PDA

View Full Version : time to retire??????????????????

12-24-2007, 04:08 PM
North Port City Commissioner Lockhart still hospitalized
(Last updated: December 24, 2007 10:53 AM)

**** Lockhart is feeling better

By ELAINE ALLEN-EMRICH
North Port Editor

NORTH PORT -- Surrounded by family members, North Port Commissioner **** Lockhart spent Christmas in the hospital. However, he is progressing.

After several surgeries, the 74-year-old is recovering at Fawcett Memorial Hospital in Port Charlotte.

"He is in good spirits," said Lockhart's son, Paul. "For a little while, he didn't want to see anyone but myself, my brother and my mother, but now he wants to see my daughters. He's up and walking."

Lockhart has been undergoing physical therapy.

"He asked us to bring him his laptop so he can check his e-mails and wants to watch the commission meetings," Paul said. "These are all good signs that he's on his way to recovery."

This is good news as fellow commissioners say they need him back soon as his vote would have been the tie breaker in the commission's first 2-2 vote over an agreement with the developer of a Target store in North Port.

Shortly after Thanksgiving, Lockhart complained to his wife, Janice, that he "needed help." She called 911 and an ambulance transported him to the hospital.

Hearing this, many of Lockhart's friends had been visiting him for short periods. However, he became somewhat overwhelmed and asked for limited visitors. "The doctor said he is very happy with my dad's progress," Paul said, adding he gives his dad cards sent to City Hall. "We are asking for continued prayer. God is answering them."

Although Janice does not drive, she has been receiving help and support from family and friends.

Commissioner Lockhart is an active member of several civic and veteran groups, including the Noon Kiwanis Club. He has been a city commissioner for seven years. He is well-known for helping North Port High School students get scholarships and community support.

He also assists the school's athletic clubs any way he can and attended all football and other games including girl's basketball.

He recently helped the Drum and Bugle Corps with money needed to charter a bus to the Veterans Day Parade in Punta Gorda.

Several years ago, Lockhart was hospitalized after falling and hitting his head in the parking lot near the Dollar General Store in North Port.

12-29-2007, 11:38 PM
It is sad that he is in the hospital, but he should consider leaving office so that someone else could be appointed so there would be no more tied votes.
Especialy with such major votes coming up at the next few meetings.

12-30-2007, 10:38 AM
From talk around town, he has been or soon will be released from the hospital.