PDA

View Full Version : New Officer

01-28-2008, 07:42 PM
Can anyone please advise the process for a full time new officer that is Florida certificed with DEP LE Division after the application is turned in.That is of course ,if their are any positions aval.Ie Is the interview in Tall.or in your local area,is their a written,poly.,phyc.,physical agility tests etc.I reside in the Miami area.Thank you.

01-29-2008, 05:31 AM
Can anyone please advise the process for a full time new officer that is Florida certificed with DEP LE Division after the application is turned in.That is of course ,if their are any positions aval.Ie Is the interview in Tall.or in your local area,is their a written,poly.,phyc.,physical agility tests etc.I reside in the Miami area.Thank you.

There is a spelling and grammar test.

01-30-2008, 09:34 AM
That answer should tell you what you are getting into :oops:

01-30-2008, 02:43 PM
Thanks for the input english teacher with the smart comment.But could someone please answer the questions if anyone knows.I have been a Law Enforcement Officer in South Florida for over 25 years and I have heard a lot of good things about D.E.P. L.E. Division.That is why I am interested in your anency.I believe it will be a different type police work,as I have only worked in the city.Thanks

01-30-2008, 10:49 PM
I can only attest to my hiring experience, but hopefully this will help. To start with, we do need more positions on patrol. Usually we are short in the Miami area, so that is a plus for you. We are feeling the budget crunch like everyone else, so I will be suprised if there are any positions filled anytime soon.

The first thing is a timed test that covers English and math skills. Then, there is an oral board or interview, a background and the PAT test.

This is a great job. It is especially good, in my opinion for officers that have retired from another agency. We do not "run and gun" on a regular basis, but be assured we do what we need to do and have to do in order to get the job accomplished. This job is ALOT of what you make it to be.
You chose how your day is going to go. We do not go from call to call. We are mostly proactive. However, due to the volume of visitors in the parks that we patrol, we stay very busy, especially during the summer time. Unlike local agencies, our "zones" are seasonal. There are quieter times during the winter months in most parks.

We are one of the best equipped agencies in Florida. This is another reason that you get to choose how you would like your day to go. You can run radar and work traffic all day if you want, or you can get on your boat(if you are in one of the areas that have boats), your ATV(the majority of the parks have an LEO marked ATV,your bike or possibly your PWC(not all parks have these). You have alot to do with structuring your day to patrol effectively.

I hope this helps. Please disregard the negative comments. I am sure that after 25 years in, you know that there are always a few that are so disgruntled, that they cannot find anything good to say. We always need good officers, be dilligent. Be safe.

01-30-2008, 11:15 PM
Thank You Sir for the information.