PDA

View Full Version : Removed Thread

MOD 1
11-08-2007, 08:43 PM
I am sorry to hear about your agency's loss. I am sure that had anyone had any idea that this would happen, the posts might have been handled differently by all involved.

I believe that Mod 167 has been doing a great job in moderating this board. I don't know of any other moderator who would have removed the posts in question.

Out of respect, I have removed the thread in question.

Mod 1

11-08-2007, 11:57 PM
Mod 167
I understand why you finally pulled this thread, but what gives you the right to editorialize in your post? You are supposed to be a neutral (Yeah! Right!) presence on this board and I find you editorial in this post to be most objectionable.
I think you should remove this post and resubmit with a simple "This thread has been removed out of respect for the deceased and his family".

mod 167
11-09-2007, 02:27 AM
Mod 167
I understand why you finally pulled this thread, but what gives you the right to editorialize in your post? You are supposed to be a neutral (Yeah! Right!) presence on this board and I find you editorial in this post to be most objectionable.
I think you should remove this post and resubmit with a simple "This thread has been removed out of respect for the deceased and his family".

I have been the Moderator of this board for nearly two years. I have always remained neutral in every case despite my feelings, position or insight. With that being said my post was not an editorial. I was originally asked why I did not remove the original post and I gave my explanation. Again that is a response to a direct question not an editorial.

Second, I knew the deputy and knew the circumstances around his training therefore I can substantiate the Guest comments as factual and not made-up slander, therefore, the reason why the original post was not deleted.

Third, I am a person and when it comes to the death of another officer, especially one that I knew, I feel that I am entitled to express my thoughts surrounding his situation since the original question was addressed to me. I would have loved to disclose my name behind it but I could not because I am the moderator. If I chose not to respond at all to the question, that in itself, would have left a negative inference about me as a moderator as well as our board in general.

To accuse me of offering an editorial is misleading and a cheap shot under the circumstances. Had I taken it upon myself to offer my unsolicited comments about the subject then perhaps I could understand your critical opinion of me as a moderator, but that was simply not the case.

Mod 167

11-09-2007, 03:03 AM
Then I suggest that you submit a separate post under a different name than as moderator. Your position as moderator is to remain neutral. Indeed you are entitled to your personal opinion, but I really believe that that should come in a separate post and not under your moderator title.
When you suggest that the deputy committed a selfish act, that is indeed an editorial, and while it may be true, it is opinion e.g. editorial, and is improper in a post from you in your role as moderator.
I don't believe my comment was a cheap shot at you. It was meant to keep your role as moderator untainted.

mod 167
11-09-2007, 03:49 AM
I do not need to be reminded of my roll as a moderator; I will let this forum speak for itself. Obviously you are new to our site and with that I say welcome. If you are not new then I challenge you to show me one example of where I have failed as a moderator since the beginning. To take one situation where I was responding to a question directed at only me was not an editorial; it was a response. To characterize the value of my ability to moderate over one situation, in my eyes, is a cheap shot. Obviously we have differing opinions so we can agree to disagree…

As for my statement that suicide is a selfish act, our society often refers to it as that. In fact, try “Google”ing just the words “Selfish Act” and you will find thousands of references to suicide. And as far as I know, that statement is still considered to be a politically correct. I apologize if you do not like to refer to it that way but many people do.

As for submitting a post under a different name that is fine and dandy but when a question is asked directly to the moderator it is a little hard to respond back with a different screen name.

I also do not think it is appropriate for me to continue to have a public dialog therefore, I will not debate with you any further on this matter. If you feel it is necessary to discuss this further, please feel free to email me or send me a PM. I will be happy to continue our discussion and exchanges of opinions.

Thank you for your contribution to the forum,

Mod 167