PDA

View Full Version : STRIKE TEAM

11-19-2007, 02:34 PM
WHAT IS THIS ?

11-19-2007, 06:48 PM
It's Vic Mackey and his band of open-container marauders that are putting fear in the eyes of Antoine Mitchell and the rest of the scumbags in Farmington. They've done an excellent job of eradicating beverage violations at the Four Corners.

Barak
11-19-2007, 08:56 PM
Now THAT was funny!!!!

11-20-2007, 11:24 AM
Now come on, when was the last time you guys ever heard someone on the strike team make a 56 arrest ? Sound like you're throwing salt on the game ? WHY IS THAT ?? is it stats maybe ? or is it the amount of arrest those guys average in a day.

11-20-2007, 12:20 PM
Now come on, when was the last time you guys ever heard someone on the strike team make a 56 arrest ? Sound like you're throwing salt on the game ? WHY IS THAT ?? is it stats maybe ? or is it the amount of arrest those guys average in a day.

Maybe the 4 guys left answering calls don't have time to make arrests since they are doing their JOBS answering citizen calls for police assistance. Strike Team is just another BS smoke and mirrors game that sounds catchy but accoplishes absolutely nothing.

11-20-2007, 12:49 PM

Maybe the 4 guys left answering calls don't have time to make arrests since they are doing their JOBS answering citizen calls for police assistance. Strike Team is just another BS smoke and mirrors game that sounds catchy but accoplishes absolutely nothing.

I had no idea district 2 had so many bodies that they could bravo people up to go be proactive. Can they spare a couple of bodies for the shifts that are short? Oh, what's that? They're just as short? Sounds like a blue falcon deal to me.

I sure hope "scab n tired" will actually rork the wule if and when we do so. Remember: Stats might make you look good, but if everyone hates you for not being a team player, it's tough to get out of patrol.

Copper
11-20-2007, 05:47 PM
The strike team is a ridiculous stat puking machine. They're on beer and pipe patrol. Obviously when you're strictly proactive and stopping EVERYONE you see you're eventually going to get something decent. But I don't know how many times I've had my radio on, coming in to mids and heard a call come out and dispatch ask for someone to clear for a 94. No one clears (b/c all the call mules are actually on something)...then finally a guy will clear and 3-4 minutes later you'll hear 16XX go 98 report on a 56. This isn't their fault, they're TOLD not to clear for ANYTHING, expect code 3 94's (I'd hope).
Ok, yeah...they do "burglary stings" and get 21 guys.....do you need FOUR bravo units to run that? And the way I've heard some of them set up (new convertible, parked at 4 corners with a new Trek in the back and an iPod lying in the front seat) you're only going to catch the stupidest people that fall for it (that would get arrested for something else anyway). I feel bad for the guys that are stuck answering the calls.
The scary thing is, that guys come off FTO in D2S3 and immediately get put on this team. Some of these, guys, although maybe they're good guys (I don't know any of them), haven't worked a normal work day since FTO. They are yet to listen to the radio, answer calls, set boxes and take paper, on anything other than a 57 (pipe), 27, 56, or 85.
I guess if I just got off FTO I would think that the whole idea is badass, b/c you truly don't know any better....but when they move districts/shifts in Feb they're going to be rookie's off FTO all over again. And their co-workers aren't going to put up with them making dumb stops/arrests when they're 19 calls holding. Last time I checked this is why we have SPU, CPU..etc .etc .etc. What happened to the new guys getting stuck with the crappiest calls....I remember (not that it's been that long) taking a 21 and a 16 every day when I had the highest CCN. I'm a better officer because of it though.
They don't realize it now, but they're being used as puppets and really hurting their progression as officers. Not to mention they've been Bravo'ed up 99% of the time...always having someone to help you.
But once again, someone needs to make a name for themselves and if they can show XXX amounts of arrests and stats in their district they'll get all the credit....meanwhile the strike team sacrifices progression, thus ultimately hurting the department in the long run.
Off my soap box.......now.....

