PDA

View Full Version : AVL's & 60 mph

11-29-2007, 09:56 PM
The word is that they are flagging all cars that hit 60 MPH on city streets.

Copper
11-29-2007, 10:24 PM
Word is their doing it ON SHIFT also...not just on your way home. Also, word that there's a bunch of the 80MPH violations coming down the pipes. I can only hope this a disgusting rumor....but history proceeds itself, so I wouldn't doubt it.
It'll be kind of funny though when 90% of people on the road (b/c, you know supervisor cars conveniently don't have AVL's) are written up....what's really the point?

11-29-2007, 10:24 PM
The word is that they are flagging all cars that hit 60 MPH on city streets.
Yeah, I guess the brass wanted to see who's AVL's were working.

11-29-2007, 10:43 PM
Word is their doing it ON SHIFT also...not just on your way home. Also, word that there's a bunch of the 80MPH violations coming down the pipes. I can only hope this a disgusting rumor....but history proceeds itself, so I wouldn't doubt it.
It'll be kind of funny though when 90% of people on the road (b/c, you know supervisor cars conveniently don't have AVL's) are written up....what's really the point?

Sergeant cars have AVL's to. Just captains and above don't have them.

11-29-2007, 11:34 PM

Sergeant cars have AVL's to. Just captains and above don't have them.

Yeah we have had several sergeants given counseling slips over the avl's.

Copper
11-30-2007, 01:04 AM
Yeah, I know. Worded that wrong...I meant the unmarked supervisors' cars.

11-30-2007, 01:13 AM
I know a really 10-8 Ofc. who just got verbally repremanded for doing 60 MPH on duty, in the city. Yes, it's all true

11-30-2007, 01:34 AM
I heard it's 60 on roads besides 595/95/Tpk. The highways are limited to 80MPH....

I Gretass wanted to have an active IA Dept.....

11-30-2007, 06:24 AM
And the chief is still dumbfounded as to why people are leaving for other agencies.

When are they going to start injecting locator beacon chips into our skulls? I hear shock collars are on back order. I also think that the city is considering a holster that has an audible alarm that sounds at 150 db's and states: ATTENTION CITIZENS!!! A FORT LAUDERDALE OFFICER HAS REMOVED THEIR FIREARM FROM THE HOLSTER!!!! ATTENTION ATTENTION!!!!

You know if they are afraid of us speeding they could replace our cars with scooters like Abear's. Oh, how about segways?

Every time I consider staying here, they give me one more reason to walk out the door.

Barak
11-30-2007, 11:32 PM
I checked w/a few of my sergeant and captain friends and there has been no instructions to them about any 60 MPH limit. Perhaps somebody just got caught doing something they shouldn't have been?!?!?!?

12-01-2007, 04:40 AM
I checked w/a few of my sergeant and captain friends and there has been no instructions to them about any 60 MPH limit. Perhaps somebody just got caught doing something they shouldn't have been?!?!?!?
How can someone get up when he cant get up? Just wondering.

12-01-2007, 04:52 AM
Yes, Barak. All patrolmen are guilty until proven innocent, we're all f*ckups, and it's obvious the "10-8" guy was doing 60 mph in a school zone, crashing into a bus full of blind deaf mute nuns. (Can you imagine writing that person's page??) There are always going to be guys who try to catch the bad guy, despite the restrictions placed upon us. So there will always be a chance to burn someone and climb the ladder. Does that whet your palate?

Barak
12-01-2007, 10:59 AM
uh what? your point is lost on me Jim

12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
what

12-14-2007, 02:27 AM
Instead of worrying about your speed being held against you, perhaps you should look in the mirror and see if you are doing something that will come back to bite you? Is being able to speed that important? I really don't think anyone is trying to hamstring FLPD and keep them from doing the job they were hired to do. If going over 60 (or 70 or 80) is that important to upholding the law, then the policy will be changed. Realistically, is there any reason to go that fast when you are patrolling your district? Do you really need to get home that fast? Just because you are in a marked vehicle, that does not give you carte blanche to do whatever the h**l you want to. Mr. and Mrs. Citizen are not stupid - they see LEOs stretching the rules all the time but most assume the officer is on a call or has a really important reason to be acting stupid and irresponsible.

12-14-2007, 02:33 AM
Instead of worrying about your speed being held against you, perhaps you should look in the mirror and see if you are doing something that will come back to bite you? Is being able to speed that important? I really don't think anyone is trying to hamstring FLPD and keep them from doing the job they were hired to do. If going over 60 (or 70 or 80) is that important to upholding the law, then the policy will be changed. Realistically, is there any reason to go that fast when you are patrolling your district? Do you really need to get home that fast? Just because you are in a marked vehicle, that does not give you carte blanche to do whatever the h**l you want to. Mr. and Mrs. Citizen are not stupid - they see LEOs stretching the rules all the time but most assume the officer is on a call or has a really important reason to be acting stupid and irresponsible.

