PDA

View Full Version : Recent Graduate thinking about applying

01-28-2008, 07:07 AM
I recently graduated college with my B.A. in Crm Justice and then graduated the police academy last month. I have been thinking about applying with Polk SO, but really have not heard anything about it and was hoping ya'll could answer some of my questions. I was wondering how long the hiring process would take? How morale is? and what the take home car policy is.

01-28-2008, 08:21 AM
hiring process takes a couple months....much will depend on Tuesdays vote. we have take home cars if you live in the county. Morale is as good or better than most other agencies

I wish you luck

01-28-2008, 02:37 PM
Without any prior law enforcement experience plan on working in the jail for at least two years. At least I believe that is what they are doing now.

01-30-2008, 11:17 AM
Try applying with Highlands County Sheriff's Office. We have openings, work 12 hour shifts, and have take home vehicles. Starting salary is around $32,000.00 to 33,000.00 and there is plenty of over time.

01-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Actually if you are law enforcement certified, you do not have to start in the jail.

01-30-2008, 05:59 PM
It is 'swell' that you have a BS in criminal justice. However, I have come to learn, dont put all your eggs in one basket. In POlk County terms, have another vocation on the side.

01-30-2008, 08:15 PM
what do you mean its "swell" I have a degree? Also, it a B.A. not a B.S. Criminology and the science of criminal is B.S.

DS663FL
01-31-2008, 01:06 AM
THE DEGREE WILL NOT MAKE YOU A GOOD DEPUTY, HOW GOOD YOU WILL BE IS UP TO YOU. HOWEVER, IT WILL MAKE A GOOD DEPUTY BETTER. BEST OF LUCK--HOPE TO SEE 1065ing SOON!

ALSO SOME ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTIONS:
STARTRING 35K+ LAST I CHECKED; AFTER INTITIAL TRAINING PHASE. NEW HIRES WORK TWO YEARS IN THE JAIL, BUT THIS IS WAIVED IF YOU HAVE PAST ROAD EXPERIENCE **I BELIEVE***.

THE PERKS: TAKE HOME CAR, WHICH CAN BE DRIVEN OFF DUTY ANYWHERE WITHIN THE COUNTY; COLLEGE TUITION RE-IMBURSEMENT; OFF DUTY DETAILS $25 HOURLY; EVERYTHING, BUT YOUR UNDER GARMENTS ARE PROVIDED AND REPLACEMENT OF LOST OR DAMAGED UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT IS A BREEZE; LAPTOP COMPUTERS WITH INTERNET ACCESS IN EVERY UNIT. 12 HOUR NON-ROTATING SHITS. ISSUED WEAPON IS A GLOCK 40.

POSSIBLE NEGATIVES: MUST LIVE WITHIN THE COUNTY, SHIFT BIDS ARE YEARLY BASED ON SENIORITY. THE POSSIBILITY FOR PROMOTION REQUIRES A FOUR-YEAR DEGREE OR BETTER TO MAKE SGT AND A MASTER DEGREE FOR ANYTHING ABOVE THAT. GENERALLY NO PAID OVERTIME, ALL OVERTIME IS FLEXED WITHIN THE FOUR WEEK PAY CYCLE. OH, EVERYBODY WILL TELL YOU TO ARREST HIM, WHILE POINTING AS THIER BUDDY. THEY WILL THINK IT IS THE FUNNIEST THING YOU EVER HEARD.

01-31-2008, 03:29 AM
thank you for the information. I know the degree doesn't make a good deputy, its just a plus when applying and applying for promotions. Thank you for all the information. It looks like they are wanting people to work in the jail first, so looks like I will be working elsewhere. Stay safe

01-31-2008, 11:41 AM
Like most, college grads, i was misunderstood. It is good that one has a college degree in criminology or whatever, all i was saying was that dont bank on that criminology degree to to carry you anywhere after your sick...i mean after you 'retire' from being a cop. Many colleagues have found that out.

