Locutus of the Borg
12-18-2007, 08:53 PM
Metro is inevitable.

12-18-2007, 10:48 PM
LOL!!! That's pretty good!

12-19-2007, 07:56 PM
go back to your own board...

12-20-2007, 01:48 AM
Actually, PCSO is shrinking....both in geographical area and in image. And, under current leadership, the PCSO appeal has lost its luster. Tax reform is no friend to the bottomless pit of PCSO.

12-20-2007, 01:01 PM
Actually, PCSO is shrinking....both in geographical area and in image. And, under current leadership, the PCSO appeal has lost its luster. Tax reform is no friend to the bottomless pit of PCSO.

Not to mention all of the problems they are having with their contract negotiations and the FOP. I wonder if they will ever get their 3%? And when they do, it still won't be retroactive...

I don't envy the deputies, but I sure wish them the best!

12-20-2007, 09:18 PM
Eventually the check writers (commission and the tax payer) will figure out that they are wasting millions of tax payer dollars each year funding a police department that offers redundant and, arguably, inferior services. Name a service that lpd provides that pcso does not. List the services that lpd does better than pcso. What? None?

Why are tax payers being charged for an additional chief and deputy chief, captains, lieutenants, sergeants, civilian managers, etc? They are an unnecessary layer to fund. All of the employees that qualify could find employment, including the members mentioned above. Eventually your members will be able to compete for the many investigator positions, sro positions, large traffic and dui units, as well as community policing assignments, which now number over thirty. How about the crime prevention and sexual predator units? There are the many court security positions, such as bailiff and pre-trial services sections. Don't forget the fugitive and civil sections of the court processing division. Did I mention the marine and environmental lands units, k-9, swat?
The Sheriff contracts for service with twelve cities and the airport. If you get bored or burned out in north county, bid for south or a contract city. One day, you might even be assigned to the city of largo. Regularly, there are requests for memos for transfer to all of the assignments listed
above. What's not to like? I guess if you've been at lpd for a while, the pension is a consideration. If you haven't been there more than a couple years, it's very attractive. The Sheriff pays your pension contribution. What? You hear people grumbling about the contract and other issues? I dare say there are grumblings at lpd about issues as well. Anyway, commissioners, tax payers, employees of lpd, reread the post. It's all true.

12-21-2007, 12:05 AM
1.) We have a charter police department which means it will require a vote from the citizens to get rid of the PD. Thank, God. Our citizens like and care about their PD. We thank you for your support.

2.) PCSO will tell you to stuff parking lot crashes, barking dogs and other low priority, nuisance calls where the sun does not shine. LPD responds to all of these calls for service and many more. This PD provides excellent service to our tax payers. The City of Largo has somehow managed to afford their PD and maintain one of the lowest tax bases in the county. Hmmmm. Must be magic.

3.) Ask Dunedin how they feel about giving up their PD. In off-the-record remarks, many city officials have expressed a deep and sincere regret regarding the loss of control and service they accepted when they closed their department down. In the past, it has been whispered that if it weren't for the start up cost to recreate the department, they would go back.

4.) The PCSO monetary shell-game (which has nothing to do with the hardworking deputies on the road) is a line of bull designed to sell their contracts. They lowball the first year and then demand astronomical increases each year after that until they get to the point where they can afford to do business.

5.) If all of the "extra" employees we keep on board are just going to be transferred to PCSO's employment, well, aren't the citizens of Largo going to still be paying their salary? Yes, they will. The extra staffing PCSO would have to hire (including civilian positions, command positions, etc.) in order to service our city would be funded by the citizens of Largo. You're lieing to people if you imply that they will no longer have to fund all of these positions just because PCSO comes in and takes over. Staffing is based on population. So you will have to hire X-number of deputies to police the population of Largo. Then you will require Y-number of sgts to manage those deputies, along with Z-number of Lt's to manage the sgts, etc, etc, etc, etc. The city will STILL be writing the check, they will just be writing it to the county instead of their own police department. And by the way, we happen to have one of the lowest officer-to-civilian ratios in the county. If PCSO comes in, they are going to DEMAND more deputies to service the city. So you will be paying more cops to do the job than you are now. Where's the savings? You're also going to buy a take home cruiser for each of the new deputies along with all of the equipment they require to do their job. The savings is all smoke and mirrors. It doesn't really exist. PCSO barely has enough deputies to cover the areas they are currently responsible for. It would require a massive hiring and training effort (both of which are VERY expensive) to get up to the staffing levels they need to serve our City.

