PDA

View Full Version : READY FOR BATTLE

11-20-2007, 10:50 AM
Coral Springs: Deal with police includes pay raises, patrol car use
November 20, 2007
The City Commission has signed off on a police union contract for 200 sworn officers who have been working without a contract since November 2006.

Among the highlights: Officers will receive a 10 percent pay raise; specialized units such as school resource officers, detectives, canine and juvenile officers will receive an annual bonus; and pension enhancements.

In addition, until now, officers were allowed to take their police car home only if they lived in Coral Springs or five surrounding cities. Now they can take their car home anywhere in Broward or Palm Beach counties.

"We have the premier contract in the county," said Detective Scott Myers, a lead contract negotiator.

The contract runs through Nov. 15, 2009.

AND they have a COLA!

11-20-2007, 12:53 PM
It seems that the amount of policework you actually do is inversely related to your compensation. Or, could it be that cities that value their police are able to hire and retain quality officers, thereby creating positive morale, which in turn reduces crime?

11-20-2007, 05:49 PM
Coral Springs here I come!

Hopefully they have a few spots available, sounds like it is going to be one of the mass exodus locations.

11-21-2007, 12:01 AM
Coral Springs here I come!

Hopefully they have a few spots available, sounds like it is going to be one of the mass exodus locations.

If you don't like working, sure. On that note, the Hollywood recruiting thing I saw made me wonder how we can retain anyone. If not for their recent black eye, it sounds pretty tempting: Comparable pay, 2.5% for Evenings, 5% for Midnights, 5% for FTO, 5% for detective spots. (so a topped out midnights FTO makes, what, $70k?!?) Apparently good and plentiful equipment (no month-long wait for pants).

I just hope "our" city management removes it's collective head from it's collective posterior so that they can do what they need to do. I don't want to see what happens if we get this one shoved down our throats.

11-26-2007, 01:09 AM
Well if you have any questions about how good working For Hollywood is call up K-9 clark he came over to us. Yes we had a little problem but what department doesn't we still are in the top 4 for pay and the top 2or 3 for pension 22yrs 80% we only put in 8.5% and we have an 8yr drop we also get 2.5%for afternoons and 5% for mids we also work 4 ten hour shift. Also our IA is not proactive and looking to screw you we still can do real police work

11-30-2007, 12:08 AM
Just curious you guys still without a contract and if so have you guys heard anything about it yet.

Barak
11-30-2007, 12:38 AM
yes, we are still w/out a contract but still negotiating w/the city

11-30-2007, 06:35 AM
Just curious you guys still without a contract and if so have you guys heard anything about it yet.

Even if we get the best contract ever in the history of any police department were every cop gets his or her own personal chimpanzee to replace the tazer, or for finger print processing on burglaries, or just over all comic relief. (Because chimps are funny. Those trunk monkey commercials are great.) It won't matter because this place will still be a dump because of all the mico managing, useless action plans, and proactive IA nonsense.

GET OFF OUT BACKS!!!!!!!

Don't apply here until there is a change in city government and department leadership. Stay far away! They treat registered sex offenders better than they do the cops here.

Barak
11-30-2007, 12:06 PM
proactive IA nonsense? we have the most reactive IA out there. what r u talking about?

11-30-2007, 04:31 PM
proactive IA nonsense? we have the most reactive IA out there. what r u talking about?
I assume J-Cop confused the brass and their obsession with AVL's for IA. I'm with you on our IA. They seem to do what's right lately. (but I still have memories of the city manager pushing for termination over "$150 cash") Just playing devil's advocate...

11-30-2007, 04:51 PM

Yes, I ment Brass not IA. Sorry Barak. I guess we're even because half the time I have no idea what you're talking about.

I do have one question for you. What is with your stupid little quote anyway? What if the champion is knocked unconscious and really can't get up, is he still a champion? Watch one to many Rocky Movies Barak?

Oh, great now I've done it. I feel a gen-X cop speech and a whirlwind of fart coming my way.

Barak
11-30-2007, 11:25 PM
No, I agree w/you on this one Jim. The c/m and his boy Bob Bates tend to over-react in all disciplinary issues. The salad caper was only the first. An even greater offense was the demotion of RussS. What a travesty of justice that was, especially in light of some of the other nonsense that has transpired w/certain prima donna & protected personnel over the years.

And howbout what they did to RobH w/that nonsense in the courtroom? I'm glad they all got their day in court; well Russ is getting his next week. I'm betting the arbitrator is gonna poke the city right in the nose over that one. I hope the give him his stripes back next week & he demands an assignment befitting his seniority.

