PDA

View Full Version : Any Info On Protective Operations?

12-12-2007, 02:36 PM
What does it take to be considered for this postion and how hard is it to get selected if one applies? Anyone here ever be assigned to the POS detail and can give some info on the job, pay, possible overtime, and travel?

Thanks,
Guest21

12-13-2007, 02:06 AM
It sucks, Weekends, late nights, no OT !!!!!!

12-14-2007, 02:29 PM
There is a significant amount of night, weekend, and holiday work. The above quote is wrong, they do pay overtime.

The qualifications are the same as for Special Agent except you are required to run 4 miles in 36 minutes or less and they will cut you a little slack on investigative experience.

If you have question you should contact the POS supervisor, Special Agent Supervisor Gina Bevino at (850) 488-4661

12-18-2007, 06:57 PM
Thanks for the info.

I spoke to an agent who worked there recently and he stated there is good and bad about the detail. There is OT although there is also lots of travel hence why. There are also some really good intranational as well as international trips to some pretty cool places.

They now have Security Agents to work the mids and the Special Agents handle the day shift and travel. You do have a higher physical standard as stated above and must commit to a 3 year assignment.

Sounds pretty cool although might be a better deal for a single agent or atleast one with no kids.

12-22-2007, 03:37 PM
Three year assignment is for your first position with FDLE no matter what office you work in, Protective Ops, Miami, Orlando or whereever. There is A LOT of travel and A LOT of hours with Protective Ops. OT is not guaranteed, so don't figure on it. You have to be able to run 4 miles in 36 minutes or less...and this will be done PRIOR to you getting an offer from Protective Ops to come work there.

12-23-2007, 01:43 AM
I don't know what region you work in but they are hard pressed to find anyone who wants to go to POS.

12-23-2007, 05:40 PM
I have inquired around and found that it may be a neat assignment for a start. Great travel in-stae, nationally, and internationally (and some not so great = boring). OT....although you earn it with the crazy hours and long travel periods.

There are no more mids as the new Security Agent positions handle those as well as the travel midnight assignments. That leaves the Special Agents to handle days and the travel assignments.

I have also heard good things about the supervisors and those assigned there. Might be worth considering if an opening comes up and I ever get hired on with FDLE!!!!.

Anyone on here currently or recently assigned to POS that can give us a accurate description of the POS unit?

12-25-2007, 04:20 PM
The folks at Protective Ops are good people! The work can suck at times, but the people you work with make up for it. POS is a good opportunity if you are looking to get on with FDLE and not wait for a position in one of the regional and/or field offices.

12-29-2007, 03:25 AM
Could someone please clarify a few things for me. I am a S/A for the State with another agency. I was curious to find out if FDLE hires Special Agents right into protection. I also would like to know what ti difference is between a Special Agent and a Security Agent and how does one get hired as a Security Agent. Thank you in advance......

12-29-2007, 02:57 PM
Security Agents work midnight shifts and the Mansion only. They do not work the Governor or other dignitaries. Special Agents work the Governor and do all the advance work. When applying with FDLE if Protective Ops is something you're considering, put that as where you want to work. Another thing would be to talk directly to the SAS in charge and/or to one of the two Inspectors that supervise the squads.

12-29-2007, 06:42 PM
Thanks for the info. Greatly appreciated.