PDA

View Full Version : Effective Leadership 101

01-30-2008, 05:51 AM
If anyone is interested in the progress of the new shifts since all of the changes on January 20th, you might find the following information of interest. Let's focus on the new Bravo Squad for this entry...

The newly reassigned lt. definitely made his entry with a bang, giving absolute certainty on who was in charge from the get-go. The first night of briefing consisted of a very positive directive to encourage the troops to do their best at police work. What, you ask, did the positive and uplifting speech consist of? "If any of you embarrass me by allowing a burglary to take place on my shift, I will make sure to embarrass you in return." ...and, NO, this was not said in a joking manner.

I did hear that sick time usage of his troops is important too. Hopefully, vacation requests for the squad will not be affected by "overused" sick time.

Also, a new approach to supervising was explored, as he pulled the senior OFFICERS aside and told them, "the other night shift was able to get the better/more experienced sergeants, so I am expecting you all to step up to the plate and do what is needed when the time comes." Yes, I know that I do not have the exact wording correct with these "quotes" but, ask around to those who are on Bravo, especially the senior guys, and they will tell you basically the same core information. So you don't have to take a look at the bid sheet, here's the bottom line...

Bravo has four sergeants, Heacox, Shanley, Wilson, and Guity. Heacox has been a supervisor for several years, and, an EXCELLENT supervisor at that. Obviously, all of you know that Shanley and Wilson were promoted last year, while Guity was promoted just a few days ago. It is to be expected that the last three would be considered as not as experienced. BUT, to tell the rank-and-file officers that the other squad "got the better sgts" while not giving the exception to Heacox is unacceptable. ANYONE who has worked for Heacox knows that he is a positive leader and will do anything to support his people. Ask the people who expected him to be their supervisor this year...they will, without any doubt, tell you the same thing. Maybe Walker is using that point as reason to assign him to the NW sgt position to bring balance to the force. I am sure that his reasoning for that assignment was fair and consistent with what any good leader would do, right?

Now I am sure that there will be those who will read this post and say to themselves that I am just whining because I can't deal with real police work, or something to that effect. I am willing to accept that is going to happen. Instead, what they should do is realize that there is no one on his shift that feels his approach with intimidation has encouraged them to do quality police work to make him content. So, he is saying that the more experienced sgts. are on Charlie Squad...those of you who have been at this department will probably agree that is only a third true. I guess he is going by the fact that two of the three sgts. on Bravo are part of the SWAT cult, as he used to be, automatically making them more experienced for some reason. It's interesting to know that one can have some patrol experience with street crimes experience, and that makes them a better cop. I guess that is up for interpretation. The third sergeant on Charlie actually has patrol and investigative background, which in some respects DOES make him a better cop all around...there's the one-third "truth". Jumping out of black, unmarked police cars to catch dopers and prostitutes don't solve the ills of society, nor does it make you the best cop. Being an effective leader is NOT making sure people know the new sheriff in town is. Being an effective leader IS just that...being a leader, not a dictator. An effective TEAM is lead by example, as well as experience and the WILLINGNESS to continue learning from your peers and subordinates.

So, let's begin. I am sure that there will be a good number of posts which are positive and negative toward my original message...judging from past threads on this site, that's a given. I expect those from SCU or SWAT to be defensive, but, when morale is undoubtedly at such a low point for us as a TEAM, our "leaders" are the ones who need to "step up to the plate" and do what is right for the greater good.

It is a simple philosophy: the troops are only as effective as their supervisors...the supervisors are only as effective as their troops.

To the troops on Bravo Squad who want their opinion known, PLEASE post them here to voice yourself. Maybe that might make some sliver of difference...anything is worth a shot. It is certainly understandable why you would feel apprehensive in doing so in person. Otherwise, it is a looong road until next January's shift bid.

01-30-2008, 02:46 PM
Wow, I did not read that as complaining or *****ing. You said you have the less experienced and not the best supervisors? That goes for the Lt. also. He was speaking for the all the supervisors on your squad not just the Sgt.’s. Leader he is not. That is what you get when you have an E.M.T. supervising real Police. When you have people who can take test get promoted but have never done the job. One day it will come around and bite the City in the ass.

