PDA

View Full Version : SET POSTING

11-12-2007, 08:12 AM
HOW DID SET IN D2 GET 2 PEOPLE NOT FROM D2 TO A ORAL BOARD TO APPLY FOR SET IN D2 ? AND ONE IS NOT EVEN IN ROAD PATROL!

I THOUGHT SET WAS A WAY OF GETTTIN GOOD PEOPLE FROM THE ROAD PATROL FROM THAT DISTRICT A DIFFERENT TYPE OF EXPERIENCE.

WHAT UP WITH THAT?

11-12-2007, 04:58 PM
What ever gave you that idea. SET looks for qualified people from everywhere in the agency. The days of SET sitting and watching closed business is over. If you think you deserve a spot in SET, an maybe you do, then show your worth through your performance and initiative, and you will get looked at.

11-13-2007, 01:41 AM
HOW DID SET IN D2 GET 2 PEOPLE NOT FROM D2 TO A ORAL BOARD TO APPLY FOR SET IN D2 ? AND ONE IS NOT EVEN IN ROAD PATROL!

I THOUGHT SET WAS A WAY OF GETTTIN GOOD PEOPLE FROM THE ROAD PATROL FROM THAT DISTRICT A DIFFERENT TYPE OF EXPERIENCE.

WHAT UP WITH THAT?

SET is not about giving people a different experience....Its not an IMAX theater...its about harassing the crap out of local turds. If someone from another district or another division can do it better than another guy from that same district, so be it.

11-13-2007, 08:55 AM
The last time I looked my shoulder patch did not say District 2 on it. It said Collier County!

11-13-2007, 05:48 PM
Good old boy club rocks. Ask Roger how he liked SET and how he was taken care of!!!!!!!!

11-14-2007, 02:02 AM
Good old boy club rocks. Ask Roger how he liked SET and how he was taken care of!!!!!!!!

Roger likes SET just fine...he was on it as an auxillary deputy and recently tested for it as a full time deputy. He was placed on the list and ranked and is patiently waiting for a slot to open up...meanwhile, he continues to hump his zone like a professional. He didnt expect to get first on the list based on his time on the road. I hardly think the two that placed higher are in the "good ol boys club"

peddle your $&!# disturbing elswhere and quit believing that every promotion or transfer is a result of favoritism. :roll:

11-15-2007, 02:05 AM
I think he was referring to Trudel, not the lazy reserve deputy (Roger). Trudel was one hell of a cop and put SET on the map...just sometimes he spoke too much to the wrong people. Unfortunately, some of these units that caused Roger T grief are now showing there true colors. VNB for example, have consistantly attacked SET, but now their colors have shown and the uppers are ORDERING them to shut up or put it in writing formally to PRB.

Getting back to the orginal topic. I think there should be an agency wide posting next time one of the SET spots open. If someone needs to be transfered to a different district due to an appointment to SET...then so be it. I am quite sure there are deputies looking to try out other districts. I don't foresee that being a problem.

11-16-2007, 12:23 AM
Guest 1010 has it right! SET should be posted and the other Roger was the one I was speaking about.

11-16-2007, 01:49 AM
Guest 1010 has it right! SET should be posted and the other Roger was the one I was speaking about.

Duh..my bad. :oops: Well, I know Roger and I'll tell you that Roger shouldn't have tried to weave a web with PRB. He also threw alot of people under the bus if you read the file. Including AO. He was a great cop but didnt know when to stop trying to outsmart everyone. Its a shame b/c he used to kick a$$ out in GGCity

11-16-2007, 06:06 AM
Last time I checked SET was road patrol, and focused on part 1 crimes. SET members are not Investigators, and should not be confused for them. Why is it that SET members automatically grow goatees? If you are on a SET team and your shift is short, put on a uniform and get in a green and white and hump a zone. YOU ARE NOT SPECIAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-16-2007, 05:47 PM
Oh geeze, another knucklehead that thinks SET isn't good. This topic has already been visited and your point has been shot out of the water. Just cuz you couldn't or can't cut it in SET cuz you are lazy, doesn't mean they don't do a good job.

