PDA

View Full Version : STOP!!!!!!!!! LET'S THINK!!!!!!!

01-13-2008, 04:48 PM
Something just dawned on me and I would like to use this forum for a very important issue. I know that for the last few months we have been lashing at each others throats placing blame on our current leader. Although in my humble personal opinion Mr. President does have his faults, I think it is very important for us to identify who will be the best person to take over the reigns. We have a little over 10 months to decide. First and foremost there have been rumors circulating that two present E-Board members are interested in the position. Although I happen to like both AB and BS (Ex-K9) on a personal level, I have my concerns on each of them. Maybe, just maybe we can have a non-confrontational discussion on this very resourceful forum in an effort to identify who would be the best person to lead the Union in this upcoming contract negotiation term. I would like some educated thoughts to be exprssed so that the membership can be informed. Thoughts???????????????????????

01-13-2008, 07:49 PM
No one will be 100% happy with a Union President who can not make 393 member's happy and never will.

01-13-2008, 08:36 PM
AB all the way new blood

01-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Bewildered brings up a very interesting topic. Who will our next leader be??? I would like to float an idea out there. There is a current E-board member and long-time active union participant who I think would make a great President. RS (Motorman). He has the experience and has proven to be a dedicated and thoughtful union leader. Has anyone heard whether he has intentions to run for higher office? He is in the right point of his career where he is not a new guy but he is still far from being in his last few years here so he would do well in representing both camps. He has been on the e-board during the last few terms and has inside knowledge of current union issues. I think he has the qualities of a good leader and I am hoping he will run. Any thoughts???

01-15-2008, 02:01 PM
quote="Anonymous"]No one will be 100% happy with a Union President who can not make 393 member's happy and never will.[/quote]

I don't think anyone in their right mind expects 100%. BJ has done a great disservice to the FOP. Look at the pattern and you will see. It's a shame that it has gotten that way, but when someone goes unchallenged by the EB (the checks and balances) this is what occurs.

Ask yourselves an honest question. What has changed at the PD? Why is no one bringing up any issues? Because BJ is CN's protector. He protects CN and CN will take care of BJ and BR.

You can bet your tail that BJ is looking for a closet/Civilian job here after he retires. Although it may take a Sworn position from us, it will also go unchallenged.

The only one that has stood up so far has been BS. His only weakness is the few years he has left and what his motivation really is.

AB is an honest Guy with great intentions. The issue with AB is lack of Political saviness and he has not let us know what he intends to do as President.

AB is looking like the better choice so far.

01-16-2008, 04:52 AM
I believe AB has the political saviness. Anyone that worked the Election Polls with him can attest to that. Despite the fact that the FOP endorsed the wrong candidates, we made out a lot better than the fire dept. You have to understand if the EB new everything that was going on then it would be fine, unfortunately the back door deals are what messes everything up.

01-16-2008, 02:40 PM
I see a lot of public support for AB but has anyone told BS this? He goes around as if he is the definate shoe in for the next elections. This guy is a pain in the ass that all he cares about is hearing himself talk and trying to prove to you how smart he is. Somebody needs to give him a wake up call.

01-17-2008, 01:31 AM
I have the campaign slogan “ If you want more BS vote for BS”. God Help Us.

01-17-2008, 04:38 AM
If BS and AB read LEO. I have a couple of questions on where you stand on current issues at MBPD. I hope you respond.

1) How do you feel about the Overlap? Do you consider it a quota?

2) Will you fight for Goatees and neatly trimmed beards.

3) Workout program. Are you for it or against it?

4) Technology, or lack of it, at the MBPD. What will you do to address it?

5) Do you want the FOP to continue to endorse Candidates?

6) The current selection process. There currently is no ranking. A list of "qualified" individuals are given to the Division Commander and he/she makes the choice. Do you think this is fair?

7) Hiring a professional to conduct negotiations with the City. Are you for it or against it?

8) Will you talk trash and spread rumors about Members behind their back like BJ currently does?

9) Will you support BJ staying on as a Civilian and taking a Sworn position from us?

10) What's your feeling on a Civilian Commander currently occupying a Major/Division Commander Position?

11) SEVRT. Are you for it being voluntary or mandatory on all Holiday weekends?

12) Minimum Staffing. Are you for it or against it? Should the 8-6-6 continue or be increased?

13) Double Time. Should it be paid for any forced overtime or like it currently is being done? You are forced to come on Memorial Day.

14) Are you going to allow BJ to stay as FOP President after he retires and allow him to end his current term.

15) Are you going to run everything by the Executive Board or are you going to do what BJ currently does which is make all the decisions by himself?