11-20-2007, 07:51 PM
OK we never ask to be on the Strike Team in the first place, it was force upon us by the higher ups, and all the D2 S3 guys know that. All the Officers that work in D2 S3 was told about this new change, and way of life when it first started a few months ago. We all know it started when we had a new change of "BOSSES" in the District.
Now when we were told about this new method of handling calls no one piped up, and voiced there concern or dislikes about the whole STRIKE TEAM idea at the time. As a matter of fact everybody in our district at one time or another has been on the STRIKE TEAM. Now what they produce or do is on them.
The steady guys you see bravo up all the time are the ones who "produce the amount of work that the BOSSES like to see in a day" hence the 99% of the time they're together. Now we as "NEW Officers" rookies or generation "Y" or whatever you wanna call us, understand this system is F*@ked up. I at least try to help out with the amount of calls we have everyday holding. (16XX to dispatch is there anything else WE can help you with). Alert tone 41/0 just occurred crickets crickets, 3B2XX show us in en route copy box, Oh 3A2XX and 3A2XX 51, what the 10-20 hold my numbers, on a 22 MI Besides we hear people all day milking calls, taking an hour and a half to clear out a 22, 13, MI, on a BS call to begin with thus make calls hold and stack calls , and basically shooting ourselves in the foot.
Now if you have a issue with the Strike TEAM take it up to the higher ups, not the poor puppet of a rookie on the team. If I work with you come talk to me FACE 2FACE guy with the "HEAD" and if I don't work with you then shut ur mouth, and pull our reports in the past few months and see how many 56.27.85, 57(pipe) arrest we make. I'm off my soap box now. :x
Oh one last thing there are some really good Officers who arok in D2 S3 who bust there ass everyday, day in and day out, and if we "WURK TO DA WULE" We'll work to the policy !

11-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Chill out there little man. Nobody was directly bashing you for being assigned anything. The comments are about how stupid it is to do the "Strike Team" with its catchy name when we don't have enough officers to staff the district adequately. All of the fancy named little dog and pony shows should be saved for when the manpower issue has been resolved. I hope you don't take things that personally on the street or get that worked up when somebody challenges you or its going to be a long career.

Barak
11-20-2007, 10:18 PM
wow, glad that wasn't me that said that or else I'd be getting blasted by now!

11-21-2007, 12:03 AM
wow, glad that wasn't me that said that or else I'd be getting blasted by now!
We know you were thinking it. He just said it tactfully. Hence the difference in response.

Barak
11-21-2007, 01:25 AM
oh that's right, because I don't agree w/everything you all say, I'm wrong. Thanks for reminding me.

Copper
11-21-2007, 02:51 AM
Yeah, Face2Face....I didn't mean to direct any derogatory comments at any officers themselves. I really don't know any of you, at least that well....I'm not judging you. Like I said, you aren't doing anything wrong, it's the fault of a over active command staff wanting to make a name for their new positions in comp stat. The fact is though, as new officers, everyone has to play the game to make it through their career....I can't fault you for playing.

11-21-2007, 04:38 AM
Whew ! to all the members that responded to my last post so far, thank you for understanding the current situation. I hope I shined a little light as to what we have dealt with these past few months.
Myself and my fellow co-workers (aka Strike Team members) are always trying to improve as Officers, and always seek help and proper guidance from Officers Old and New. I understand that times are very rough right now, but we're still Officers, and we're still Family. I know this is gonna sound a little funny coming from me, but we need to stick together as a big huge blue family. The majority of the public isn't gonna take care of us, so we need to.

(Vic mackey, Curtis 'Lemonhead' Lemansky, Ronnie Gardocki)

11-21-2007, 07:25 PM
Whew ! to all the members that responded to my last post so far, thank you for understanding the current situation. I hope I shined a little light as to what we have dealt with these past few months.
Myself and my fellow co-workers (aka Strike Team members) are always trying to improve as Officers, and always seek help and proper guidance from Officers Old and New. I understand that times are very rough right now, but we're still Officers, and we're still Family. I know this is gonna sound a little funny coming from me, but we need to stick together as a big huge blue family. The majority of the public isn't gonna take care of us, so we need to.

