PDA

View Full Version : STONE AGE EQUIPMENT

11-27-2007, 08:10 AM
Why can't our department contact the people who set up Hollywood or Coral Springs patrol cars and say " We want what they have in their cars but just put our name on it"? Why is it so difficult for our department to eliminate those in positions of technology now that have given us nothing but crap for years and replace them with people who know what they are doing? Why do we have police officers assigned to the technology unit? Why hasn't anyone from the technology unit ever come and met with officers to see what they need on the road to make them more efficient?

11-27-2007, 09:47 AM
Why can't our department contact the people who set up Hollywood or Coral Springs patrol cars and say " We want what they have in their cars but just put our name on it"? Why is it so difficult for our department to eliminate those in positions of technology now that have given us nothing but crap for years and replace them with people who know what they are doing? Why do we have police officers assigned to the technology unit? Why hasn't anyone from the technology unit ever come and met with officers to see what they need on the road to make them more efficient?

There is nothing stopping the city from doing any of this other than the fact that they really don't care and they are ignorant. It's more with less all the way around with man power and technology. They don't realize that it costs more money to keep repairing out-dated technology than it does to upgrade to newer technology. The older computers get the harder it is to find the parts to replace them, as rare parts are more expensive.

We need an actual I.T. department with an actual I.T. Administrator and I.T personnel that are not officers, just I.T. people. Then you could have officers assigned to that department to better adapt the technology for LEO use but that makes way to much sense and would create too much efficiency. Why do that when you could have some old fat cop up there that can't tell the difference between a computer and a toaster running things. It's worked so far, right? The logic is flawed though because you don't give I.T. people guns and put them out on the street to fight crime. Why the hell would you make a cop and I.T. administrator?

The reason it works is because we make it work because its all we have. They sent Carl to a couple of classes, and, bam, he can fix a computer. Where you have guys that have Masters degrees in this stuff out there who could actually do us some good, but no, we'll use inexperienced people instead. You know just do things half way, then blame the line employee when things don't work right. Its you typical upper management philosophy, it works.

They give us crap and we'll make it work. This place may not be the best place to work but its still got the best cops bar none. We are that good.

If we had half the stuff that Hollywood or Springs had we would be unbelievably efficient because we are that good, but the city doesn't see it that way because there is no foresight here. They just constantly try to reinvent the wheel.

Its not like the stuff isn't out there, and its not like there isn't any money to do it ($50 million reserve, earning interest most likely at 5% apr, which is $2.5 million a year).

Imagine being out with someone who gives you a B.S. name running him through D.A.V.I.D. right there from your patrol car laptop via an air card, how easy would the name game be? Coral Springs P.D. issues their officers cell phones so if they are out with a person and the officers computer is down, their dispatch will send a picture via text message through the cell phone so they can see who the are out with. I know, I have seen it and it is amazing.

Why don't we have this technology? Because my friend we are still in quest for fire mode, running around in loin cloths, and throwing crap at each other, while everyone else is in the space age. We have a long way to go.

11-27-2007, 03:43 PM
Come and join the elite BSO force

11-27-2007, 05:51 PM

I wouldn't call an agency that doesn't know how to work a perimeter "elite." You just keep thinking that if it makes you feel better there, coolwhip.

"my dog has no nose"
"well, how does he smell"
"awful"

:lol:

Copper
11-27-2007, 06:55 PM
Hey, as long as we keep those guys upstairs in the IT department, the longer it will take to put the cameras in the cars (if it ever happens at all).

Besides....the chief says "we're getting verizon air cards".....so it MUST be true (weren't we supposed to be paperless at some point too?).

11-27-2007, 08:13 PM
We have always re-invented the wheel here... remember the Millions waisted on the Forte's years ago? But, keep in mind... with the air cards comes the cameras and mics... ie BIG BROTHER!!!!

11-27-2007, 08:18 PM

I wouldn't call an agency that doesn't know how to work a perimeter "elite." You just keep thinking that if it makes you feel better there, coolwhip.

