PDA

View Full Version : Patrol rifles ..need or not?

12-21-2007, 12:53 AM
Was just wondering how many of you feel a patrol rifle is a "needed" item or just an extra piece of eqipment.

I feel it's a tool that has become necessary due to our urban patrol areas and the recent shootings involving LEOs has shown that rifles are being used more and more by bad guys.

Even if you are lucky enough to have been issued a shotgun, it is no good against a rifle for penetration and accuracy.

What say ye?

12-21-2007, 07:44 PM
can I still carry the Krispy Kremes?

12-22-2007, 01:13 AM
Was just wondering how many of you feel a patrol rifle is a "needed" item or just an extra piece of eqipment.

I feel it's a tool that has become necessary due to our urban patrol areas and the recent shootings involving LEOs has shown that rifles are being used more and more by bad guys.

Even if you are lucky enough to have been issued a shotgun, it is no good against a rifle for penetration and accuracy.

What say ye?

PLEASE tell me you're kidding... It's amazing that they allow some of you guys to carry a handgun in the first place...................

12-22-2007, 02:00 AM

What say ye?

Didnt you get the drift your last go-around? Bad guys???? There is no way in the world this was written by any cop! We have an infeltrator amongst us here.

Hey Nancy, how about you turn in your equipment.... if in fact you were ever issued any.... then find another line of liberal work out there. We work with the tools issued....period! If you have a shotgun then great, hand gun, tazer, baton, spray, AR-15.... whatever, you survive with the tools you have and you learn how to do it well or you dont last long in the field.

12-22-2007, 03:57 AM

What say ye?

Didnt you get the drift your last go-around? Bad guys???? There is no way in the world this was written by any cop! We have an infeltrator amongst us here.

Hey Nancy, how about you turn in your equipment.... if in fact you were ever issued any.... then find another line of liberal work out there. We work with the tools issued....period! If you have a shotgun then great, hand gun, tazer, baton, spray, AR-15.... whatever, you survive with the tools you have and you learn how to do it well or you dont last long in the field.

Nice.
They provide spell check here, as well. I see you don't use it. And it's MR. Nancy to you.

Now, any real cops out there have any more input?

12-22-2007, 07:33 AM
you fight with the army you have, not the one you wish you had

secdef

12-22-2007, 08:27 PM

What say ye?

Nice.
They provide spell check here, as well. I see you don't use it. And it's MR. Nancy to you.

Now, any real cops out there have any more input?

Didnt mean to get your panties in a bunch there Mr. Sweetcake. You can take your spell check, shine it up real nice.... turn it sideways then stick it straight up your roody poo candy a$$!! Happy Holidays

12-23-2007, 03:31 PM
you fight with the army you have, not the one you wish you had

secdef

You don't like the army you have, you make it better or give it up.

12-23-2007, 03:37 PM
Didnt mean to get your panties in a bunch there Mr. Sweetcake. You can take your spell check, shine it up real nice.... turn it sideways then stick it straight up your roody poo candy a$$!! Happy Holidays

Nice. I see you keep up with the wrestling world. I fiured you were immature.
At least you got the MR correct.

The question was if you had the chance, the opportunity, the ability, to be issued a patrol rifle,....would you?

And as an addition.... would you feel strongly enough to ASK for one?

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you............

12-23-2007, 07:32 PM

Nice. I see you keep up with the wrestling world. I fiured you were immature.
At least you got the MR correct.

The question was if you had the chance, the opportunity, the ability, to be issued a patrol rifle,....would you?

And as an addition.... would you feel strongly enough to ASK for one?

And Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you............

