PDA

View Full Version : Pension

12-18-2007, 10:19 PM
For those that have an interest in the Pension, and I would hope all of you do, I feel a need to pass on information that I observed at the last bargaining session. This is my opinion unsolicited and by no means do I profess to be an expert, just a concerned observer. I use the term bargaining session loosely because one side of the group present was prepared to bargain in good faith. The FOP representation present and our Pension Attorney showed up prepared. The Cities reps Joe R, Alan D, and some bean counter J showed up ill prepared. In my eyes an embarrassment to the City Council who are the Pension Trustees. It is hard to believe that our Council supports this representation, if so, it's an election year and I encourage all to vote and inform all they know to do the same. The only seat available up for election is the Mayoral seat, who happens to chair the Pension Advisory committee. It's hard to fathom that with his investment background that he condones his representatives conduct. Paul N opened the meeting on behalf of the FOP with stating the fact that the negotiation process has been going on for over a year and that the City has rejected our proposals. Alan D, with the City, sarcastically smirked and chimed in that they rejected the proposal as presented. Paul N argued and asked for their counter proposal or suggestion pertaining to increasing the Cola and Multiplier. The exchange continued with Alan D informing that the proposal was not cost neutral and can be if presented in a different way. He would not elaborate. The argument was raised that the City doesn't care about its employees based on their cost neutral attitude. The "BOY WONDER" Alan D was cut off and rescued by "BATMAN" Joe R who insisted they were here to bargain openly and honestly stating that extensive changes in the Pension are currently happening and were discussed at the recent Pension Advisory Board meeting. He insisted that the City will spend money on making sure Pension issues are put on a referendum and that they were looking at the March election until it was moved forward to January. My contention is that this is just another smoke screen delay and that if they were so concerned with our issues why did they come to this bargaining session without a counter proposal to what we submitted in good faith. My personal opinion, the City reps present were flustered and caught off guard with our representation and the Pension Attorney's knowledge on the issues. The Attorney presented his thoughts on how the Cities actuary report was flawed and a lot of "assumptions" used in calculations were omitted. It was his understanding through experience that the report needed to be prepared more thoroughly to actually show that our proposals pertaining to a Drop Plan were cost neutral. He couldn't understand why $ 30,000 was paid out for a useless study and stated that it now will cost more for a thorough report. Joe R's contention was that the money spent showed the City was working towards resolutions. Union Board member, in attendance, Dan S took offense stating that the money used for the actuary report came from the Pension Fund, not from the City as they led us to believe. I can go on forever over this issue, the bottom line is. Our Attorney proposed that the City look at our cost neutral Drop Plan or one based on market fluctuations that would keep it cost neutral. The Cities own actuary in 2005 said it could be done. The City representation understood the proposal with Joe R being asked by Paul N if a counter proposal will be in order. Joe R stated that the ball was in their court and that they will have a counter at the next meeting. People, our Pension is over funded and stable. What is your opinion? I for one don't understand why a Public Safety employee is given the same multiplier as a Public Works employee. Nationwide our multiplier is an embarrassment, on the low side. Public Works employees receive the same multiplier, meaning they retire at the same rate as Police and Fire. They do have to work 30 years while we are doing 20, but our life expectancy after hazardous duty retirement is low. I urge you to get involved and be thankful for what your Union representation is doing.

12-19-2007, 12:37 AM
Thanks for the update. It looks like the pension issue is going to be a tough battle. I think this should be the biggest concern of EVERY officer. Forget your take home car. Forget fighting over a 3, 4, or 5 percent raise. Our multiplier is embarrassing! The fact a sanitation worker has the same multiplier should attract more support to fix this issue. Let us know what we can do to get this changed.

12-19-2007, 05:37 AM
It is obvious that the City hoodwinked us with stalling and promising to put issues on the referendum when they knew damn well that they weren't going to. I was pretty certain before that we were going to have to get nasty but now I am absolutely certain.

I understand that there is a business side to this and that they are paid to try and give us as little as possible but they ought to be least fair. It is a disgrace that our multiplier is what it is and out COLA is only 1.5%. That is not even half the rate of inflation. How much did they spend on the beautification of Cleveland Street which leads to nowhere. They are now going to spend millions on an equestrian park for whose benefit?

Screw that DROP plan now. I think we should unite as a group and insist on an increase in the multiplier or COLA. WE DESERVE it. A DROP plan doesn't cost them a thing and they want to break our stones over it. I say lets break their stones now.

Bargaining in good faith goes both ways. I guess they don't think it applies to them. So much for ONE CITY ONE FUTURE. :twisted: :twisted: