PDA

View Full Version : What do you LIKE about your career?

12-17-2007, 08:12 PM
I see LOTS of threads and posts here *****ing about co-workers, officers, deputies, supervisors, etc.

In the spirit of the season, how about we post about what's RIGHT with our jobs? Yes, I know that no career or employer is perfect, but I for one am grateful to be in a profession where I make an immediate and (usually) positive impact in people's lives.

I am grateful to work with officer's who are polite on the radio and phone (citizens usually aren't) - for a supervisor who actually "lets" me do my job without constantly interfering (some supervisors micro-manage) - for a nice, clean, climate-controlled building (hey, we could be digging ditches in the Florida humidity!) - for a career with health insurance, paid holidays and vacation, retirement plan & more (we could be earning minimum wage without benefits or health insurance like millions do) - and for basically having a career that isn't driven by profit or the bottom line that would otherwise have me kissing butt to make a client happy.

If you're thinking I look through life through rose-colored glasses, or that I'm a newbie, or that I've never handled a shooting, pursuit or have not been to police funerals, you're wrong. I've been doing this career for 12 years and hope for at least 20 more.

Let's stop perpetuating the stereotype of being promiscuous, back stabbing, officer-hating dispatchers and instead... share our knowledge, experiences, success stories.

Tag... you're it.

Stay safe... and Merry Christmas!

12-17-2007, 10:37 PM
so nice to hear something positive for once! Where do you work?! We would like that positive thinking over here!

12-17-2007, 11:14 PM
so nice to hear something positive for once! Where do you work?! We would like that positive thinking over here!

I work at Lakeland PD and proud of it! (Now I'll be waiting for the snickering to stop.... :lol: )

I would love to see people working together - no matter what department you're in - leaning on each other during tough times - stuff like that. Believe me - I haven't had what you would call and easy life, but through CHOOSING to have a good attitude about my career has really made my life easier! Take care!

12-18-2007, 06:03 PM
I was working intake the other night and 911 rang. The ALI came up as the pay phone from Wal-Mart. It sounded like the caller disconnected, but I'm required to say my spiel anyway... instead of, "911 emergency, do you need police, fire or ambulance" this is what came out:

"911 emergency.... do you need police, fire, or Wal-Mart?"

We're adding it to our blooper tape.

12-20-2007, 09:51 PM
I've been a LEO dispatcher since 1992 and I still love it. I actually got out of it for about 2 years and tried to do a "normal" job but ended up going back to dispatching.

I think the best thing about my job is being able to help the citizens that acrtually need help. Such as sending an officer to do CPR before EMS or FD arrives or gettting an officer to the scene of a family disturbance with kids in the house.

I do get my share of idiots (officers and citizens) who don't know or care to know about dispatchers. But when you get the one call that you really make a difference with, it makes it all worthwhile.