PDA

View Full Version : How long is your hiring process?

01-04-2008, 01:18 AM
To those of you in the ABT, I just received a call yesterday for an interview. How long does it take to get hired. How long is the process?

01-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Forever

01-04-2008, 01:59 AM
Forever may or may not be correct. As a general rule, it goes something like this -
The interview committee will make a recommendation shortly after the interview.
If you are selected to proceed, your packet will be sent to a local LT. for a background.
If you have a relatively clean past, the background will probably take a couple weeks. The packet is sent to Tallahassee for additional processing.
Once Tallahassee has everything and there are no unresolved issues, you will get a call/letter with a conditional offer.
You will then be scheduled for a "mental" eval, drug screen and physical.
If everything looks good, you will be given an offer.
If you haven't found a better offer, then it is off to an office where you will have a 12 week FTO program.
From interview to start (best case) you are looking at 45-60 days.
Good Luck.

01-04-2008, 02:01 AM
The best thing you can do is not join ABT. Even if you are a retired cop and just want to make some extra money, don't do it with ABT. Find a real police agency, well, it's a real agency, it just doesn't have real law enforcement managers. So the good law enforcement agents have a heck of a time getting used to the "working for the industry" doodoo, the Majors without experience, the Captains who don't even know the meaning of probable cause, who are afraid of hiring people with good experience because they believe those folks will take their jobs, every single one of them "non-cops," and the Lt.s, don't even go there. Well, let me change that, we have Lt.s who have been real cops, but they don't get anywhere in the agency because, again, you have to go back to the top.

In closing, DON'T COME TO PLAY.B.T. The good ones are leaving or are in the process of finding where to go.

01-04-2008, 02:32 AM
I hear stuff like that, but my experience has been different. It has been a good ride - the best part-time job in the whole state.

01-04-2008, 04:20 AM
been here a long time and get a kick out of the stuff said on this site....some really sad people work here...but also some good people. the interview process and background take aobut 45 days, give or take. don't let the unhappy, unsatisfied folks who post here discourge you. If offered a position, take it. all state agencies have problems, ABT is no different. there are those of us who still enjoy the diversity of this job and have supervisors we respect and have faith in. good luck in your interview

01-06-2008, 08:32 AM
I have 25+ years in law enforcement, half working undercover, highly decorated, did numerous investigations for you guys when you asked for help, went to your interview and background and because of some BS administration reprimands in my file you guys did not hire me.......Unfortunately when your pro active your chances of getting written up for BS increases...its sad that your people that make the decisions don't know that...

01-07-2008, 07:52 PM
I applied with ABT about 3 years, interviewed, my background was done and that was it, dont know what happened to application, no letter no phone call, nothing.I think if you come from a large P.D. they feel threatened. Dude, apply with the division of insurance fraud, totally different agency very professional, they got their shit together. I was hired in a few months. They made me feel very welcomed,

01-07-2008, 11:36 PM
I applied with ABT about 3 years, interviewed, my background was done and that was it, dont know what happened to application, no letter no phone call, nothing.I think if you come from a large P.D. they feel threatened. Dude, apply with the division of insurance fraud, totally different agency very professional, they got their shizzat together. I was hired in a few months. They made me feel very welcomed,

Must have been something in your background cause we aint that picky...as you can tell! Call'em and see!

01-08-2008, 03:11 AM
I applied with ABT about 3 years, interviewed, my background was done and that was it, dont know what happened to application, no letter no phone call, nothing.I think if you come from a large P.D. they feel threatened. Dude, apply with the division of insurance fraud, totally different agency very professional, they got their shizzat together. I was hired in a few months. They made me feel very welcomed,

Why are you on this board then?! With terms like "dude" and "shizzat" are you still guessing why we did not hire you? Figures DFS did!!!!

01-09-2008, 08:38 PM
Background was clean, the dept and the 25 plus years was a factor I guess they felt a little intimidated.

01-11-2008, 01:07 AM
25 years of experience was not an intimidating factor for ABT. We probably have more people (for an agency our size) with 20 or more years than any other agency. There are many that retired from other agencies and have started their second career here. I suspect the issue was your credentials were no different than the credentials of the other 20 applicants for the position.
Just for future reference - there is a difference between having 1 year of experience 25 times and having 25 years of experience.

Keep looking - you will find an agency impressed with what you are offering. Good Luck.

01-11-2008, 02:26 AM
Background was clean, the dept and the 25 plus years was a factor I guess they felt a little intimidated.

We will call you the INTIMINDATOR. :shock: See. Wait...I will do it again..... :shock:

01-11-2008, 02:48 AM
How long is the hiring process you asked? The following chart applies to both the Divison of Alcoholic Beverages and Tobacco and the Divison of Hotels and Resturants:

1. If you do not know or have never met the DS....45 days or more.
2. If you met the DS once...45 days.
3. If you met the DS more than once...30 days.
4. If you know the DS..15 days.
5. If you are friends with the DS...8 days.
6. If you know something on the DS...4 days or less.

And in some cases no need to submit to People First. Just bring your 1/2 complete app., by the office or just telephone and give a verbal.

01-12-2008, 10:04 PM
Sad but TRUE!

07-07-2013, 08:57 PM
Which offices are hiring?

07-07-2013, 09:05 PM
According to the website - none.