PDA

View Full Version : Comms Operator position

01-15-2008, 10:54 PM
Is there alot of overtime available for this position?
how many operators do you have? What are shifts?
Any pay raise expected for operators? I see they only make 24k.
Do they get raises for training they complete, i.e. NCIC/FCIC, radio, EMD etc. extra pay?
And has any comms operator ever been hired for patrol?
Do they have wifi internet for them to use their personal computers while they arent on calls. Are they aloud to do hw, or read books while there is nothing going on.
Just so you know I know SCSO, CCSO, let there comms operators use personal comps, read books, do hw, etc. So thats why I ask if you have the same freedoms. thanks.
Any more info you can give please do, the position is for my wife.
Serious replies please. As much info as you can give the better.

01-16-2008, 03:52 AM
I've cut and pasted your questions so its easier to respond:

Is there alot of overtime available for this position? - Certain events for Sundome events/football games/ and other events allow for Dispatcher OT.

how many operators do you have? What are shifts? - 4 and 1 supervisor shifts vary

Any pay raise expected for operators? I see they only make 24k.- Currently the Union that covers all USF staff employees are in impass right now. USF is claiming poverty .....but thats another L O N G story

Do they get raises for training they complete, i.e. NCIC/FCIC, radio, EMD etc. extra pay? - Not that I'm aware of.

And has any comms operator ever been hired for patrol? Yes

Do they have wifi internet for them to use their personal computers while they arent on calls. Are they aloud to do hw, or read books while there is nothing going on. Just so you know I know SCSO, CCSO, let there comms operators use personal comps, read books, do hw, etc. So thats why I ask if you have the same freedoms. thanks. - I'm not sure

Any more info you can give please do, the position is for my wife.
Serious replies please. As much info as you can give the better

01-30-2008, 03:06 PM
Did the Comms operators get an increase in salary with the new contract you all signed?

01-30-2008, 04:46 PM
Did the Comms operators get an increase in salary with the new contract you all signed?
The communications operators did not get an increase as they are not part of the bargaining unit.

01-30-2008, 09:43 PM
Someone throw me a float, the ship is sinking!!

If you are intersted in working as a dispatcher here, the work is great and the people are amazing...BUT.............

I'm going to leave this chat before I get suspended...

01-31-2008, 02:38 AM
Usf dispatcher job is a student part time job. Why would you expecpt to make any decent money there? I went through the Emergency Telecommunicator Training course and more, and I wouldnt waste my time working there. I work at TPD and make a decent wage. We could use more qualified dispatchers.

01-31-2008, 04:06 AM
On top of the low pay, they will not work with your schedule in no way!

01-31-2008, 04:15 AM
Usf dispatcher job is a student part time job. Why would you expecpt to make any decent money there? I went through the Emergency Telecommunicator Training course and more, and I wouldnt waste my time working there. I work at TPD and make a decent wage. We could use more qualified dispatchers.

Our dispatchers are full time employees and not students. They do a great job for really S hit pay.

01-31-2008, 04:40 AM
I didn't mean they don't do a good job. I am a full time dispatcher at TPD, I'm trying to get my nephew to apply there while he goes to school. I know you all don't pay much for dispatchers, but it would be a good part time job for a student?

01-31-2008, 01:34 PM
There are no part time jobs in dispatch. Just like at TPD, you are an empoyee first, student second. Now as far as the money, the brass already got their 2500 bonus months ago, officers soon to get theirs AND a raise. From what I hear, they "are working" on fixing the salary problem for dispatch, but after almost 2 years, I have all but give up any hope.

01-31-2008, 01:51 PM
There are no part time jobs in dispatch. Just like at TPD, you are an empoyee first, student second. Now as far as the money, the brass already got their 2500 bonus months ago, officers soon to get theirs AND a raise. From what I hear, they "are working" on fixing the salary problem for dispatch, but after almost 2 years, I have all but give up any hope.

how many dispatchers are you short at usf? I dont know how they do it on 24k. They need to make at least 28k or higher!! Do they get diff. to work at night?

01-31-2008, 08:14 PM
how many dispatchers are you short at usf? I dont know how they do it on 24k. They need to make at least 28k or higher!! Do they get diff. to work at night?

We have 4 full time, and 1 in training for a 24/7 operaton. Up untill the new hire last week, they have been running the center with 4 people. The center was funded for a total of 8 plus a supervisor, but the last round of PBA contracts (3 years ago) took one of the 8 funded positions to fund a pay raise for us on the street.

No diff pay for working at night, no uniform pay, no pay raise.

02-01-2008, 11:31 PM
Why would you work there for 24k a year? Other surrounding agencies pay more, with better benefits. Wise up and check them out.

07-07-2008, 07:08 AM
I'm glad there is already a detailed post about this. How have things been in Tampa and St. Petersburg since the last reply?

I'm planning to relocate and take some courses at USF in Tampa and I already work in Communications at another Florida college/university. I will be submitting applications to both Tampa and St. Petersburg campuses in the hopes of "transferring" to one of those locations, so wish me luck or laugh at me now! :lol:

Take care, everyone! :D

07-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Better hurry while we still have openings!

07-09-2008, 01:24 PM
Better hurry while we still have openings!

Applications sent! :D