This is not a knock on my brothers and sisters in green. You guys do an outstanding job and you have a solid, well-respected organization. We just do things differently and I think overall the citizens of Largo are pleased with our service.

12-21-2007, 03:03 AM
Bottom line........local control. Largo taxpayers want to say what the priorities are. The Sheriff has demonstrated that he answeres to no one.....he is a constitution officer....therefore he gets to set his own priorities, spend his money, go into the red, etc. as he sees fit. Deputies are good folks (for the most part), but local control is the issue. PCSO customer service sucks in general.

Please review the PCSO page for a glimpse into the perfect agency....NOT!

12-21-2007, 03:10 AM
Bottom line........local control.

Amen. The citizens pay a lot of money for law enforcement and should have a say in how things are done. PCSO will not be nearly as responsive to their needs as their own police department is.

12-21-2007, 01:03 PM
Spoken like folks who have only worked at lpd. When a city contracts for service they get what they want, as long as it is legal and ethical. No matter where you work, there are employees that have poor attitudes about code enforcement, barking dogs, domestics, crashes, etc. Look around, there's probably one or two on your shift. They don't speak for the agency, but they must be suffered until they leave or step on their reproducer and are sent packing. Check with some of the cities. They get what they want.

12-21-2007, 02:56 PM
to mr recent guest....This city WANTS it's own police department...nuff said!!!!

12-21-2007, 05:36 PM
I live in the City of Largo in a very nice neighborhood. I and my neighbors would vote in a heart beat for the Sheriff's Office to take over policing in the City of Largo. Many of us have had to call LPD for numerous reasons. If and when an officer from LPD would show up they routinely would be rude, arogant, and display an attitude of why are you bothering me. Any complaints made to supervisors or adminstration seem to fall on deaf ears or simply ignored. In addition we never see a LPD officer patroling our neighborhood.

I"AM sure both agenices have good and bad employees. But the Sheriff's Office has constantly demonstrated a true concern for the citizens even those that live within the city limits.

So I say bring on the Sheriff's Office ASAP. The down side will be that most officers with Largo would become deputies.

12-21-2007, 06:18 PM
Do you all test for employment? Don't you know that it's is a contraction of it is? The pronoun is its. It's never ends with you people. Is anyone there literate?

12-21-2007, 06:54 PM
I live in a bad nieghborhood and the last time I called about the hooker on my street LPD drove right pass her and kept going, so if it was put to a vote for bad service vs bad service at least let me save some money and bring the sheriff in. LPD at least wave back when a citizen waives instead of giving them a dirty look.

12-21-2007, 09:06 PM
If you worked a day in any officer that works for LPD you would see that the vast majority cares about doing the job and doing it as best they can. If you have a complaint then voice it to the chief...who unlike the sheriff you can actually get ahold of. Give an exact example of just when you have called in a hooker and LPD just drove by? As it has been stated a dozen times on this board...this is an anonymous posting and very easy to make things up or just start grumbling.

And to the person that said "unfortunately LPD would become deputies"...again work with some of those officers before you say that. Out of the 145 or so officers 135 of them are great cops. So grumble all you want, but the bottom line is that LPD does the best they can to take care of the city and the majority of citizens see..and appreciate that.

And again I say....go back to your own board PCSO...all you are doing is causing arguments and giving misleading information for your own amusement.

Be safe..ALL of you!

P.S.- If I made spelling or grammer errors..tough...this is a forum and not a college exam.

12-21-2007, 09:11 PM
If you live in a NICE neighborhood then maybe the police are not always in your neighborhood because it is not needed as much as it is in worse areas? There are only so many officers...deputies....troopers to go around. You have to use those resources where they do the most good...and sometimes that means that those nice areas get less attention. Call in your barking dog to a deputy...who..god bless them...are short staffed and have to drive a much further distance. See how long you wait for service...believe me I live in SO area and I KNOW how long it takes....

12-21-2007, 09:18 PM
I bet you that there is a GREAT chance that at least 1 of those largo "citizens" is actually one of the disgruntled posters that have been complaining in the other posts...I mean think about it...how many..true..average...non leo citizens post on this site? Or even know it exists...I would estimate that 96% of the people that read this stuff are attached to Law Enforcement in one way or another...especially if they are...as was said...from a "bad" area

12-21-2007, 09:25 PM
almost 15 years...that is how long I have heard that...every year..some over anxious...usually rookie PCSO deputy brings that up. This same poster posted on every single Pinellas county forum...and got a universal response..."ya right"....get over it...grow up....get a life..maybe some friends..or....maybe a girlfriend....

