PDA

View Full Version : Free Speech

01-03-2008, 03:03 PM
"If liberty means anything at all, it means the right to tell people what they do not want to hear." - George Orwell, Preface to Animal Farm (1946)

01-03-2008, 03:10 PM
The principle of free thought is not free thought for those who agree with us but freedom for the thought we hate." US Supreme Court Justice Oliver Wendell Holmes in United States v. Schwimmer (1929).

Censorship is closely related to the concepts of freedom of speech and freedom of expression. When overused, it is often associated with human rights abuse, dictatorship, and repression.

The term "censorship" is often used as a pejorative term to signify a belief that a group controlling certain information is using this control improperly or for its own benefit, or preventing others from accessing information that should be made readily accessible (often so that conclusions drawn can be verified).

MOD1 must have missed Constitutional law class in BLET school

01-03-2008, 03:26 PM
Reno v. ACLU, the Court declared the Internet to be a free speech zone, deserving of at least as much First Amendment protection as that afforded to books, newspapers and magazines. The government, the Court said, can no more restrict a person's access to words or images on the Internet than it could be allowed to snatch a book out of a reader's hands in the library, or cover over a statue of a nude in a museum.

The importance of the Internet as the "the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed," requires that the courts perpetually uphold the freedom of speech.

01-03-2008, 04:53 PM
From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

01-03-2008, 05:37 PM
From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?

01-03-2008, 07:04 PM
[quote="HUH?":841i2xn4]From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?[/quote:841i2xn4]

Sorry if I was too cryptic everybody kept saying there was such censorship and that somebody was putting up some super secret mirror site which reminded me of the Miami Vice and CSI shows. Too much drama.

01-03-2008, 07:13 PM
[quote="Miami Vice?":3i3ble0v][quote="HUH?":3i3ble0v]From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?[/quote:3i3ble0v]

Sorry if I was too cryptic everybody kept saying there was such censorship and that somebody was putting up some super secret mirror site which reminded me of the Miami Vice and CSI shows. Too much drama.[/quote:3i3ble0v]

I guess you did not understand the technological term for mirrored site. It means a site like this one, but instead where the server might be located in Russia, or Asia...Therefore avoiding this ridiculous type of censorship because of fear they will get sued. The sheriff can not intimidate the heads of other countries.

If you and and the sheriff would stop wasting your time monitoring this site for content and serve the people of this county, we all would be better off.

01-03-2008, 08:32 PM
[quote="HUH?":2z4k5nwm][quote="Miami Vice?":2z4k5nwm][quote="HUH?":2z4k5nwm]From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?[/quote:2z4k5nwm]

Sorry if I was too cryptic everybody kept saying there was such censorship and that somebody was putting up some super secret mirror site which reminded me of the Miami Vice and CSI shows. Too much drama.[/quote:2z4k5nwm]

I guess you did not understand the technological term for mirrored site. It means a site like this one, but instead where the server might be located in Russia, or Asia...Therefore avoiding this ridiculous type of censorship because of fear they will get sued. The sheriff can not intimidate the heads of other countries.

If you and and the sheriff would stop wasting your time monitoring this site for content and serve the people of this county, we all would be better off.[/quote:2z4k5nwm]

No I totally understood the meaning of the mirrored site. What I find amazing is that someone would support communism and the mafiastic arena all in the name of "free speech" and set up a mirrored site. Maybe if people would look at the real issues and let the vote tell the tale then maybe we could get something done. As far as wasting time don't believe so but that is your opinion and in our country (which I serve so rightously) you are allowed to express. God Bless.

01-03-2008, 09:15 PM
[quote="Miami Vice?":xbyk3fnk][quote="HUH?":xbyk3fnk][quote="Miami Vice?":xbyk3fnk][quote="HUH?":xbyk3fnk]From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?[/quote:xbyk3fnk]

Sorry if I was too cryptic everybody kept saying there was such censorship and that somebody was putting up some super secret mirror site which reminded me of the Miami Vice and CSI shows. Too much drama.[/quote:xbyk3fnk]

If you and and the sheriff would stop wasting your time monitoring this site for content and serve the people of this county, we all would be better off.[/quote:xbyk3fnk]

No I totally understood the meaning of the mirrored site. What I find amazing is that someone would support communism and the mafiastic arena all in the name of "free speech" and set up a mirrored site. Maybe if people would look at the real issues and let the vote tell the tale then maybe we could get something done. As far as wasting time don't believe so but that is your opinion and in our country (which I serve so rightously) you are allowed to express. God Bless.[/quote:xbyk3fnk]

From Miami Vice / CSI to now supporting communism. Amazing how you arrive at these conclusions from a post that has nothing to do with either of the three. Free Speech is some how supporting communism, WOW!