"my dog has no nose"
"awful"

when the day BSO doesn't know how work a perimeter will be the day pigs fly. I wish they send your wonder bread azz to Pompano or Lauderdale lakes so we can show you what the streets are all about. and how to set a real perimeter. We at BSO are street smart, we don't have BIG Brother looking over us every second. so shit the F@$k up, you city rat. and if you got a problem come to me, Pompano Area two alpha. Oh! I forgot you city cops can't leave city boundaries. So I will come to you because have jurisdiction there too. County wide baby.

11-27-2007, 08:48 PM

"my dog has no nose"
"awful"

when the day BSO doesn't know how work a perimeter will be the day pigs fly. I wish they send your wonder bread azz to Pompano or Lauderdale lakes so we can show you what the streets are all about. and how to set a real perimeter. We at BSO are street smart, we don't have BIG Brother looking over us every second. so shizzat the F@$k up, you city rat. and if you got a problem come to me, Pompano Area two alpha. Oh! I forgot you city cops can't leave city boundaries. So I will come to you because have jurisdiction there too. County wide baby.

Wow, they're half retarded too. Go take your extra chromosome and become a special olympic power lifter.

Answer me this then. How come every time we annex an area you have had and deal with your former fine citizens I here: "They the city, they ain't county calm down cuz!" Keep talking your self up if it makes you feel better. "The citizens" know what time it is.

Regardless you guys have no contract and are in the middle a union war. I'm sure it's just peachy there. The only reason "Big Brother" isn't watching you, now, is because he is in prison. We are going through what you spent the last 10 years going through.

Yippy, you're county wide, piss off the wrong guy your on midnights in Weston citing people for having their storm shutters up too long.

Whatever helps you justify your existence, peepants.

11-27-2007, 09:55 PM
Hey, as long as we keep those guys upstairs in the IT department, the longer it will take to put the cameras in the cars (if it ever happens at all).

Besides....the chief says "we're getting verizon air cards".....so it MUST be true (weren't we supposed to be paperless at some point too?).

Keeping those guys up there is a double edge sword. We we're supposed to be paperless by 2000. Hey, if the Chief says he's going to do something, I believe him (that's sarcasm).

"give 'em to mikey, he'll eat anything"

11-27-2007, 11:36 PM
when the day BSO doesn't know how work a perimeter will be the day pigs fly. I wish they send your wonder bread azz to Pompano or Lauderdale lakes so we can show you what the streets are all about. and how to set a real perimeter. We at BSO are street smart, we don't have BIG Brother looking over us every second. so shizzat the F@$k up, you city rat. and if you got a problem come to me, Pompano Area two alpha. Oh! I forgot you city cops can't leave city boundaries. So I will come to you because have jurisdiction there too. County wide baby.
Now I feel bad for you 10-8 SO guys... I know this clown doesn't represent you. We're always here for you when you need us, and we know the same is true for you guys. Good luck in your contract. I hope we both get the support we deserve.

11-29-2007, 12:57 AM
I agree this is insane.

Other agencys have DAVID access from the cars Pines does, so does Davie. They also have internet access to check emails instead of having 4 computers for 400 however many this week officers we have.

Paperless reporting should have been implemented by 1999.

11-30-2007, 01:36 AM
We apparently all of us without laptops (me) will be getting them all the way up to the guys on FTO. The city ordered 300 of the "air-cards" rumor is that will allow us access to email in the car and DAVID and ebay for holiday shopping

11-30-2007, 06:04 AM
We apparently all of us without laptops (me) will be getting them all the way up to the guys on FTO. The city ordered 300 of the "air-cards" rumor is that will allow us access to email in the car and DAVID and ebay for holiday shopping

WOW!!! Here is what it will look like in what I call FLPD gets air cards. Some of you may remember it as "The Dawn of Man" scene from 2001: A Space Odyessey. Its weird because I swear that cave looks like the briefing room.

If you fast forward to about 2:35 into it you get to the good part. Enjoy...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sdoA3AJ6zGE

Karlm
11-30-2007, 11:48 PM
[quote="Mr. Slate":2epn5f0d]Why can't our department contact the people who set up Hollywood or Coral Springs patrol cars and say " We want what they have in their cars but just put our name on it"? Why is it so difficult for our department to eliminate those in positions of technology now that have given us nothing but crap for years and replace them with people who know what they are doing? Why do we have police officers assigned to the technology unit? Why hasn't anyone from the technology unit ever come and met with officers to see what they need on the road to make them more efficient?