01-30-2008, 06:03 PM
I find the above post to be one of the best and most well-composed articulations found on this website. There definitely appears to be some early problems on Bravo Squad. I agree that intimidation and a dictatorial style will not get this Lt. what he wants. I also hear that much of this may be spurred on by what has been described as a competition between the two night shift Lts. One might wonder who has proposed this competition (3rd floor), and what the percieved winner has to gain. On that note, I hear that we may have a Capt opening sometime this year. I wonder what the standard put to the officers is. Is it numbers of arrests? The number of entries of self-initiated activities recorded in the daily logs? The weight in dope recovered? The lowered numbers of property crimes in a respective officer's zone? Remember ladies and gentlemen. We have SCU with a primary focus on dope and hookers. We have NLOs with a primary focus on special neighborhood problems. We have NET with a special focus on surveillance operations, following, and apprending burglars. If all of these units actually did what were supposed to do, patrol officers could focus on what they are supposed to do. ANSWER CALLS FOR SERVICE. NOT hide in the bushes watching power substations. NOT using UC cars for surveillance/counter-drug operations. So if you find yourself frustrated and worrying about measuring up, do what all those EXPERIENCED officers on day shift do. ANSWER ONE CALL AT A TIME AND WRITE REPORTS. After all that IS your job as a PATROL OFFICER. If you do THAT no one can say a damn thing to you.

01-30-2008, 08:20 PM
I propose the next shipment of these digital camera systems be installed in the cars of our SCU officers. As they are "better" and more "experienced", maybe the department could devise a system in which the footage of the "best" officers we have could be dowloaded daily and played in documentary style in briefings to "school" everyone. Within the first week of filming we'll have available:

"Catching Up With a Vehicle.........(Across the Entire City).......with SCU."

"Special Tactical Punitive Applications of Defensive Action".

"Black Cars and Their Stealth Ability.....Flying Under the RADAR and Outside Policy."

"Why You Don't Know WTF We're Doing.....The Hotel Channel Saga."

Season Finale:

"A Recap of This Week in Video Review: Why We're So Effective and Yall Ain't"

(This one won't be shown to patrol as it insinuates that pro-active, fly by the seat of your pants, slightly outside of policy, and in the grey area is how you get $hit done in law enforcement. Too bad the rest of us have to play by the rules and get EMBARASSED)

01-31-2008, 02:04 AM
It seems as though you DID NOT hear what a heard. I heard a supervisor encourage his squad to be the BEST they can be. I have worked on this squad and others where there is no accountability held to the shift supervisors nor the incompetent and weak staff or officers that do not perform. For those of us who work hard to do the best for this office and our community, would welcome the leadership appointed to us. I have worked for this lt before and he has made impressive moves within the department . As far as the skill he displays (EMT) etc., sounds as if there may be a little envy/ego issue's of your own. It has been only a few weeks so give it a rest until you have a real complaint. Cry baby? Yes![/b]