Who picked Lem as their nickname? He ate one of Guardo's granades. Thanks Shane.

11-22-2007, 07:40 PM
[quote="Face 2 Face":33ovsuwq]Whew ! to all the members that responded to my last post so far, thank you for understanding the current situation. I hope I shined a little light as to what we have dealt with these past few months.

Who picked Lem as their nickname? He ate one of Guardo's granades. Thanks Shane.[/quote:33ovsuwq]

Well nobody likes Shane, and one wants to be Dutch

12-05-2007, 02:15 PM
The strike team is a ridiculous stat puking machine. They're on beer and pipe patrol. Obviously when you're strictly proactive and stopping EVERYONE you see you're eventually going to get something decent. But I don't know how many times I've had my radio on, coming in to mids and heard a call come out and dispatch ask for someone to clear for a 94. No one clears (b/c all the call mules are actually on something)...then finally a guy will clear and 3-4 minutes later you'll hear 16XX go 98 report on a 56. This isn't their fault, they're TOLD not to clear for ANYTHING, expect code 3 94's (I'd hope).
Ok, yeah...they do "burglary stings" and get 21 guys.....do you need FOUR bravo units to run that? And the way I've heard some of them set up (new convertible, parked at 4 corners with a new Trek in the back and an iPod lying in the front seat) you're only going to catch the stupidest people that fall for it (that would get arrested for something else anyway). I feel bad for the guys that are stuck answering the calls.
The scary thing is, that guys come off FTO in D2S3 and immediately get put on this team. Some of these, guys, although maybe they're good guys (I don't know any of them), haven't worked a normal work day since FTO. They are yet to listen to the radio, answer calls, set boxes and take paper, on anything other than a 57 (pipe), 27, 56, or 85.
I guess if I just got off FTO I would think that the whole idea is badass, b/c you truly don't know any better....but when they move districts/shifts in Feb they're going to be rookie's off FTO all over again. And their co-workers aren't going to put up with them making dumb stops/arrests when they're 19 calls holding. Last time I checked this is why we have SPU, CPU..etc .etc .etc. What happened to the new guys getting stuck with the crappiest calls....I remember (not that it's been that long) taking a 21 and a 16 every day when I had the highest CCN. I'm a better officer because of it though.
They don't realize it now, but they're being used as puppets and really hurting their progression as officers. Not to mention they've been Bravo'ed up 99% of the time...always having someone to help you.
But once again, someone needs to make a name for themselves and if they can show . amounts of arrests and stats in their district they'll get all the credit....meanwhile the strike team sacrifices progression, thus ultimately hurting the department in the long run.
Off my soap box.......now.....

I agree with you. But it all comes from the 1500-1600 ccn that are FTO"S now !!!!! they tell the rookies don't clear the call yet, someone else can get it... it's all in the training... the command staff will find out how bad it is real soon... does the quote, " WILL THE LAST ONE WHO QUITS, PLEASE TURN OFF THE LIGHTS " !!!!!!!!

12-13-2007, 08:14 PM
I at least try to help out with the amount of calls we have everyday holding. (16XX to dispatch is there anything else WE can help you with). Alert tone 41/0 just occurred crickets crickets, 3B2XX show us in en route copy box, Oh 3A2XX and 3A2XX 51, what the 10-20 hold my numbers, on a 22 MI Besides we hear people all day milking calls, taking an hour and a half to clear out a 22, 13, MI, on a BS call to begin with thus make calls hold and stack calls , and basically shooting ourselves in the foot.
Now if you have a issue with the Strike TEAM take it up to the higher ups, not the poor puppet of a rookie on the team.
I hate to pile on, but when it comes to safety, I feel I have to speak up. After volunteering as one of the five+ OT units on the STRIKE TEAM shift, I have to revive this topic. I can now see how the newest attempt to reinvent the wheel has backfired. Sure, the rookies are going to be the ones most full of p|ss and vinegar, wanting to lock up the world: They haven't been around long enough to be frustrated.

