PDA

View Full Version : WHAT DOES IT MEAN WHEN.....?

01-29-2008, 10:05 PM
The Plant City, city attorney and city administration go to the Tampay city attorney for help and postpone a meeting with a recently fired officer and his PBA attorney, rescheduling that meeting to take place in Tampa? Hmmmm....now that's a good question.

I know what I think it means guys but no matter how the vote goes, you all need to join the PBA and have some representation immediately! Why? Once again ask yourself this question..."What made the city administration go running to the Tampa city attorney?" Because they have no answers for that fired officer or his experienced PBA attorney when asked some direct questions concerning the whys and wherefores.

If you were in the same predicament without representation and you felt you were wrongfully terminated who would be in your corner? If you're on the Chief's "YOU'RE MY BUDDY" list and have thought about not voting in the PBA that's just fine but if you're not on that list, your cheese is hangin in the wind! I joined the PBA while I was still with PCPD for that exact reason and if you haven't already, I strongly advise you to join ASAP.

Take care of each other and be safe out there brothers.

01-29-2008, 10:18 PM
So what good will an "experienced" PBA attorney do for the fired officer? The "best interest of the city" reasoning has been tested all the way to the Florida Supreme Court by previous officers, some of which had some "very experienced" labor attorneys on their side. Did not matter...the courts held up the "at will" clause. This law has been tested by officers in other cities in Florida also, with the same outcome.
I am not saying that I agree with, actually I wish you were right and that it could and would make a difference, however the truth is...it will not.
The best way to gain job security is do what you were hired to do, with the same enthusiasm you had when you started, otherwise I assure you that you will be fired with enthusiasm just like the officers in question.

01-30-2008, 12:31 AM
I appreciate your response and based on your reply you have probably been with PCPD for some time and seen and heard of the challenges to the "At Will" clause. But, I believe your logic is a bit flawed. I agree on one point, be enthusiastic, aspire to do the job well and strive for excellence. Get the stinkin bad guys and take care of your brothers in arms! Amen!

All of that is true and sounds great until that one day/night that maybe you make a mistake.... Ever made one of those? Maybe an ugly mistake while enthusiastically going after the bad guy or doing your level best to work a call that goes bad. We are all falable. We all have chinks and weak spots in our armor and our decision making which is better or worse given the day, sleep, training or lack thereof and the situation at hand.

Bottom line; be enthusiastic and do a good job but don't think for one stinkin second that it will keep you from being fired, "At the Will" of the chief. Any time someone is fired, folks that have been around for any time look back at those who possibly weren't fired and have done the same and often....very often....much worse and are still at PCPD.

Do your job...be enthusiastic. But also it may benefit you to enthusiastically go down to the PBA office and sign up.

01-30-2008, 02:51 AM
I was with PCPD for 2 administrations. I agree you should do your job enthusiastically. I would caution all though that being enthusiastic, conscientious, perfect officer, etc will not protect you from being terminated if it suited Billy.
Over the years, we have had many golden boys, supervisors, detectives, and patrol terminated. Some were terminated for good reasons and some for questionable reasons after pissing him off. If you have been around for awhile you have seen questionable terminations, punishments, promotions, favorable/unfavorable treatment.
The courts may have ruled in favor of the at will clause in the past, but that doesn't mean a union can't win against it. Contrary to one of the above posts, the at will clause is not common in Florida and there have been few recent cases to test it. Plant City is only one of two cities in Florida with this in it's constitution. Plant City can have this removed with proper motivation. In the 90s, one officer was terminated "for the good of the city" and took it to court. The court ruled against him, not on the merits of his case, but due to this being in the city's constitution. At the time, the judge warned the city to be very careful how they use it.
What I am saying is, do your job, but protect yourself. When you do this, you are protecting your family as well.
Bottom line is, I don't care if you are John, Darrell, or Carl. If you became a liability or embarrassed Billy, you would be without a job and attempting to explain to a potential employer what "for the good of the city" meant.

01-31-2008, 03:12 PM
I didn't hear about this, well until just now that is. I heard that both guys got fired for just cause but maybe, at least in this guys case maybe it was "just cause" they felt like it and that's why he's fighting it. Either way it does seem funny they would need outside help to get things straight. So either they did fire the guy without just cause or they just don't know what the heck they're doin or both. Doesn't look or sound too good either way and I'm pretty sure, after reading this stuff and other posts on other sections that I'm at least gonna join the PBA whether I vote them in or not. Thanks for the info.

01-31-2008, 03:24 PM
Hey guys...guess what I just found out from a VERY RELIABLE source? The city wrote up the paperwork on the officer we're talking about on here and said they fired him for "DISOBEYING A LAWFUL ORDER" though he never saw nor signed anything ever to state that he was informed and/or agreed that such an act occurred or was ever acknowledged in any way. ARE YOU KIDDING ME?! So now the guy who apparently, like a lot of us, has a wife kids and a house to support can't even draw unemployment. THAT'S JUST WRONG! I'm not a PBA member yet but I guarantee I will be before this week is out. That "at will" clause should be called "at feel" that is, if THEY FEEL LIKE FIRING YOU, THEY WILL...then leave you so you can't even get unemployment. I'm joining the PBA and may look to get out of here sooner than later.

02-01-2008, 03:11 AM
Yep partner...Billy takes care of all your needs until you get on his bad side. I can only guess that u r one of those that could or should have been fired more than once but Billy took care of u for one reason or another. I think he takes care of some for two reasons: (1) He can hold it over their heads later as the need arises and make you feel fortunate that he hung onto u instead of firin ya and (2) He uses it to keep them there.

Yep cuz throwin garbage letters of reprimand and IA(s) into folks records makes them look bad when they try to get hired anywhere else...So...Yall good ole boys just keep on singin Billy's praises about how much better he is than the previous "chief" just as long as you're not on his bad list and are snuggled up real nice like between the cheeks of his buttocks....careful he don't turn too quick without signallin yall first...u he might break that nose of yorn...

02-01-2008, 03:14 AM
How many crashes in PCPD/City vehicles has the Chief been in ....say, oh i don't know.....the last year and a half to two years? Did he get a letter in his jacket for at least two at-fault accidents? Did he take away his take home car....did he consider firing himself?

04-16-2009, 09:11 PM
You are so right when you say if you get on the wrong side of Billy you will be fired. Even if he has to trump up charges. When a review board clears you of all charges you still cannot get your job back. At will bites you again. Billy had his minions lie about me several years ago and I lost my job. The review board cleared me and Billy still will not allow the FDLE to change the termination to resigned. All this because Billy thought I did something to him even though I did not.

04-17-2009, 06:18 PM
OK guys, I've been away from PCPD for a while now...besides those involved in the trunk incident, who else has been fired lately?

BTW, you see this JOKE on TBO.COM: wouldn't need new/more officers if Billy didn't sh!t Can his officers for BS reasons: Read and laugh!

Plant City seeks federal help to hire more officers
Plant City seeks federal help to hire more officers. City commissioners have authorized City Manager David Sollenberger and police Chief Bill McDaniel to apply for enough money to hire 11 police officers and seven civilian employees. GEORGE WILKENS Plant City seeks federal help to hire more officers City officials plan to apply for about $3 million in federal grants to beef up the police force.
The Tampa Tribune - Apr 16, 2009