PDA

View Full Version : 911 call may have slipped through cracks

01-23-2008, 12:05 PM
911 call may have slipped through cracks
By JOHN DAVIS and ZAC ANDERSON

john.davis@heraldtribune.com
zac.anderson@heraldtribune.com

NORTH PORT -- A witness called 911 and said she saw a woman banging on the window of a Camaro and screaming for help as the car made its way down U.S. 41 Thursday night, but the information apparently never got to officers searching for Denise Amber Lee.

Janet Kowalski gave authorities an exact location for the car as it pulled up beside her at 41 and Cranberry Boulevard at 6:30 p.m. She stayed on the phone for several minutes as she drove south on 41, updating authorities on the car's location.

Kowalski's 911 call might have given police their best chance to save Lee, 21, whose body was found Saturday.

When the call came in, dozens of officers were scouring the area looking for her, or for the suspect's green Camaro. The search included officers in patrol cars, some on foot with police dogs and a helicopter with heat sensors that allow authorities to detect someone in the dark.

Yet apparently none of the officers in the area at the time knew that Kowalski had seen a woman, alive and struggling, in a Camaro.

Kowalski told the 911 operator that she saw the driver repeatedly push a woman down in the back seat of his car, and the woman slapped the passenger-side window as if trying to get out. Kowalski also said she heard the woman screaming "like she never heard before," according to documents released Tuesday.

Authorities had been looking for Michael King and his green Camaro, which had a black grill protector, since shortly after Lee, 21, was reported missing at 3:20 p.m. An alert on the car went out at 5 p.m., and authorities stepped up their search after receiving two 911 calls reporting that King had abducted Lee. On one of those calls Lee could be heard begging her abductor for her life.

Lee's body was found buried in a shallow grave Saturday. King, 36, has been charged with her murder. Authorities say they also have evidence that King sexually assaulted Lee.

Kowalski later identified King to North Port police. He was driving on U.S. 41, the main north-south road in the area, and the location where Kowalski said she spotted him is only about three miles from the North Port police station.

What happened to Kowalski's call remains unclear. At least two other 911 calls -- one by a relative of King's who said King had borrowed a gas can and shovel and was spotted pushing a tied up Lee into his car, and a second in which Lee begged for her life -- were handled by Sarasota County dispatchers and immediately passed on to searchers.

But because Kowalski called 911 from just inside the Charlotte County line on Cranberry Boulevard, her call was handled by the Charlotte County 911 center. For some reason, the call was not patched through to the North Port police, who were directing the search for Lee.

"They handled the call from beginning to end," said North Port Police Capt. Robert Estrada.

Charlotte Sheriff John Davenport said Tuesday that dispatchers should have known of the alert on the Camaro and should have immediately relayed any information they received to North Port police.

He also acknowledged that a breakdown in communication would be a serious police failure, but would not say when information from the Kowalski call was relayed to North Port Police.

"There will be comments made," Davenport said. "We will be looking into all of this, and things will come out. But this is all speculation right now. I know some of the information is wrong."

The State Attorney's Office has refused to release copies of any 911 call connected to the Lee case.

Kowalski called 911 as the car pulled up beside her as she stopped at the light at Cranberry Boulevard and U.S. 41. The car then pulled in behind Kowalski as she drove south on U.S. 41, she told the dispatcher. As Kowalski drove she reeled off the names of the streets she passed on the largely undeveloped stretch of U.S. 41. After about three miles the two cars got to Toledo Blade Boulevard, and the Camaro quickly made a left turn onto Toledo Blade, she told authorities.

King was arrested about three hours later on that same road, his pants by that time soaking wet and covered in mud. Lee was nowhere to be found.

As Kowalski watched Lee fight for her life, searchers were looking for her near Tropicare Boulevard and others were heading to Karluk Street, where King had stopped to borrow a shovel, gas can and flashlight from his cousin, Harold Muxlow.

North Port Police Chief Terry Lewis declined to answer questions regarding the handling of the Kowalski call.