12-22-2007, 05:15 AM
PCSO can't even work their own accidents. We have to direct traffic for them, in their jurisdiction, until FHP gets there to work their accident. But somehow they are supposed to be more responsive...

12-27-2007, 05:45 PM
Everyone in law enforcement are brothers. We all need each other no matter what agency we fall under and work for no matter what we do! I enjoy law enforcement and will always stand for what is right. What is right here is we are all one big family. I don't know how to say it any better than that. :D :lol:

12-27-2007, 06:46 PM
How do the female officers feel about being regarded as brothers? If I were a female I would take exception to that. So, you could have said it better by just saying your family includes all officers, except retards and idiots, who, of course, have no place in our close knit family.

12-27-2007, 07:01 PM
How do the female officers feel about being regarded as brothers? If I were a female I would take exception to that. So, you could have said it better by just saying your family includes all officers, except retards and idiots, who, of course, have no place in our close knit family.

Well if women stayed off the job that wouldn't be a problem, now would it!?

12-27-2007, 07:18 PM
yeah! Who do those females think they are, males? Where did they get the idea that they have as much right to a police job as guys? Is it 1967 or 2007?

12-27-2007, 07:32 PM
yeah! Who do those females think they are, males? Where did they get the idea that they have as much right to a police job as guys? Is it 1967 or 2007?

It's not about the gender, it's about the ability. There are many guy's who shouldn't be cops but they are far outpaced by the women who should not be cops. They have the right to be cops, just be able to put me over your shoulder and carry me back to the car if I get shot. (For the record I am not overweight)

12-27-2007, 07:35 PM
Why did you place an apostrophe in guys? I bet the females know how to write.

12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
Why did you place an apostrophe in guys? I bet the females know how to write.

You have me there, I was not paying attention. Sorry about that, it still does not change the facts of what I said though.

12-27-2007, 09:30 PM
You did not provide facts. You offered an opinion, I suppose based upon your experiences. My experience is that brain power is more valuable than brute force. That's why you are given equalizers such as guns, pepper spray, batons, and tasers. I don't know how big you are guest, but there is always somebody larger and meaner out there. Pardon me while I freshen my make-up doll.

12-27-2007, 10:11 PM
We provided contract police services here in Palm Beach County and the citizens love us. We work our own crashes, and give the cities better service than they ever had with a PD. Overall; metro is the way to go. But, I agree with the Largo officers, don't low-ball the numbers. We provide services to the cities but they pay for it. It is cheaper to have the Sheriff, but make sure the rates are fair which our Sheriff does. The most expensive thing to cities is liability, pension and healthcare. If a Largo were to contract with the SO, and a Deputy shot someone is Largo the city cannot be held liable. That's a tremendous cost savings. Also with our city contracts, all city officers come over to the SO with sonority. The SO gives the citizens what they want to include the city leaders. We respond to all barking dog calls and our response time in our contract cities are a lot faster than other cities with their own PD. You can compare incorporated vs. unincorporated for response times. I don't know how it is there, but one thing is for sure a bigger agency is better for resources, bargaining, healthcare and so on. Stay safe.

12-27-2007, 11:52 PM
I like Largo, I like SO, as long as I am am taken care of my the group I work for, who cares what name I go by?

12-28-2007, 02:55 PM
mr/mrs "to guest" poster...

what's wrong with you? you actually had a two hour long conversation with yourself! the IP addresses show that each of the exchanges in your little discussion came from the same computer. you should really get a hobby or some medication.

12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Thank you doctor. What is an ip address?

01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Sorry for this guy starting B.S. on your board guys. We have people who like to stir the pot on both sides.. I work in the Largo area on Mids,,,and have always enjoyed our friendly waves and greetings when crossing paths.... You guys do do a great job and we do as well, nuff said.
Stay safe and look foward to seeing ya again, well all were the "badge" and got eachothers back,,,,

Pcso Deputy

01-01-2008, 01:41 PM
Sorry about the typo's on the above post,,,, did not proof read....lol

No, It's not because i'm used to calling my reports in :lol:

01-07-2008, 01:06 AM
Can you take Gillette back???? Waht was he deal with LPD????