The last thing I would be is "afraid" to ask for one if I felt I needed it. If your concerned with someone feeling "strongly" enough to ask then perhaps your in the wrong field.... do you feel strongly enough to ask someone for ID when needed? Do you feel "strongly" enough to get the job done when the time comes?? Ya catchin my drift here... as a cop, feeling "strongly" enough should not be an issue.... carry yourself as if you have a pair. If you want a shotgun/ AR15 then ask for it, seek out the training to use it and master your skills.
What I have seen so far is a group of people that need to spend a little more time at the range sharpening their skills with the weapon they already have BEFORE asking for additional firepower. Pulling your glock out and brushing the dust off only when qual's come around is not the way to stay prepared.
As far as quoting The Rock, if you feel that it is considered being immature then I will just have to consider the source.
Stay safe out there, take what I said to heart and not as an insult....

12-23-2007, 11:48 PM
The last thing I would be is "afraid" to ask for one if I felt I needed it. If your concerned with someone feeling "strongly" enough to ask then perhaps your in the wrong field.... do you feel strongly enough to ask someone for ID when needed? Do you feel "strongly" enough to get the job done when the time comes?? Ya catchin my drift here... as a cop, feeling "strongly" enough should not be an issue.... carry yourself as if you have a pair. If you want a shotgun/ AR15 then ask for it, seek out the training to use it and master your skills.
What I have seen so far is a group of people that need to spend a little more time at the range sharpening their skills with the weapon they already have BEFORE asking for additional firepower. Pulling your glock out and brushing the dust off only when qual's come around is not the way to stay prepared.
As far as quoting The Rock, if you feel that it is considered being immature then I will just have to consider the source.
Stay safe out there, take what I said to heart and not as an insult....

You can't make a post without being insulting. "carry yourself as if you have a pair..." Right.

In case you don't realize, I'm asking the questions to get some type of input and discussion from the visitors of this board who DON'T have an axe to grind or a God complex.
That IS what this board is for...... to share info and discuss.

12-24-2007, 01:18 PM
Sorry... I missed sensitivity training. Here, let me hand you a tissue to wipe the tears. You really might want to consider another line of work.

12-24-2007, 04:30 PM
Sorry... I missed sensitivity training. Here, let me hand you a tissue to wipe the tears. You really might want to consider another line of work.

LOL....
No thanks..... soon as you old timers get out of here, it'll be a downright great place to work.

How is Immokalee, by the way? :lol:

12-24-2007, 05:21 PM
If your so great, why are you working at SPD.

12-25-2007, 05:50 AM
There are far more pro's then cvon's with this one folks. Lets face it in todays society we are faced with all sorts of challanges. Some of those are more "scary" than others. For Instnace...

The number of strong armed robberies, home invations, police involved shootings and forceable felonies in the State of Florida, as well as nation wide are on a rise. I for one have had a AR issued and see the need for them as a part of our "tools" opf the trade.

Properly trained with and utilized these weapns are second to none. The days of the shotgun are out. Sure they are great for riots and deploying CS Gas, bean bags ect... But as a street level supression weapon, they are out with the slap jacks.

We need firepower. Anyone who has ever been in a firefight will tell you that they go fast. Anyone who has ever been out gunned will tell you they go on forever...and ever. What a sick feeling those poor guys in Cali had. They were unprepared and out gunned. They learned their leasson and moved on. Now each patrol car has at least one issued. Every supervisor has one as well.

On Brighton several years back two officers were attacked and by the grace of god were not killed (despite SOME reports the shooters WAS trying to kill them with his AK-47 or maybe it was a SKS) in one case an officer had nothing but an engine block saving his cakes.... But they were lucky the way it ended...

In surrounding counties we have home invasion, murders, robberies ect. It's just a matter of time before we have those smae crimes in focer in our area... We need to be prepared. "After the fact" leaves nothing but regret.

Train now, prepare for the worse and expect less than the best. I say we have the ability to arm our guys with quality arms do so.

I sure would hate to see a bunch of non-penitrating shotguns being passed / issued out (collecting dust in trunks) when we could have the peace of mind that if we need the stopping power and penitration of a .233 cal could have been there...