There is nothing stopping the city from doing any of this other than the fact that they really don't care and they are ignorant. It's more with less all the way around with man power and technology. They don't realize that it costs more money to keep repairing out-dated technology than it does to upgrade to newer technology. The older computers get the harder it is to find the parts to replace them, as rare parts are more expensive.

We need an actual I.T. department with an actual I.T. Administrator and I.T personnel that are not officers, just I.T. people. Then you could have officers assigned to that department to better adapt the technology for LEO use but that makes way to much sense and would create too much efficiency. Why do that when you could have some old fat cop up there that can't tell the difference between a computer and a toaster running things. It's worked so far, right? The logic is flawed though because you don't give I.T. people guns and put them out on the street to fight crime. Why the hell would you make a cop and I.T. administrator?

The reason it works is because we make it work because its all we have. They sent Carl to a couple of classes, and, bam, he can fix a computer. Where you have guys that have Masters degrees in this stuff out there who could actually do us some good, but no, we'll use inexperienced people instead. You know just do things half way, then blame the line employee when things don't work right. Its you typical upper management philosophy, it works.

They give us crap and we'll make it work. This place may not be the best place to work but its still got the best cops bar none. We are that good.

If we had half the stuff that Hollywood or Springs had we would be unbelievably efficient because we are that good, but the city doesn't see it that way because there is no foresight here. They just constantly try to reinvent the wheel.

Its not like the stuff isn't out there, and its not like there isn't any money to do it ($50 million reserve, earning interest most likely at 5% apr, which is $2.5 million a year).

Imagine being out with someone who gives you a B.S. name running him through D.A.V.I.D. right there from your patrol car laptop via an air card, how easy would the name game be? Coral Springs P.D. issues their officers cell phones so if they are out with a person and the officers computer is down, their dispatch will send a picture via text message through the cell phone so they can see who the are out with. I know, I have seen it and it is amazing.

Why don't we have this technology? Because my friend we are still in quest for fire mode, running around in loin cloths, and throwing crap at each other, while everyone else is in the space age. We have a long way to go.[/quote:2epn5f0d]

Karlm
11-30-2007, 11:52 PM
[quote="Mr. Slate":300ed227]Why can't our department contact the people who set up Hollywood or Coral Springs patrol cars and say " We want what they have in their cars but just put our name on it"? Why is it so difficult for our department to eliminate those in positions of technology now that have given us nothing but crap for years and replace them with people who know what they are doing? Why do we have police officers assigned to the technology unit? Why hasn't anyone from the technology unit ever come and met with officers to see what they need on the road to make them more efficient?

Why don't we have this technology? Because my friend we are still in quest for fire mode, running around in loin cloths, and throwing crap at each other, while everyone else is in the space age. We have a long way to go.[/quote:300ed227]
I must admit it was just too hard to sit back and let you kick this team / me with your anonymous and destructive comments. Yes you able hide for being named and represent facts that a totally not true.
Maybe there is some joy in attacking a brother officer / officers who are truly making an effort to provide technology and service to officers on the road. If you’re frustrated with the speed of technology being released in the field I share that with you and we are working hard to make things happen fast. Manpower is not the whole reason. My responses are personal and not an official response from the Police Department or the City.

While it may have been better not to respond I felt I had a duty in the interest of a team that works hard here and is very dedicated to what we do. You indicated we don’t care. You really need to spend some time with us so you can think about your hits again. So please let me provide you with some facts and the truth. I also have provided my name/e-mail since I don’t need to hide. By the way I spell Karl with a K. If my weight is upsetting you I don’t apologize. If you think I am less than you in the way of a cop I have no way to compare since you won’t face me as an equal and tell me how I have failed you. If I am too old for you I don’t apologize since I was not aware that we were going to go after officers that were a little older. Last time I checked that was still OK. I also checked on Google and looked at a toaster and a laptop and with no surprise we knew what both were. We all have our war stories maybe you can hear mine some day and judge me fairly. I have had many officers tell me how they would never do what I do since the work is just plain hard and has no reward. I disagree with them and I think there are many rewards. There are the many officers that have thanked me for helping them with their laptops to asking a question about a home PC. In other cases they wanted to know how to keep their kids safe on line and how to block certain sites from their kids. I also see results in the laptops images we create and that they deploy. No it’s not combat duty but I do it to help the cause. Don’t get me wrong I like my job but it’s not a golf game here. No it’s not patrol but it has a real purpose like many other jobs that officers are assigned to in the department. I hope to share that with you here.

