PDA

View Full Version : mandatory 10-18 response

01-23-2008, 11:59 PM
what mental dwarf came up with the new rule that deputies will respond 10-18 to all priority 1 and some priority 2 calls? this includes alarms, 911 hang ups, alleged attempted suicides, etc. better order a whole shipment of new patrol cars because this is going to cause nothing but alot of unnecessary crashes. well over 90% of all alarms are false. if it is an actual burglary, i'm sure the suspect will just love the advanced notice that a screaming siren brings. give me a break. and 911 hang ups, let me drive like h@ll to get to an empty lot at some mobile home park or to get to some trailer with a bunch of runny nose brats playing with the phone while their degenerate parents are asleep in the bedroom. you know what i'm talking about. i could go on and on. more stupidity from the powers that be. i'm sure a bunch of you rookies that sport wood everytime you get to turn on your blue lights love this policy and will blast this post. my response to you...get over yourselves. you're not that important. 10-18 response should be the discretion of the responding deputy an noone else. look out innocent motorists.

01-24-2008, 12:53 AM
That would be 99.7% of alarms are false...10-18...OMG especially in the Davenport area where management companies do not give out codes to renters or to the house keeping people!!! It's a freaking nightmare over there :roll:

01-24-2008, 01:10 AM
Where did this info come from? First I have heard of it. I agree, it is absolutely ridiculous. I rarely run 10-18, just not very many calls that I feel require it.

01-25-2008, 07:55 PM
This all came aout because a significant campaign supporter call Corky to complain because it took 20 minutes for a deputy to get to his alarm (which by the way was one of the 99.7% of false alarms. Of course being the politically motivated individual he is, we must respond to all alarms 10-18. Oh yeah, lets not forget we need to punish the deputy who had to travel across 2 sectors to get to this false alarm!

Everyone needs to read the G.O. Communications is making alarms a priority 1 call when by definition they are not. Priority 1 calls only involve potential life threatening calls....the only life threatening part of an alarm is to the deputy and other motorists if we have to run 10-18.

I've heard of several deputies now being written up for not running 10-18 to what staff thinks they should have! The decision to run 10-18 needs to rest with the deputy...its his or her a$$ in the seat of that car.

01-26-2008, 01:03 AM
give me a break. first this is not new by any means. its been in the general orders for a long time, its just now being enforced.

as to the guest who said priority one calls are for life threatening only, you need to recheck the g\o for persons and property.(its in 41.2)

Code 1 calls are emergency calls where there is a high probability of death or serious injury.
Emergency calls are characterized by a need for an immediate law enforcement response to ensure the
safety of persons and property, or when prompt arrival of a deputy is necessary for criminal apprehension.
The dispatch of Code 1 calls shall be preceded by a tone alert.

if you are afraid to drive 1018,hang up your badge. 1018 means getting there faster, not recklessly. don't kill yourself getting to a s90,but get there faster than you would a past occ'd s21. the only thing worth going balls to the wall for is a deputy screaming for help. other than that,don't outdrive your abilities.

on the very rare occasion that a s54 is legit, your k9 handler sure would like his track to be 5-10 minutes younger,or hopefully catch the guy inside on a building search.

if i call 911, i want the cops fast. i don't want them sitting in 5pm traffic while i'm in trouble or my dad's dying of a heart attack.

01-26-2008, 05:43 AM
give me a break. first this is not new by any means. its been in the general orders for a long time, its just now being enforced.

as to the guest who said priority one calls are for life threatening only, you need to recheck the g\o for persons and property.(its in 41.2)

Code 1 calls are emergency calls where there is a high probability of death or serious injury.
Emergency calls are characterized by a need for an immediate law enforcement response to ensure the
safety of persons and property, or when prompt arrival of a deputy is necessary for criminal apprehension.
The dispatch of Code 1 calls shall be preceded by a tone alert.

if you are afraid to drive 1018,hang up your badge. 1018 means getting there faster, not recklessly. don't kill yourself getting to a s90,but get there faster than you would a past occ'd s21. the only thing worth going balls to the wall for is a deputy screaming for help. other than that,don't outdrive your abilities.

on the very rare occasion that a s54 is legit, your k9 handler sure would like his track to be 5-10 minutes younger,or hopefully catch the guy inside on a building search.

if i call 911, i want the cops fast. i don't want them sitting in 5pm traffic while i'm in trouble or my dad's dying of a heart attack.

