and get out of you car you need to stop whinnig and just do what you are paid to do. :P OPPS I'm sorry I lost it for a minute I was sounding like King Paul and the Spankster...

opdbs
03-12-2008, 01:31 AM
It's been okay at the city. The problem is that when you top out like me after 28 years... Now what happens...?

03-16-2008, 02:17 PM
well heres a thought for you......6.5% pay raise 2 yrs ago.
which without all the opposition.. probably (not saying it would have)
would have become a 3 yr plan which is usually the case when a bargaining agreement is reached.
6.5 plus, 6.5 plus, 6.5 percent equals 19.5% pay increase over 3 yrs.

lets break this down.

say you make 40K
first year pay goes to......42,600
second year pay goes to.....45,369
third year pay goes to.....48,317......wow
now lets break this down

say you make 40k
first year pay goes to.....42,600
second year paywent to.....44,602
third year pay ????.....im guessing.....44,602.
3,715 dollar difference

breaks down into roughly 310.00 dollars per month. a nice car payment
or with the cost of fuel rising everyday a tank of gas.
but it wont happen.
all because.
it would not have hurt anyone.
EVERY officer would have benefitted
EVERY officer.

03-16-2008, 02:23 PM
lets vote it out!!!!!
yeah!!!!!! i dont need the money.