16) Are you going to work in Patrol or be detached?

Thanks.

01-17-2008, 09:19 PM
AB was the first to get on here when he saw anyone talking bad about the NRO closet scam. Where is he now that there are questions to address?

01-18-2008, 12:45 AM
u want the fop to fight for facial hair? now ive seen it all. ur an imbecile. just lose a couple pounds,,,get rid of the double chin so u wont have to create an imaginary jaw line hence....the goatee

01-18-2008, 12:58 AM
u want the fop to fight for facial hair? now ive seen it all. ur an imbecile. just lose a couple pounds,,,get rid of the double chin so u wont have to create an imaginary jaw line hence....the goatee

Your Wife has no issue with my weight AH.

01-18-2008, 04:33 AM
1) How do you feel about the Overlap? Do you consider it a quota?
I believe that there are other ways to encourage officers to be proactive. For example allowing a Sgt to meet his squad out in the field without anyone complaining about congregating and doing traffic in a location without requiring numbers.

2) Will you fight for Goatees and neatly trimmed beards?
I am one that likes to sport a goatee on the weekends, so I would be for it. I am also very image conscious and believe that limits would need to be set. Many of us who are going bald find that sporting a goatee offsets the baldness. If it were the memberships desire to obtain that benefit then I would be there to fight for it.

3) Workout program. Are you for it or against it?
I am for it. I am not sure what happen with the proposal from the training unit but I would definitely like to see a program in place. I think this is an issue that DD did not want to deal with and therefore never went anywhere.

4) Technology, or lack of it, at the MBPD. What will you do to address it?
I believe under CN we will see technology take a new direction, especially with regards to officer safety. What ever I am able to do you can be certain that I will be there trying.

5) Do you want the FOP to continue to endorse Candidates?
Endorsing and campaigning are two different things. After I had the experience of being the Chairman of the PAC, I have had a change in philosophy. I believe we should endorse only and not get involved in campaigning or standing in street corners waving banners. We are the POLICE and there were many times that we were called out to settle disputes between candidates. Therefore we should not be seen campaigning for anyone.

6) The current selection process. There currently is no ranking. A list of "qualified" individuals are given to the Division Commander and he/she makes the choice. Do you think this is fair?
This policy/SOP was changed under DD. I have not done the research yet but I would be interested in seeing how it was before DD. This is definitely something we need to look at.

7) Hiring a professional to conduct negotiations with the City. Are you for it or against it?
I am not opposed to hiring a professional and in fact I think for the next contract negotiations we may/should do that (depends on the tax reform).

8)Will you talk trash and spread rumors about Members behind their back like BJ currently does?
Many of you know how I am, anything said in confidence and of sensitive nature never leave my mouth.

9) Will you support BJ staying on as a Civilian and taking a Sworn position from us?
In speaking to him, I do not believe those are his intentions. I have gone on record to fight for specialized positions for active officers. There are a lot of officers that want to do more than just handle calls and these positions offer them a choice.

10) What's your feeling on a Civilian Commander currently occupying a Major/Division Commander Position?
It is my understanding this is temporary.

11) SEVRT. Are you for it being voluntary or mandatory on all Holiday weekends?
It is my understanding that you are told what is expected of you when you sign up. There are allowances for a person who is not able to work on a certain hoilday, but it should be mandatory. In the event the holiday does not result in the need for the extra personnel, than the option to stay or leave should be given.

12) Minimum Staffing. Are you for it or against it? Should the 8-6-6 continue or be increased?
It was my understanding that the fourth shift was the solve all for this issue. If there still continues to be problem than perhaps the department should consider eliminating the fourth shift and increasing the minimum staffing numbers.

13) Double Time. Should it be paid for any forced overtime or like it currently is being done? You are forced to come on Memorial Day.
When I proposed the double time pay to DD I also asked that Memorial Day be include and that an extra day be given for each day you came in on your days off. Unfortunately DD did not agree to it all and has since been included in the contract with the loopholes. This is now something we would need to address during contract negotiations.

14) Are you going to allow BJ to stay as FOP President after he retires and allow him to end his current term?
I am only one vote and this will be addressed by the membership and a vote.

15) Are you going to run everything by the Executive Board or are you going to do what BJ currently does which is make all the decisions by himself?
My current position as Secretary has not been easy, I have always taken notes and recorded everything in minutes so that it will be available to everyone. As President, I plan on being as transparent as possible. I have to many years left to have hidden agendas.

