PDA

View Full Version : Promotional boards...

01-10-2008, 11:06 PM
My personal... that's PERSONAL opinion is this for the next Sgt.'s board. I hope you upper echelon are looking or see it...May fix the issues form last time.

1) Must be a certified LEO currently employed by SPD

2) Off probation and have no open issues of discipline within the past year (this would take care of the new hires everyone was worried about last time)

3) Have 3 years with SPD as an LEO or 5 years as an LEO with another agency (remember #2)

4) Be a qualified, professional and willing to except the responsibilities associated with the job.

Your thoughts?

01-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Ok so what is the problem? Who doesn't meet "your" criteria?

01-12-2008, 10:50 AM
DISGRUNTLED.........

Thanks........

01-14-2008, 03:37 AM
Ok so what is the problem? Who doesn't meet "your" criteria?

No one. Very happy for all that were promoted. I just feel tehre should be a standard and we stick to that standard. My suggestion for all of you is not to look into these suggestions for a bad point.

It seems like everyone takes offense of feels its an attack on an individual... Its not. We have enough poeple in place now in our upper enchelon that we should be able to have a fair, standardized testing system.

It just so happens that my personal opinions and beliefs are that to be a productive (not to take away from anyone) supervisor in Law Enforcement you must have been a lew enforcement officer for at least three years. Persoanlly I feel that three is pushing it, more like five but three would be fair. That way you know the laws, policies and dynamics of the job.

Just a thoght, not an attack, some of you ust like to start things I feel...

01-14-2008, 01:20 PM
I can understand the logic behind your comments and suggestions, but lets take a look at reality here:

1) This agency has only recently grown to the numbers it is now at, it wasnt long ago that there were only a few officers at Seminole wearing grey's.

2) During the growing process, promotions have become inevitable. NOW, does that mean that the few that have been here over 5 years should automatically quailify for promotion?? In some places perhaps but I truly feel that this agency is only trying to promote those that will be best for the agency and fit its mission best.

People can earn real life skills in other places such as military or jails / prisons just as easily as on the road. (probably more in the jails or military than those that were here pre-Hard Rock). Before the Rock you would be hard pressed to tell anyone that this agency did very much real police work.

How about ya just sit back, work with the system in place and if you want to get promoted then just study your posterior off the next time it comes around and make yourself a better canidate. Remeber, they are looking for the "all around" qualifications, not just the good test takers!

01-16-2008, 12:06 AM
Guys, honestly with the turnover rate this dept. has, if you stick around long enough you will be promoted. As long as we dont have a retirement plan, and are pay is lagging behind many agencies now, only the retirees and the guys who cant go anywhere else will stay. I know for a fact that many officers have apps in other places. So dont sweat the promotions.

01-16-2008, 04:42 AM
I can understand the logic behind your comments and suggestions, but lets take a look at reality here:

1) This agency has only recently grown to the numbers it is now at, it wasnt long ago that there were only a few officers at Seminole wearing grey's.

2) During the growing process, promotions have become inevitable. NOW, does that mean that the few that have been here over 5 years should automatically quailify for promotion?? In some places perhaps but I truly feel that this agency is only trying to promote those that will be best for the agency and fit its mission best.

People can earn real life skills in other places such as military or jails / prisons just as easily as on the road. (probably more in the jails or military than those that were here pre-Hard Rock). Before the Rock you would be hard pressed to tell anyone that this agency did very much real police work.

How about ya just sit back, work with the system in place and if you want to get promoted then just study your posterior off the next time it comes around and make yourself a better canidate. Remeber, they are looking for the "all around" qualifications, not just the good test takers!

I'm sorry to have to burst that bubble... But 10 years in the jail still makes you know "JACK SQWAT" about the road... Just a fact,

And the military...come on man, in the military you follow NJP, NOT F.S.S., COMPLETELY different set of rules...

Unless you feel like yelling and screaming impresses people in handcuffs, which it doesn't...