01-31-2008, 12:40 PM
you only have to work in the jail if you are fresh off the streets with no prior law enforcement experience, and if you are wanting us to pay for your law enforcement training.

we only will pay for you to get corrections certified...but if you already have your law enforcement training w/o any road experience you can still apply for the road deputy position.

at this time however, we are fully staffed. but be on the look out someone will do are say something stupid and lose the position. otherwise someone may also leave for the greener grass somewhere else, who knows now a days.

i thought you might want to know, because you stated that you just finished the police academy, so that means, considering that you have passed the state board test, are already le certified, am i correct?

01-31-2008, 04:00 PM
yes I have passed the test and am certified

02-15-2008, 11:07 AM
yes I have passed the test and am certified
CONGRATULATIONS...Now is the time to apply at several agencies and not put your eggs in one basket.

Don't get the idea that if you get hired as a jail deputy for two years you will then be able to go on the road. It just doesn't happen..

There are jail deputies who left and are working at other Polk county agencies simply because they were told one thing and then had to stay in the jail because of personnel shortages.

Try Lakeland PD, Winter Haven PD, Haines City PD, Lake Wales PD Bartow PD or Auburndale PD. They all have opportunities for you. Bigger is not necessarily better.

You will find that Lakeland and Winter Haven have higher starting salaries
and most of the other agencies in Polk county have take home cars too.

Call these department's personnel and recruiting people. They will send you information on their department.

Oh yes. Having your BA degree is great and I hope to see you go and get a Masters degree. A combination of work experience and higher education is a plus for your career. The work experience will put you in the reality phase of things and you will realize that theories are great in college but different when you are working the streets.

I've had my say.

TheOldCop :)

02-22-2008, 06:06 PM
THE DEGREE WILL NOT MAKE YOU A GOOD DEPUTY, HOW GOOD YOU WILL BE IS UP TO YOU. HOWEVER, IT WILL MAKE A GOOD DEPUTY BETTER. BEST OF LUCK--HOPE TO SEE 1065ing SOON!

ALSO SOME ANSWERS FOR YOUR QUESTIONS:
STARTRING 35K+ LAST I CHECKED; AFTER INTITIAL TRAINING PHASE. NEW HIRES WORK TWO YEARS IN THE JAIL, BUT THIS IS WAIVED IF YOU HAVE PAST ROAD EXPERIENCE **I BELIEVE***.

THE PERKS: TAKE HOME CAR, WHICH CAN BE DRIVEN OFF DUTY ANYWHERE WITHIN THE COUNTY; COLLEGE TUITION RE-IMBURSEMENT; OFF DUTY DETAILS $25 HOURLY; EVERYTHING, BUT YOUR UNDER GARMENTS ARE PROVIDED AND REPLACEMENT OF LOST OR DAMAGED UNIFORMS AND EQUIPMENT IS A BREEZE; LAPTOP COMPUTERS WITH INTERNET ACCESS IN EVERY UNIT. 12 HOUR NON-ROTATING SHITS. ISSUED WEAPON IS A GLOCK 40.

POSSIBLE NEGATIVES: MUST LIVE WITHIN THE COUNTY, SHIFT BIDS ARE YEARLY BASED ON SENIORITY. THE POSSIBILITY FOR PROMOTION REQUIRES A FOUR-YEAR DEGREE OR BETTER TO MAKE SGT AND A MASTER DEGREE FOR ANYTHING ABOVE THAT. GENERALLY NO PAID OVERTIME, ALL OVERTIME IS FLEXED WITHIN THE FOUR WEEK PAY CYCLE. OH, EVERYBODY WILL TELL YOU TO ARREST HIM, WHILE POINTING AS THIER BUDDY. THEY WILL THINK IT IS THE FUNNIEST THING YOU EVER HEARD.

This is very accurate except for the following:

1) You can go straight to the street with a 4-year degree, state certification, or prior experience (so you specifically won't be required to do the 2 years in the jail).

2) The only paid overtime is for court time or as detectives. Patrol Deputies flex the majority of their OT.

03-06-2008, 05:02 AM
[quote="TheOldCop"][quote="recentgrad"]
Try Lakeland PD, Winter Haven PD, Haines City PD, Lake Wales PD Bartow PD or Auburndale PD. They all have opportunities for you. Bigger is not necessarily better.

Why bother with these agencies, they are going under the Sheriff eventually! MetroPolk!