PDA

View Full Version : Grimming for Sheriff!!!

11-30-2007, 04:57 PM
On March 1, 1993, Ronald H. Grimming was selected as the new FHP Director. Colonel Grimming served more than 22 years with the Illinois State Police and came up through the ranks serving in a wide range of law enforcement services in that agency. He retired as the Deputy Director of the Division of State Troopers with the Illinois State Police.
Colonel Grimming became the first Director in FHP history to be selected from outside the ranks of the Florida Highway Patrol. Colonel Grimming brought many innovations to the agency as well as a national reputation of being a knowledgeable law enforcement administrator.
In April 1993, under the direction of Colonel Grimming, the Drug Interdiction Program was reactivated and reorganized. Colonel Grimming, noting Florida was still a primary entry point for the importation of illicit drugs, directed the troop commanders to reactivate the remaining felony teams and empowered troop commanders to intensify their patrol efforts to include detecting and apprehending motor vehicle drug couriers. Colonel Grimming gave new direction to the program by appointing a statewide interdiction coordinator and keeping the felony teams assigned to their respective troops.
Each team member receives specialized training relative to search and seizure, interdiction techniques, drug identification, and interview and interrogation as well as other specialized training.
They are cross designated as United States Customs Officers under the FHP agreement with the U. S. Customs and the Blue Lightning Strike Force. The 31 felony teams are comprised of 68 FHP specially trained troopers designed as felony officers.
The Patrol seeks out the best canines available pursuant to its stringent guidelines. Each canine handler and their assigned canine are trained and certified as a team pursuant to guidelines established by the Florida Department of Law Enforcement. Currently there are 39 canines on patrol.
After 50 years of tradition, the campaign hat introduced by Colonel H. Neil Kirkman, was changed to the "Smoky Bear" type hat which is black in color, providing a contrast that matches the epaulets and piping around the pockets.
In May of 1994, the Florida Highway Patrol was in for a change in hats. Studies showed the Campaign hat provided more protection from Florida's cancerous ultraviolet sun rays than other law enforcement hats. In addition, a 1989 Ball State University study of seven types of police uniform hats rated the Campaign hat #1 for providing officers with the most authoritative and commanding presence, and showed the wearing of uniform hats a positive effect on the public's image of police officers.
Being primarily a traffic oriented organization, the FHP has traditionally utilized fixed-wing aircraft for search, rescue, drug surveillance, and traffic patrol and enforcement. While there are ten (10) fixed wing planes still in use, the Patrol recognized that its role in other law enforcement functions was increasing and the need for another type of aircraft was needed to supplement our air operations resources.
Many of our fixed wing aircraft are equipped with Lo-Jack Stolen Vehicle Recovery Systems and have been responsible for the location and recovery of a record number of motor vehicles during this past year.
To compliment our flight section, we now have three Bell OH-58 A+, light observation jet turbine helicopters capable of operating at remote sites (off airport), at night and from a hover to 110 knots airspeed. The helicopters are LO-Jack equipped, have a 30,000 candlepower "Night Sun" spotlight system, and UHF/VHF and 800 megahertz radio systems for communication. The first such craft was assigned to Troop K.
The helicopters are used on patrol and for special details such as the Olympic Soccer Venue and the Valu Jet Flight 592 crash site. South Florida's A-17 played a major role in the recovery efforts, investigation, scene security, and other special assignments at the Valu Jet crash site.
They have conducted surveillance/photography missions for ATF in a domestic terrorism (militia) weapons case. Helicopters were used in Hurricane "Opal" relief efforts, Homestead and Daytona Race Details, and were instrumental in the apprehension of a suspect who had shot and mortally wounded a Ft. Lauderdale Police Officer.
In addition to the helicopter in south Florida, a second one is assigned to Troop B in Lake City and a third is assigned to Troop A in Pensacola. This latter ship is crewed in a cooperative effort between the FHP and Escambia County Sheriff's Office. The pilot is a FHP Flight Officer and the observer is an Escambia County Deputy Sheriff.
Our aircraft section is a force multiplier and assists and provides air support for our troopers throughout the state. Funding for conversion of the helicopters was obtained from the Turnpike Authority, Department of Corrections, and the Escambia County Sheriff's Department.
Another challenge facing the agency was the Commission on Accreditation for Law Enforcement Agencies (CALEA) in which the Patrol began the long enduring process under the leadership of Colonel Bobby R. Burkett, it gained prominence nationally by becoming the 13th state police/highway patrol agency to achieve national accreditation.

11-30-2007, 08:46 PM
i hear he did a lot of good things for the patrol. he's got my vote.

12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
You hear he did good things for the Patrol, can you enlighten me, and why is he not still their if he was so great?

12-09-2007, 05:08 PM
Check the post about Ron Grimming on the FHP forum under his name. Wow impressive

12-19-2007, 01:40 PM
Ron Grimming will be the best thing that EVER happened to the Highlands County SO. Just contact him and have a chat - you will see!

01-06-2008, 04:03 PM
And what about Mike Brown.

01-11-2008, 08:07 AM
You hear he did good things for the Patrol, can you enlighten me, and why is he not still their if he was so great?

He got fired for pissing off the sheriffs by trying to create a state police with troopers. He's from Illinois and hates GOBs. That's most of us.

01-11-2008, 02:10 PM
Do you have documentation or newspaper articles to back this up? I have searched and have found nothing about him pissing anyone off or getting fired.
Have you ever spoken to this man?
I feel that you are listening to idle gossip and people who just are afraid to be made to do their jobs.

01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
The previous poster is correct. Those who work for Grimming are or will be held accountable to do their job. There will be no Good ole Boy or even Good ole Girl system. It will be an agency of professional Officers that are hired to do a job. If you read Grimming's resume you will see he is the Colonel that got FHP accredated. Talk to anyone who knows or has worked under him they will tell you he is an open book with an open door. The next 10 months will show it. Give him a call...

01-11-2008, 04:42 PM
THANK YOU ACCOUNTABLE!
I have found his site that he is using to run for office.

www.rongrimming.com (http://www.rongrimming.com)

It seems to me that people from a place that they run for office mean well, but then people may have something from their past to hold over their heads to get what they want. I feel that Ron Grimming is not from here and he will have no problem enforcing all policies and rewarding those who follow and go above their call to duty. He would not be able to be waivered about anything, no matter who it was.

01-13-2008, 01:56 PM
I read Grimmings web site and I have noticed one thing that all in road patrol should look at, He never worked the road. His career started as an investigator. He has no experience on the road on so how does he know what they need?

01-13-2008, 05:51 PM
Just because he has never been on the road doesn't mean he doesn't know what a road patrolman needs. I've never been a DARE Officer so does that mean I don't know they need to attend DARE training or updates relating to their expertise? I would imagine a law enforcement professional with his vast past jobs and training knows what it means to be a road patrolman. Its not like its rocket science. Give them a car, a belt with the tools of the trade, a computer, a pen, applicable report forms, send them to the occassional school, and off you go. What else is there? If that is the only flaw you see in his resume then that's pretty impressive!

01-13-2008, 06:14 PM
I agree with doodle bops. I would also like to point out, Like OK stated, that he started as an investigator. I believe that durring his investigations he would be able to see what helped the officers, and what would have helped the officers do their jobs better. An investigator has the time to anylize every aspect of the incident. This probably helped him realize what is needed by officers to do their jobs.
It is not rocket sciencstry but it does take someone to pay attention. I think he probably pays very much attention. I also beleive this is a guy who listens to everyone, right down to the newest officer, for a good idea. And with his experience he would be able to either say, "GOOD IDEA" or, "That won't work because of this law or that law." Thats where the experience and knowledge would come into play.

01-13-2008, 08:26 PM
Re-check his credentials, he was the Major in charge of the ISP uniform division. Full service police functions, not just crashes and utc's. I guess that would also encompass uniformed tactical patrol units that augmented Chicago P.D. and other urban areas.

01-14-2008, 01:09 AM
I guess "OK" is all out of excuses other than to just Vote for Grimming.

