PDA

View Full Version : DOC Disrespect

01-06-2008, 01:37 AM
Recently I stumbled across a blog in the Tallahassee Forum about Florida prison guards being fired for threats. While the issue may have significance for them I was dismayed at the blatant disrespect they have for Law Enforcement. In one post the CO author wrote, "street cops cant handle working in a prison, go ask any one of them, they wouldnt last a week having to deal with CONVICTED FELONS, instead of grandma who made an illegal left turn."
Another wannabe wrote, "handing out parking tickets can sure be dangerous. Correctional Officers don't have it easy. They deal with murderers, rapists, child molesters, guys that have committed strong armed robberies, gang members."
I don't know about everyone else here but I've dealt with my fair share of the above criminals including those armed with firearms. Call me crazy but I took offense with some of the ignorant statements.
Check it out for yourself. Let them know what you think of them.
http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tallaha ... 5#lastPost (http://www.topix.com/forum/city/tallahassee-fl/TEOBKML62BGOEIGEI/p15#lastPost)

01-06-2008, 03:37 AM
Tongue my balls!

01-06-2008, 11:27 AM
They are right. Many of the people I work with on the road couldnt handle the stress of having to be in condition red for a full 12hrs shift.

Imagine every restaurant, gas station or store you went in was PACKED full of scumbags.

01-06-2008, 12:10 PM
They are right. Many of the people I work with on the road couldnt handle the stress of having to be in condition red for a full 12hrs shift.

Imagine every restaurant, gas station or store you went in was PACKED full of scumbags.
I've never worked as a C.O. in a jail nor in a prison -- and I never could. I already know that up front. Imagine taking all the idiots from around the county and packing them in a jail -- and then being locked up in there with them. :roll: Even worse, imagine taking all the idiots from the STATE and packing them into a prison -- and then being locked up in there with them!!! No way!!! :roll: I'll quit before I do that!!!

01-07-2008, 01:43 AM
I don't think it's really a matter of who can do who's job in this business. Chances are, regardless of which position, it takes the same natural ability to deal with high stress situations, if not thrive in them. It really depends on the individual officer. A wothless C.O. won't be able to hack road patrol FTO and vice versa.

It's very similar to the argument that city cops couldn't hack it in green.
Or, the "Traffic unit is worthless" thread. Reminds me of the "My Peepee is bigger than your Peepee" argument children like to have.

01-07-2008, 12:43 PM
Well said

yogidog
01-08-2008, 03:36 AM
Its a different job, CO and LEO. It just takes a different kind of person. Some people cant handle the road but work out great in the jail or comms, and vs versa. I wish DOC paid more.

01-15-2008, 01:31 AM
I would respect DOC guys a little more if I could pull one over ONE time who didn't have an expired registration, attached tag not assigned, or an uninsured vehicle. And unlike civilians who seem generally upset about getting caught with traffic violations, the DOC guys look up and wait for you to just let them go. LAME. no breaks from me!

01-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Who cares? Find someone not in the LE field to cite. There are plenty out there.

Learn the shift change times at Oil well and find something else to do for those couple half hours. When I get one of them, I joke with em for a bit and tell them to have a nice day. I could give a crap less what their 27 or 28 status is.

The vast majority of us speed to and from work. Our brothers in brown are no different.

01-18-2008, 01:09 AM
I dont want to work in the jail being on "red alert" 24/7 as the author of this thread put it. Which is why I work on the road. However, I would like to point out that both jobs have great risks, they both require us to look out for each other and watch our backs. I respect my brothers on the road and in the jails.

That being said, the cop on the road has to deal with grandma or joe citizen one minute, then deal with a crazy lunatic scum bag the next. Its easier said to change from the local compasionate deputy to the stern cop on red alert every few minutes. One of two things often happens. Either you're too stern with joe citizen or you're too complacent with scumbag lunatic.

Because of that reason I will always feel that being a street cop has a higher risk associated with it. Unfortunately the road officers hurt and injured in the line of duty reflect this as well. Not to mention the jail is specifically designed to control these scum bags. IMHO it's a little more complex on the street.

01-18-2008, 01:58 AM
I would like to point out the fact that there is a "BIG" difference between the county corrections officers and the ones that work for the State. The county officers go though the same background checks as the road officers and their licenses need to be valid to work for the county.

The state officers get paid very little and are always short staffed so they will hire anyone with or without a license. The warden of the state prison has asked the county to run radar on Oil Well and to cite his officers if they are speeding.

To the person that stated that he wouldn't write a corrections officer for vehicle not being registered or the driver not having a valid license I would hate to be you after you let them go and they crash and hurt, or even worse kill someone. The record of you pulling them over and letting them go will be great in a law suit.

I'm not for ticketing other officers, but if you aren't within the law with having a valid tag or license then you shouldn't be driving.

To all the state officers that get pulled over by a road cop, do us all a favor and respect us and we will respect you. I have pulled over a couple of state officers who think they could be rude with me, guess what....Push hard 5 copies.

01-20-2008, 09:46 PM
I would like to point out the fact that there is a "BIG" difference between the county corrections officers and the ones that work for the State. The county officers go though the same background checks as the road officers and their licenses need to be valid to work for the county.

The state officers get paid very little and are always short staffed so they will hire anyone with or without a license. The warden of the state prison has asked the county to run radar on Oil Well and to cite his officers if they are speeding.

To the person that stated that he wouldn't write a corrections officer for vehicle not being registered or the driver not having a valid license I would hate to be you after you let them go and they crash and hurt, or even worse kill someone. The record of you pulling them over and letting them go will be great in a law suit.

I'm not for ticketing other officers, but if you aren't within the law with having a valid tag or license then you shouldn't be driving.

To all the state officers that get pulled over by a road cop, do us all a favor and respect us and we will respect you. I have pulled over a couple of state officers who think they could be rude with me, guess what....Push hard 5 copies.

We do let some people slip by in our hiring, but having a valid DL is a requirement of the job. I dont know of anyone recently within last 1.5yrs that has been hired without one. Plus we also have turned people down even though we are short staffed. We are in LE together. If there tag is far out of date then cite em, but cut us a break on the 8over BS. We are the only ones that transit oilwell road.

DistrictDeputy
01-21-2008, 11:42 AM
Traveling 8mph over the speed limit is not the issue. Traveling 25+mph over the speed limit is the issue. There is no reason that someone should be traveling 100mph on Oil Well Road or US 41. I can attest to stopping several from CCI at 100+mph on either Oil Well Road or US 41. That is a problem. All I can say is follow the speed limit, and you will be safe.

01-22-2008, 12:59 AM
doc probation now that could be the worst job ever. i have met some that make 40 thous with 10 plus years. did you know they drive their own cars to do field supervision. they get no over time and have no step pay.

01-26-2008, 01:07 AM
we have a few ex probation folks here.