However, watching these kids go storming into a 300 person block party screaming, "Open container! Open container!" and dragging some impoverished young lad to jail, makes me wonder if they listened to anything on FTO. I realize that the brass are under pressure to make dots go away, or at least increase arrests, but at what cost? Will it take one of these kids getting shot jumping out on some dope dealer in plain clothes in a plain car? (By the way, the dealer, claiming he thought he was getting robbed, will get off.)

Secondly, you have to realize, rook, that if four of you guys are being put 10-6 every day, the guys (with time on) who are getting porked with paper are going to be bitter. Sure, they're going to milk their calls in the hopes of you pulling your weight. When you do, don't get salty on the air. You're doing your JOB! Your first job is not making pipe arrests, or placing malt liquor into evidence. It is backing your brothers. You're not part of some specialty unit/"TEAM." You're a District 2 patrol officer. Until you have some time on, be humble. If you can't be humble, be quiet. But what do I care? It's not my reputation..

I'm not completely faulting the rooks; they don't know any better at this point in their careers. It takes at least 2-3 yrs to become a good cop. I just hope shift change will return some sanity. Senior guys need to protect rookies from themselves sometimes.

12-14-2007, 01:09 AM
I can't wait until they get t-shirts made up. That will be when the groupies start following these "Strike Teamers" and they become world famous!

12-14-2007, 02:52 AM
...... Where do I start ? well how about this for starters, everyday I come to work I dread walking underneath that lie of a sign " FLPD the finest officers to ever walk thu this door"

The reason I say that is because everyday I come to work for this backstabbing/ elementary school of a department I realize that the statement is false, day in and day out.

I now understand why the City, Administration, Citizens and yes our own co-workers, don't really give a crap about the "Officers of FLPD" I'm sorry rookie mistake the "Patrolman of FLPD"

I try everyday to bring a positive attitude to work, and try to put a positive spin on the crappy working conditions that we, and I use that word lightly are subject to as road patrolman. I truly understand how crappy it must be to be that Officer down 6 headers and is still 10-65ing calls holding. I know this because I see it in there eyes and in their body language, day in and day out.

I made it a personal goal to myself, against all orders or taskers of my new responsibilities as a Strike Team member to help the ease the work load of both Dispatchers, and my fellow co- workers. Never for a minuet ever thought I was better than, or above the duties as a Road Patrolman. I believe I was taught better than that from my FTO.

I believe that's where I get my work ethics from, as well as my background from my previous occupation. I HOPE THIS STRIKE TEAM IDEA DIES SOONER THAN LATER BUT WHO AM I "JUST A SOME ROOKIE RIGHT' keyword Rookie, At lease I recognize the fact that I am one, unlike the other guys I see on different shifts and districts walking around the department like they MASTERED PATROL.

But I guess it a lot easier to pick on something that has a title like SsSstrike team. One last thing it not all Rookies the team, just a little S-14

FTO WAS LESS STRESSTUL THAN THE B.S I BEEN THROUGH HERE SINCE BEING CUTTING LOOSE FORM THE PROGRAM

If I can only turn back the hands of time.

12-14-2007, 03:39 AM
Its my guess that you have been here for less than a year maybe year and a half. Listen to the stories from just a few short years ago when we and I mean those of us that worked here more than 5 years were considered by all Florida departments as the best at what we do. We were the cops that nobody screwed with. We were the guys that came in cracked skulls and took care of the problem. We had a department that let us do the job. So lad take heed when you start bashing us for losing faith in the place we bled for a few years back. If you want to know why we laugh at that sign is because we can still be the best but that requires a contribution on the cities part. We need more cops period not more cops running around so that a certain captain can try to shine. We laugh at the strike team because it is nothing more than a flashy moniker to decribe a dog and pony show. Since the inception of the strike team crime in District 2 has not gone down at all. Those of us you bash just laugh because we have seen it before and know that it does nothing.
The job of a police officer is not complicated in itself but does become complicated when you start trying to reinvent the wheel time and again without addressing the real problems. Our problems are low morale from years and not just a year and a half of being treated like crap by the city. Its the lack of manpower and equipment and the devastating reality that things are not getting better.
You make the comment that you wish you could travel back in time just a short distance to FTO. I suggest you go back a little farher and see what the officers you bash did when we were allowed to be cops. Until you have walked through the fire a few times youngin you should sit back and learn.