01-08-2008, 05:15 PM

Actuallly if the crap hits the fan on January 29th it is you city agencies that will take it in the testicles, not us. I see PCSO growing with more city contracts because the coties will find it too costly to maintain their budgets. And what have we lost? LPD cant respond to its annexed areas without horrible response times or calling PCSO to go. Theres no chance that PCSO will ever dwindle away. With 11 contract cities and many county areas that are not going to be annexed or cant, its you city agencies that need to worry about your future. Not me :)

01-08-2008, 05:17 PM
PCSO can't even work their own accidents. We have to direct traffic for them, in their jurisdiction, until FHP gets there to work their accident. But somehow they are supposed to be more responsive...

Read your Florida Statutes there genius, FHP is responsible for crashes in the county, not us. And the day I see LPD standing by directing traffic for a deputy, I will eat my star.

01-08-2008, 05:23 PM
1.) We have a charter police department which means it will require a vote from the citizens to get rid of the PD. Thank, God. Our citizens like and care about their PD. We thank you for your support.

2.) PCSO will tell you to stuff parking lot crashes, barking dogs and other low priority, nuisance calls where the sun does not shine. LPD responds to all of these calls for service and many more. This PD provides excellent service to our tax payers. The City of Largo has somehow managed to afford their PD and maintain one of the lowest tax bases in the county. Hmmmm. Must be magic.

3.) Ask Dunedin how they feel about giving up their PD. In off-the-record remarks, many city officials have expressed a deep and sincere regret regarding the loss of control and service they accepted when they closed their department down. In the past, it has been whispered that if it weren't for the start up cost to recreate the department, they would go back.

4.) The PCSO monetary shell-game (which has nothing to do with the hardworking deputies on the road) is a line of bull designed to sell their contracts. They lowball the first year and then demand astronomical increases each year after that until they get to the point where they can afford to do business.

5.) If all of the "extra" employees we keep on board are just going to be transferred to PCSO's employment, well, aren't the citizens of Largo going to still be paying their salary? Yes, they will. The extra staffing PCSO would have to hire (including civilian positions, command positions, etc.) in order to service our city would be funded by the citizens of Largo. You're lieing to people if you imply that they will no longer have to fund all of these positions just because PCSO comes in and takes over. Staffing is based on population. So you will have to hire X-number of deputies to police the population of Largo. Then you will require Y-number of sgts to manage those deputies, along with Z-number of Lt's to manage the sgts, etc, etc, etc, etc. The city will STILL be writing the check, they will just be writing it to the county instead of their own police department. And by the way, we happen to have one of the lowest officer-to-civilian ratios in the county. If PCSO comes in, they are going to DEMAND more deputies to service the city. So you will be paying more cops to do the job than you are now. Where's the savings? You're also going to buy a take home cruiser for each of the new deputies along with all of the equipment they require to do their job. The savings is all smoke and mirrors. It doesn't really exist. PCSO barely has enough deputies to cover the areas they are currently responsible for. It would require a massive hiring and training effort (both of which are VERY expensive) to get up to the staffing levels they need to serve our City.

This is not a knock on my brothers and sisters in green. You guys do an outstanding job and you have a solid, well-respected organization. We just do things differently and I think overall the citizens of Largo are pleased with our service.

1) So what!?!? Referendum. Get used to that word. Cuz all your charter says is that LPD cannot be dismantled for a PCSO contract without a citizen vote. Without that in the charter your city commisioners could make that vote.

2) PCSO responds to any and all calls. We do not tell people to "stuff it" on any issue. If they want a deputy they get a deputy.

3) There is not a soul at dunedin that regrets anything. They enjoy the same input for the deputies and have more resources than before.

4) Oh now thats funny. The contracts reflect cost per deputy. Add it up and it blows away anything LPD costs to run. nice BS.

5) PCSO would keep your officers, if they are in good standing, but civilian staff would go bye bye. Keep lting to yourself buddy, your argument is just lame bravada and propaganda.

01-08-2008, 06:31 PM
[quote="Silly person":3kkjhiyp]1.) We have a charter police department which means it will require a vote from the citizens to get rid of the PD. Thank, God. Our citizens like and care about their PD. We thank you for your support.

1) So what!?!? Referendum. Get used to that word. Cuz all your charter says is that LPD cannot be dismantled for a PCSO contract without a citizen vote. Without that in the charter your city commisioners could make that vote.

2) PCSO responds to any and all calls. We do not tell people to "stuff it" on any issue. If they want a deputy they get a deputy.