The weasels are in the house now. I guess its time for officers to find a new place to vent and iscuss things. I bet whoever this weasel is would be the first to complain when the police don't get to his house two seconds after he calls.

12-14-2007, 03:01 AM

Gotta agree. The speed limit is for all of us. Wait until you are dispatched to a call (do not volunteer). Take your call, drive slow and careful to the area, wait for your backup (which you have not cancelled), then move in together and resolve the situation. Arrests are a last option after all other options have failed. Tickets are for truly dangerous driving, warnings are more suitable for most traffic infractions. All you morons who are volunteering, racing from call to call, cancelling backups, are all supporting Hebert's ridiculous "we do more with less" comment. You are risking your career (and maybe someone's life) to back up an incompetent neophyte who holds you in contempt. Your Chief's lack of action on our behalf has shown what side he's on.; his half-hearted bull$it pep talks are simply to placate the peasants, he is also the enemy. The truth is staring you in the faceand many of you are too stupid or greedy to see; they will use you up and throw you away. If you bend the rules and it works then the credit goes to them; if you bend the rules and things go wrong it's all on you. I cannot believe people are stressing over these AVL's. You know they're there and you know they're being used to watch you. If you are too simple minded to act accordingly then you deserve what you get. The battle lines are drawn. Work EXACTLY to the rule. Give them what you are required to give and not an ounce more. That goes for everyone; rookies, seniors, strike teamers, etc. If a rookie has to produce a bit more because of probation so be it. We all understand that. But we constantly aware this is a long term battle we are in and those of you bending the rules, those of you over-producing for your own self-agrandizement, should also be considered the enemy and shunned by all of us brothers who are deep in this bucket of $hit. Selling out your brothers so you will be picked for the next OT slot is traitorous. If we all stuck together they would be unable to deny anyone overtime. There are simply too many open slots to run a shift without overtime.
I'll stop with this last point. STICK TOGETHER AND WORK TO THE RULE!!!There doesn't need to be a union directive to work to the rule; it is a command from the police department itself! The created the rules to be followed and your bending them to get things done are AGAINST DEPARTMENT POLICY! Don't put it on Jack or Mike to tell you to use common sense.

12-14-2007, 03:35 AM
"The weasels are in the house now. I guess its time for officers to find a new place to vent and iscuss things. I bet whoever this weasel is would be the first to complain when the police don't get to his house two seconds after he calls."

To the idiot that says there are "weasels" in the house - you obviously don't realize that this is a blog - anyone can post. You can vent till you fall over. But, I did NOT say that you were supposed to not expedite to get to your calls - I said if you are routinely speeding just to get to your 40 or go home, then you may want to reassess your priorities!!! And yes, if there was an in-progress call, I would expect a code 3 response but other than that, I would expect what any citizen would - a reasonable response time. I am sure you have seen fellow officers driving on 95 and 595 going way above the speed limit just because they can. God forbid they would have an accident and then get crucified for going too fast outside the city limits. If the AVL system makes an officer think twice about doing something they normally would not do, then it is a good thing.

12-14-2007, 03:41 AM
Weasel!

12-14-2007, 11:54 PM
hhahahahhahaha

12-15-2007, 03:44 AM
Have you forgotten about Griss???????? You idiot!!!!! He was a good kid but ended up being super arrogant thinking "I am a cop I can do whatever the hell I want to" look where it gets him. He is the one that started all this AVL BS in the first place. And sadly killed someone because of his arrogance!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Copper
12-15-2007, 09:21 AM
And if the crack hoe hadn't stepped out onto a dark road, in between intersections, she wouldn't have gotten hit.

12-15-2007, 04:41 PM
How come there isn't a greater animosity against criminals? They seem to all get their day in court. The overly sympathetic public and liberal media always side with the poor criminal who was in the wrong place at the wrong time. But if a cop is investigated, its "slap the cuffs on him. he's guilty. fire him." Cops are always found guilty in the court of public opinion before any formal investigation. How come career criminals are innocent until proven guilty but cops are just the opposite? Why do you hate us? We protect you when the criminals take from you, rape, rob, and murder you, but yet you want to crucify us if there is a mere allegation. Is this because the media tells you to do this? Are you that simple minded? If you can't think for yourself and have to have your thought's spoon fed to you then I can understand, that's the typical south Floridian's mentality.

You talk of arrogance. You are making accusations on a public blog. You are scum. Watch out for karma.

