PDA

View Full Version : Will I get hired with this score?

02-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Well, I had my oral board a couple of weeks ago and I just got a letter saying that my score was a 77 and that I'm ranked 13th. I'm certified w/experience, scored a 98 on the CJBAT and thought I did well at the oral board, I guess not in this one. Do I have a shot with this ranking?

02-02-2008, 10:44 PM
Let’s see if I can answer and explain how FLPD does their hiring and what the rank structure means for you.

1) Your rank in the eligibility list shows where you are placed based on your final score. Those that
scored the highest are placed on the top rank (#1) Next, those that scored the second highest get
second rank (#2) and so on. You are placed there with other eligible candidates, in other words, you
might be rank #1 and five other candidates might be there with you.

2) The City of Fort Lauderdale and HR work on what it is known as the “Rule of Five” in the certification
and appointment process. That means that those that are among the top five ranks may be hired or appointed.

If you are anywhere below the 10th rank your chances of being hired are low. I came in certified and scored a 92 on the board. They placed me on the second rank and 4 months later, I was hired.

02-03-2008, 05:42 PM
Try publix !

02-03-2008, 05:46 PM
Not sure if they do it differently for everyone but after my oral board I was offered a conditional offer of employment and following that all the psych testing/polygraph etc. I've never even heard of ranking?

02-06-2008, 06:57 AM
Do I have a shot with this ranking?

It is not looking good for you buddy but we do have staffing issues, so you might still be in the race. I can tell you that several years back FLPD was picky about who they selected for its police force. Times have changed and I suppose that bodies are needed and standards are lowered to meet the demand.

02-23-2008, 04:18 AM
If your a protected class member you'll be hired. If your a W/M maybe, but don't count on it. Hope this helps

02-25-2008, 09:34 PM
OH YOU HAVE 10 WEED ARRESTS AND SUSPENDED DL, YOUR HIRED WE ARE LOSING 20 FOR EVERY ONE WE GAIN AND 1 OUT OF 5 DOESN'T MAKE IT 6 MO ON THE ROAD AND 3 OF THOSE FIVE SHOULDN'T MAKE IT BUT ARE PUSHED THROUGH

02-29-2008, 08:49 PM
Certified w/ experience here, and I, too, thought I did well on the oral board. Scored a 71 and am ranked 18th. Very disappointing.

02-29-2008, 10:09 PM
Certified w/ experience here, and I, too, thought I did well on the oral board. Scored a 71 and am ranked 18th. Very disappointing.

If you are certified with experience I would wonder why you would want to work here. As a police officer I would hope that you would look into the current state of the dept you are applying for. Look elsewhere.

02-29-2008, 10:38 PM
Damn I guess the oral board is a killer huh?

JimmyMcNulty
02-29-2008, 10:39 PM
If you are certified with experience I would wonder why you would want to work here. As a police officer I would hope that you would look into the current state of the dept you are applying for. Look elsewhere.
Hey, maybe he's looking at it like an investment: Buy in low, sell high. By the time he retires, we may be the highest paid again.
:roll:

02-29-2008, 11:38 PM

I'm looking for a change. I'm not one to get involved in departmental BS and/or gossip. I want to make my traffic stops, hump my calls and be left alone. FLPD, despite some bumps in the road is still a very appealing agency.

03-01-2008, 03:52 AM
If your a protected class member you'll be hired. If your a W/M maybe, but don't count on it. Hope this helps

Aint that the truth, what a classy response!

03-01-2008, 05:27 AM
I want to make my traffic stops, hump my calls and be left alone.

There’s nothing wrong with being a go-getter or going beyond the call of glory when the chit hits the fan. The problem is that our administration wants to do more with less, meaning that every day you will have to hump your calls to get things done. In areas where once you had 12 or 15 bodies, you have 6 now. If you decide to go balls-out with your 10-50’s; you become a blue-falcon. Proactive work is left to our illustrious strike team (slugs on roids) so basically the city gets more for their money.

03-01-2008, 05:38 AM

I don’t get it, when I was hired I was certified but had very little experience, yet I scored a 90 and I was ranked 2nd. So how can all these experience officers score so low? Sure, they drill you on domestics and the use of discretion but that’s not something that an experience cop wouldn’t know? FLPD oral board can’t be that hard, it must be something else.

03-01-2008, 05:56 AM

I'm looking for a change. I'm not one to get involved in departmental BS and/or gossip. I want to make my traffic stops, hump my calls and be left alone. FLPD, despite some bumps in the road is still a very appealing agency.

I work here and I will tell you that you will NOT be left alone. You will be micromanaged and mailigned and treated like crap. And if you truly believe you can "hump your calls" and whatever else you said without getting into whats going on then that makes me think that you will be in it only for yourself and will not back up the very union fighting for your rights. Take it from someone on the inside. This is not a good place to work right now and there is nothing appealing about it.

03-01-2008, 11:01 AM

I work here and I will tell you that you will NOT be left alone. You will be micromanaged and mailigned and treated like crap. And if you truly believe you can "hump your calls" and whatever else you said without getting into whats going on then that makes me think that you will be in it only for yourself and will not back up the very union fighting for your rights. Take it from someone on the inside. This is not a good place to work right now and there is nothing appealing about it.

03-01-2008, 11:07 AM
(oops... clicked when I should have typed. Anyway:)

That's just what we need, another Blue Falcon. Actually, you're the administration's perfect candidate: You'll keep your head in the sand and won't stand up for yourself. The perfect officer -- humping calls, doing your park checks and never showing up for an FOP mtg.