So in your post you admit that we are to go 1018 to s54's even though they are only legit on "very rare occasions"...Most cops die in traffic crashes. My problem is a call taker in a nice little air conditioned room in Bartow determines who goes 1018...and not the deputy or the line supervisor.

01-26-2008, 12:00 PM
I have a BIG problem with this as well. Why should some kid just out of high school in Bartow answering phones who has NEVER been a LEO or worked the road be able to dictate to me if I run 10-18 or not??? That's insanity! Our department crashes are going to sky rocket with this rediculous mentality. The other week I was ordered to run 10-18 to a BS alarm IN THICK FOG just days after that massive pile up on I-4!

I tell you what ... I may say it on the radio because I have to ... but I haven't been driving 10-18 to ANYTHING that I dont feel warrants it.

Like an above poster said: It's MY butt in the seat of the car and if something goes wrong it's MY butt that is accountable!

I cannot wait until some rookie deputy going 10-18 to some silly false alarm takes out a family at an intersection WHEN OUR OWN FALSE ALARM PAMPHLET SAYS THAT 98% of them are FALSE! Man, if THAT'S not fodder for some attorney in a civil suit against the sheriff.

Then you'll see this mentality change real quick ... again!

01-27-2008, 05:49 AM
why are you so worked up over this. if you think the call shouldn't be priority 1, ask the 1037 why it is. they frequently recalss things once they read teh narrative in the screen.

the call taker only decides what priority the call is listed as,not how reckless you are behind the wheel. the above post said don't kill yourself getting there. don't kill anyone else either. its still your job to drive safely and clear intersections before you enter them.

we still have our job to do. i think its best to get there fast. most s54's are false but most s90's aren't. if the s22 calms down,they can drop its priority based on that.

02-01-2008, 11:39 PM
Does your G.O. mandate that you drive as fast as the car will go during 10-18 runs? If not, my suggestion would be to turn the lights and sirens on, drive as prudently as conditions dictate, and enjoy the fact that your administration members are actually assuming you are trained, professional adults, unlike some other agencies. Sounds like your administration does not have a testicle lock box.

02-02-2008, 04:28 PM
I agree with the humble guest. Do what the policy says. It DOES NOT say that 10-18 means 20 or 30 mph above the speed limit in heavy traffic. I enjoy a nice reasonable 10-18 that simply gets people aout of my way and helps me avoid sitting at red lights or stop signs for a long time. I think that the agency is also concerned about response times. This policy might speed things up 1-2 minutes if everyone is reasonable with their driving, but those are BIG numbers agency wide if you are an administrator or comissioner looking at a stats of our response times.

Use your judgement, be careful. But do enjoy that we get to use the tools given and the admin. trusts us to do so appropriately. Many agencies would take the stand that deputies are too stupid to handle themselves or be trusted and should not even be given the option.

I once worked for an agency that rarely let us go 10-18 to anything. They didnt trust the deputies. If you did, you called it over the radio and the SGT would cancel you. Most times they did so not worried about the type of call, but just for liability. We never went 10-18, and in the few cases each year you did, you had no experience doing so.

Well someone was rolling on a routine backup call at about 10-15 mph over the speed limit on a county road. Like the rest of us might do, he was hustling to be there for his partner, but he was not able to use any warning equipment. He had a crash. He T-boned another car that pulled out in front of him and killed 2. The lawyers maintained he was speeding and breaking the law. But think about it, how do we drive everyday? Anyway, He was not using lights and/or siren and the courts hung the agency, big judgement. Lawyers tried to go after the deputy as well. All worked out for the deputy but only after 2+ years of stress and lawyers.

We just have to be careful- Like everything else we do. And if your going to get in a jam, let it be for doing the right thing according to policy.

02-02-2008, 04:50 PM
Perhaps this is a 'we cant see the forest because of the trees scenario'. Since when does the public, rather than bra$$, dictate how we do business? Ohhhh yea, its called $$, from a political donor.

pyley0824
02-16-2008, 10:59 AM
For all of you that think the complaint taker in there nice little air conditioned room, which by the way probably has mold and keeps us all sick, is the one deciding whether or not you go 1018 is completely wrong!!!! you know we have higher up's that we have to follow what they say as well and when they tell you that you are to put certain calls priority 1, trust me you better do it or you will loose your job. so just remember we are all in the same boat, patrol and comm ctr, we have rules we have to follow just like you guys do. we dont always agree with what they say but if we want a paycheck, we do it. end of story.