No, I'm not in SET. Nor do I desire to be. But they kick a** and keep the part 1's down in the district.

Spew your B.S. somewhere else.

11-16-2007, 08:45 PM
I wish I had Roger back just to ask him questions about bad guys when I forget their names!

11-17-2007, 10:38 PM
I wish I had Roger back just to ask him questions about bad guys when I forget their names!

I wish he was back so he could yell at people.

11-18-2007, 12:10 AM
Now that is funny!

11-20-2007, 10:49 PM
If pretty funny to see grown men cry about little crap

11-20-2007, 11:37 PM
I am going to have to wait until my fourth grader gets home to interpret you statement.

02-27-2008, 12:14 AM
i think that some people should come out to d2 (at night) and see what a hell of a job d2 set does. i am not in set, but i know first hand that they are at the top of their game right now. they 've had some great cops in the past, and are currently rebuilding (troy,roger...) but each and every one of them are out their kicking #@% and keeping the scumbags in order.

02-27-2008, 02:11 AM
troy is cool, and makes a wonderful tripod.

02-27-2008, 03:48 AM
I’ve heard rumor of returning SET deps back to the road because of budget & personnel constraints. I hope this is just rumor. Has anybody heard anything?

02-27-2008, 11:44 AM
:cry: "Yawn"

02-27-2008, 08:48 PM
troypod

02-27-2008, 09:12 PM
d269killa=tool

02-28-2008, 02:14 AM
I’ve heard rumor of returning SET deps back to the road because of budget & personnel constraints. I hope this is just rumor. Has anybody heard anything?

I heard Troy has a hog

02-29-2008, 10:49 PM
kack

03-01-2008, 12:10 AM
thats KACK

03-13-2008, 06:39 PM
Did you post for the spot and not get it? SET is one of the few positions in the agency that is let to the discretion of those who should know best, the District LT and their staff. It works because the posting process does not inhibit the outcome of it. If the D2 LT wanted to look around a bit and see if there were more qualified members interested in the spot then he has that option. I personally think it should be an “in house” selection process as it has been since its inception. SET is part of road patrol certainly, but it serves a different purpose then just patrol. SET members are tasked with keeping tabs on the known criminals of their district. They take the time to learn their ways and put as much lawful pressure on them as possible. SET is also tasked with assisting other units such as VNB, CID, CIB and Gangs.
Those who think that there is not a good working relationship between these units obviously do not know the true workings of these units and only listens to the gossip. There have been bumps in the road with these units as there has been in all areas of the CCSO. These bumps are normally created by those who do not work the street level of these units but more along the Admin unit. They normally arise when one unit is not getting the credit for the arrest for the other unit, or one of the units feels the other unit has “stepped on their toes” again normally arising from the one unit making the arrest while the other unit was still formulating their plans. These are almost always issued generated from SGT’s on up, not the working street cops actually doing the work. At the street cop level, no one really cares how the bad guy got arrested just that it is a good case and he is in jail. No one at the street level is concerned about justifying their spot or trying to impress the even higher ranking brass/admin people.
A SET cop is a different kind of cop then the road patrol cop, not better, just different. Their objectives differ, their work differs and their tactics differ. Again it is no better no worse, just a different type of police work. As far as being detectives/investigators I think SET does more investigating then most official Investigators with this agency, but they also do not have the paper work burden that the Investigators have which allows them the time to do so.
But for all of those who think that SET is this cake walk job keep this in mind and let me know if you want this……
A schedule that can and does change with out notice or regards to your family life.
Using your own clothes and many times ruining them without reimbursement.
Being held accountable for all major crime within your district of control and expected to know how to solve this crime when others can not.
Getting Phone calls at all hours of day or night from others looking for information on criminals, knowing that it is your job to have this information.
Being used for every Administrators “Flex ops” regardless of the projects that you are working on the district that you are responsible for, and then being held accountable for the crime that occurred while you were “volunteered” for the flex that had nothing to do with your district in the first place LOL
If you are willing to do all that, take on that extra responsibility all for the same pay you are currently getting then you may be a good candidate for SET.
As far as SET not being “special” your right it is just another cop job, but then why do they call it the Special Enforcement Team?