01-23-2008, 12:29 PM
How many different boards are you going to post this on? If you are really "sad and upset" as opposed to "gossip 'ho" then you will let the TRUTH (whatever it may be) come to light before throwing this out there. You know that the victim is from an LE family and that him/his friends may be on this forum - could you not add fuel to the fire by 'reporting' things that have not even been fully investigated yet? Its bad enough that the press is printing inaccuracies.

01-23-2008, 02:29 PM
First, I have only made postings here using Northporter. You are pretty shallow to think that only 1 person may be upset or want to question our department on this. if you don't believe me, i really could give a shi*, because you administrative attitude here is part of the problem with this department. "EVERYTHINGS HAPPY IN FANTASYLAND" right? Yea, no once should report and hear anything until the weasels have a chance to "investigate" it.

and don't spill you bs about the dad being a cop because no one knows that better then me. I feel and pray for him and the entire family. and if it were me, i'd be friggin pissed right about now. so maybe the questioning and public scrutiny and press (along with changes in admin personnel) will prevent tragedies like this in the future.

01-23-2008, 04:40 PM
Someone has anger management issues, huh?

OF COURSE others will be interested - but we have no room to bash the press for irresponsible reporting when we're promoting it ourselves on an (ha!) LE site.

01-23-2008, 05:30 PM
sounds a lot like Ghost..
Just sayin....

01-23-2008, 07:49 PM
Get the drift blue boy, this thing is going to come out to be a bigger botched job then the Fullwood investigation.
Why is it that the media only seems to go after the North Port PD when a major case hits town?
How about because it has a crappy track record with such.
You try and hide everything from the media, the public and half the time from other departments.
Your so frick'en scared that someone other then the NPPD is going to solve something and grab the credit for it.

I am no ghost loser, but if you want to come after my a** for posting something you don't like, then go ahead and try.
The people of this town have had it with the bull that is constantly being dished out by this department.

01-23-2008, 08:12 PM
Sounds like you need to move. But wait! where ever a piece of trash like you goes, there will always be a problem and you wuill always have a reason to whine!!! Ask the family how they feel..that should shut you up!

01-23-2008, 08:26 PM
Sounds like you need to move. But wait! where ever a piece of trash like you goes, there will always be a problem and you wuill always have a reason to whine!!! Ask the family how they feel..that should shut you up!

Just the answer one should expect, when one has no real answers to offer.
Sounds like you should move out of the dumpster yourself.

01-23-2008, 08:33 PM

You and the other low lifes that can not answer the questions that have been raised about this case, always throw the victim's family up as a shield when you can't come up with an answer.

You are the piece of pathetic trash loser.

01-23-2008, 09:38 PM
not worth arguing brothers and sisters in uniform. It's only gonna make us look bad.. let this person look bad instead. It's obviously the same person over and over and they are NOT law enforcement because they don't have a clue... I think everyone is better off ignoring this person, because a person that doesn't know the facts and is uneducated is ignorant, and there is no reason to have an argument with an ignorant person.
After this post I'm sure he will get in the last word because thats his/her style. No need to bow down to his level....

01-23-2008, 09:53 PM
not worth arguing brothers and sisters in uniform. It's only gonna make us look bad.. let this person look bad instead. It's obviously the same person over and over and they are NOT law enforcement because they don't have a clue... I think everyone is better off ignoring this person, because a person that doesn't know the facts and is uneducated is ignorant, and there is no reason to have an argument with an ignorant person.
After this post I'm sure he will get in the last word because thats his/her style. No need to bow down to his level....

Sorry, No Answer Guest #3 but you people are doing a fine job of being clueless and making this the department and the city look bad with out the help of others.
Your "I will end this thread post" is just another example of no direct answers to hard direct questions.
The people of North Port are sick and tired of the PD's tactic of, ignore them and they will go away.
Not this time or any other time from now on.
So get used to it.

01-23-2008, 11:04 PM

Your "I will end this thread post" is just another example of no direct answers to hard direct questions.

The post is refered to as "The Voice of God" post. It's used mostly to end a discussion by a poster who's point of view is being discredited or is losing a debate.
You find that kind of post on a lot of the political boards.