12-14-2007, 03:42 AM
...... Where do I start ? well how about this for starters, everyday I come to work I dread walking underneath that lie of a sign " FLPD the finest officers to ever walk thu this door"

The reason I say that is because everyday I come to work for this backstabbing/ elementary school of a department I realize that the statement is false, day in and day out.

I now understand why the City, Administration, Citizens and yes our own co-workers, don't really give a crap about the "Officers of FLPD" I'm sorry rookie mistake the "Patrolman of FLPD"

I try everyday to bring a positive attitude to work, and try to put a positive spin on the crappy working conditions that we, and I use that word lightly are subject to as road patrolman. I truly understand how crappy it must be to be that Officer down 6 headers and is still 10-65ing calls holding. I know this because I see it in there eyes and in their body language, day in and day out.

I made it a personal goal to myself, against all orders or taskers of my new responsibilities as a Strike Team member to help the ease the work load of both Dispatchers, and my fellow co- workers. Never for a minuet ever thought I was better than, or above the duties as a Road Patrolman. I believe I was taught better than that from my FTO.

I believe that's where I get my work ethics from, as well as my background from my previous occupation. I HOPE THIS STRIKE TEAM IDEA DIES SOONER THAN LATER BUT WHO AM I "JUST A SOME ROOKIE RIGHT' keyword Rookie, At lease I recognize the fact that I am one, unlike the other guys I see on different shifts and districts walking around the department like they MASTERED PATROL.

But I guess it a lot easier to pick on something that has a title like SsSstrike team. One last thing it not all Rookies the team, just a little S-14

FTO WAS LESS STRESSTUL THAN THE B.S I BEEN THROUGH HERE SINCE BEING CUTTING LOOSE FORM THE PROGRAM

If I can only turn back the hands of time.

It is a bad time to be a Fort Lauderdale cop, and an especially bad time to be a Fort Lauderdale rookie. Most of understand you are caught between a rock and a hard place. Simply work to the rule (you are violating nothing, it's their rules) remember arrests are a last resort, and we all understand rookies have to do more because of their probation status. Just be mindful of the current state of affairs and try to walk that fine line of standing with us while not jeapordizing your job. Senior guys should be able to help out, if you're short arrests, they should turn theirs over to you. If your short tickets, co-sign with an officer or psa. We can all work together to get the rookies safely through probation while still working together TO THEIR RULE.

12-14-2007, 04:34 AM
"You make the comment that you wish you could travel back in time just a short distance to FTO. I suggest you go back a little farher and see what the officers you bash did when we were allowed to be cops. Until you have walked through the fire a few times youngin you should sit back and learn"

Funny you say that, when there is nobody around who is willing to teach me or anybody else around this place anymore. Where is the pride ? where is the history ?. Oh yea I know we don't have a contract so lets all be bitter to each other.

The main reason for my post, was for me to vest some needed steam. If you feel like I'm bashing you or any of the few veterans left in this department, then I don't know what to say to you other than my post wasn't meant for you.

In my opinion of a person doesnt have 5yrs on this department ( which means a lot nowadays), than that person has no room to talk or criticize anyone anywhere.

You and I both Know how Junior this department is. What are we up to now Lima 1698 now that's sad

“He who does not have the courage to speak up for his rights or opinions cannot earn the respect of others.”

12-14-2007, 04:50 AM
I would say morale is already crippled, ... And that means you will have less proactive police work. You'll have cops out there who'll say, 'just keep your eyes down, answer your calls, get your weak pension and retire,' and that's the worst thing that could happen.”