In reference to outdated technology I am not clear on what you are referring to so I will do my best to answer with real facts. The Mobile data team does a great job here. They are dedicated and go above and beyond what is required. You mentioned repairing outdated technology. I assume you are talking about the laptops in the cars. Those laptops (156) of them were issued several years ago with an MDT program that works well and has continued to work. The plan provided to us was these laptops were to last 4 to 6 years. Almost all have done so well. Those same Panasonic laptops have had less than a 1% failure rate for returns and repairs. Last year we sent back for repair a few units. Most of the repairs have been related damage form accidents or in two cases the screens were cracked. We also had a hard drive or two fail but we were able to replace them in house. So the spare parts and repairs issues are just not a fact. I also want to add that if we needed parts, they are not rare of hard to find so again incorrect.

Now to answer your comments about our staffing and I.T administrators. I don’t speak for the department and I am not the director of I.T but I can tell you what I know about staffing. We have a total of (12) twelve people assigned to the Police information systems division. Two of the twelve are officers. Myself and one other officer that is TDY here. I am sure everyone knows who he is and how hard he also works. Of that group there are several systems administrators. So we do have actual system administrators as you put it. Please stop by and see if I am correct some day. We also answer to command staff and the I.T director so we are not running things here. We are tasked with projects and respond to those projects to the best of our ability. We are just doing our best to deploy the technology. We answer to a chain just like you.

You indicated that you can’t imagine why they have any officers working in I.T. Yet you say in the same breath that the officers in I.T should be adapting the technology for LEO use. I can tell you form my experience why we have officers in I.T. We are working on LEO items and also handle and configure technology items that directly involve patrol. You stated why don’t then ask us? I can only tell you what I know and that is we had many users groups meetings as it related to the MDT, in car video testers, and soon air car and field reporting. If you want to participate we will be happy to have you. If we are not communicating that well then we need to do it better. Let me also share that most of the changes we made to the way a current MDT layout came from the user groups and test users. The same is true for the in car camera testing. While that has a lot more configuration to go, the mobile data team would be happy to have anyone participate in providing feedback so we can incorporate it into the final product. There is still a lot of time to do this. The same is true for the air cards that have been ordered.

You also mentioned lack of efficiency and expertise in your list of facts. I beg to differ with you on this. This staff is very well experienced and professional. Yep I guess you can minimize my experience with a few classes but I can see you did no checking. I was placed here some time ago on a TDY. I attended a lot more than a few classes many on my own dollar and I receive a lot of calls from agencies needed my help. Those are some of the same agencies that are always mentioned to me as being better and more advanced than us. Again you discredited me and a team that has a lot of knowledge and experience. Now the Masters degree, I am aware of one officer that has this Master’s degree in the computer field. I think that is one heck of an achievement and I respect it. Unlike you I agree if we had the need for application programming or code and the opening he would be of great value added to the team. He may even have more talents that we don’t know but the slam is on me here and he is not in question. But there is more to it than a degree as with any profession. We work with RF, Cellular, Cad applications and mobile data hardware and while I will not finish my degree until in Information systems management till late 08 there is not one class that was available that deals with these technologies since they are very specialized. But of course anyone in this field and that has the education could and would be an asset.

