View Full Version : A memo on ignorance he calls unintentional

12-11-2007, 05:10 AM
City of Zephyrhills
Office of the City Manager

MEMO

To: Honorable Mayor and Members of the City Council
Subject: Zephyrhills Police Department Vehicle Purchase
Date: May 22, 2007

I believe you have received an e-mail from Jill Odom regarding irregularities with the purchase of three Crown Victoria vehicles by the Zephyrhills Police Department.

The department responded to a state bid proposal from the Florida Sheriff’s Association that was effective October 1, 2006 and good for one year. We purchased three Crown Victoria fleet vehicles (for marked police cars), two Ford 500 vehicles for use as detective vehicles and one E-250 Ford van for the Explorers and other uses. All six vehicles were purchased from Orville Beckford Ford-Mercury in Milton (outside of Pensacola).

The purchase of three Ford Crown Victoria vehicles for the Zephyrhills Police Department from Orville Beckford Ford deviated from the State of Florida Cooperative Bid by the Florida Sheriff’s Association, Bid #06-14-0821 in that Orville Beckford Ford, while an authorized dealer for other vehicles, was not selected as the bid award to sell the Crown Victoria vehicles. The selected dealers for those vehicles were Garber Ford Mercury, Inc., Duval Ford and Tropical Ford.

Orville Beckford Ford-Mercury was the awarded dealer for other vehicle purchases made by the City of Zephyrhills Police Department, including the Ford 500 vehicles and the Ford E-250 Cargo Van. While this award did deviate from the bid award and from city purchasing procedures, the bid price paid for the Crown Victoria vehicles was the same as if provided by Tropical Ford, the award dealer for the central zone of Florida. That award bid was $19,124 for the base vehicle. Further, the purchase of consoles for the three vehicles also violated city purchasing procedures in that the purchase did not comply with the requirement to obtain three quotes for equipment over $1,500. The consoles cost $556 each or $1,668. Advised of this, two additional quotes were received and the price of the consoles from Orville Beckford Ford was the best price. (Prices varied from $556 to $651 each.)

After being contacted by the press and discussing the issue with Finance and Purchasing, last Tuesday I contacted Lynn Meek, the vehicle bid coordinator for the Florida Sheriff’s Association and confirmed that the Crown Victoria purchase was not awarded to Orville Beckford Ford-Mercury. Vehicles may be purchased from any authorized awarded dealer, which are separated into zones across the state.

I believe it is inherent that Chief Barnes be held accountable for the irregularity of the process and deviation from the bid and purchasing procedures. Further, I believe Chief has established a precedent in violating purchasing procedures that must be recognized. As a result, I have issued a written reprimand to him for this violation of city policies.

I hope this clears up any questions you may have regarding this purchase. Please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or comments.

SO TELL ME AGAIN WHO, WHEN AND WHAT I DONT KNOW????? IT AINT NO SECRET chefyS THE MORON AND YOU ARE TOO!!!!

08-02-2008, 04:32 PM
HMMMMM........

08-03-2008, 10:17 PM
You know nothing ah ha ha ha

08-04-2008, 11:02 AM
Come on Clem, You can give a better reply than that. Can't you?