01-14-2008, 01:19 AM
I think that everyone here is searching for the best person. I agree that there is no excuse not to vote for Grimming. This guy is the answer for Highlands county.

01-14-2008, 01:07 PM
well if road experience is a qualification, did your current sheriff start out here as a road patrol officer?

01-14-2008, 05:51 PM
Ron Grimming is a gift to Highlands County. This is where his in-laws live and he has visited this area for many years, and finally decided to move here permanently. Just contact him and set up a meeting to talk to him. You will be impressed, no doubt. He will be a GREAT Sheriff.

deputy dog69
01-14-2008, 09:19 PM
First thing, the suspicious portion of me thinks this post( especially the first part ) sounds a lot like a free political ad for Mr. Grimming. Gee you don't think he ( or his friends ) would try and influence anyone by using this message board? Second, Sgt. Black you have been around here long enough to know where the current sheriff has served in the agency or not. Shouldn't you try and establish a "retired" Sebring Police Department post, so you can slam your own.

01-14-2008, 09:51 PM
Just because he has never been on the road doesn't mean he doesn't know what a road patrolman needs. I've never been a DARE Officer so does that mean I don't know they need to attend DARE training or updates relating to their expertise? I would imagine a law enforcement professional with his vast past jobs and training knows what it means to be a road patrolman. Its not like its rocket science. Give them a car, a belt with the tools of the trade, a computer, a pen, applicable report forms, send them to the occassional school, and off you go. What else is there? If that is the only flaw you see in his resume then that's pretty impressive

Wow you must be a great law enforcement officer if you think road patrol is that easy. I believe road patrol given a law enforcement office a great base to build from. I to compare working in Dare to working on road patrol is not apples and oranges. Look at a total picture and given an opinion dont attack. I have heard many people complain about new deputies getting different spots in this agency who have experience in other departments. So this is the reason I placed my post. But to say you dont need to start on the road, please. You can learn al lot from a book but theres no experience like the road.

01-15-2008, 03:26 AM
Don't worry DJ- I understood it.

The point that he was proving, you obviously missed. He was not taking a shot, but rather proving his point with out having to s-p-e-l-l it out for the remedial types. :roll:

01-15-2008, 11:38 AM
First thing, the suspicious portion of me thinks this post( especially the first part ) sounds a lot like a free political ad for Mr. Grimming. Gee you don't think he ( or his friends ) would try and influence anyone by using this message board? Second, Sgt. Black you have been around here long enough to know where the current sheriff has served in the agency or not. Shouldn't you try and establish a "retired" Sebring Police Department post, so you can slam your own.

Well, its not a free add, Mr. suspicious. I posted it because of all of the questions that people were posting in other threads. I searched and copied it and pasted it right out of the FHP website.
I see your other post in another thread that says that Sheriff Benton will be the sheriff as long as she decides to be.
Sometimes people don't agree with the way someone is, but since it doesn't effect them, they don't care. I think that you see what is going on, but it doesn't effect you so you don't care. You just glide right through, do you 8 or 12 hours and go home, nothing more. That is ok, the department will keep people like this for the numbers and you have a role here as backup.

deputy dog69
01-15-2008, 02:28 PM
Wow, that some explaination "Guest, I did not say it was anything inappropriate only that the post looked suspicious. If you want to support Grimming go ahead. I have been around long enough to roll with the changes and I can adjust. "If" you work for HCSO and you think it's so bad move on. I don't agree with everything that happens at HCSO and I am affected by the same things you are, however I have been around long enough to know there is no perefect agency or leader of one. If Grimming wins the election I hope you are happy with the bad that comes with it, along with what good you think he will bring. Oh by the way I am a 12 hour shift road deputy and you can kiss my back-up ***.

01-15-2008, 03:17 PM

well deputy dog69, one thing is correct in your statement, i have been around long enough to know where sheriff BENTON STARTED , I was at the sheriff's department when she started, and to correct you I wasn't slammin anyone in your department, ut I could but I am also above those tactics. I will slam you in your face not on this board, and as you know from one of the previuos post i'm not afraid to let you know my name,real name that is not some screen name to hide behind.

I know Sheriff Benton has done some great things for you guys at the sheriff's department, but for someone to mention her running opponent not having road experience, they must not know much about her road experince that's the point i was making. And like I SAID BEFORE I DON'T HAVE A DOG IN YOUR DEPARTMENT'S FIGHT, BUT I DO HAVE AN OPINION AND I WILL VOICE IT TO YOU FACE TO FACE OR IF YOU'RE AFRAID I'LL DO IT ON HERE SO NO ONE KNOWS WHO YOU ARE.

And by the way I DON'Ts need to slam anyone at the Sebring P.D. THE LORD ABOVE WILL SLAM THEM.

01-15-2008, 03:20 PM

01-15-2008, 11:33 PM
I was merely commenting on your post because you made the quote, he never worked on the road so how does he know what they need. Are the tools I mentioned not the tools of the trade? I never said it was easy to be a road patrolman. I think its one, if not the, hardest, thankless, job at the Sheriff's Office. The job of "Office of the Sheriff" can go to a civilian if elected with no law enforcement experience.

If you read on, you'll find Ron Grimming was ...

Deputy Director, Illinois State Police, Division of State Troopers, Springfield, Illinois

Direct the Illinois State Police patrol function consisting of approximately 1500 sworn officers and 450 civilian support personnel assigned to the Field Operations and Staff Services Commands with an annual budget of 110 million dollars. Oversee the activities of these Commands responsible for providing primary and secondary response through patrol, preliminary investigative services, tactical response teams, highway drug interdiction programs, vehicle anti-theft programs, traffic control/enforcement, traffic accident investigations, second division vehicle enforcement, an advanced telecommunications network and public safety/awareness programs.

Mr. Grimming also was the Deputy Director for the Illinois State Police Academy, so to say he doesn't know what a road patrol officer needs is proposterous.

Their was no comparison made in my post between the road and DARE. It was merely an analogy to show you don't have to have worked there to understand the job. Just because Mr. Grimming has not worked in a particular assignment does not mean he can't lead there. I don't believe Sheriff Benton has ever ran behind a bloodhound or deployed a Patrol dog. That does not mean she doesn't know how to lead them or know what they need. If she has, I apologize Dear Sheriff.

My post was generated merely to point out your post was not well thought out, not factual, and untrue. And... I have not begun to attack you, oh, I am a great law enforcement officer. You said so.
[/img]

01-17-2008, 01:16 AM
My post was generated merely to point out your post was not well thought out, not factual, and untrue. And... I have not begun to attack you, oh, I am a great law enforcement officer. You said so.
[/img]
First of all please point out the untruths in my post.

It is my opinion that a good law enforcement leader needs road experience. In my career I have seen several leaders and many of them with little to no experience, on the road, were bad leaders. No thought of the road and a poor outlook on what the road has to deal with. Does that mean Grimming is this way, NO. But it is something to take into account when thinking of voting.

If you would like to see an example just talk to some boys in blue and ask about their leader who has Dare experience and very little road experience. I bet thay dont give him a great review.

01-17-2008, 11:53 AM
I already pointed out the untruths about your post. I have no idea who your talking about "Boys in blue". Can you get over the DARE thing? It is just an example just as K-9 was. It has no relevence other than to contradict your statement. You obviously cannot comprehend this. NOW I have attacked you. He DOES HAVE ROAD EXPERIENCE, ITS IN MY POST WHICH WAS TAKEN FROM HIS WEBSITE. What part of this don't you understand? This is making my head hurt!

01-17-2008, 11:59 AM
The State Police Agencies up north do not only work traffic. They work crimes like we do. They are not the Florida Highway Patrol. Did you not get this?

01-18-2008, 02:17 AM
Im sorry I see in your post were he worked as a director. No mention of road experience. I left an opinion like everyone else, So if you like him VOTE of him. I pointed out one FACT..Thank you for your concern for my opinion.

01-18-2008, 11:58 AM
Its obvious you cannot comprehend that experience in a certain field can mean being a leader over it as well as taking a dog complaint or writing tickets. I'm sure he has worked the road in the Illinois State Police prior to being anything else, he just didn't write it. Why don't you email him on his website and find out. Your post was not an opinion, it was stated as a matter of fact which was not true. This could go on and on and on. An opinion would have been, "I don't think his road experience is vast enough to be the Sheriff of Highlands County". Not, he doesn't have any road experience. SFCC offers English 1 and English II. Sign up. Your welcome, I love responding to you.

01-20-2008, 12:41 AM
Well Doodle I guess an attack is all you can do. My opinion was I think he should have road experience to be an effective leader. I stated in my first post, I read his web site and it does not say anything about working the road. It states he started as an investigator.

So I will refrain from attacking you in ajuvenile way and try to keep this posting section as a way to communicate.

Thanks for your opinion, but I do not lie.

01-25-2008, 12:08 AM
Ask Ron Grimming about his tenure as an SAO investigator. Dropping Affidavits on LEOs over a BS situation, and arresting those LEOs....only to have it all wash away because he really had no good PC (among other things). The product of his poor investigation- bottom line.

There are plenty out there that are wise to his past and "know better". All public record, so feel free to dig.

Question we have to ask ourselves is "Is he better than the alternative?"

01-31-2008, 08:49 PM
There is nobody running for Highlands County Sheriff with more ethics, honesty, experience, and energy than Ron Grimming. Just contact him and set up a meeting to see for yourself - you won't be disappointed.

02-01-2008, 10:56 PM
Just what we need is another out of towner coming into our area thinking he knows whats in our best intrests. We dont need someone that does not need the job but would rather have it more as a hobby and as a power trip. This man is so used to being top dog that it was inevitable that he would run for the "top dog" position here. What is needed is someone who knows this county, has been here for longer than a few years, and is in tune with what the citizens and HCSO employees are trying to accomplish. When Benton took over HCSO she had to start at the bottom, and in four years has done a tremendous job of bringing HCSO out of the cellar and put them on track to where it should have been, had it not been for 16 years of good ole boy attitudes and decision making (or lack there of). Grimming is another good ole boy, just from a larger arena. Yes, he may have experience and knowledge that could benifit Highlands County, but at what cost? Sheriff Benton has done a great job and deserves to continue what has been set in motion. Hopefully the voters of Highlands County will see Grimming for what he is and re-elect Benton.

02-02-2008, 01:41 AM
the last post makes me wonder if this is a person that has actually worked under the current sheriff. i agree that she has brought the so to the current century. a much needed change. however anyone put under the radar for any reason that has worked at the sheriffs office knows that she allows the higher ups to harrass, discriminate, and throw people under unnecessary i.a.s when an employee tries to bring this to her attention they are given no courtesy and pretty much dismissed. rules are made to fit certain people and not enforced on others. the administration expects their employees to maintain professionalism at all times. yet they are not included in that. as i do work there and have seen certain higher ups preaching at certain individuals about professionalism and in the same hour falsify reports to cover themselves. double standard thats what that place is made of. we need a sheriff that listens when his employees talk and not just the administration when they have a personal dig with someone. i think 90 percent of the employees have been harassed or discriminated against at one point or another. just a thought to ponder on. i am not throwing punches and anyone who works there knows everything on this post is nothing but the truth. they pay is well. but well deserved also.

02-02-2008, 12:41 PM
Well deputydog69, i've been waiting for a response from you. Guest you don't have one, and since you know who i am. whenever you have time , you can stop by my house and we can discuss this matter face to face. i will keep your id to myself. i have plenty of time on my hand since i don't have to put up with police work anymore. don't get me wrong, i still respect and like some of you guys and they know who they are and if you're one of the ones i've known for quite some time, i hope you stop by so we can chat.

02-08-2008, 10:15 AM
I have recently had the pleasure of meeting both Ron Grimming and his wife. I read his bio on rongrimming.com. besides his bio i discussed many issues, not just withing handling the communit but his views in running th jail and road. I was impressed to say the lease. He is a very well educated man. I was very impressed with his views and he was given different scenerios and asked many quiestions and and every answer was that of a true leader. He has some great ideas regarding pay, retirement and most of all a big advocate for consistancy. which any one who works there know that there is absolutely no consistancy whatsoever. The captain makes rules as he goes along applying them to who he sees fit. You will see him chewing one person out for something you will see him doing himself with other people. I think ron grimming is well needed changed for the dept. he has my support and if you have any doubts check out his website and arrange a meeting or phone conversation with him. You wont be dissapointed. I hope he gets it.

02-09-2008, 12:59 AM
Ok lets be serious!
The Sheriff has done some good with in HCSO. The honeymoon period is over and has been for sometime. There are people in some positions that do not belong there. If those people were removed somethings would get better ( prime example: Major being gone = a rise in morale).
But lets face it the way it is, is the way that it will stay. For us the only thing that makes sense is to take away the Good Ole' (BOY or GIRL) connections.
Grimming has good ideas and a lenghty resume to back it up.
I think for the best of the department an outsider(as some say) to make it better for the majority of the employees.
Visit Grimming's website. Call him he will talk and he will listen. Make a informed decision.

04-02-2008, 02:46 AM
:shock: Grimming for Sheriff? PLEASE why would we want a Sheriff that makes comments and statements without checking into any facts????
We do not need a new building that we out grew what over 5 years ago.
OH lets not forget why spend any more money on equipment or technology or training or more personnel I mean after all just becuase when Sheriff Benton took over we were ten years behind the times. After all we are just a little Sh?t county with dumb ass citizens that want our towns over run with out the security of enough HCSO employees to keep up with the ever growing population and why would we want to keep our Highlands County citizens safe and secure. WHY should we want technology to catch the bad guys or keep our deputies safe after all safety is not our first concern SAVING MONEY AND MAKING FRIENDS that is what we need our Sheriff to be concerned with - After all - we don't live here - our children are not growing up here our families don't live here. Oh wait YES THEY DO. The world is changing every day and it is not for the better. When 9 11 happened I remember thinking OH GOD PLEASE DO NOT LET ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN in Highlands County - WE ARE SO NOT READY!!! Sheriff Benton was then elected I sure feel more secure now than I did then. The privous "good old boys" made little if any improvements and our equipment and technology was so far behind the times - IT WAS PLUM EMBARASSING! Now someone says lets vote for someone who talks without knowing any FACTS - YEAH HE IS TALKING BUT NOT OUT OF HIS MOUTH! LET SHERIFF BENTON FINISH THE JOB SHE STARTED NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO ALWAYS AGREE WITH THE TOP not every time - HOWEVER WE NEED SOMEONE NOT AFRAID TO FIGHT FOR HCSO AND HIGHLANDS COUNTY AND THAT SOMEONE IS SHERIFF SUSAN BENTON! [/b]

04-02-2008, 01:28 PM
:shock: Grimming for Sheriff? PLEASE why would we want a Sheriff that makes comments and statements without checking into any facts????
We do not need a new building that we out grew what over 5 years ago.
OH lets not forget why spend any more money on equipment or technology or training or more personnel I mean after all just becuase when Sheriff Benton took over we were ten years behind the times. After all we are just a little Sh?t county with dumb ass citizens that want our towns over run with out the security of enough HCSO employees to keep up with the ever growing population and why would we want to keep our Highlands County citizens safe and secure. WHY should we want technology to catch the bad guys or keep our deputies safe after all safety is not our first concern SAVING MONEY AND MAKING FRIENDS that is what we need our Sheriff to be concerned with - After all - we don't live here - our children are not growing up here our families don't live here. Oh wait YES THEY DO. The world is changing every day and it is not for the better. When 9 11 happened I remember thinking OH GOD PLEASE DO NOT LET ANYTHING LIKE THAT HAPPEN in Highlands County - WE ARE SO NOT READY!!! Sheriff Benton was then elected I sure feel more secure now than I did then. The privous "good old boys" made little if any improvements and our equipment and technology was so far behind the times - IT WAS PLUM EMBARASSING! Now someone says lets vote for someone who talks without knowing any FACTS - YEAH HE IS TALKING BUT NOT OUT OF HIS MOUTH! LET SHERIFF BENTON FINISH THE JOB SHE STARTED NO ONE IS EVER GOING TO ALWAYS AGREE WITH THE TOP not every time - HOWEVER WE NEED SOMEONE NOT AFRAID TO FIGHT FOR HCSO AND HIGHLANDS COUNTY AND THAT SOMEONE IS SHERIFF SUSAN BENTON! [/b]

Grimming has forgotten more about law enforcement than Benton ever knew.