This is gonna be my last post, because this website is pure cancer

12-14-2007, 05:13 PM
AS A STRIKE TEAM MEMBER I MEAN THIS WITH ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD (KISS MY @#$). 56 ARREST PLEASE I HAVE NOT MADE A 56 ARREST SINCE FTO. THE B/S COMING OUT OF SOME OF THESE 2-3 YRS SUPERCOPS MAKES ME LAUGH. TIRED IS RIGHT.
ITS BAD ENOUGH, I HAVE HAD ONE OF THESE BACK STABBING, CALL HOLDING CLOWNS BUMP ME AND TRY TO INTIMIDATE ME SAYING YOU BETTER SLOW DOWN (BECAUSE I FORCED HIM TO EARN HIS OT FLPD JAIL MONEY) BY MAKING ARREST.
ITS BAD ENOUGH I HAVE PEOPLE SAYING CRAP LIKE (I BET HE THINKS HE MASTER PATROL). I CAN BE IN THIS CHEERLEADERS LOCKER ROOM OF A DEPARTMENT FOR TEN YEARS AND I WOULD NEVER THINK OF MYSELF LIKE THAT. I LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY.
ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THESE PEOPLE I USED TO HAVE RESPECT FOR (2 STRIPES, 3 STRIPES, OR NONE ; HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW MANY PEOPLE CALL THEM D/2 PERIMITER OFFICERS AND TALK ABOUT THEM BEHIND THERE BACKS ; THEN GO AROUND TALKING CRAP ABOUT STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS; NEVER REALLY WORKING DIRECTLY WITH THEM.
IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED WITH A PERSON WAIT TILL YOU DO THEN MAKE YOUR OPINION. PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS HE SAID SHE SAID BULL.
MY SKIN IS TOUGHER THAN MOST OF THE STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS SO CRITICS KEEP TALKING THE TALK. I ONLY DO WHAT IAM TOLD. GET OFF YOUR LAZY A@# AND COMPLAIN TO THE HIGHER UPS. I MEAN IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO POLICE WORK YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS ANYWAYS.
TO ALL THE GUYS I HAVE OFFENDED WITH MY COMMENTS (F%$# OFF).
AND TO ALL THE REAL VETS. IAM SORRY ABOUT WHATS GOING ON. PLEASE DO NOT BLAME THE ROOKIE STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS. IF I ASK QUESTIONS, OR IF YOU SEE ME MAKE A MISTAKE; PLEASE HELP ME.

12-14-2007, 05:35 PM
Your skin isn't that tough after all sport.