I say we set a standard for teh AR's and use the CMS / FDLE Patrol Rifle class as a standard. If you want to carry one, go through the class. I have and its a great class... I think ANYONE issued one should first go through this class as well. Just a thought... But AR's area must for our age and time... Shotguns have their purpose but they are not a great all round weapon. Just a fact.

If the department wants to save money and not lives then let them stck with the shotguns... If thats the case I will continue NOT to choose to carry one....

This is great department and you guys will see many changes over the course of the next few years since class III ... Lets all just hope for the best. I for one am excited about it... A little of topic there but the point is they will come... In time.

02-25-2008, 11:27 PM
If your so great, why are you working at SPD.

what a bunch of morons, why do you want the rifles when you can't use them.!!!!

04-18-2009, 06:20 PM
President Obama met with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at the Summit of the Americas and exchanged gifts. Chavez has indicated that “We (Venezuela) must confront the privileged elite who have destroyed a large part of the world” and has accused the “North American empire of being the biggest menace to our planet”. What’s next a tea party with Bin Laden and milk and cookies with Ahmadinejad ?

Thanks God we are getting patrol rifles, we are going to need them.

Good Job Chief

04-18-2009, 07:03 PM
President Obama met with Venezuelan President Hugo Chavez at the Summit of the Americas and exchanged gifts. Chavez has indicated that “We (Venezuela) must confront the privileged elite who have destroyed a large part of the world” and has accused the “North American empire of being the biggest menace to our planet”. What’s next a tea party with Bin Laden and milk and cookies with Ahmadinejad ?

Thanks God we are getting patrol rifles, we are going to need them.

Good Job Chief Good post, more wasted money, this chief has wasted more money, I mean millions, we have been adding it up council needs to hear about this. The safety director has no idea, he was a guard in washington, DC. This has got to stop, getting close for a big shake up. The staff told Will last week "don't worry everything is OK" I here the new LT in Tampa can not make a decision , every time a decision has to be made he calls the Capt., why is he needed. That is sad.

04-18-2009, 10:45 PM
How is their Department money wasted when you buy your own rifle

04-19-2009, 02:48 PM
How is their Department money wasted when you buy your own rifle Not talking about wasted money on rifles, rifles should be dept. standard issue. Today law enforcement needs fire power. Money is wasted on many other things, for example bring in all these staff people that we do not need, take home vehicles are being abused, some of the cars in tampa have more milage than the cars in BC. The cars here in Hollywood are the same and the brass are running into each other. An assessment needs to be done by an outside source.

04-27-2009, 07:37 AM
How is their Department money wasted when you buy your own rifle Not talking about wasted money on rifles, rifles should be dept. standard issue. Today law enforcement needs fire power. Money is wasted on many other things, for example bring in all these staff people that we do not need, take home vehicles are being abused, some of the cars in tampa have more milage than the cars in BC. The cars here in Hollywood are the same and the brass are running into each other. An assessment needs to be done by an outside source.
Very true, Riddle me this, why is it that there are some departments that are of equal size to us, have all the best tools that money can buy? This is a great dept, there are just some things that could make an average person take a second look. How much money is being used to for the change in the patches, badges, the cars, If the emblem is either an Indian head or a chickee, it is not going to make or break us, It will not make us better and more efficient. It seems that we are one step behind, We will get a semi auto Ar-15 where the bad guys have full auto aks Whatever,

04-29-2009, 02:28 PM
Name one dept that has full auto. We have officers that can't even unholster their weapons and you want to give them a fully automatic weapon. If anything I say we fix bayonnets.

04-29-2009, 11:52 PM
Name one dept that has full auto. We have officers that can't even unholster their weapons and you want to give them a fully automatic weapon. If anything I say we fix bayonnets.
You know what, you are right, what was I thinking? Unholster their weapon? You wish,,hmm they dont even know what gun they have in their holster. Telling ya, some people around these parts are as affective as a silk towel