04-02-2008, 11:18 PM
Hey in the know,

I'm In The Know Too, and your a knot head. You grew out of the building because Benton tripled the size of the administration. How ridiculously stupid you sound. I hope you have better arguments than this and you say Grimming neads to do his research. Once again your a knot head.

I'm lookking foward to more of your stupidity. [/b]

04-03-2008, 01:27 AM
benton only makes the decisions her admin tells her too. wether they are right or wrong. talk about make an informed decision. call and meet with grimming before spouting off. i did and was very impressed not only with his knowledge, but his plans of NEW EQUIPMENT, RAISES and his disciplinary system plans. not that the so has one now. they discipline who they want at the extreme they want. He has more professionalism in his little finger than benton does in her entire body.

04-03-2008, 11:33 PM
Yeah you are so very impressive I just love beligerent bullies that resort to name calling when some one has another opinion. Especially when they use impressive words like KNOT HEAD and STUPID. Way to go I am impressed. I also love when someone moves to our county and wants to run for sheriff and determines that the HCSO building is adequate without ever having been inside the building. Can you deny that Grimming has never been iside the HCSO? I think it would have got around if that was the case. I do not know about your insurance but I know what I pay
for insurance and prescriptions - just prescriptions alone cost over $3000.00 last year - ENOUGH SAID!!!

04-05-2008, 01:03 AM
In the know

Great article in the paper, MISSING EVIDENCE, holy S#@*. I can't wait to hear your pathetic excuses for this one. Wait a moment and let me save you from more stupidity. The EVIDENCE FAIRY took it. Now I am more than embarrassed to work here.

Somebody save this agency from further incompetence. Look at ASA remarks not good for the home front. How could this happen if the good Sheriff completed annual evidence audits like she stated in the paper two weeks ago. I SMELL RATS.

Somebody get elected "quick"

04-05-2008, 02:42 AM
It is funny that she just stated to the newspaper earlier that the audits came back perfect but now there's evidence missing. A firearm in evidence might of been accidently destroyed? Then she says she makes the excuse that she's understaffed. It's funny, I see brass running all over the place. Maybe there's too many chiefs and not enough indians.

08-10-2008, 03:01 PM

He got fired for pissing off the sheriffs by trying to create a state police with troopers. He's from Illinois and hates GOBs. That's most of us.

No you are incorrect..... He did NOT get fired.... He resigned due to the fact that he had info/intell. on the Executive Director at the DHSMV. He could not get those idiots on the "hill" in Tallahassee to step up and conduct a proper investigation, he also wanted MORE troopers on the road, and was told NO. He also wanted to boost the Troopers salary's again he was told no. He wanted to modernize the FHP and was met with neagativity. so he said he could do othet things with his talent.

Check the facts OR even better...... call him ... he will talk to you and WILL tell you the truth !!! He is a great leader, and I am voting for him !!!!!! We need some NEW blood in Highlands County !!!!!!

08-10-2008, 06:25 PM
Thanks Ron for the timely response :roll:

08-14-2008, 12:21 AM
Looks like Grimming is getting more signs out in the yards and road ways. I have been counting some and they are in yards of people that are high on the food chain. What do you think?
:D

08-14-2008, 12:49 AM
Looks like Grimming is getting more signs out in the yards and road ways. I have been counting some and they are in yards of people that are high on the food chain. What do you think?

Have you been counting "some" or all of them? Since you were so gracious to ask what I think, I will tell you what I think. :devil: You need to get a life you yard sign stalker you.

not suprised
08-14-2008, 02:50 AM
I could only hope that the community is not still so blinded by the Sheriff!

08-14-2008, 10:28 PM
:idea: With regards to the "blind" comment and the yard sign pervert who previously submitted, I offer this conclusion; some guys use Playboy to you know, some guys use drivers license photos :shock:, and now some get off by counting campaign signs. Remember guys, this type of behavior can make you go "blind". :lol: :lol:

08-15-2008, 02:21 AM
:idea: With regards to the "blind" comment and the yard sign pervert who previously submitted, I offer this conclusion; some guys use Playboy to you know, some guys use drivers license photos :shock:, and now some get off by counting campaign signs. Remember guys, this type of behavior can make you go "blind". :lol: :lol:

What a brilliant well thought out comment ...ja

08-20-2008, 01:37 AM
From Miami Dade:

The real Ron Grimmngs is a person that will be controlling, big ego, and only wants his way. Just ask all the people that dealt with him at Miami Dade Community College. This guy does not have his priorities straight and Highland County is in for a rude awakening. He is vindictive and will go after cops. He is not a real cop.

Deputies be afraid of this person he is a snake in the grass.

08-20-2008, 06:14 AM
From Miami Dade:

The real Ron Grimmngs is a person that will be controlling, big ego, and only wants his way. Just ask all the people that dealt with him at Miami Dade Community College. This guy does not have his priorities straight and Highland County is in for a rude awakening. He is vindictive and will go after cops. He is not a real cop.

Sounds like the biography of the "major" problem.

08-20-2008, 11:10 PM
From Miami Dade:

Sounds more like a disgruntle employee who was held accountable..

I worked for the man, you must be talking about a different person.

JOE

08-20-2008, 11:57 PM
Brothers and Sisters,

This man is not the man you think he is. He will take out an officer in a heart beat. He is all about himself.

08-21-2008, 12:32 AM
If you know so much about Mr. Grimming you must have worked for him in the past.

If so, you no longer work for the man so why do you hide behind a pen name.

If he were to become your boss that means you work at the S.O. and there is no one currently working at the S.O. who has ever worked for Mr. Grimming in the past.

So how do you know so much? Is this hearsay which we all know is not much more than a rumor. Many people have talked with Mr. Grimming and we feel that those who have talked with him will vote for him.

So please, if you have cold hard proof of your accusations let the public know.

08-21-2008, 12:54 PM
Ask Ron Grimming about his tenure as an SAO investigator. Dropping Affidavits on LEOs over a BS situation, and arresting those LEOs....only to have it all wash away because he really had no good PC (among other things). The product of his poor investigation- bottom line.

There are plenty out there that are wise to his past and "know better". All public record, so feel free to dig.

Question we have to ask ourselves is "Is he better than the alternative?"

How about this, Guest II. Someone pointed this out and no one answered to it. I heard about this too and it was a minor league move for sure- Sold some LEOs down the river, NO PC, and damn lucky he was not spanked too badly for it. All about appearances and saving face. I guess he thought he could get away with it down there in the Keys.........

08-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Someone please get that face lifted, titty flashing, Sheriff out of office before she brings us all down

08-22-2008, 09:11 PM
Has Grimming ever even been anything besides AAA with a badge??? If not than he knows nothing about what we do. You know, kind of like the freakin know it alls in our community that have fooled themselves into thinking they know what it is we do and how to be a cop.

08-22-2008, 10:43 PM
If you will a do a little research you will find that Mr. Grimming worked his way up through the ranks in the Illinois State Police to the rank of Assistant Director. He was then appointed to the Director of the Florida State Patrol. By the way, he was the only person to have come from out of the Trooper Ranks to ever become the Director. If all of those people in Tallahasse thought he would make a great Director I think he can perform the duties of sheriff. So to answer your question, Yes I think he has earned his credit for service and will make a fine Sheriff of Highlands County.

08-22-2008, 11:52 PM
Thank you Ron for referencing yourself as "Mr. Grimming". Although you have in deed done what you say you did, you left out what you did (or should I say all of the victims of your ego) to get to the top. People of Highlands County, you have no idea what is in store for you if he wins. More to come.