16) Are you going to work in Patrol or be detached?
I can tell you that the position of President is not easy, but I would like to ride on every shift as much as possible to make sure that I understand what is going on at all levels.
[/code]

AB

01-18-2008, 02:53 PM
Great post, AB you have my vote.

01-18-2008, 05:37 PM
Thanks for replying AB. You seem to have a few misunderstandings.

3) Isn't the Training LT the same one that runs SEVRT. That explains the delay.

4) CN was the Administrative Chief for a while and now is the Chief. That’s about 3 years total to work on it. I hope he expedites before he retires.

6) This was an agreement between DD and BJ. Did you guys (EB) even know this? :evil:

9) You did not answer the question. Are you for it or against it. Look at all the Sworn positions we have lost since he became the President. What are BJ's intentions. Wait! Let me sit down for his response.

10) Temporary? How can the FOP allow a Civilian to supervise Sworn? Please explain. Are you going to allow him to wear his uniform too?

12) How can the 4th shift help with keeping us from being forced every freaking week?

14) WEAK! Get off the fence. As a President you have to take a position.

15) I am not talking about FOP Meetings. The day to day agreements that BJ has with whoever is the Chief.

01-18-2008, 07:50 PM
need to be a member

01-18-2008, 08:51 PM
Where's BS?

01-19-2008, 02:26 AM
I think AB did a great job at responding. BH if you did not like his responses go ahead and vote for someone else. Oh thats right you can't you are not a member. Weren't you the one that was going around saying that you did not have to take another test. So now that the roles are reversed you want a "political" figure to take a stance. BH just enjoy patrol because you are going to be there for a LONGGGGGG TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

01-19-2008, 02:40 AM
I also like AB. As far as BH goes, you should step from around your cyber security wall and approach him instead of throwing stones with no name. Let us know, cuz I know there is going to be fireworks.

01-19-2008, 02:43 AM
I hope AB gets it. I want that NRO spot.

01-25-2008, 01:18 AM
AB. Are you OK with BJ staying as FOP President after retirement or not?

You tiptoeing around the question SCARES me. Is this how you plan to be a President?

01-25-2008, 09:48 PM
AB. Where are you?

01-26-2008, 12:52 AM
AB. Where are you?

He's on the dump detail.

01-26-2008, 05:48 AM
who are the forerunners that are hinting of wanting the FOP president position?

01-26-2008, 01:33 PM
Chambers is going to run

01-26-2008, 06:19 PM
awesome!!
imagine what the food for the monthly meetings would be???
got my vote!

01-26-2008, 08:30 PM
he could also provide the entertainment :lol:

01-27-2008, 05:38 AM
It's between BS and AB. if we can mix the two we would be ok. BS's balls with AB's admin skills.

01-29-2008, 05:59 PM
AB. Where are you????????????????????????????

BS. Where are you????????????????????????????

01-29-2008, 06:20 PM
I don't blame them for getting on here. No matter what they say, some chickenshit will come on here and slam them for it. Try the old approach...if you are that interested in their opinion on certain issues...go talk to them.

They btoh bring to the table some great qualities, and the fact that they want to take on such a thankless job is very respectable.

01-30-2008, 05:58 AM
I think AB would be fair but I am concerned about his taking on the Administration. I am sure that CN will try to reel him in ASAP.

AB should have never answered the questions because he showed that he is a little "soft". The answer to if he agrees to BJ stating as the President after retirement underscores this.

As a FOP President candidate, you have to let the Membership know where you stand and not be concerned if you upset BJ.

01-31-2008, 04:09 AM
Let me put your concerns to rest. If elected President, I will represent the membership and ensure member’s rights are not violated. My intention is to have a BUSINESS relationship with Administration and to conduct myself in a Professional and Diplomatic manner as I have done in my current position. I am sure that there will be times were a tough stance my have to be taken. I have had the opportunity to be on the Contract Negotiations Team for the last three contracts and I can tell you that I personally have had to take a tough stance on several issues. Another example was when I was transferred back to Patrol by DD because I was carry out the will of the membership by printing the full page ad/letter in the Herald after the controversial promotions. If there is any doubt please see any of the board members to verify this information.

It is clear that you personally have a bone to pick with BJ and are attempting to involve other people in your fight. It is not my decision whether BJ stays on or not. According to our By-Laws & Constitution there is no mandate that would force him to leave the board. Please see www.mbfop.com (http://www.mbfop.com) for the By-Laws & Constitution.

As far as being concerned about upsetting BJ, I am sure BJ can attest to the fact that we do not always see eye-to-eye on all the issues, but what you can be certain of is that I do not talk behind peoples back and if I disagree on something I will tell you to your face.

