PDA

View Full Version : jurisdiction

11-09-2007, 10:10 PM
When is the great State of Florida going to wake up and amend Florida statutes to provide all law enforcement officers in the state with STATEWIDE JURISDICTION. Specifically for municipal officers and sheriff's deputies. So many states have done this and their crime stats (including traffic) are incredibly low. More officers able to conduct enforcement activity = less criminal activity. Sounds like a "give me" considering Florida is a tourist state and everyones safety is a priority.

Rusted Frame
11-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Call your local FLA Sheriff's Association member. This zoo would have and should have had a state police a long, long, long time ago, but the good old boys have managed to run interference all this time.

I'm not saying that the county mounties don't do an excellent job, because they do. But other that the state constitution, the FSA got the hammer.

11-10-2007, 02:44 PM
The Sheriff's Association and the Chief's Association are both very powerful organizations, the FSA is the one that's been run by power hungry politiciations. It's easy to see when the worker bees fight for $20 blocks, and the high sheriffs go to one weekend of parties, and get $2,500?? The only reason I bring this up, is to stress the fact that short of some type of Florida based 9/11 (God forbid) there will never be a true state police. Look at how Florida's State LEOs are cut up. Every arm of the state has some form of their own Police. But it seems to work!

11-11-2007, 12:07 PM
Why would local LEOs need jurisdiction outside of their city/county???

And just FYI; All Florida counties have mutual aid with each other, so if your a deputy, then you might as well have statewide powers.

11-11-2007, 12:08 PM
By might as well have statewide powers, I meant pritty much already have statewide.

11-11-2007, 01:27 PM
In order for you ( City or County )to do any work or enforcement outside your city or county you must have a specific "Mutual of Understanding" signed by all head agency parties specifing the exact acts to be done. It does not give you cart blanche, and usually is specific to joint operations, SRT Callouts, Emergencies, ETC. It also must be filed with the State Attorneys Office in the County. It also must specify who is responsible for each officers acts and who is in charge during the operation period.

DLE1
11-11-2007, 09:40 PM
It's actually a Memorandum of Understanding instead of a Mutual of Understanding. You may be confusing it with a Mutual Aid Agreement.

11-12-2007, 12:04 PM
You are right... oops ! I think he got the idea.

11-19-2007, 02:59 PM
I dont understand what purpose granting statewide jurisdiction would serve?

11-19-2007, 06:52 PM
For one, which is easy to do, we would frequently have subjects in another county or city and would need to get someone with that jurisdiction to standby and transport to our city. If at least they would start with investiagtors who are actively working cases, it would make their job much easier. The policies, procedures and liability would also go back to the officers agency. Many times we had to call FDLE to pick up a bad guy and thank goodness we all had our hooks.

11-20-2007, 05:06 PM
From within your own county, you should just be able to request mutual aid. From outside your county, anybody arrested must goto that counties jail.

Making PC arrests out of county would be the only new thing. But I dont think its a good idea. If your an investigator working a case, getting a warrant signed isn't that big a deal. Once the warrant is signed, it doesnt matter who gets him.

11-21-2007, 01:14 AM
I respectively disagree with you. Time is of the essence when you have a subject and need to interview him and obtain the confession to seal the case. Something I am proud to say "the confession seals the deal in court". ASA's in Dade want you to get the subject and look everywhere before obtaining the warrant.. as they are so busy . All I am saying it just makes the investigators job that much easier if we could do it ourselves. After 30 plus years though... it will not change , so this topic is almost a waste of our time. Be safe and enjoy ! It is still one of the best jobs out there with the right ATTITUDE !