12-14-2007, 06:43 PM
Looks like morale is up for D2/S3

12-14-2007, 08:03 PM
AS A STRIKE TEAM MEMBER I MEAN THIS WITH ALL THE RESPECT IN THE WORLD (KISS MY @#$). 56 ARREST PLEASE I HAVE NOT MADE A 56 ARREST SINCE FTO. THE B/S COMING OUT OF SOME OF THESE 2-3 YRS SUPERCOPS MAKES ME LAUGH. TIRED IS RIGHT.
ITS BAD ENOUGH, I HAVE HAD ONE OF THESE BACK STABBING, CALL HOLDING CLOWNS BUMP ME AND TRY TO INTIMIDATE ME SAYING YOU BETTER SLOW DOWN (BECAUSE I FORCED HIM TO EARN HIS OT FLPD JAIL MONEY) BY MAKING ARREST.
ITS BAD ENOUGH I HAVE PEOPLE SAYING CRAP LIKE (I BET HE THINKS HE MASTER PATROL). I CAN BE IN THIS CHEERLEADERS LOCKER ROOM OF A DEPARTMENT FOR TEN YEARS AND I WOULD NEVER THINK OF MYSELF LIKE THAT. I LEARN SOMETHING NEW EVERYDAY.
ITS BAD ENOUGH THAT THESE PEOPLE I USED TO HAVE RESPECT FOR (2 STRIPES, 3 STRIPES, OR NONE ; HAVE FORGOTTEN HOW MANY PEOPLE CALL THEM D/2 PERIMITER OFFICERS AND TALK ABOUT THEM BEHIND THERE BACKS ; THEN GO AROUND TALKING CRAP ABOUT STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS; NEVER REALLY WORKING DIRECTLY WITH THEM.
IF YOU HAVE NOT WORKED WITH A PERSON WAIT TILL YOU DO THEN MAKE YOUR OPINION. PLEASE DON'T LISTEN TO THIS HE SAID SHE SAID BULL.
MY SKIN IS TOUGHER THAN MOST OF THE STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS SO CRITICS KEEP TALKING THE TALK. I ONLY DO WHAT IAM TOLD. GET OFF YOUR LAZY A@# AND COMPLAIN TO THE HIGHER UPS. I MEAN IF YOU ARE NOT GOING TO DO POLICE WORK YOU HAVE PLENTY OF TIME ON YOUR HANDS ANYWAYS.
TO ALL THE GUYS I HAVE OFFENDED WITH MY COMMENTS (F%$# OFF).
AND TO ALL THE REAL VETS. IAM SORRY ABOUT WHATS GOING ON. PLEASE DO NOT BLAME THE ROOKIE STRIKE TEAM MEMBERS. IF I ASK QUESTIONS, OR IF YOU SEE ME MAKE A MISTAKE; PLEASE HELP ME.

Take it easy. "Strike team" is just one of the many buzz words like "action plan," and "directed patrol" that the brass uses to generate numbers for "Comp-Stat." They assign officers just off of FTO to the strike team because they know that new officers are for one are still on probation and need to prove their worth and two are chomping at the bit to get out there and get shake the bushes. Overall, this isn't a good idea. New guys need to be handling calls for service as well as shaking the bushes. I understand that there are guys who are 10-6 on the strike team nonsense that answer up for calls, but a "rookie" on probation needs to be exposed to as many 34s, 35's 21's, etc.

I'm not saying that they don't get exposed to the calls but if they are 10-6 all the time generating numbers for the brass then they aren't learning to be well rounded cops. Generating numbers and arresting people isn't that hard. Actually generating numbers and handleing calls for service isn't that hard either, it's what makes you a good well rounded cop. These new guys are getting the short end of the stick by the brass and they don't even know it. You can run after dopers and lock up people all day long until your handcuffs fall apart, it still doesn't make you a good cop.

Writing good reports and not having cases thrown out, not looking like a fool in a depo, court, or a motion to suppress comes with the experience of writing alot of reports. That comes from handling your share of the calls for service. It also helps to have the support from the senior guys, which also appears to be lacking here. There are no masters of patrol. You are correct, you can do this job 30 years and still learn something new. Senior guys need to step up and show the many new guys the ropes and keep the many dying traditions of the department alive, instead of complaining about "how things used to be."

The senior guys are pissed because of the past treatment by the city and the current miss-management by the brass. If they tell you to take it easy, then take it easy. If someone is physically "bumping" you then that's a problem and you should deal with that accordingly. I would have to agree that there are time that the jail guys can be a pain.

Keep in mind we still don't have a contract. The city treats us like crap. The Brass micro manages us and is basically making the same mistakes that BSO was making while Jenne was in office. People that have been here for sometime, have seen drastic changes, and actually bled for this place are pissed and feel betrayed.

As a side note, the "strike team" is not a specialty unit, so quit referring to yourself as a "strike team member." Its patrol assets misused to make the brass look good, that's it. It's not some red badge of courage or anything. The Brass puts you guys there because "you will" do what you're told because you don't know any better. If that offends you then too bad. Personally I could care less what some anonymous guy says about me on the internet. I guess you could pull a Jay and Silent Bob Strikes Back and come beat me up.

Oh, and if you haven't thought of it, another reason that the Brass may put rookies on probation on the "strike team" is that if you do something wrong they can just throw you under the bus and fire you. The way things are going here no one is safe, and its all about liability so watch yourself. It makes much more sense to fire a throw a rookie on probation without union representation under the bus than a vested officer or someone off probation who could sue for their job back. As I said, watch yourself.