08-23-2008, 02:22 AM
I has been quite sometime since I worked for and spoke with Ron Grimming, (sometime after he left FHP) however I cannot believe some of the negative posts in here. I agree that people change, but some of you guys are not posting an accurate image of the man. The negative posts sound like he did a complete 180 and is not the person I worked for and met. Yes he will hold everyone accountable for their actions and lack there of, and yes he will expect the supervisors to do their job and hold their people accountable, but "vindictive"?? "Egotistic", "moron", "all about himself", "will burn any officer in a heart beat?" That must be a different Grimming. He was a person who did not take "no" for answers from the legislators and truly looked out for the best interests of FHP. He was met with a lot of resistance from day one from the Govt and from the old timers (FHP). Also, since he was the 1st and only FHP director to come from the outside, he was met with a lot of jealousy from people that thought they should have been selected. But, again, people do change and it's been a while since I worked for him, but that does not sound like the Grimming I knew. And as many posters have said, call him and ask him. He is very personable and will make an outstanding Sheriff.

08-23-2008, 06:35 PM
"vindictive"?? "Egotistic", "moron", "all about himself", "will burn any officer in a heart beat?"

That pretty well sums up the attitude of our current sheriff and her administration. Thank you So Florida Trooper for helping to make my decision easier. I'll take a chance on Ron Grimming or Mike Rowan, they can't be anything but different from the nasty, hateful people in the current administration.

08-23-2008, 08:42 PM
For those of you who haven’t made up your mind, may I offer my two cents. I am a retired LEO, now living in Highlands County, with more years experience than most any two of the present HCSO top brass put together. I don’t know it all, but have a pretty good handle about how things are suppose to be run, especially after serving under at least eight sheriffs through the years, reaching a command position before retiring from a large sheriff’s office.

My experience with the present administration is somewhat limited, but it would appear that they DO NOT have a clue regarding an inventory control system, and especially one for the evidence room. Most agencies have someone dedicated to maintaining a good accounting of ALL assets belonging to their agency, from vehicles to weapons, parts to desks, radios to computers. I don’t see anyone overseeing the assets of the HCSO.

It is my understanding there were only two civilian employees to handle mountains of paperwork and to control the evidence. The handwriting was on the wall that the evidence unit was being setup to fail, especially given all the evidence collected from so many grow houses. But for her administration not to have taken an inventory of EVERY item belonging to, and/or under the control of, the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office, upon her taking office, from assets to evidence and not maintaining a yearly 100 percent inventory, is absolutely ludicrous.

And now it is discovered that thirty plus pieces of DNA evidence (including evidence from unsolved homicides), at least two weapons, a few other miscellaneous items and several hundred marijuana plants are missing is again ludicrous. (ps: the definition of ludicrous is: so devoid of wisdom or good sense as to be laughable).

What else might be missing, since a 100 percent inventory of neither the assets nor the evidence room has ever been completed under her administration? It has been reported by extremely reliable sources, that between 6,000 and 7,000 evidence items have been disposed of within the past three or four months. Wonder what else was discovered missing? I understand another weapon is missing? And after all is purged and cleaned up in the evidence room, is it then time for a 100 percent inventory of the evidence? Nice timing, just in time for the election. And how about the criminal cases that are being pled out, reduced sentences or nolo prosed because of tainted evidence. And what about pending cases where the chain of evidence will come into question.

Consequently, the present administration DOES NOT get my vote.

Conversely, I met Ron Grimming on several occasions and found him to be very informed on the issues at the Highlands County Sheriff’s Office. One of his positions is that a new office is needed, but maybe not in these economic times; that there might be other alternatives available.
And another, if elected, he would immediately inventory EVERY ITEM in and under the control of the Sheriff’s Office.

Both he and his wife are extremely personable, easy to talk to. He will listen and will get things done with a “can do” attitude. He rose through the ranks and knows what it is to be on the street and to be a fair administrator. I find his honesty and integrity beyond reproach. Reach out and talk to him. He wants to talk to you.

Highlands County desires a proven administrator, not one who thinks she might be.

RON GRIMMING HAS MY VOTE and I would hope that you will consider him also.

STAY SAFE!

08-24-2008, 02:11 AM
I agree that taking a chance with Grimming is the best choice. I also know that everyone that is "not the chosen" know that, I hope that some of this information comes out in the news paper so that the public can also make an informed decision. Maybe Ruth Handley should be informed that things are not as transparent as they seen (or as Benton says they are). Also that the support of the "Sheriff" is not for all employees as she thinks.
Someone sure has pulled the wool over the eyes of the public if the "Sheriff" is transparent and honest!

08-24-2008, 02:30 AM
She is the only thing "transparent" in her office. She is never there!!

08-24-2008, 03:19 AM
I has been quite sometime since I worked for and spoke with Ron Grimming, (sometime after he left FHP) however I cannot believe some of the negative posts in here. I agree that people change, but some of you guys are not posting an accurate image of the man. The negative posts sound like he did a complete 180 and is not the person I worked for and met. Yes he will hold everyone accountable for their actions and lack there of, and yes he will expect the supervisors to do their job and hold their people accountable, but "vindictive"?? "Egotistic", "moron", "all about himself", "will burn any officer in a heart beat?" That must be a different Grimming. He was a person who did not take "no" for answers from the legislators and truly looked out for the best interests of FHP. He was met with a lot of resistance from day one from the Govt and from the old timers (FHP). Also, since he was the 1st and only FHP director to come from the outside, he was met with a lot of jealousy from people that thought they should have been selected. But, again, people do change and it's been a while since I worked for him, but that does not sound like the Grimming I knew. And as many posters have said, call him and ask him. He is very personable and will make an outstanding Sheriff.

I agree with this post. My experience with Ron Grimming was nothing but positive. He treated everyone reasonable, even when he had the occasion to discipline troopers at times, he would give them a chance. I have never known the man to be egoistical, vindictive, all about himself or a moron. If he becomes your Sheriff, you can surely count on that he will move your agency onward. He is innovative and he represents progress and you can take that to the bank!!

Joe Lopez

08-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Another guest with my two cents.......... you have got to be kidding right? Brother there is no way anyone from the outside has that much information I don't care how " informed" he or she tries to make himself. Hell JAMIE, you might as well put your name right on the post !

08-24-2008, 03:44 PM
Longevity (Sgt, Lt, Capt, Maj, ???)
I would like to know why you use a pen name like Longevity. This must be some form of an indicator that you have alot of time with the Sheriff's Office. Most of the older deputies I've talked with are not supportive of Sheriff Benton. With this in mind this must mean that you hold some high ranking position and would really love to keep your job after the election. If this is the case why won't you use you real name and stand up for what is right or what you believe is right.

08-24-2008, 11:04 PM
I'm back because I can no longer sit back and read this crap.

Riddle me this.
Riddle me that.
As far as the previous evidence posting
Jamie Casey's the rat.

08-25-2008, 01:00 AM
OK. But the the POINT of the thread still exists. Crap on JC all you want, but this is the real deal: We NEED different leadership that understands the purpose of the "right people in the right places". That is absolutely paramount, and has obviously escaped Ms. Suz.

Instead of using the internet to anonymously crap all over individuals that really DO NOT MATTER (no offense Jamie), let's look at the only issue that does matter. The position of SHERIFF. Someone that demands respect only really gets it if he/she DESERVES IT. I think (some of) the current brass has shown us all we need to know, that's for sure.

Do the right thing.

08-25-2008, 02:43 AM
Riddler you may be but inteligent you are not. How do you figure that JC is the only person at the SO that knows about evidence???? There are some upper brass that are feeding the opponents in an attempt to keep their jobs!

08-29-2008, 04:30 PM
When did she flash her titties?

08-30-2008, 02:56 AM
She didn't, they mistakenly identified her as your mom!

09-08-2008, 02:08 AM
I just typed in Ron Grimming and this link is one of the first that came up. Makes me think his ideas are not that great.

http://www.sptimes.com/News/081901/Stat ... trol.shtml (http://www.sptimes.com/News/081901/State/The_Lost_Patrol.shtml)

09-09-2008, 12:11 AM
http://www.sptimes.com/News/081901/State/The_Lost_Patrol.shtml

This link should work better...

09-09-2008, 10:00 PM
Grimming.... a person who isn't from Highlands County, doesn't know much about the county, spends hours at coffee shops talking to disgruntled ex-employees who were let go for legitimate reasons, has already said he will replace employees for no other reason than they are related to other employees... sounds like a great choice for something, but not sheriff.

09-09-2008, 10:36 PM
spends hours at coffee shops talking to disgruntled ex-employees who were let go for legitimate reasons,.. sounds like a great choice for something, but not sheriff.

What in the heck does that mean? Like WHO was let go for "legitimate reasons" and is now "disgruntled"? Sounds like another wide generalization based on nothing. I can think of one person that left and now is a big Grimming supporter, but he was not let go. Plenty have left of their own doing, and appear to be WAY better off.

So why the support for Grimming?
I think that you will find that many deputies are tired of golden ticket civilians landing in high paying positions, a big mouth general cousel that can barely lawyer his way out of the parking lot, a Major that is held to demi-god status, and an IA happy admin that is having to deal with a few deputies that have come up too fast and are apparently experts on everything.

Don't think citizens have not seen the difference either. Plainly put, everyone hails Benton for increasing pay, grasping technology, and achieving accreditation- And deservedly so- but there was no way for her to go but UP. We were so far behind and stuck in the stone age, that ANYONE could have done that. She couldn't lose. Where the pain lies is in the workers and gears that keep this machine turning, and they are tired of the select few that have a yellow brick road in front of them to do whatever the hell they choose. It's not the power or the authority that's the issue- it's WHO has it- for now.

09-10-2008, 12:21 AM
[quote="just another cop":20mk8wdd] spends hours at coffee shops talking to disgruntled ex-employees who were let go for legitimate reasons,.. sounds like a great choice for something, but not sheriff.

What in the heck does that mean? Like WHO was let go for "legitimate reasons" and is now "disgruntled"? Sounds like another wide generalization based on nothing. I can think of one person that left and now is a big Grimming supporter, but he was not let go. Plenty have left of their own doing, and appear to be WAY better off.

So why the support for Grimming?
I think that you will find that many deputies are tired of golden ticket civilians landing in high paying positions, a big mouth general cousel that can barely lawyer his way out of the parking lot, a Major that is held to demi-god status, and an IA happy admin that is having to deal with a few deputies that have come up too fast and are apparently experts on everything.

Don't think citizens have not seen the difference either. Plainly put, everyone hails Benton for increasing pay, grasping technology, and achieving accreditation- And deservedly so- but there was no way for her to go but UP. We were so far behind and stuck in the stone age, that ANYONE could have done that. She couldn't lose. Where the pain lies is in the workers and gears that keep this machine turning, and they are tired of the select few that have a yellow brick road in front of them to do whatever the hell they choose. It's not the power or the authority that's the issue- it's WHO has it- for now.[/quote:20mk8wdd]

WHO was let go for legimate purposes.. based on nothing? Do you even live in Highlands County? There are plenty of employees, who are gone and rightfully so. Those are the same who are pumping the other guy with information as into "their own personal tragedy" ie, where they screwed up and are now paying the price.

Now I agree with your comments about the lawyer and the young deputies, but no agency is perfect. And about deputies being tired, it's the same deputies that will complain because they are breathing oxygen. Nothing is going to make those type of people happy... the ones who do nothing and expect everything.

She couldnn't lose? I disagree. She could have kept "us" right where we were, in the dark ages, low pay, no training, un-safe work conditions, etc. She has done well.

09-10-2008, 01:20 AM
The post that referred to people that were "let go" suggests that people were run off and/or fired. That confuses me, too. I live in and work for Highlands County....so who were these ones that were "let go"????? Not looking for full names or anything, but I can't think of any that were truly "let go" and now in the RG camp.

As the one person a couple lines up said, most left by their own choice, and I know for sure that some had it in the works for quite a while.

By bringing HCSO up to speed, Sheriff Benton has done well and deserves credit. As long as she did that, no- she could not lose. She was great in the eyes of the community and deputies alike. But I think the issue still is who she chooses to represent her (and us) on the upper level, and in critical civilian positions.

09-10-2008, 03:41 AM
"Don't think citizens have not seen the difference either" by Prolly not

Now we have somebody who is the spokesperson for all of the citizens in Highlands County. I didn't see the advertisement for that position, but while I was dilligently looking for it, I happened upon "The Lost Patrol" by a fairly reputable large news paper that is no where near Tallahassee or the Keys. Pretty impresive reading Ronald if I do say so myself. I especially liked the part where FHP lost its identity and it appeared you had a pretty significant part in losing it. Oh it gets much worse, but we'll let the readers read it for themselves. I think someone already gave the link, but you can also google "Lost Patrol" and it will come up. I already know the response will be something to the effect that it was politically motivated (unlike the PBA letter about evidence oh course) or the Saint Pete Times are a bunch of "good ole boys" who forced poor Ron Baby to resign because they're corrupt. Maybe Ronnie wanted to put a Trooper in every school, and wanted to create a burglary task force using existing resources from dispatch. Let's put more troopers on the street (Oh wait, that staffing plan he proposed didn't work either). I'll elaborate later on that wise crack. I'm sure that there is a logical explanation. Maybe Professor Klump will respond from the RV Park on his behalf while he and Uncle Buck (security guard) reflect on their upcoming glory days where they will lead the HCSO straight out of the bowels of hell, and return it to the glory of yesteryear. That's of couse after a Sam's Club size box of Ding Dongs and a Diet Coke!

09-10-2008, 02:40 PM
Our current sheriff does not have a chance at beating Ron Grimming. Finally we have an opportunity to professionalize our agency with someone with impeccable credentials and experience. Can't wait till November.

09-10-2008, 03:07 PM
"Ron Grimming took command of the patrol in 1993, the union favorite and the first outsider to run the agency. Under him, the highway patrol lost sight of its mission.

He brought helicopters, community policing squads, a car-theft hotline, defibrillators.

He took troopers off the road and put them in special units, angering Florida sheriffs who had to pick up the slack.

Grimming beat the drum for more troopers, using a Northwestern University staffing formula to prove the agency needed to add 500 troopers to its 1,650 sworn officers.

But the formula is full of holes.

It doesn't credit the sheriffs' work, which accounts for 40 percent of county crash investigations and 63 percent of the traffic enforcement.

It also doesn't weigh the highway patrol's own staffing decisions.

Look at how patrol leaders, claiming to be desperately short-handed, conducted the agency in just the past three years:

With 10,000 applicants to chose from, they cut back on the number of training academies they held and kept the classes small.

They pulled troopers from patrol and sent them, for instance, to control crowds at spring break and chaperone kids at Girls State.

They kept open dozens of trooper slots year after year, spending the salary money elsewhere.

Last year, the patrol could have hired 25 troopers with the $1.2-million it shifted from salaries to operations and expenses. The patrol said the money was spent on gasoline, which had risen in price, and other unexpected expenses.

The highway patrol also could have hired 14 troopers with unspent salary money returned to the state.

Blame the Legislature for another 60 vacancies; the patrol used that salary money to pay employees for the leave they earned but did not take, an expense the state doesn't fund.

At the end of June, the FHP had 200 trooper vacancies, 20 percent of the 1,000-member road patrol."

"Col. Ron Grimming's innovative attempts to modernize the agency splintered its focus, weakened performance and alienated the command staff. Grimming did not respond to three requests for interviews."

Yes, this is who we need...I think not. Sheriff Benton has done a great job and should continue to be Sheriff for Highlands County.

09-10-2008, 06:47 PM
"Ron Grimming took command of the patrol in 1993, the union favorite and the first outsider to run the agency. Under him, the highway patrol lost sight of its mission.