You stated that crap was issued. I again beg to differ. The team deployed a quality laptop with a MDT program. I heard that the laptops never worked, yet we only have a hand full of service complaints from patrol a month. Are we perfect? I don’t think so but we do care and want to do the best we can. Now we can all agree on the limitations of using the RF (radio) system which prevented us from using the applications we all wanted in the cars like Outlook, David, BSO picks, and CJ net as well as internet access. There is no doubt this was very frustrating for patrol. That has now been addresses with the 300 cellular modems and a lot of new laptops. Those laptops are of the highest quality and are the most up to date technology from Panasonic. In reference to Hollywood and Springs I agree that they were able to deploy these technologies faster since they had no RF system and were able to start with cellular service from the start of their mobile programs. They also have a much smaller investment to make. Don’t believe me just ask them. I also have visited them and seen their mobile systems. Cellular is a huge investment for FLPD and the monthly cost a lot when you have over 300 cars. But we do need it to move off the RF radio system. In addition there are t-1 lines, servers and firewalls and it was not required to have it for the in car video system. The new cell service with Verizon REV A will place us right up there with any agency that has laptop technology. So yes they will be able to send a BOLO with a picture and by e-mail. As far as field reporting there was a serious problem with the FORT’E and the software for field reporting. That product was selected by a previous Chief but I can’t blame him since the company promised it would even wash dishes. That software was not developed here and was not configured here. It was seriously flawed and was removed from the system. I think it took great vision to move away from it. Many cities are still trying to use that system to this day with no success. The current field reporting software which is directly part of our CAD system has been task for deployment but staff wanted to get the laptops out to those who did not have one first. The air cards upon arrival will also be deployed quickly and they will function as we need them to. So I share with you this. I agree that FLPD is that good. I think we all deserve the best technology that money can buy. Nothing is too good for a Fort Lauderdale police officer. As of today almost every officer that was without a laptop has one. If we missed one he or she will have it soon. We will then replace all the older equipment. We are working an accident reports and field reporting daily and are very committed to making our system the best. I think we will soon be the best out there when it comes to technology in the cars. I hope you will at least recognize that we do care about these issues as a team and the two officers here are always looking for a way to get things done faster. Right now our project plan is solid and has realistic goals; the only thing that is holding us back is waiting on equipment that is on the way.

Your comments were obviously and personally directly at me. I hope you will e-mail me directly and tell me how I deserved all that. While I can take it, I would like to know why I am taking it and who I am taking it from. If anything I would respect you for it when it’s fact. I will never understand why you or any of us would say such things on a public site to another officer; I would ask that you at least be factual. This way I can take it since it’s true. This is a one shot post from me and the rest will need to be direct E-mail. You can do a fake yahoo, AOL account or your choice but at least I can keep it with us (Police) I for one refuse to discredit anyone here Sworn or Civilian because as you said we are that good.

Regards Brother
Karl M
(954) 828 5643
KMaracotta@fortlauderdale.gov

12-01-2007, 12:37 AM
Well said Karl. I don't know you, but give you credit for coming on here and not slamming someone else.

12-01-2007, 01:28 AM
I, for one, didn't understand HALF of what Karl was talking about. That is EXACTLY why we need officers in the I.T. program. Somebody has to dummy that stuff up so those of us without ISM degrees can understand it.

12-01-2007, 02:20 AM
Karl with a K a few of us were talking about that B.S post that was aimed at you. Let me be one of the guys who just would like to say thank you. I do know you and understand what a kick in the ass it must feel like to have another cop talk like that to you and hide behind the internet. I am proud of you for not lowering yourself. They forget that you are just an Indian like many of us out here. Do they really think you create policy or provide money from the budget for tech stuff? Does anyone know how it really works up there????? Who is next guys do we start on our moms next? Now they want to cut up one of their own a senior guy. Who cares what you think about him how about some respect for ourselves as cops.

Barak
12-01-2007, 02:23 AM
Karl, nice post & thanks for explaining. It's easy for anonymous posters to take cheap shots- of course, it's cowardly too- so try not to take it personal.

Now about my new laptop......

12-01-2007, 02:26 AM
Hmmm, well thank you Karl that answers alot of questions I had about us being somewhat behind in accessing some sites and email.

I will admit the Toughbook's are awesome computers compaired to BSO and Davie who do not use them. The CAD works good for me 2 years so far with no issues.

12-01-2007, 02:57 AM
Karl
Just thanks Bro
I have seen the stress they put you under up there at times.
You have never have turned me away with my dumb questions all the time. We need you right there my man. Then don't know you !!!!! How about a laptop for my kid??