The faster the "strike team" quits producing numbers. The faster it will go by the wayside. Then the brass will create some other nonsense.

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions. If the person you ask is a jerk ask someone else. There are more than enough people here that are willing to help. I'm sure by now you know who to steer clear of. Good luck.

12-14-2007, 09:00 PM
Take it easy. "Strike team" is just one of the many buzz words like "action plan," and "directed patrol" that the brass uses to generate numbers for "Comp-Stat." They assign officers just off of FTO to the strike team because they know that new officers are for one are still on probation and need to prove their worth and two are chomping at the bit to get out there and get shake the bushes.

Oh, and if you haven't thought of it, another reason that the Brass may put rookies on probation on the "strike team" is that if you do something wrong they can just throw you under the bus and fire you. The way things are going here no one is safe, and its all about liability so watch yourself. It makes much more sense to fire a throw a rookie on probation without union representation under the bus than a vested officer or someone off probation who could sue for their job back. As I said, watch yourself.

The faster the "strike team" quits producing numbers. The faster it will go by the wayside. Then the brass will create some other nonsense.

Anyway, don't be afraid to ask questions. If the person you ask is a jerk ask someone else. There are more than enough people here that are willing to help. I'm sure by now you know who to steer clear of. Good luck.

Ok, THAT's what I was trying to say! Nicely put, Voice.

12-15-2007, 06:08 AM
How do I become a Strike Team member, and do I get a shirt?

12-16-2007, 07:45 PM
If you sign up before January 1st, you get a nice Aflac duck........

12-17-2007, 08:21 PM
All I can say is THANK GOD I HAD THE JUICE NOT TO GET STUCK ON D/2 EVENINGS FOR MY SHIFT BID. I had the privilege of working some OT there a few weeks back and I wanted to eat my gun just watching these guys work. Not joking, I saw one guy running through a crowd of 200 people at a large street party, where there was just a report of a weapons complaint mind you, yelling, "open container! open container!" leaving me standing there by myself. That is not a lie or an exaggeration, that actually happened. All I'm asking is that the senior guys don't judge all the newer cops buy the STRIKE TEAM (whispered). Oh, and not to mention the officer safety nightmare, those guys are going to get themselves or another officer badly hurt or killed.

12-17-2007, 09:32 PM
All I can say is THANK GOD I HAD THE JUICE NOT TO GET STUCK ON D/2 EVENINGS FOR MY SHIFT BID. I had the privilege of working some OT there a few weeks back and I wanted to eat my gun just watching these guys work. Not joking, I saw one guy running through a crowd of 200 people at a large street party, where there was just a report of a weapons complaint mind you, yelling, "open container! open container!" leaving me standing there by myself. That is not a lie or an exaggeration, that actually happened. All I'm asking is that the senior guys don't judge all the newer cops buy the STRIKE TEAM (whispered). Oh, and not to mention the officer safety nightmare, those guys are going to get themselves or another officer badly hurt or killed.

Don't worry about it. Due to sheer luck you'll probably be o.k. At least, that's what the administration is counting on. And those open container arrests, they really add up. They're great for boosting the stat numbers. The administration can claim their guys responded to a weapons complaint and it resulted in an arrest; they just don't mention what the arrest was for.

12-18-2007, 05:51 AM

yea right, i have to admit it's funny

12-18-2007, 05:24 PM

yea, until someone gets hurt or killed.

12-18-2007, 06:45 PM

Good, then you can go tell your brother/sister officer's family how funny it is that their loved one is dead when this whole thing backfires. I'm sure they'll see it as humorous as you do.

12-20-2007, 01:17 AM
All the crap arrests will stop when the county gets $90.00 per person, per night.

12-20-2007, 02:59 AM
All the crap arrests will stop when the county gets $90.00 per person, per night.
Nah, they'll just have to start looking up the state statute for "homeless in public."