01-31-2008, 02:17 AM
IT APPEARS THAT THE ABOVE POSTER HAS NEVER BEEN IN A PRO ACTIVE UNIT SUCH AS STREET CRIMES. I AM NOT A STREET CRIMES OFFICER AND WILL NEVER BE. I COULDNT PAST THE SWAT TEST IF I TRIED.
I ON THE OTHER HAND HAVE WORKED WITH STREET CRIMES AND KNOW WHAT GOES ON IN THE UNIT.
MOST PEOPLE DONT KNOW THAT STREET CRIMES SPENDS HOURS ASSISTING OTHER UNITS SUCH AS CIS AND SIS WITH OPERATIONS AS WELL AS OTHER AGENCIES. THIS IS ON TOP OF THEIR DAY TO DAY JOB THAT THEY DO WITH PRIDE AND NEVER COMPLAIN ABOUT. THEY WORK WHEN TOLD TO AND DO WHAT THEY ARE TOLD. EACH MONTH SCU ARRESTS BETWEEN 100 AND 150 PEOPLE. I UNDERSTAND THAT THEY DONT ANSWER CALLS BUT KEEP IN MIND THAT THEY DONT GET TO JUST HIT THE STREETS EVERYDAY ALL DAY(REFER TO THE ABOVE SENTENCES FOR THEIR OTHER ACTIVITIES). NOT MANY PEOPLE KNOW THAT STREET CRIMES SERVES SEARCH WARRANTS ON A WHIM WHEN CALLED, DAY OR NIGHT ON OR OFF DUTY. MOST PEOPLE THINK THAT KICKING IN DOORS IS COOL AND WHAT POLICE WORK IS ALL ABOUT. PART OF THAT IS TRUE BUT MOST DO NOT KNOW THAT BEFORE THE DOOR KICKIN CAN BEGIN, SCU IS USUALLY SITTING IN A VAN WAITING FOR THE BAD GUY TO GET HOME OR THE STARS TO ALIGN OR SOMETHING SO THE DETECTIVE CAN GIVE THE GO AHEAD. I SPEAK FROM EXPERIENCE BECAUSE I HAVE HAD STREET CRIMES ON STANDBY FOR HOURS ON A TFDD...IF YOU DONT KNOW WHAT TFDD IS PLEASE ASK SOMEONE WHO HAS WORKED DOPE BECAUSE YOU OBVIOUSLY HAVENT. OK, MOVING ON...
STREET CRIMES DOES WORK ON A DIFFERENT CHANNEL AS YOU ALL KNOW. THIS ISNT BECAUSE THEY WANT TO HIDE FROM PATROL. HECK, MOST OF PATROL APPEARS TO LISTEN TO HOTEL CHANNEL BECAUSE THEY ALWAYS SHOW UP ON PURSUITS TO HELP OUT. MUCH APPRECIATED BY THE WAY.
WITH ALL THAT SAID, PATROL IS THE BACKBONE OF POLICE WORK. I WOULD HOPE THAT YOU WOULDNT JUDGE A UNIT WITHOUT BEING THERE OR ASKING ONE ABOUT IT FIRST.
OH AND TO THE ABOVE POSTER IF YOU CANT SEEM TO FIND THAT SIGNAL 10 TO CHASE OR THAT "VEHICLE MATCHING THE DESCRIPTION" THAT YOUVE BEEN LOOKING FOR YOUR WHOLE CAREER, THEN ASK SOMEONE TO HELP YOU.
OH AND THERE WILL BE A STREET CRIMES UNIT POSITION COMING OPEN SO PUT DOWN YOUR HO HO'S AND START JOGGING AROUND THE BLOCK AND MAYBE YOU, YES YOU, CAN BE IN STREET CRIMES OR NOT.

01-31-2008, 01:03 PM
It seems as though you DID NOT hear what a heard. I heard a supervisor encourage his squad to be the BEST they can be. I have worked on this squad and others where there is no accountability held to the shift supervisors nor the incompetent and weak staff or officers that do not perform. For those of us who work hard to do the best for this office and our community, would welcome the leadership appointed to us. I have worked for this lt before and he has made impressive moves within the department . As far as the skill he displays (EMT) etc., sounds as if there may be a little envy/ego issue's of your own. It has been only a few weeks so give it a rest until you have a real complaint. Cry baby? Yes![/b]

Interesting...you heard encouragement? It seems more likely that you were not paying attention when this positive and "encouraging" message was said. Maybe you were playing on your computer when it was said, as you must have been when you posted this reply, since it was posted while Bravo was on duty. You WOULD have to be on Bravo Squad to have "heard" (as you posted) what you say you heard, right? Oh, the message to the senior officers that the other squad got the so-called "better sergeants" was words of encouragement, too, right? "Give it a rest" as "it has only been a few weeks..." Seems that you have already passed judgement yourself on the supervision on Bravo Squad with your "no accountability" reference. Too bad hypocracy isn't a strong point in good leadership...you'd be going places.