12-15-2007, 10:08 PM
Griss certainly caused himself a lot of his own problems. I wish him the best but I fear for him as there is apparently a double-standard when it comes to prosecuting LEO's vs. the general public. Case in point- the guy who hit Deputy Seguin got off w/a ticket! There are certain similarities to Griss' case and yet Griss was charged w/a felony!

Word is the Sun Sentinel put in a request for ALL AVL data ever since the PD started recording it. That ought to prove to be an interesting story....

12-19-2007, 03:40 PM

Gotta agree. The speed limit is for all of us. Wait until you are dispatched to a call (do not volunteer). Take your call, drive slow and careful to the area, wait for your backup (which you have not cancelled), then move in together and resolve the situation. Arrests are a last option after all other options have failed. Tickets are for truly dangerous driving, warnings are more suitable for most traffic infractions. All you morons who are volunteering, racing from call to call, cancelling backups, are all supporting Hebert's ridiculous "we do more with less" comment. You are risking your career (and maybe someone's life) to back up an incompetent neophyte who holds you in contempt. Your Chief's lack of action on our behalf has shown what side he's on.; his half-hearted bull$it pep talks are simply to placate the peasants, he is also the enemy. The truth is staring you in the faceand many of you are too stupid or greedy to see; they will use you up and throw you away. If you bend the rules and it works then the credit goes to them; if you bend the rules and things go wrong it's all on you. I cannot believe people are stressing over these AVL's. You know they're there and you know they're being used to watch you. If you are too simple minded to act accordingly then you deserve what you get. The battle lines are drawn. Work EXACTLY to the rule. Give them what you are required to give and not an ounce more. That goes for everyone; rookies, seniors, strike teamers, etc. If a rookie has to produce a bit more because of probation so be it. We all understand that. But we constantly aware this is a long term battle we are in and those of you bending the rules, those of you over-producing for your own self-agrandizement, should also be considered the enemy and shunned by all of us brothers who are deep in this bucket of $hit. Selling out your brothers so you will be picked for the next OT slot is traitorous. If we all stuck together they would be unable to deny anyone overtime. There are simply too many open slots to run a shift without overtime.
I'll stop with this last point. STICK TOGETHER AND WORK TO THE RULE!!!There doesn't need to be a union directive to work to the rule; it is a command from the police department itself! The created the rules to be followed and your bending them to get things done are AGAINST DEPARTMENT POLICY! Don't put it on Jack or Mike to tell you to use common sense.

This is a work ethic the FOP has been preaching for at least, the last 15 years. Why in the hell do some of you keep insisting on canceling back-ups and speeding to calls. You have a ball-less chief and staff that won't back you up when the going gets tough! Wise up people, the job is not like it was 25 or 30 years ago.

12-20-2007, 06:34 AM
All of the get out of jail cards are gone now. Because of so many officers abusing the power, things have gotten tighter with every year that passes by. Did Griss really had to be hauling-ass; no, but he chose to and now he’s paying for it. So, the next bonehead officer that imitates old Griss will be judge accordingly regardless whether he was running code or not.

Officer’s Case Law screws every other officer after him without due process. You can thank all those officers that slip to the cracks and f@ck up due to their arrogance and the,” I can do whatever the f@ck I want cause I’m a cop” attitude.

12-20-2007, 04:18 PM
All of the get out of jail cards are gone now. Because of so many officers abusing the power, things have gotten tighter with every year that passes by. Did Griss really had to be hauling-ass; no, but he chose to and now he’s paying for it. So, the next bonehead officer that imitates old Griss will be judge accordingly regardless whether he was running code or not.

Officer’s Case Law screws every other officer after him without due process. You can thank all those officers that slip to the cracks and f@ck up due to their arrogance and the,” I can do whatever the f@ck I want cause I’m a cop” attitude.

Its because everything a cop does is plastered all over the media. Everyone hates cops, but everyone wants to be a cop that's why there are so many reality cop shows. Cops, Wildest police chases, Wildest police video, etc. Remember LAPD: life on the street or beat? Then there are the countless fictional TV shows, NYPD BLue, Law and Order, the Shield, etc. Those shows are on tv because people watch them.

People are enthralled with what the police do, but the media paints such a negative picture of us and the general public is made up of mostly morons who believe everything that's on TV or in print, people just jump on the cop hating band wagon. Some of the animosity has to do with jealousy as well.

The truth of the matter is that case law is influenced by the negative public opinion. The negative public opinion is fueled by the media. The media loves to hate cops. Everything is about liability anymore. We are our own worst enemies.

12-20-2007, 06:07 PM
Nobody wants to be a cop. That's why there are dozens and dozens of vacancies in every single department in the country. If they did, it would be impossible to get a police job, like it used to be back in the day. Everything else you said about perception and what not is true.