3) There is not a soul at dunedin that regrets anything. They enjoy the same input for the deputies and have more resources than before.

4) Oh now thats funny. The contracts reflect cost per deputy. Add it up and it blows away anything LPD costs to run. nice BS.

5) PCSO would keep your officers, if they are in good standing, but civilian staff would go bye bye. Keep lting to yourself buddy, your argument is just lame bravada and propaganda.[/quote:3kkjhiyp]

I've done my research over here in Palm Beach county and Broward County, and it's proven time and time again Sheriff is cheaper and better to police a city. All the civilian staff was hired over here with every Department we merged with and it still saved the cities 2 - 3 million dollars not including liability, insurance, and pensions. Please stop posting BS propaganda because your pro city. It cost the city over 70% of the budget to operate a police and fire department. Its ridicules. A metro police department countywide is the way to go.

01-08-2008, 08:05 PM
Hmm...even if it would be better for the county that we go Metro...it is still a long ways away from now. The huge amount of time, money, and training that goes into disbanding each city PD, transfering responsibilties, trainining the new employees, etc is huge. I am sure all the "new" employees would still have to go through the medical, polygraph, mental exams, shooting quals, In House, etc. Dunedin had how many officers? Now imagine Pinellas Park with approximately 120, Largo with 155, Clearwater with what? 240? It is not as easy or as cheap as any of you deputies are saying. And it is also not as bad of an idea as a lot of the city cops think either.

Anyway...instead of going onto every single city forum and posting your arrogant posts and trying to start arguments...try doing something constructive with your time...go see a girl, drink a beer, go to the gym...or post something positive. Stop showing your A@es, grow up, and show us why you would be good co workers and not oboxious turds that think they rule the roost.

01-09-2008, 03:20 PM
Hmm...even if it would be better for the county that we go Metro...it is still a long ways away from now. The huge amount of time, money, and training that goes into disbanding each city PD, transfering responsibilties, trainining the new employees, etc is huge. I am sure all the "new" employees would still have to go through the medical, polygraph, mental exams, shooting quals, In House, etc. Dunedin had how many officers? Now imagine Pinellas Park with approximately 120, Largo with 155, Clearwater with what? 240? It is not as easy or as cheap as any of you deputies are saying. And it is also not as bad of an idea as a lot of the city cops think either.

Anyway...instead of going onto every single city forum and posting your arrogant posts and trying to start arguments...try doing something constructive with your time...go see a girl, drink a beer, go to the gym...or post something positive. Stop showing your A@es, grow up, and show us why you would be good co workers and not oboxious turds that think they rule the roost.

You're right. I'm going to the gym. Stay safe

01-10-2008, 02:58 PM
And the day I see LPD standing by directing traffic for a deputy, I will eat my star.

Where should we send the ambulance? You are going to choke on that thing.

01-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Can't just stay quiet can you? Just because they let you go infront of a camera once in awhile doesn't mean that you have to bad mouth us. This isn't even your section. You were always a whinner...how come I can't have the float car? Oh yeah, its just an OK neighborhood, don't over do it. quote="Largo Citizen"]I live in the City of Largo in a very nice neighborhood. I and my neighbors would vote in a heart beat for the Sheriff's Office to take over policing in the City of Largo. Many of us have had to call LPD for numerous reasons. If and when an officer from LPD would show up they routinely would be rude, arogant, and display an attitude of why are you bothering me. Any complaints made to supervisors or adminstration seem to fall on deaf ears or simply ignored. In addition we never see a LPD officer patroling our neighborhood.

I"AM sure both agenices have good and bad employees. But the Sheriff's Office has constantly demonstrated a true concern for the citizens even those that live within the city limits.

So I say bring on the Sheriff's Office ASAP. The down side will be that most officers with Largo would become deputies.[/quote]

01-22-2008, 01:07 PM
Speaking of not having enough staffing to handle your own calls, PCSO had to call us to help them shut down the Bayside bridge while they were dealing with a suicidal subject. We were there for over an hour! Then they had CPD closing off the bridge from the North.

Now please remind me again of which agency can't handle their own calls for service?

Thank You.

01-23-2008, 09:23 PM
I can't believe this thread is as long as it is...

Each agency has it's pros and cons. That being said, we are all on the same team. I wave to crusiers I see when I'm working regardless of the colors on the sides.

Each cop should respect the next, and it should be LEOs vs Bad guys. Not LEOs vs LEOs.

Stay safe.

01-24-2008, 03:36 PM
Amen. New thread.