01-31-2008, 03:49 PM
And to you "positive direction", I heard what an idiot like you wrote and felt it needed defense. You are obviously NOT a team player and will not last long in your position and I see no chance of you "going places" in the department...this not a suprise... you are obviously one of the staff who is not a "performer"...well, at least not as an officer...you do very well with your words but obviously no backbone to sign your name... Giving "it a rest" and "it is only been a week" refers to being positive. Try it! Really, and then send out your all knowing and tough spoken blog.
I heard McDonald's is hiring??

01-31-2008, 04:25 PM
POLICE OFFICER (Plant City)

Pay Range Minimum: $17.99 Hr.
POLICE H.S. /GED. Valid Florida Driver License. FL Certified or presently enrolled in and will complete standard police academy within 30 days. Minimum 19 years of age, U.S. citizen, and good moral character as set forth by the State Commission.
__________________________________________________ ________

TPD
Health Insurance
The City of Tampa provides free coverage for employees and 50% for the cost of coverage for the employee's dependents.

Life Insurance
The City of Tampa provides Life and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance in the amount equal to the employee's annual salary up to a maximum amount of $50,000 each.

Long Term Disability
The city provides coverage for the amount of 30% of the employee's salary. The employee may purchase a higher level of coverage equal up to 60% of the employee's salary for a small monthly cost.

Dental Insurance
The city offers two dental plans for you, your spouse, and your eligible children for a small monthly premium.

Pension Rate
3.15% of salary per year (example: 20 years @ 3.15% = 63% of salary)
Holidays
Eleven designated per fiscal year. Employees working on holidays will be paid for all hours worked in addition to 8 hours of holiday pay.

Vacation Leave
Leave is accrued every pay cycle based on hours worked. Up to 98.8 hours per calendar year. Leave can be used after 6 months of employment.

Sick Leave
Leave is accrued every pay cycle based on hours worked. Up to 98.8 hours per calendar year. Leave can be used as soon as it is accrued.

Military Leave
17 days of paid military leave with all benefits will be provided.

Shift Premium Pay
Employees reporting to work after 1300 hours will receive additional shift premium pay of $.60 per hour.

Education Incentive
Employees with an Associate of Science/Arts degree will receive an additional $30.00 per month.
Employees with a Bachelor's of Science/Art degree will receive an additional $80.00 per month.
Employees may earn additional money by completing training through the State Career Development Program (up to a maximum of $130.00 per month, including educational incentive money)
Tuition Reimbursement
The city will reimburse employees for approved training up to $1,500.00 per fiscal year (tuition only).

Citizenship
Must be US Citizen

Certification
State of Florida Law Enforcement Officer Certification -or- current enrollment in a Commission-approved Law Enforcement Basic Training Program.

Out-of-State Officer Applicants
Equivalency Training for Florida Certification:

St. Petersburg Junior College
3200 34th Street South
St. Petersburg, Florida 33733
(727) 341-4494
John Dressback, Academy Coordinator
(three week course)
Comparative Compliance:

With a minimum of two but not more than four years service with another agency of comparable size and comparable responsibility, applicants start at Step 2 pay grade. Position must have been a full-time sworn position.

With four or more years service with another agency of comparable size and comparable responsibility, applicants start at Step 3 pay grade. Position must have been a full-time sworn position.
Education/Work Experience: (any one of)
Associate's degree or equivalent or completion of two years of college (60 semester hours or 90 quarter hours). College, University or Community College must be accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, another regional accrediting agency, or the Accrediting Commission of Independent Colleges and Schools. -OR-

High School diploma and three years of prior law enforcement experience with an agency of medium to large size (50 or more officers). -OR-

High School diploma and three years of military experience. -OR-

High School diploma and five years experience with the Tampa Police Department Reserve Force.

Other Requirements
Valid Florida Driver's License

Must have Social Security number

Be of good moral character: No felony arrests or misdemeanor convictions involving moral character, domestic violence, perjury or false statements.

The Tampa Police Department offers many opportunities in the law enforcement career. There are many specialized units and assignments throughout the department to aim toward. Some of our specialty units include:

K-9 Handler
TRT (Tactical Response Team)
Mounted Patrol
DUI Squads
Traffic Enforcement Squads
School Resource Officer
Marine Unit/Dive Team
Aviation Squad
Hazardous Device/Materials Team
Hostage Negotiator Team
Narcotics Unit
Q.U.A.D. Squads (Quick Uniformed Attack on Drugs)
Bicycle Patrol
Crime Prevention Bureau
Police Athletic League
Elderly Affairs Unit
Federal Task Force Officers
There are many other special assignments too numerous to mention. Whatever your interest, there is a special assignment for your special talents.

Effective October 2007
Police Officer Hourly Annual
1st Step

$21.34
$44,387.20

2nd Step

$22.28 $46,342.40
3rd Step

$23.27 $46,401.60
4th Step

$24.47 $50,987.60
5th Step

$25.58 $53,206.40
6th Step

$26.73 $55,598.40
7th Step

$27.89 $58.011.20
8th Step

$29.12 $60,569.60
9th Step

$30.44 $63,315.20
10th Step

$31.11 $64,708.80
Master Officer

$34.67 $72,113.60

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Corporal/Detective Hourly Annual
1st Step

$28.35
$58,968

2nd Step

$29.62
$61,609

3rd Step

$30.95
$64,376

4th Step

$32.30
$67,184

5th Step

$33.72
$70,137

Senior

$35.21
$73,236

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sergeant Hourly Annual
1st Step

$31.60
$65,728

2nd Step

$32.99
$68,619

3rd Step

$34.08
$70,886

4th Step

$35.59
$74,027

5th Step

$37.15
$77,272

Senior

$38.78
$80,662
__________________________________________________ __________
PCSO $35,470 annually after training 1 Law Enforcement http://www.polksheriff.org/jobs/descriptions/2114.pdf
__________________________________________________ __________

The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office values the contributions of its law enforcement personnel. The office’s outstanding benefits package is one of the ways the HCSO retains its current employees and attracts new personnel to the agency.

The Sheriff is committed to providing a positive working environment centered on a generous Benefits Package, which includes but is not limited to:

Health / Dental / Vision Plans
Sick Leave and Disability
13 Leave Options (Vacation, Holiday etc...)
$160 A Month Extra Paid Benefit from Sheriff for Discretionary Expenses
Education Incentive Pay up to $130 per Month
Up to $150 A Month Language Incentive Pay (Bi-lingual in Spanish or Sign Language)
Paid Overtime & Court Time
All Uniforms Provided (Except Firearms and Footwear)
Take Home Car
Tuition Assistance up to $2,500 per Fiscal Year
Veterans Apprenticeship Training Program Available
VETERANS' PREFERENCE : Preference will ONLY be entitled upon initial appointment for eligible veterans and eligible spouses of veterans. Documentation to support entitlement to preference MUST be provided at the time of application.

Free 24 Hour Fitness Centers
7 Day per Week Day Care Facility Available
Deferred Compensation Plan (457) with 2 1/2% Paid by Sheriff
Florida State Retirement System
Vested in Only Six (6) Years
Deferred Retirement Option Available
100% Paid by the Sheriff
25 Year Retirement Regardless of Age at 75% of Income
Salary

Effective October 01, 2006:

Deputy $39,115.44 to $61,042.80

Work Schedule

Patrol Work Schedule
Deputies work 12-hour shifts and a 42-hour week. The shifts consist of a long week consisting of 60 hours and a short week consisting of 24 hours. Every other weekend is a 3-day weekend off.