12-20-2007, 07:26 PM
Nobody wants to be a cop. That's why there are dozens and dozens of vacancies in every single department in the country. If they did, it would be impossible to get a police job, like it used to be back in the day. Everything else you said about perception and what not is true.
I have to disagree. There are parts of this country where people still have a work ethic and are raised to respect authority (ie, the midwest). Try getting into the Pittsburgh PD, for example: Get ready for a long wait unless you've got a 4-yr degree, military experience, AND know someone important. Lines are stretched around the block just to take the test.

South Florida is a cesspool of single-parent low-income hand-out-raised families that just breed and ferment crime. That's why I love it. What fun would it be to police po-dunk Indiana?

Sure, there are plenty of people who want to do this job; not too many of them want to do it where the action is. They want to look like cops, not be cops. Now if only our city recognized that we are the few that take on the challenge, we'd be all set.

12-20-2007, 10:10 PM
[quote="Chief Wiggum":11qfps7a]Nobody wants to be a cop. That's why there are dozens and dozens of vacancies in every single department in the country. If they did, it would be impossible to get a police job, like it used to be back in the day. Everything else you said about perception and what not is true.
I have to disagree. There are parts of this country where people still have a work ethic and are raised to respect authority (ie, the midwest). Try getting into the Pittsburgh PD, for example: Get ready for a long wait unless you've got a 4-yr degree, military experience, AND know someone important. Lines are stretched around the block just to take the test.

South Florida is a cesspool of single-parent low-income hand-out-raised families that just breed and ferment crime. That's why I love it. What fun would it be to police po-dunk Indiana?

Sure, there are plenty of people who want to do this job; not too many of them want to do it where the action is. They want to look like cops, not be cops. Now if only our city recognized that we are the few that take on the challenge, we'd be all set.[/quote:11qfps7a]

And if a frog had wings, he wouldn't bumb his ass on the ground when he hops. The fact is, PD's in places like Pittsburgh and Boston and areas like that are the extremely rare exceptions to the rule. While you are correct about there still being places like that, they are few and very far between. Getting on the job in upstate NY is hard but is known nationally for their nepotism and small department sizes. I have a buddy who was from Boston and applied there and said there is actually a question on the app that says "Number of family members under the employ of the Boston Police Department" and if the number you put down isn't high enough, you get DQ'ed. But again, rare.

12-27-2007, 01:06 PM
WHERE IS THE UNION ? HOW CAN WE DO THIS JOB THIS IS BULL #*#*. IF WERE ALL BEING HELD TO A HIGHER STANDARD EVERYONE IN THE DEPT WITH A CAR SHOULD HAVE AN AVL, EVERYONE. SOMEONE SHOULD TELL THE PUBLIC THAT WHEN YOUR CRAZY EXHUSBAND IS OUTSIDE WITH HIS SHOTGUN WE ARE COMING CODE 1. ITS FINE HES OUTSIDE, WHAT THE F***. WHEN YOUR HOUSE IS BURNING DOWN AND YOUR ASLEEP INSIDE OR YOUR INFANT ISN'T BREATHING CODE 1.

IS THAT THE SERVICE YOU EXPECT WHERE YOU LIVE HUH SGT'S, LT'S, CAPT'S, ECT ? I DOUBT IT

ANY COP WORTH ANYTHING IS GOING TO GET IN TROUBLE WITH THE AVL. 60 ?

I AM GOING TO LEAVE TO, NOT TO FLEE FROM THE AVL BUT TO GO SOME WHERE THAT MY BACKUP CAN GO 60 WHEN I SOUND NERVOUS BECAUSE I HAVE 8 DRED GUYS DOING A DANCE TO HIDE S**T UNDER THEIR SEATS.

01-01-2008, 07:19 PM
See Ya

01-03-2008, 12:01 AM
Hey FLPD, I'll be driving my BSO marked unit down the turnpike at approximately 100-110 mph tonight, like everynight, without big brother knowing a damn thing.

Very nice! Dist 5

01-03-2008, 03:41 AM
Yes, you do that and some retard will cut you off and we can attend yet another BSO funeral.

01-03-2008, 10:21 PM
Hey FLPD, I'll be driving my BSO marked unit down the turnpike at approximately 100-110 mph tonight, like everynight, without big brother knowing a darn thing.

Very nice! Dist 5

Again, good for you, I'll send flowers to your wife after you smash your BSO marked unit into a retaining wall. Its A$$holes like you that bring so much scrutiny to law enforcement. Even before they Nazified the AVL system at FLPD I didn't drive that fast on the highway. Why? because its not necessary. Go back to your forum and your second rate agency.

Dist 5, huh? You have what, 3 guys working there? Yea, nice... stop asking us for 94's if its so nice over there.