03-13-2008, 07:38 PM
how do you "post" for a job albert?

03-14-2008, 12:13 AM
12345, you are the TIP OF THE SPEAR! No, wait, I mean the shaft for the tip. A true Brave for the Tribe.
Thanks for the laugh.

03-14-2008, 05:18 AM
I thought SET stood for Secret Envoy of the Tribe?

03-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Yeah, that "tip of the spear" crap will get you in trouble. Look back sometime and see what jkas is holding the spear.

03-15-2008, 02:10 PM
I'm sorry but I never saw the posting for SET this last time around...All I know was that one day R.E was humping a zone and the next he is back with his boys from set. I never saw or heard about a posting for set. I understand that R.E was an auxil SET Deputy but from what I under stand was that he came to the CCSO full time he was not in his current possition (road patrol) for 12 months befor being moved to SET. All I know is that maybe I or other Deputies wanted to apply to take the steps to try and get on the SET team but was not given the opertunity, even thougth the green book states that every position needs to be posted for all to have a chance to apply and go through the proccess. But this won't be the first time that policy has been over looked and it won't be the last...
Good Day to You Sir.....I said Good Day..

Curios George
03-15-2008, 05:02 PM
I'm sorry but I never saw the posting for SET this last time around...All I know was that one day R.E was humping a zone and the next he is back with his boys from set. I never saw or heard about a posting for set. I understand that R.E was an auxil SET Deputy but from what I under stand was that he came to the CCSO full time he was not in his current possition (road patrol) for 12 months befor being moved to SET. All I know is that maybe I or other Deputies wanted to apply to take the steps to try and get on the SET team but was not given the opertunity, even thougth the green book states that every position needs to be posted for all to have a chance to apply and go through the proccess. But this won't be the first time that policy has been over looked and it won't be the last...

Young Grasshopper - before getting a "Tude" because RE went to SET for what you belive is a "Policy" violation, you should familiarize yourself between the differences of "Positions" and "Assignments" with respect to "Policy".

Road Patrol is a Position and SET is an Assignment within the Position, therfore, no "Policy" was broken. If in the past anyone afforded an opportunity to "try-out" for SET or a posting was made then it was due to the kindness of the District LT not because of policy.

Often, assignments are quicker to fill with people who already have the experience and RE earned his experience on his own dime. He is very capable not saying you would not have been but in this case he was at the right place and time when chosen.

Maybe your time will be next but keep a positive attitude or your name may not be the first that comes to mind for those in need. :wink:

03-15-2008, 06:15 PM

Well pay better attention. I work D2 and saw the posting. As a matter of fact, it went out district wide, they conducted interviews and they put out rankings for the 5 applicants. RE was on the list for 3 months before a spot opened up for him...since the guys above had already gone to SET, off he went.

Get your fact straight.

03-15-2008, 07:03 PM
RE earned his experience on his own dime? That experience was riding around with BT and doing nothing - nice experience.

03-15-2008, 08:47 PM
RE earned his experience on his own dime? That experience was riding around with BT and doing nothing - nice experience.

Look...4 guys put in for it, the list came out, one guy withdrew so there were three. Roger was three. If you think you should have gotten it, then you should have put in for it and maybe you would have been 3 and Roger would have been 4. What is SET supposed to do? Take the first two and then re-post just so knuckleheads who missed the first posting have another shot?