01-31-2008, 04:34 AM
AB.

No one is fighting anyone. It is a simple question. Are you for BJ staying as a FOP president or not. If you don't agree with it just say so. You need to stop being afraid of BJ. Perhaps some Judo classes while you do your Dump Detail or Jujitsu while you do your Homeless Roundups.

As far as being transferred to Patrol by DD, that is a lie. You and the other useless NRO's were asked to answer calls like the rest of us. The letter you are talking about was written by the entire EB not just you and it was written after you were ordered to help out your fellow Patrolmen. You should do your research before you get on here and make your self look foolish.

So thanks for showing your true BALLESS colors. Better now than later.

01-31-2008, 04:44 PM
So thanks for showing your true BALLESS colors. Better now than later.

Hey BALLESS, thanks for your personal opinion. Thankfully, many of us don't share it. Let's see if you can understand a simple concept: Whether BJ stays or goes is for the membership to decide. That means that its our job to have a vote and decide. It's not up to one person to decide for the rest of us. Thankfully, AB understands this concept and has said that he would follow the will of the people in this matter. That is what a president is supposed to do - follow our will, not decide everything for us like little children.

Also, you should stop badmouthing your co-workers. This discussion is about politics, not about your personal feelings about someone else's job. You are very eager to call him out for not doing YOUR job for you, but I don't see you volunteering to do HIS job. You should walk in his shoes before you spew that rubbish.

01-31-2008, 10:49 PM
I honor AB for his commitment to the FOP and the Department. I am voting for him. But it is obvious that he does not want to piss BJ off. He took a stance on the other issues. Then when he was backed to a wall he claims "whatever direction membership wants". Read his initial response and you will see.

I think the point that Guest is trying to make is that if you are afraid of a guy that’s about to retire, imagine taking on a City Manager and Commission.

02-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I don't think it is about AB being afraid of BJ, I think it is a political move to answer that way. BJ has pull and will continue to have pull after retirement so AB would want him on his side.

02-01-2008, 01:04 PM
AB is a nice guy as stated in previous posts but that is it, a "nice guy".

BS as we know, can be arrogant and brash at times but he is a fighter and has put in his time here at MBPD without a free and easy ride.

He is a cops cop who I would go thru a door with (and have) any day of the week. He talks the talk and walks the walk and can back it up on the street as he has for many years. He has spent his entire career in patrol. On that fact alone he deserves a chance at FOP president, he knows where the skeletons are burried so to speak and has refined is personality since becoming involved in the FOP.

Last, if you had a Grievence who would you want fighting for you in the Chief's Office or at City Hall ? BS would not be worried about impressing management and has no interest in getting promoted.

AB still has a career to worry about, promotions to be had, and fear of pay back to deal with down the road. He still has some time to go to earn the position he wants as well as experience to learn from BS.
But AB is a "nice guy".

All I am saying, is think before you vote.

02-01-2008, 02:57 PM
What a good post, thanks.

It was done respectful and brought out some good points. Thanks.

02-01-2008, 08:23 PM
With the economy the way it is and the recently aprroved tax reform, we don't ne any "nice guy" to run the FOP. Just ask Silly Hall who they want to see when the most and them vote for the other guy.

02-02-2008, 01:15 AM
BS reminds me of Dennis Ward and the horrible contract we got from his administration. His mutliple personalities is probably going to be a problem. When you speak of grievances, its probably a good idea that you do some research. He only chooses the winning ones and the rest he turns you down. Ask LT. CL what he thinks of BS and the number they played on him to get D/C WR promoted.

02-02-2008, 02:12 PM
DW got the plan "B" people back up to regular pay, the DROP and the rule of 70. I don't know what your definition of "horrible" contract is, but that was a great contract for what is 3/4's of the Department today. He also was a stand up guy during a very difficult time with then City Manager Garcia-Pedrosa.

As far as the D/C Promotion. BJ and DD worked that out just like his RDA selection with no interview and all his Command Staff promotions with only a High School Diploma.

02-02-2008, 04:51 PM
Your forgetting the overtime cap conveniently and by the way the chairman of the grievance committee had to agree to the promotions.

02-02-2008, 05:24 PM
Your forgetting the overtime cap conveniently and by the way the chairman of the grievance committee had to agree to the promotions.

I think making 15% and a 90% pension (remember it was 80% for plan B Folk and still had 10% taken from our checks) was a great choice.

02-03-2008, 05:28 AM
DW had his issues but their are a lot of Plan "B" people that are grateful to him getting us back to where we should have been from the begining.

I'll take DW again over AB and BS any day.