Sick Leave and Disability

Leave – Benefits

Annual Leave
Bereavement Leave
Childbirth – Adoption
Civic Leave
Compensatory Leave
Emergency Leave
Leave of Absence
Holiday and Floating Holiday
Military Leave
Newborn
Short term Disability
Sick Leave
Worker’s Compensation
Annual Leave

Less than 5 years… 84 hours
More than 5 years – less than 10 years – 100.8 hours
More than 10 years – less than 15 years – 126 hours
15 years or more – 168 hours
Holiday and Floating Holiday

96 Hours combined holiday and floating holiday time
Sick Leave

Law Enforcement Deputies receive 2.59 hours of sick leave per pay period
Disability Leave

0 – 15 days no pay
15 – 180 days pays 75% of salary
180 – 260 days pays 66%of salary
Vacation, holiday, sick time, and compensatory time may be used to supplement amount up to full rate of pay.

A Cafeteria Fund is provided to employees in the amount of $160 per month. This may be used toward payment of health or dental insurance, or may be used as extra income.

Other Benefits

Education Incentive Pay (maximum of $130/month)
Paid State of Florida Retirement
$20,000.00 free group life insurance
Optional health and insurance plans
Deferred compensation
All uniforms supplied (firearms and footwear excluded)
Overtime and court compensation
Excellent promotional opportunities
Take home car within Hillsborough County at no expense. If living in an adjoining county there is a fee for mileage.
__________________________________________________ ___________

Salary
Work Schedule
Vacation/Holidays
Sick Leave &
Disability

Health/Dental
Pension Plan

The Mission of the Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office is to serve, protect, and defend the community while preserving the rights and dignity of all.

01-31-2008, 05:18 PM
Thank you so very much for all of the career choices. It is quite evident you did some considerable research for that...thanks again!

The unfortunate part about all of that hard work is that it really doesn't apply to the topic at hand. In fact, it is quite clear it is just a diversion to deflect other's attention away from the original post. With that in mind, why don't you create your own thread that its replies might relate to the original post? Then, your attempts at weeding out the people you firmly do not believe are the team players can be even more clear. This is not an issue of looking for "other agencies to work at because LPD is so bad."

01-31-2008, 07:12 PM
To the author of the original post, if you feel so strongly about this issue to put it into words, why don't you speak directly to your bravo shift lt about your concerns...all of of your concerns. It may be tough but if you are so verbal about your complaints in a blog than be tough enough to initiate a conversation with who you say is the source of the issues you have.

01-31-2008, 08:22 PM
Dear Positive whiner...

actually the research was easy I thought since you complained so much maybe aonther agency has a LT you wouldn't mind working for...lol

Signed, Career Counselor

01-31-2008, 09:33 PM
I propose the next shipment of these digital camera systems be installed in the cars of our SCU officers. As they are "better" and more "experienced", maybe the department could devise a system in which the footage of the "best" officers we have could be dowloaded daily and played in documentary style in briefings to "school" everyone. Within the first week of filming we'll have available:

"Catching Up With a Vehicle.........(Across the Entire City).......with SCU."

"Special Tactical Punitive Applications of Defensive Action".

"Black Cars and Their Stealth Ability.....Flying Under the RADAR and Outside Policy."

"Why You Don't Know WTF We're Doing.....The Hotel Channel Saga."

Season Finale:

"A Recap of This Week in Video Review: Why We're So Effective and Yall Ain't"

(This one won't be shown to patrol as it insinuates that pro-active, fly by the seat of your pants, slightly outside of policy, and in the grey area is how you get $hit done in law enforcement. Too bad the rest of us have to play by the rules and get EMBARASSED)

This is the first time I have ever posted on this site, although I have read and followed several posts for entertainment purposes, kind of like the National Inquirer or the Lakeland Ledger.

I will not comment on what is going on with Bravo Squad right now, as I am not a member of the squad and have not witnessed anything that was printed here. I will say that I enjoyed working with Lt. Walker when he was a Sgt., and I think he did a good job.

I am a bit concerned as to why SCU/SWAT got pulled through the mud. What do they have to do with this? Let me go on record to say that Streetcrimes was very rewarding, and was definately the hardest I have ever worked at LPD. Those guys work extremely hard and probably write more reports in a week than a lot of officers write in a month. They work horrible hours and get pulled in twenty different directions at once.