03-15-2008, 10:02 PM
Well my apologizes, I did not see the posting for the SET Team. I still was under the impression that you had to do 12 months in your current position before being able to transfer...I like to thank every one that gave me the correct answeres to my questions and comments..

03-16-2008, 01:04 AM
Well my apologizes, I did not see the posting for the SET Team. I still was under the impression that you had to do 12 months in your current position before being able to transfer...I like to thank every one that gave me the correct answeres to my questions and comments..

NO harm no foul

03-16-2008, 01:04 PM
I think that all members involved in SET should get Hazzard Duty pay. I also think they should get their own award or atleast one named after them.
You guys SET is a hard working job and those guys do it well. I think it looks professional to go and work out in the community looking like you just crawled out of a dumpster or left a hip hop concert in Miami with your goatee's.
SET is difficult to work, you have to show up at all the hot calls, smack some people around and then leave giving the report to patrol to take. That takes alot of skill.
The Sheriff's Office should start looking at creating other SET teams within the agency (False Alarm Bureau, Minority Affairs, Crime Scene, Crime Prevention, Corrections) that way they can deter crime everywhere.
In Fact the SET teams should all quit the Sheriffs Office and Start their own Law Enforcement Agency. Oh by the way to the guy that was crying about his clothes being damaged you can go to the Thift Store on Airport Road and tell them your with SET, chances are they'll give you a discount.

03-16-2008, 01:19 PM
That is not funny! Sometimes SET is very dangerous. I once got some cheese from a HOT pizza stuck in my goatee...it was touch an go for a while, and I finally had to cut the damn hair to get it out! No recognition...no purple heart! Don't forget that I am at in increased risk for malaria, due to the fact that I am brave enough to where shorts - have you seen my legs - how brave indeed!

03-16-2008, 09:30 PM
SETSUPERSTAR nailed it on the head

03-16-2008, 09:45 PM
Hmm, Lets compare how many "persons of interest" and career criminals, on average are arrested by patrol units. Then lets look at the number of arrests , on average, made by SET. I think you will find that SET makes a large percentage of the arrests of those labeled persons of interest. SET wears plain clothes because, sometimes, they have to walk down the street, go into a bar or follow someone into a store, etc without readily being identified as police. IF they wore uniforms and drove marked cars...they would be patrol.

Almost every SET arrest is a career criminal and/or person of interest in that district, thats their job. I'm sorry if they show up to your call, try to get some intel from someone there and then actualy, GASP, make the original responding deputy take the report!

Hell, even LEE county is going to SET teams to combat the burglaries and robberies.

IF you think nothing but road patrol is a good idea, look to the east coast as your shining star of low crime.

03-16-2008, 10:06 PM
yes SET does so much for the sheriffs office. Lets talk about career criminals, the guy on Bayshore Drive with a joint is a serious criminal. As far as catching burglaries when was the last time SET caught a burglary in progress without being called to it? ummmm exactly.
Patrol is the back bone of the S.O and don't forget it...........Person's of Intrest what a joke call it for what it is a turd. Stop and think for a minute if Patrol could sit around eat pizza and then follow people around without having to go to calls I bet you would see alot of Person's of Intrest being arrested. Oh no they can't because they don't have goatee's

03-16-2008, 10:10 PM
SET should be given Federal Arrest Powers. Instead of the FBI, DEA it would be S.E.T. We should all have to serve a tour on SET

03-16-2008, 10:25 PM
Well if Lee County is getting a set team then they must be the best.

03-16-2008, 10:26 PM
THEY ARE THE BEST

03-17-2008, 12:49 AM
A few jealous apples trying to turn the rest of the bushel brown. Patrol is the backbone of the agency. Patrol deputies, by far, have the most unpredictable and dangerous jobs. The constant tedium occasionally interrupted by moments of adrenaline pumping excitement and danger. SET is just one part of Patrol that tries to do the best it can with what it has. We all work together for the safety and security of our families, our brothers, and our sheep.