He brought helicopters, community policing squads, a car-theft hotline, defibrillators.

He took troopers off the road and put them in special units, angering Florida sheriffs who had to pick up the slack.

Grimming beat the drum for more troopers, using a Northwestern University staffing formula to prove the agency needed to add 500 troopers to its 1,650 sworn officers.

But the formula is full of holes.

It doesn't credit the sheriffs' work, which accounts for 40 percent of county crash investigations and 63 percent of the traffic enforcement.

It also doesn't weigh the highway patrol's own staffing decisions.

Look at how patrol leaders, claiming to be desperately short-handed, conducted the agency in just the past three years:

With 10,000 applicants to chose from, they cut back on the number of training academies they held and kept the classes small.

They pulled troopers from patrol and sent them, for instance, to control crowds at spring break and chaperone kids at Girls State.

They kept open dozens of trooper slots year after year, spending the salary money elsewhere.

Last year, the patrol could have hired 25 troopers with the $1.2-million it shifted from salaries to operations and expenses. The patrol said the money was spent on gasoline, which had risen in price, and other unexpected expenses.

The highway patrol also could have hired 14 troopers with unspent salary money returned to the state.

Blame the Legislature for another 60 vacancies; the patrol used that salary money to pay employees for the leave they earned but did not take, an expense the state doesn't fund.

At the end of June, the FHP had 200 trooper vacancies, 20 percent of the 1,000-member road patrol."

"Col. Ron Grimming's innovative attempts to modernize the agency splintered its focus, weakened performance and alienated the command staff. Grimming did not respond to three requests for interviews."

Yes, this is who we need...I think not. Sheriff Benton has done a great job and should continue to be Sheriff for Highlands County.

Maybe what he tried to do for the FHP did not sit well with the sheriffs, but just think what he can (and will ) do for us. Bottom line, he is innovative, knows where to go for the grant funding, and understands law enforcement, from his state police experience. I'd like to see Grimming vs. Benton in a real debate format - he'd eat her lunch. Based on his research, he probably knows and understands more about HSO than she does.

09-11-2008, 02:17 AM
I read this site with interest and wonder if Grimming will keep up all the IA's? Why are the deputies subject to so many IA's and why does the Major always take the side against the deputy when he makes a public statement.
Every article I have ever read in the paper concerning a deputy always has a comment by the major that he is doing an IA. I don't know who the major is but he does not sound like a team player, AND WHY does the Sheriff allow him to treat the deputies this way.
What incentive does a young person have to spend months in school and whatever other training they go through to work for an agency like HCSO. I heard that the SO has had 20 IA's this year compared to zero at the PD. Sounds to me like the PD should run the SO.
Like I said, I don't know anything other then what I read but it sounds like the deputies have a tough job....Fight the bad guys on the street and then get hammered by your own team.
My vote is for a new leader or the old leader with a new admin. staff. Most of the comments I read are not about the Sheriff herself but the next level of admin that sound like jerks.
You guys keep up the good work and God bless you for doing a job that most of us don't want.

Bill Rodgers
Sebring

09-11-2008, 03:36 AM
Don't just pick out one line and comment, this wasn't about the sheriff's disappointment with Ron Baby. It was far more than that if you read the ENTIRE post. The guy is one dimensional and he's not even good at that. This was a non-biased news paper who wrote this five part series, and a fairly reputable one at that. Plus again, no where near FHP Headquarters. So you're saying that the information is not true in the paper? Sounds a little like a few recent articles in our news paper doesn't it? Those probably are true though right because it goes along with your choice for sheriff? Benton has many positive things that she has accomplished in our county with our office. This guy has lived here for barely two years and done what? He isn't even sworn, and hasn't been for ten years. Maybe he'll use one of those helicopters for transportation to and from his home in the Florida Keys. Oh yeah, don't forget, a SRO in every school. That's some progressive thinking folks. What's next, mobile speed boxes and empty patrol cars positioned around the county with stuffed animals in them to look like a deputy sitting in the car? Impressive!

09-11-2008, 06:58 PM
Don't just pick out one line and comment, this wasn't about the sheriff's disappointment with Ron Baby. It was far more than that if you read the ENTIRE post. The guy is one dimensional and he's not even good at that. This was a non-biased news paper who wrote this five part series, and a fairly reputable one at that. Plus again, no where near FHP Headquarters. So you're saying that the information is not true in the paper? Sounds a little like a few recent articles in our news paper doesn't it? Those probably are true though right because it goes along with your choice for sheriff? Benton has many positive things that she has accomplished in our county with our office. This guy has lived here for barely two years and done what? He isn't even sworn, and hasn't been for ten years. Maybe he'll use one of those helicopters for transportation to and from his home in the Florida Keys. Oh yeah, don't forget, a SRO in every school. That's some progressive thinking folks. What's next, mobile speed boxes and empty patrol cars positioned around the county with stuffed animals in them to look like a deputy sitting in the car? Impressive!

Mark - he does not own a home in the Keys any longer and he never used the FHP helicopter for personal transportation. Get your facts straight. Oh, by the way, your standards are not current, are they "Guest LEO"?

09-12-2008, 12:20 AM
Mr. Grimming moved to Lake Placid over 5 years ago.
Why?
Not to become the Sheriff of Highlands County...
He moved here as his in-laws had been here for many years and because he wanted his wife to be near her parents while
facing a health issue. During that time period he has stayed low key in Lake Placid and watched what has happened in the County. Call him he will tell you and these are facts!
Also Mr. Grimming has not promised any position to Mike Brown.
I hope you realize that when you post something such as these remarks they will come back to bite ya butt. Someone always will stand up for the truth even when it is not the popular thing to do! I don't mind not being popular with the in crowd. :x

09-12-2008, 01:48 AM
Do you have documentation or newspaper articles to back this up? I have searched and have found nothing about him pissing anyone off or getting fired.
Have you ever spoken to this man?
I feel that you are listening to idle gossip and people who just are afraid to be made to do their jobs.

You may have heard good things about this individual, but you did not hear them from the men and women that worked for him.

09-12-2008, 02:05 AM
Mr. Grimming was the worst thing that happened to the Florida Highway Patrol. He never backed the officers, and then ordered officers to get involved in Political campaigns which was a no no for that department. When the officer got in trouble Mr. Grimming just walked away. He spent tax payers money on two helicopters, what for the department had fixed wing planes, remember the agency is charged with traffic enforcement of all state highways not state police enforcement. These helicopters were sold right after he left the patrol. Someone needs to ask him about involvement with female officers. Someone needs to ask him about the trips to south florida in state planes on weekends, and why he thouight the taxpayers of this state should pay for another office in Dade County for the Director of FHP. This office was fully staffed and supplied at the expense of the Taxpayers. In the history of the Patrol No director of the FHP had an office outside of Tallahassee Florida. The director was to live in Tallahassee, not Key Largo, Florida. Mr. Grimming is just not truthful, and do and say what ever it takes to get elected. He will eliminate much of the staff that make this department one of the best and will reap ALL OF THE HARD WORK THE CURRENT SHERIFF HAS put into this department.
I can tell the people of Highlands county that I have worked with many sheriff's departments in my law enforcement career, and all said & done Highlands county is one of the best. Highlands county does not want or need an individual like Mr. Ron Grimming as sheriff, and I am a republican and will not support him or vote for him in the coming election.

09-12-2008, 02:14 AM
The previous poster is correct. Those who work for Grimming are or will be held accountable to do their job. There will be no Good ole Boy or even Good ole Girl system. It will be an agency of professional Officers that are hired to do a job. If you read Grimming's resume you will see he is the Colonel that got FHP accredated. Talk to anyone who knows or has worked under him they will tell you he is an open book with an open door. The next 10 months will show it. Give him a call...

Your statement is not true, he talks a good talk and does not always tell the truth. I believe Col Burkett started the accrediation process well before Grimming got there. Mr. Grimming will NOT stand behind his officers when right. Mr Grimming cost florida tax payers thousands of dollars for items that were not necessary or needed. Yes you do need to talk to senior FHP officers who worked for him, they will tell you a different story. Highlands county does not want or need mr. grimming as their sheriff.