They get accused of all sorts of things that they just don't do. The difference here is that their accusers wear the same uniform, and that is a shame indeed. Due to the nature of their work, their use of force files are a little thicker, but check with IA and look for a complaint about it, they are 100% justified. I have no knowledge of a sustained complaint (other than property and crashes) with SCU in the last 8-10 years. There are no cover ups (I know what you are thinking) just check the complaint log at the UPD desk. They use it.

Here's a little information for one of you "guests" appparently didn't know:
Streetcrimes' cases do not go through CIS felony intake.
They go straight to the SAO. They do not get any assistance from CIS. If they make a stolen car arrest, they have to take it all the way to doing taped statements with victims. They write search warrants and constantly interview suspects and witnesses. If you think they don't have "investigative experience", think again. They just don't have detective written on their nameplates. Is SCU solving the crime problem in Lakeland? Absolutely not. The last time I checked, the top citizen complaint in Lakeland is traffic. Street level drug dealing comes in second. The citizens in the community welcome the sight of the black unmarked, as well as most UPD officers. The drug hotspots definately slow down when they are patrolling. That's their job.

Now that I am done ranting, I'll get to my point. Someone here took a jab at an entire unit (and it's alumni) for no apparent reason, and quite frankly I think it is sad. These guys are not looking for extra pay (they don't get to work holidays and don't get stand by pay), medals, or any
other form of recoginition from anyone. SCU are good at what they do, and they enjoy it. I think the only thing they would ask is that they be left alone so they can do their jobs. Maybe you can extend them the courtesy of doing so.

Ron Bowling, Jr #57

01-31-2008, 10:04 PM
I think the quote:

is not so much a jab at street crimes as it is the fact that if all officers could play by the altered rule book that SCU does, and have the quality supervision they have, perhaps our quality of life in Lakeland would be a bit better. Sometimes you have to get dirty to get to where the scum live. When pussified policies prevent that I think a lot of us get frustrated. We ALL know that SCU does the job on the edge, come on. That is why they are so effective. It serves the administration to have the "black ops, get it done" unit, and then have the "play by the rules and play professional cop" patrol guys. We all want the same thing. To put the bad guys away. The problem is that society is not ready to accept the idea that we as law enforcement have to play in the grey area to accomplish the tasks they require of us.

02-03-2008, 01:04 AM
Nice try at saving your own *ss, but you said what you said. There is no difference between the rules in SCU and Patrol, only the motivation and quality of the personnel. Having worked both, as you obviously haven't, it's truly a pleasure to go to work everyday with a group of highly motivated individuals who truly enjoy their jobs and want to make a difference in their communities. Unlike, probably you, who sits under a oak tree behind a church and tries to figure out how to dodge the next call. To all of those individuals whom think working for LPD is SOOO BAD, leave, pack your $hit....If you dislike working here so much and think it sucks, don't "punish" yourself any longer, and please put ut out of our misery, listening to your *****ing and whining everyday. I promise, I won't miss you nor attend your going away party. Don't go away mad...just go away.

02-03-2008, 01:32 AM
To "Positive Direction", apparently you need new batteries in your Beltone hearing aid, because I don't recall your quote being said as such. I can't speak for the second one, because I wasn't there. Also, having worked for the Lt in the past, I have not had a Lt before or since that was more concerned about his personnel nor willing to go to battle for his personnel, at least in my opinion. Just ask Robertson or Addison, to name a few. Maybe you should talk to some of the people whom have worked with or for him in the past prior to making your own "judgement" of what kind of leader he is. Look what he did for our training program, making it one of the best, most enjoyable one's I've ever seen or heard about. Training at raceway, simunitions, etc.

Also, I don't recall the Lt having a problem of not "leading by example". Seems like he was standing right next to us when we had to enter a house down on the south side after a subject that fled from us was barricaded in house where a baby was sleeping inside. Your SWAT boys were out of town at the time. Heck, I think he was the first to go inside. Just ask Cantrell or Barrett, they will remember. Just mention "tasers". So, before you spout off next time, why don't you wait and see.