Stay alert, stay alive............

Hughjorgan
03-17-2008, 02:43 AM
And the ONLY way to protect the sheep....
Is to Kill the M-F'n Wolf!!!!

Now quit whining...
U R making everyone look like little *****es.... :twisted:

03-18-2008, 10:49 AM
Who is the BT referred to before?

03-18-2008, 07:37 PM
b.t. boomer...aka "beef o'brady".

03-19-2008, 02:15 AM
yes SET does so much for the sheriffs office. Lets talk about career criminals, the guy on Bayshore Drive with a joint is a serious criminal. As far as catching burglaries when was the last time SET caught a burglary in progress without being called to it? ummmm exactly.
Patrol is the back bone of the S.O and don't forget it...........Person's of Intrest what a joke call it for what it is a turd. Stop and think for a minute if Patrol could sit around eat pizza and then follow people around without having to go to calls I bet you would see alot of Person's of Intrest being arrested. Oh no they can't because they don't have goatee's

Actually, the guy on Bayshore probably is a real criminal...have you ever been on Bayshore?? Put him in jail for teh joint and prevent a Robbery. Second, how often does anyone come up on a burglary in progress without being dispatched? Your ignorant. The point of SET is to go after the guys you know are burglars while they are doing every day crap like driving. Put them in jail enough for small crap, they wont be out breakin' in.....Life 30 days at a time. YOu can't just drive around in your patrol car and hope you catch the burglar while he is actually breaking into the house. On the other hand, marked zone units don't have the time to harass a Wadislav Pierre or a John Belyea all day until they can put them in jail, they have calls to answer. Thats where SET comes in.

In the end though, there will always be those who think that everyone should be in a patrol car going from call to call delivering the mail.

AKOVENDETTA
03-19-2008, 03:51 PM
It is a TEAM effort out there fellas. SET guys do not walk on water, they are road patrol deputies in different vehicles and different clothes. Most of the guys do a lot of good things and can be at the right place at the right time. They can also covertly move in on someone without having the local scumbag scream 5-0 when he sees the marked cruiser coming from a block away. A few wanted to get off the road after taking all those exhausting calls for service for a few months (including academy time).

The whole point is to make the community a better and safer place for us and the citizens to live in.

03-20-2008, 12:15 PM
5-0
When did Vanilla Ice come back

03-21-2008, 02:41 AM
It is a TEAM effort out there fellas. SET guys do not walk on water, they are road patrol deputies in different vehicles and different clothes. Most of the guys do a lot of good things and can be at the right place at the right time. They can also covertly move in on someone without having the local scumbag scream 5-0 when he sees the marked cruiser coming from a block away. A few wanted to get off the road after taking all those exhausting calls for service for a few months (including academy time).

The whole point is to make the community a better and safer place for us and the citizens to live in.
Maybe all of set will be put back on unifirm patrol as one of the tax cut policies and the agency can get back on track with basic law enforement.

Think of how many extra units would be more visible and productive. I heard one set member who spent two hours in a local convience store, made the comment that there is nothing going on out there. If this the case, lets get our guys back in uniform and back to work.

03-21-2008, 03:42 AM

Maybe all of set will be put back on unifirm patrol as one of the tax cut policies and the agency can get back on track with basic law enforement.

Think of how many extra units would be more visible and productive. I heard one set member who spent two hours in a local convience store, made the comment that there is nothing going on out there. If this the case, lets get our guys back in uniform and back to work.

Right...because uniform deputies would never hang out at Circle K for 2 hours....

veteranrookie
03-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Right...because uniform deputies would never hang out at Circle K for 2 hours....

Hey now! 2 hours is nothing. It takes that long for the hot dogs under the lamp to get to that optimum state right before they start to shrivel up. And if you hang out long enough you can catch the fresh donut delivery! woo hoo