Barak
11-30-2007, 11:30 PM

Yes, I ment Brass not IA. Sorry Barak. I guess we're even because half the time I have no idea what you're talking about.

I do have one question for you. What is with your stupid little quote anyway? What if the champion is knocked unconscious and really can't get up, is he still a champion? Watch one to many Rocky Movies Barak?

Oh, great now I've done it. I feel a gen-X cop speech and a whirlwind of fart coming my way.

J-cop- who are you referring to when you talk about the "brass?" I hope you're talking about only certain senior managers w/in the PD. I'm telling you I talk w/the majors (well, 2 out of 3) & the captains (w/the exception of a couple kool-aid drinkers) & they are just as frustrated as we are. Ditto for the sergeants. The brass, at least as far as I'm concerned, are on board w/us for the most part. They still have a job to do tho, even if they don't necessarily like it or agree w/it. That's part of the job of being a boss.

As for my quote, it's a reminder to never give up. I think it's pretty applicable to those of us in law enforcement.

And no, no other speeches coming at you so relax whippersnapper.

12-01-2007, 12:04 AM
You know Barak, you're right. The verbal and written counseling for the AVL nonsense just comes out of thin air. The suspension's for accidents for officers involved in pursuits for possible BSO sergeant s-5 suspect's are totally warranted. Everything is just peachy here, pile on more action plans, more with less, and feed us more b.s.

Oh, and thanks to the chief for supporting us "behind closed doors." I can't express how valued that makes me feel as an officer and employee, that my chief can't publicly support me and my fellow officers. What are we lepers? Or is the chief afraid that showing his support might crush his chances to run for mayor?

Barak, don't kid yourself with the exception of a few captains, everyone above the rank of sergeant is out for themselves. If the majors support us it would be nice if they did it without hiding under their desks. I can understand that bosses have their job to do, but I think that they, and you, forget that the main job of a supervisor is to run interference for their subordinates. Where is our interference from the higher ups? You guys are supposed to protect us from the nonsense B.S. when you can, not create more of it. It seems that "the brass" creates more interference and B.S. than it is supposed to filter.

If you think that us "whipper snappers" and the vets out there doing the job think that "the brass" is on board with us, then you don't have a clue.

Barak
12-01-2007, 02:16 AM
J, you and I may wear the same blue bag but friend, you and I are never going to agree on some of these issues. I know of a couple of officers who got counseling slips and one sergeant who got a letter for doing in excess of 100 mph on the turnpike but I don't know anything about anyone getting written while responding to a deputy homicide call. To even hear that out loud sounds ludicrous. And are you suggesting that being verbally counseled is now something that should be forbidden? I'll take a good ass-chewing any day over paper in my jacket.

As for the chief, I've never voiced any support for him. I think he lost his way a long time ago. He certainly has lost the support of his managers w/rare exception & you can guess of who I speak. I most definitely think he's in it for himself at this time but his legacy is sure going to be a crappy one. He has almost singlehandedly done irreperable harm to this agency.

And as for the those above the rank of sergeant, well friend you may think you know some of those folks but it appears to me that you don't know them at all. Many of those people are still my friends and they voice their displeasure daily but they do it w/each other, not out in public forums like this. Out for themsleves? Ok, I'll give it to you that there are a few that fit that category but most are in there quietly fighting their way thru the muck too. But if you think a boss' main job is to "run interference for their subordinates" then you have no clue what it means to be a boss.

Certainly they should defend their people when they are wrongly accused but run interference? Exactly what school of supervision and management did you ever learn that one from? C'mon, you know better than that.

12-01-2007, 05:32 AM
Ok, Barak. you win, uncle. Posting on here is eating my brain. The personal attacks, the mud slinging, and the animosity it creates towards each other. It just takes minutes off our lives. I personally think it just adds to the frustration of what is going on at the PD.

I really haven't seen anything constructive coming out of people arguing back and forth and picking at each other anonymously. I'm guilty of it too. I've said somethings that I'm not proud of, mostly out of frustration. Still that's not the best excuse.

I'm taking up fishing again.

Barak
12-01-2007, 11:01 AM
Friend, what I see is you allowing this place to eat at you personally. Eventually it's gonna cause you permanent physical, psychological or emotional harm. I say this in all sincerity- if it's really that bad for you, you need to get out now before something bad happens to you. It just ain't worth it.

12-01-2007, 11:10 PM
what