PDA

View Full Version : 0 experience SA's

01-09-2008, 10:40 PM
What is with FDLE now hiring people with a 4 year degree, but no police experience? They are passing on great experienced cops with a 2 year or some college for people with degrees and experience in car sales! This makes no sense. I'd way rather work with a cop with experience than a book worm. Any of your decent Fed agents all had prior Law Enforcement. How are you going to have a SA with no prior LE experience work a major investigation? All we need is more SAT's and paf investigators, gimme break.

01-10-2008, 04:26 AM
I agree with most of what you stated, but disagree with the comment about the decent Fed agents only being the ones with prior leo experience. There are decent non-prior leo experienced agents too. I have worked with a number of them routinely.

No doubt, having prior street experience is beneficial and a great asset, but there might be a few potential agents that can do the job effectively and still gain some valuable experience while at FDLE and become good agents.

01-10-2008, 01:27 PM
That's all we're gonna get now that the local agencies are paying more for experienced officers to stay and even lure them away from the state agencies. Gotta do something about the pay if you want experience!! If not, just hold on for a lot of college boys and girls who have no life experience, much less police experience.

BOSMIA
01-10-2008, 05:33 PM
That's all we're gonna get now that the local agencies are paying more for experienced officers to stay and even lure them away from the state agencies. Gotta do something about the pay if you want experience!! If not, just hold on for a lot of college boys and girls who have no life experience, much less police experience.

From an outsider looking in this makes sense to me. Hopefully, the state does something for all you hard working state officers. Best of luck

01-14-2008, 09:50 PM
Its funny how every LEO comes down on college grads. If I am not mistaken a huge part of SA of Federal Agencies are college kids; just like a major part of LEO are just recently graduated High school kids. But I understand since this is a site of LEO because if it was any different it would a lost argument for all you LEO. There is no probability in bad judgement....

01-16-2008, 05:25 PM
Does anyone know if the 4 yr degree issue is going to change in the future? I'm retiring this year (27 yrs) and would like to start a 2nd career. My only choice is FDLE, but I dont have a 4 yr degree. I also heard that the commish does not want retired LEO's. Any truth to that? thanks in advance.

01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
Does anyone know if the 4 yr degree issue is going to change in the future? I'm retiring this year (27 yrs) and would like to start a 2nd career. My only choice is FDLE, but I dont have a 4 yr degree. I also heard that the commish does not want retired LEO's. Any truth to that? thanks in advance.

If you have the experience in LE then you don't need the degree.

01-16-2008, 09:16 PM
Thats wrong, you are not even considered if you dont have a degree, forget how many yrs of experience you have !!!!!!!! verify before you put out wrong info.

01-16-2008, 09:34 PM
Thats wrong, you are not even considered if you dont have a degree, forget how many yrs of experience you have !!!!!!!! verify before you put out wrong info.

You verify before putting out wrong info

SPECIAL AGENT JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSITIONS ARE LOCATED STATEWIDE/DEPARTMENTWIDE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Four (4) years of sworn law enforcement experience; or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in criminology/criminal justice, accounting, finance, computer science or related fields.

01-16-2008, 09:35 PM
You verify before putting out wrong info

SPECIAL AGENT JOB OPPORTUNITY
POSITIONS ARE LOCATED STATEWIDE/DEPARTMENTWIDE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Four (4) years of sworn law enforcement experience; or a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with a major in criminology/criminal justice, accounting, finance, computer science or related fields.[/quote]

01-17-2008, 12:39 AM
That means totally nothing, trust me UNLESS you a 4 yr degree you wont even be looked at, thats straight from Tally.

01-17-2008, 01:06 AM
That means totally nothing, trust me UNLESS you a 4 yr degree you wont even be looked at, thats straight from Tally.

The above post is wrong. FDLE need people bad. Yes they do want a 4 year degree, but I too have 27 years and a 2 year degree and was hired this past Aug. All I can saw is do well on the interview and if you impress them they will waive it.... Good Luck!!!!

01-17-2008, 01:08 AM
That was SAY not SAW ( Oh it must be the 4 year degree) ....
Sorry

01-17-2008, 01:15 PM
Hope that someone can answer this. My neighborhood check has been done and my personnel file with my current employer has been reviewed. When should I expect to hear something? Also, any openings in Tally?

Thanks for the responses.

01-17-2008, 04:30 PM
I am at the same point in the application process as you, Guest 0801. I was told the only openings in Tallahassee would be with Protective Operations. Otherwise, the majority of openings are in Miami.

01-17-2008, 04:58 PM
I did not elect statewide. I guess it is wait and see. Good luck to you.

01-18-2008, 01:12 AM
Guest 955

Don't knock POS if it is offered in Tally. Be prepared for nights and weekends though. You probably won't be on the travel squad right away. But you will like it just the same.

01-18-2008, 11:02 PM
What is with FDLE now hiring people with a 4 year degree, but no police experience? They are passing on great experienced cops with a 2 year or some college for people with degrees and experience in car sales! This makes no sense. I'd way rather work with a cop with experience than a book worm. Any of your decent Fed agents all had prior Law Enforcement. How are you going to have a SA with no prior LE experience work a major investigation? All we need is more SAT's and paf investigators, gimme break.