The Vote, what vote? No one cares to run, or make a difference, they are happy with the corrupt system and are afraid to speak out for fear of retaliation. That Sir is supporting true communism. Oppression by intimidation. Do you not read what goes on here at the commission level, the hiring of personnel, and the firing of personnel in Cherokee County? No one that works for this county will speak out because of fear! There is NO system in place to protect employees.

01-04-2008, 04:42 PM
[quote="Sorry Dude????":23syw3fo][quote="Miami Vice?":23syw3fo][quote="HUH?":23syw3fo][quote="Miami Vice?":23syw3fo][quote="HUH?":23syw3fo]From what was spouted earlier what is the problem if posts were removed if as somebody said a mirror link is coming up offshore. Shades of Miami Vice or CSI.

What does Miami Vice, or CSI have to do with free speech debate?[/quote:23syw3fo]

Sorry if I was too cryptic everybody kept saying there was such censorship and that somebody was putting up some super secret mirror site which reminded me of the Miami Vice and CSI shows. Too much drama.[/quote:23syw3fo]

If you and and the sheriff would stop wasting your time monitoring this site for content and serve the people of this county, we all would be better off.[/quote:23syw3fo]

No I totally understood the meaning of the mirrored site. What I find amazing is that someone would support communism and the mafiastic arena all in the name of "free speech" and set up a mirrored site. Maybe if people would look at the real issues and let the vote tell the tale then maybe we could get something done. As far as wasting time don't believe so but that is your opinion and in our country (which I serve so rightously) you are allowed to express. God Bless.[/quote:23syw3fo]

From Miami Vice / CSI to now supporting communism. Amazing how you arrive at these conclusions from a post that has nothing to do with either of the three. Free Speech is some how supporting communism, WOW!

The Vote, what vote? No one cares to run, or make a difference, they are happy with the corrupt system and are afraid to speak out for fear of retaliation. That Sir is supporting true communism. Oppression by intimidation. Do you not read what goes on here at the commission level, the hiring of personnel, and the firing of personnel in Cherokee County? No one that works for this county will speak out because of fear! There is NO system in place to protect employees.[/quote:23syw3fo]

Of course communism does not and will not support free speech, but someone has said they are going to put up a mirror site from a Russian outfit which would be supporting communism as well as their mafia all in the name of free speech and prevent censorship. Sounds like getting bed with the devil. Shades of Bobby Booshay. God Bless

Mod 100
01-06-2008, 10:08 PM
Anyone can post on our site as long as they agree to the Terms of Use. Posts that do not conform to the Terms of Use will be violated.

Some posts that are rather well written end up getting deleted because they quoted a post that violated the Terms of Use. It is much faster and easier for me to delete these posts than to go in and edit out the quoted post.

If you want a better chance of a post you write not being deleted, I would recommend not quoting another post when doing so.

Mod 1

01-07-2008, 01:54 AM
Anyone can post on our site as long as they agree to the Terms of Use. Posts that do not conform to the Terms of Use will be violated.

Some posts that are rather well written end up getting deleted because they quoted a post that violated the Terms of Use. It is much faster and easier for me to delete these posts than to go in and edit out the quoted post.

If you want a better chance of a post you write not being deleted, I would recommend not quoting another post when doing so.

Mod 1

MOD 100, a tactic used here to get rid of of an undesirable post is to simply post a negative post in violation of terms, knowing well that it will eliminate a proper post. It works both ways. I would not sweat it, I think things are going to cool down here much this 2008. Enough has been said already.

01-07-2008, 02:01 AM
I too hope that the new year brings cooler heads and calmer temps along with some sanity. Free speech must prevail but pointed attacks which serve nothing should not be allowed. Again, I am glad that we have a country that allows to express our ideas and promotes democracy as well as protecting the dignity of others. God Bless this year.

MOD 1
01-07-2008, 10:56 PM

Mod 1

MOD 100, a tactic used here to get rid of of an undesirable post is to simply post a negative post in violation of terms, knowing well that it will eliminate a proper post. It works both ways. I would not sweat it, I think things are going to cool down here much this 2008. Enough has been said already.

Actually someone replies to a good post, with post that violates the Terms of Use, only the second post would be deleted. It is when someone quotes a post that's in violation of the Terms of Use, does it cause a good post to get removed.