PDA

View Full Version : Remember to wave, remember to stop Brothers

JD Buck Savage
01-24-2008, 05:40 PM
Brothers and Sisters of the badge, would it kill us to be more united? Given, we will never control the bickering of battling administrations from sheriff’s offices to police departments and highway patrol and so on. But on the ground we only have each other. I have been a gun slinger since the nineties and I have noticed a serious decline in the brotherhood in Pinellas County. There was a time when every cop waived at every passing cop, fireman, and paramedic. It’s a small thing. It’s really not that big of a deal. But it’s a big respect and fellowship thing. That wave shows that you’re saying, “hey brother, be safe and have a good one.” For who else will stop to back a cop up when the line has been crossed by some bad guy but us? The lack of that wave has seemed to diminish into the lack of stopping for fellow officers of other agencies. It does not hurt to stop when you see a lone officer on a traffic stop or out with a subject. Most of the time that officer will wave, give you a thumbs up, and say, “I’m 10-4” and you’re on your way. I’d hate to think that petty jurisdictional squabbles have turned too many of us into over-loyal- to-the-agency cops who won’t wave at other cops and not stop to check on a brother. And don’t let the very few ****y cops that exist in every agency ruin it for the rest of us. We have the deck stacked against us as it is. We are a favorite target of the media, attorneys and mad left wing citizen groups. I hate to say it, but don’t ever expect a citizen to come to your aid. I, on the other hand, will take a bullet for any one of you modern day gladiators who protect our streets, our families, and our way of life. So please wave, please stop, and please go home safe every night.

01-25-2008, 12:45 AM
Well said. I recently made a traffic stop right where a deputy was sitting yesterday. I don't know what he was doing. Talking on the phone, using the MDC, who knows. But this fine gentlemen let me make the stop with a car full of people literally 20 feet in front of him and just rode off into the susnet. Not a look. Not a wave or nod, just rode off. I actually never saw him leave. When I looked back he just vanished into thin air.

I guess after all of the years of deputies, troopers, hell...even other counties like HCSO and TPD stop and wait for a thumbs up...one shouldn't be a big deal. Right?

I think it is. Rest assured whoever the deputy was that was too busy or too good to make eye contact or get a thumbs up I will never pass by your flashing lights without making sure you are ok. Never.

01-25-2008, 05:16 PM
i've done the same thing when dep near and I get a call, did u need a back up? then call 4 1

01-26-2008, 05:40 PM
Not the point. Would explain it to you, but I am sure it would do no good.