Perhaps you do need a break and go back to school. I am sure that most college kids that the FDLE gets have Master's Degree to show for. What do you have? Let me guess:...some speeding and tickets and some responses to domestic violence.......yeah give me a break!!!!!!

01-19-2008, 01:41 PM
No, Actually I am an SA with 10 years of prior LEO experience and a 4 year degree. There are plenty of qualified experienced LEO's out there rather than PAF and secretaries who want to ne SA's and play police!

01-23-2008, 01:25 PM

Perhaps you do need a break and go back to school. I am sure that most college kids that the FDLE gets have Master's Degree to show for. What do you have? Let me guess:...some speeding and tickets and some responses to domestic violence.......yeah give me a break!!!!!!

Are you serious with this response? Don't humiliate yourself any further by showing you have no experience whatsoever. That is a complete insult to those of us who do have experience.

01-25-2008, 08:12 AM

Even though you did say "a lot" and not ALL just because someone went to college does that mean they have no life experience? There are many officers patroling the streets that will never have half the life experience many non-street cop college educated people will ever have. A college education does not mean no life experience neither does being a street cop proves life experience.[/b]

01-31-2008, 05:15 AM
You can tell the first batch is out on the street by listening to the radio.

"777 to Miami Dispatch"
"777"
*in a very slow, drawn out voice*
"777 to dispatch. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"777, 10-9 numerical"
*in a louder, slower voice*
"777, Miami. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"777 10-4"
"777, Miami. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"Miami, 777, thats 10-4"
"777, Miami, I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"777, are you reading me saying "10-4"? "
"777 to Dispatch, thats 10-4. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"

01-31-2008, 01:13 PM
You can tell the first batch is out on the street by listening to the radio.

"777 to Miami Dispatch"
"777"
*in a very slow, drawn out voice*
"777 to dispatch. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"777, 10-9 numerical"
*in a louder, slower voice*
"777 10-4"
"Miami, 777, thats 10-4"
"777, Miami, I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"
"777, are you reading me saying "10-4"? "
"777 to Dispatch, thats 10-4. I will be 10-6 at 1 2 3 4 s-o-u-t-h w-e-s-t fourty-second avenue, Miami, Florida, 12345"

LOL....oh boy

01-31-2008, 08:21 PM
It's just plain scary!!!! Go learn to be a cop somewhere else!

01-31-2008, 08:51 PM
It's just plain scary!!!! Go learn to be a cop somewhere else! :shock: :shock:

you get what you pay for!

01-31-2008, 09:44 PM
It's just plain scary!!!! Go learn to be a cop somewhere else!

Go cry somewhere else

02-01-2008, 12:46 AM
Have I heard correctly....are we now putting non-sworn, non-certified people through the SATC? Please say it aint so.....

02-01-2008, 01:05 AM
Have I heard correctly....are we now putting non-sworn, non-certified people through the SATC? Please say it aint so.....

WaaaaWaaaaa :roll:

02-01-2008, 01:52 AM
Yes, this is the demise of FDLE as a credible and respected agency. There has been some very interesting hiring at FDLE over the past 2 years!!!

Better to lose positions than fill them with individuals who have no law enforcement/investigative experience. All this does is bring down the standards of FDLE and the respect it receives from other agencies. Sadly, this is the trend and will not improve until the pay is addressed, as really talented investigators are not going to leave their current jobs with the pay FDLE is starting at.

02-01-2008, 03:19 AM
Sadly, this is the trend and will not improve until the pay is addressed, as really talented investigators are not going to leave their current jobs with the pay FDLE is starting at.

Bingo!

02-01-2008, 02:05 PM
Yes, this is the demise of FDLE as a credible and respected agency. There has been some very interesting hiring at FDLE over the past 2 years!!!

Better to lose positions than fill them with individuals who have no law enforcement/investigative experience. All this does is bring down the standards of FDLE and the respect it receives from other agencies. Sadly, this is the trend and will not improve until the pay is addressed, as really talented investigators are not going to leave their current jobs with the pay FDLE is starting at.

Explains why we're not getting the requests for assistance from the locals on cases....they can use their own rookies, who at least have been through a LE academy....

02-01-2008, 02:40 PM
Makes sense LimaUnit

BOSMIA
02-01-2008, 03:21 PM
Sadly, this is the trend and will not improve until the pay is addressed, as really talented investigators are not going to leave their current jobs with the pay FDLE is starting at.

Bingo!

This has to be why you are getting rookies fresh out of college.

02-01-2008, 05:02 PM
working for a police dept of sheriff dept you will make more money and get better bennies and equipt.

02-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Bingo!

Oh, thats a form of gambling right? Let me go check my statute book, since this is my first Law Enforcement job. Bare with me, I'm still learning.

02-02-2008, 02:59 AM
I agree with all the bs and the no exp SA's sucks, but let's try not to air all the dirty laundry on this public board. It just does not get us anywhere. Lets take it to a private message board for members only, just a thought.

BOSMIA
02-02-2008, 03:03 AM
I agree with all the bs and the no exp SA's sucks, but let's try not to air all the dirty laundry on this public board. It just does not get us anywhere. Lets take it to a private message board for members only, just a thought.

I hear you.

02-10-2008, 08:41 PM
At least the new guys in Miami stopped giving the zip code every time they give their location.