PDA

View Full Version : Aviation Unit

01-04-2008, 05:32 AM
Hey guys/girls, let me know if the rumor is true. I heard you lost yet another pilot (the first two went to work for the county) and now you don't have anyone to fly the helicopter (s). Is the S.O. looking to take that over like they did Lake Wales Comm. Center?

Lonewolf1
01-04-2008, 01:49 PM
Who left, Lavon?. Can't say as I blame him, the LPD aviation unit is always on the verge of being cut or some such silliness. I remember when Lavon worked for me in patrol and traffic. He has come a long way.

01-04-2008, 10:58 PM
Lavon and Brian both went to work for the S.O.'s aviation unit. They are great guys and actually can find people along with our other good pilot Craig. Between the three of them, we have a great unit now.

01-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Someone was flying it today over South Lakeland.

01-05-2008, 01:21 PM
Rumor has it, Gradys fly boys wants the air unit. Remember the TV ad with the mayor and him at the morgue with the stop DUI this year ?????

01-06-2008, 03:04 AM
THE MAYORS A DUI SPOKESMAN.... ANYTHINGS POSSIBLE I THINK...

01-07-2008, 04:51 AM
Lavon and Brian both went to work for the S.O.'s aviation unit. They are great guys and actually can find people along with our other good pilot Craig. Between the three of them, we have a great unit now.

Is Rob Grey still over there?

01-07-2008, 11:34 PM
Yes hes still with PCSO

01-15-2008, 03:39 AM
Someone was flying it today over South Lakeland.

That is Cochran flying the helicopter.

01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
Cochran flying the helicopter? Everybody make sure your kids are in car seats!!

01-17-2008, 02:09 AM
i hope Seattle is joking.. hard to tell on here sometimes... i just hope the city does the right thing and pays a pilot what they should get so they dont leave again.
just FYI im not a pilot nor do i intend on becoming one.
looks like they finally got rid of McLiar. seems he went back to the military where he doesnt have to lie or cover stories that he may or may not of told supervisors.

01-17-2008, 06:40 PM
Cochran flying the helicopter? Everybody make sure your kids are in car seats!!

The 50 cal. was removed after the chopper's service in Nam so the public should be safe. Hope they gave him that class put on by John Deer.

01-24-2008, 01:23 AM
I think it is great that Cochran put himself through school and is training in the LPD helicopter on his own time. He is a smart, dedicated, level headed person and the right person for the job. Besides if he was not here to fly it we may loose the helicopter altogether because of not having a pilot.

01-24-2008, 01:50 AM
I agree with you about Cochran, and don't understand some of the other posts with regard to him. With regard to the helicopter, why not get rid of it? The pilots are not afforded adequate flying time, because it costs money to fly, not to mention maintenance and repairs. Can anyone think of the last time the LPD helicopter assisted in any meaningful way to any situation? The answer is no, and it's not the pilots' fault, it's our retired- on-active-duty chief and the power hungry mini-gestapo administration he has surrounded himself with. Maybe if we got rid of the helicopter, it would free up a good chunk of money with which we could get some equipment which we could actually use. But, what's the use, the third floor is so high up that they can't hear those of us way down here.

04-16-2008, 01:26 AM
Is your agency still flying an old vietnam era OH-58? Our agency ( FL SO) is being asked why we bought a Bell 407 instead of a 35 year old re-fit helo. Any opinions this?

04-16-2008, 02:16 AM
Is your agency still flying an old vietnam era OH-58? Our agency ( FL SO) is being asked why we bought a Bell 407 instead of a 35 year old re-fit helo. Any opinions this?

Yes, our helo is a 1973 OH-58. A Bell 407 is a little more than we need as we do not preform SAR or medical operations. Further, it uses a heck of a lot more fuel, but if your agency can afford it, go for it. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. Although having the ability to increase the maximum takeoff weight would be a definite advantage. Having four occupants and 450 lbs of fuel onboard is pushing the limits. Especially in this hot and humid Florida weather.

04-17-2008, 01:38 AM
Very good info. Thanks for your reply.

04-17-2008, 11:21 PM

Yes, our helo is a 1973 OH-58. A Bell 407 is a little more than we need as we do not preform SAR or medical operations. Further, it uses a heck of a lot more fuel, but if your agency can afford it, go for it. It is better to have and not need than need and not have. Although having the ability to increase the maximum takeoff weight would be a definite advantage. Having four occupants and 450 lbs of fuel onboard is pushing the limits. Especially in this hot and humid Florida weather.

Check for it on E-Bay in a couple of months. Your agency should be able to get a pretty good deal on it.

04-18-2008, 02:42 AM
Its very likely with tax cuts alot of agencies are going to cut aviation units and fall back on SOs. The problem we have here is that a guy running for Sheriff thinks it is cheaper and safer to fly the OH58 versus the 407. I guess he doesnt know they are the same platform but 40 years apart in production. Ill fly the new one anyday. I tend to like to go home alive every day.