09-12-2008, 02:39 AM
Why won't anyone sign thier name to thier comments, from either side of the issue(s). How is one to determine the accuracy of the statements made, when no proof is offered (pro or con), or what the true agenda of the author is? I think until such time that everyone has the balls to sign thier name (me included) then all of the garbage discussed on this site has no meaning and even less value to anyone's cause. All in all nothing but trash talk.

09-12-2008, 02:44 AM
Finally, someone who speaks with first hand knowledge. All we have around here are a bunch of kool-aid drinkers and of couse the one who makes it. These people know nothing about this guy other than what he tells them. Apparently you are not the only one coming forward. There are some Florida Sheriff's who worked with him during his tenure that have had a few things to say about Jimmy Jones (aka Grimming). I can't wait for the first head to head debate (now it's one on one and not two against one) when the bombs drop. The best is yet to come people.

09-12-2008, 02:13 PM
Finally, someone who speaks with first hand knowledge. All we have around here are a bunch of kool-aid drinkers and of couse the one who makes it. These people know nothing about this guy other than what he tells them. Apparently you are not the only one coming forward. There are some Florida Sheriff's who worked with him during his tenure that have had a few things to say about Jimmy Jones (aka Grimming). I can't wait for the first head to head debate (now it's one on one and not two against one) when the bombs drop. The best is yet to come people.

Get a clue, if you have info, share it, stop acting like a 12yr old sheila, oh he said she said, have some balls -jackass

09-12-2008, 02:59 PM

Haven't you heard? She probably will not debate him since he challenged her on her facts the last time they were at an event. She stormed out of the meeting all red faced and angry. She realized who she was up against and knows she will never win a debate against him.

09-12-2008, 03:13 PM

Haven't you heard? She probably will not debate him since he challenged her on her facts the last time they were at an event. She stormed out of the meeting all red faced and angry. She realized who she was up against and knows she will never win a debate against him.

All candidates should debate, if she doesn't she just looks like a weak suck, well she is a weak suck, but it only gives the appearance that she can't compete, wel lshe can't compete, anyways the facts are she can't run a dept without screwing it up,
at the very least she has been deceptive or lied, either way here behaviour is unacceptable.

09-13-2008, 01:57 AM
I must have missed that one because I don't remember any of that. Maybe you should put that out in the next flyer that you send out. Who will the next mailer come from? NAMBLA perhaps? I heard they are endorsing him!

09-13-2008, 02:00 AM

All candidates should debate, if she doesn't she just looks like a weak suck, well she is a weak suck, but it only gives the appearance that she can't compete, wel lshe can't compete, anyways the facts are she can't run a dept without screwing it up,
at the very least she has been deceptive or lied, either way here behaviour is unacceptable.

What the f@#k did you just say?

09-13-2008, 02:08 AM
Why won't anyone sign thier name to thier comments, from either side of the issue(s). How is one to determine the accuracy of the statements made, when no proof is offered (pro or con), or what the true agenda of the author is? I think until such time that everyone has the balls to sign thier name (me included) then all of the garbage discussed on this site has no meaning and even less value to anyone's cause. All in all nothing but trash talk.

I have to admit that I agree. I think this site is just a way of blowing off steam because we can't do it anywhere else without reprocutions. I don't take this site serious and hopefully others don't either.

10-06-2008, 01:53 AM
I found the history of the FHP while surfing. I was undecide until I read this today. With all the stories back and forth, I wanted to research Grimming on my own. I did not know anyything about him but know lots of stories about the current Sheriff. Read it and you decide......
http://www.flhsmv.gov/fhp/html/story5w.html

10-07-2008, 02:45 AM
Yup, I'm votin for that Grimming guy cause he was there when the Blue Jet crashed. Can you give me a break the guy was fired from his top position with FHP because he doesn't play well with others. He changed uniforms for recruits and for the troopers, this guy is hot. He really knows how to take control of an agency and go with it. Hey, he didn't do so well is south florida either did he? Like on the job for a couple of years and then out the door. Yup, this guys got my support cause he proves he can perform. Wait isn't the term for sheriff four years? He don't last that long.

10-12-2008, 12:34 AM
st
Yup, I'm votin for that Grimming guy cause he was there when the Blue Jet crashed. Can you give me a break the guy was fired from his top position with FHP because he doesn't play well with others. He changed uniforms for recruits and for the troopers, this guy is hot. He really knows how to take control of an agency and go with it. Hey, he didn't do so well is south florida either did he? Like on the job for a couple of years and then out the door. Yup, this guys got my support cause he proves he can perform. Wait isn't the term for sheriff four years? He don't last that long.

What a load of Sh*t, get your facts straight, this board is full of a bunch of 4 year olds. You people need to get some balls, make an informed choice and shut the f*&k up

10-29-2008, 08:25 PM
As a retired Trooper from Florida, the devil you know is better than the devil you do not know. If you vote the "grimlin" in hold on as you just bought an "E" ticket ride at Disney World. He did no favor to the citizens of Florida while Director of the Florida Highway Patrol. Just my two cents

10-29-2008, 10:00 PM
If you really are a "RETIRED" Trooper sign your name to your post. I have talked to many, many, many Troopers, active and retired and they back Grimming. What did he catch you not doing your job and send you to Miami?????

10-30-2008, 08:49 PM
many, many, many..... being 3?

10-31-2008, 07:34 PM
SSDD,
It appears that your mind is made up for that I can not change. By attacking me for my opinion is not far. No, I was not caught not doing my job, in fact I promoted and transfered to a county that most hate but others call paradise, prior to Mr. Grimming.
My point is only that FHP is still reeling from the decisions that Mr. Grimming instituted, ie staff shortage as he provided 24 hour coverage to all 67 counties. A midnight shift in rural counties that have no midnight traffic and now metro areas are still short staffed. A Lieutenant Shift Commander program, now FHP has supervisors in positions of command that have never commanded. Helicopters also.
My name is not important just look at his successes and failures.

11-01-2008, 02:08 PM
It's pretty obvious that those posing as fhp people opposing Grimming on this site are the ones he ran off due to their incompetence/mismanagement. Anyone can see through that. Ron Grimming will be the new Highlands County Sheriff come Nov 4th and HCSO employees and citizens will be better for it.

11-02-2008, 07:48 PM
Quite the contrary. I promoted under Colonel Burkett, promoted again during the Grimming era, promoted with Colonel Hall and again with Colonel Knight. So I believe your attacks on FHP personnel are not quite accurate. My concern was to enlighten but you will make your decision on Nov. 04. Just look at what happened with FHP and hope it does not happen with HCSO.

In your own backyard was a promotee of Grimming, a Major and a Captain. Look at their example of leadership that Grimming promoted.

Best of luck for the future of your agency.

11-03-2008, 01:18 AM
Quite the contrary. I promoted under Colonel Burkett, promoted again during the Grimming era, promoted with Colonel Hall and again with Colonel Knight. So I believe your attacks on FHP personnel are not quite accurate. My concern was to enlighten but you will make your decision on Nov. 04. Just look at what happened with FHP and hope it does not happen with HCSO.

In your own backyard was a promotee of Grimming, a Major and a Captain. Look at their example of leadership that Grimming promoted.

Best of luck for the future of your agency.

So:
Burkette = Cpl.
Grimming = Sgt.
Hall = Lt.
Knight = Capt.

So you are a captain or above who still currently works FHP or has recently retired.

funny
11-05-2008, 02:09 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NEXT TIME RUN A CLEAN CAMPAIGN AND PERHAPS YOU MIGHT HAVE A BETTER CHANCE!

11-05-2008, 04:07 AM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

NEXT TIME RUN A CLEAN CAMPAIGN AND PERHAPS YOU MIGHT HAVE A BETTER CHANCE!

You said it................................................ .............................
Grimming was useless in FHP and thank goodness will not be able to do the same with HCSO............