The fact is that the only real experience you can truely get is FEILD experience. Not to take away form anyone. But to know the job well enough to lead troops, you have to have been there first. Just a fact. You might not like it becuase YOU dont fit that catagory, but that facts are there...

And just so you know. A few years here means about 1 year experience in my mind at a larger agency where you actually answer calls and not protect money drops, school buses, Josie Billie Way for people going over posted speeds by 10 mph and going 31 on trailers without tags going to the races... Just another fact...

Dont mena to stir the bee hive but you threw it in there...

01-16-2008, 05:21 PM

I'm sorry to have to burst that bubble... But 10 years in the jail still makes you know "JACK SQWAT" about the road... Just a fact,

And the military...come on man, in the military you follow NJP, NOT F.S.S., COMPLETELY different set of rules...

Unless you feel like yelling and screaming impresses people in handcuffs, which it doesn't...

The fact is that the only real experience you can truely get is FEILD experience. Not to take away form anyone. But to know the job well enough to lead troops, you have to have been there first. Just a fact. You might not like it becuase YOU dont fit that catagory, but that facts are there...

And just so you know. A few years here means about 1 year experience in my mind at a larger agency where you actually answer calls and not protect money drops, school buses, Josie Billie Way for people going over posted speeds by 10 mph and going 31 on trailers without tags going to the races... Just another fact...

OUCH, here is a tissue to wipe the tears. Sorry you didnt make the sgt cut, really :wink:
Hope all those folks you work with that have military and jail experience dont ever find out your real feelings about them...
I personally dont fit any of your categories but I certainly feel your pain man! Keep up the good work and if you ever get a chance... please teach some of the new guys some of your "seasoned" operational tactics. I am sure all your years at Seminole have made you a law enforcement guru.
Personally, I have some trailers with no tags to go look for so catch ya later!

01-21-2008, 01:29 AM

2) During the growing process, promotions have become inevitable. NOW, does that mean that the few that have been here over 5 years should automatically quailify for promotion?? In some places perhaps but I truly feel that this agency is only trying to promote those that will be best for the agency and fit its mission best. (No you mean who the agency prefers not who deserves it).

OUCH, here is a tissue to wipe the tears. Sorry you didnt make the sgt cut, really :wink:
Hope all those folks you work with that have military and jail experience dont ever find out your real feelings about them...
I personally dont fit any of your categories but I certainly feel your pain man! Keep up the good work and if you ever get a chance... please teach some of the new guys some of your "seasoned" operational tactics. I am sure all your years at Seminole have made you a law enforcement guru.

01-21-2008, 01:34 AM

2) During the growing process, promotions have become inevitable. NOW, does that mean that the few that have been here over 5 years should automatically quailify for promotion?? In some places perhaps but I truly feel that this agency is only trying to promote those that will be best for the agency and fit its mission best. (No you mean who the agency prefers not who deserves it).

Next time you might as well promote a rookie as a sgt. it's about the same as the one now. Really looks good for the agency.

01-21-2008, 01:36 AM

Next time you might as well promote a rookie as a sgt. it's about the same as the one now. Really looks good for the agency.

Yeah i wonder whats next.

01-21-2008, 08:21 AM
[quote=foresight]I can understand the logic behind your comments and suggestions, but lets take a look at reality here:

Yeah i wonder whats next.[/quote:2aobqp1b]

Quit *****ing. If it is so bad Miami Gardens is hiring.

BYE

01-21-2008, 05:23 PM
[quote=Anonymous][quote="foresight":19kf23fc]I can understand the logic behind your comments and suggestions, but lets take a look at reality here:

Yeah i wonder whats next.[/quote:19kf23fc]

Quit *****ing. If it is so bad Miami Gardens is hiring.

BYE[/quote:19kf23fc]

So go ! we are trying tp better the agency with suggestions... all you non promotables need to keep out of it...