12-01-2007, 03:52 AM
Hey Gucci
as your friends call you. we know you and would love to know who the jerk is.

Copper
12-01-2007, 12:45 PM
I think a lot of the animosity stems from the fact that there were a large group of new hires who went without MDT's for nearly 1-2 years off FTO. Karl and Mike being the only guys upstairs that anyone really knows, the frustration got pointed at them, unjustly. I too am guilty of speculating negatively on why I had yet to get a computer. I regret that way of thinking.
The Toughbooks are amazing, the best patrol computer you can get. Try having a Dell in your car. Not only can they not take the beating they take from being strapped to a stand running code 3, can you imagine not having a touch screen? It's good to see that the powers that be actually made the good decision to start and remain with them, even though they're considerably more expensive. Anyway, I look forward to the installation of air cards/modems....it's about time.

12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
Your are right about that. I felt the same way about my lack of laptop. I also now have a brand new one in my car now and I know it was not Mike or Karl that kept me from one. Thanks for what you guys do and just like the road you do more with less. Our issues are not with you guys and never should have been. Now that I love you guys get me an air card....

12-02-2007, 07:09 AM
Karl I really wouldn't put much stock in what some anonymous person says about you on the internet. Celebrities deal with it all the time. At least you don't have paparazzi following you around while you're on vacation in Malibau.

There are alot of frustrated misinformed people here with obvious anger issues. It really seems to be getting worse as negotiations go on. There have been quite a few venomous posts and alot of name calling on here. It's very unfortunate that you were called out by name, but seriously, and I'm not looking to start a beef, if the worst thing that you have going right now is some jerk calling you names on the internet, I'd say things are going pretty well.

We all know that you and Mike just install and maintain the stuff. You guys make due just like we all do. Every time that I've had a problem with my MDT you guys have fixed it or answered my question without delay. Keep up the good work. As you can see, it seems that you have a vast amount of support from your peers.

We all know that the surrounding agencies have better toys than us. I've seen it, we've all seen it. It makes their job easier, but it doesn't make them better cops. I have to say it be nice to have better technology, but anyone who has been here a half a minute knows that the FLPD has been behind the times with technology, which has very little to do with you guys and everything to do with the allocation of how money is spent. Anyone that has been to a commission meeting knows that the priority for the city is pavers, pipes, and pool heaters. Very little is money is allocated for us except for the very unnecessary car cameras, and I guess, now, very useful air cards!

For the most part everyone posts on here anonymously and from time to time gotten into some "heated debates." I know when I started posting I got under the skin of some people. I really don't see the point of getting on here just to tear each other down. I read all these posts about battles, wars, fights, and "sticking it to the city," then I see all the posts where people just insult other people. We need to be unified if we intend to get where we want to be. If the city manager reads this, like we suspect he does, and sees us fighting each other, then we aren't going to get nearly anything we deserve.

Anyway, off my soap box.

Well, Barak I'm back to fishing. You and Darwin don't worry about my Psychological , Emotional, and Physical well being. My Chi is centered this place hasn't gotten to me. No hard feelings.

By the way, I caught 2 today.

12-02-2007, 09:53 AM
Karl always does a good job..... enough making love to Karl.... that being said... I went YEARS here without a PC in my car and I truly believe it made me a better Officer for it. I had a college-ruled notebook strapped to my computer stand like so many others did. Makes you keep track and write things down and you get a great "radio ear". Doesnt hurt going old school for a while. Too many rely on the computer and you really can tell when your listening to them over the radio. Now that I have one it is a great piece of equipment... I'm sure Teletype loves them too.... but it still wouldn't kill the new guys to go without them for a little while when training.

Barak
12-02-2007, 12:59 PM
Hey J-
I'm glad you've got this in the right perspective now & got a day in fishing. Our job is stressful enough; why in the world would anyone want to com ein here and make it any worse? You made a good point that I've been trying to make ever since this site when active. I fail to see how putting our grievances and arguing/name-calling/bashing each other in a public forum helps any of us or our current situation. That's what FOP meetings, post briefing discussions & coffee meets are for.

And I thought you'd appreciate my new quote. I got a million of them!