PDA

View Full Version : A read for dispatchers

11-07-2007, 02:24 AM
I've been reading so many negative comments about dispatchers that it's disappointing. I'm not here to defend all dispatchers because it is a fact that there are those that have no clue what they are doing and should definitely not be dispatching, but the same goes for LEO's, there are those out there that should not be on the road.

LEO's need to realize that they need US, we don't need them. When back-up is requested, when a chase is going on, whenever an emergency of such is occuring, they need US to send them help. Bottom line is we are their lifeline. They seem to forget that and that is pretty pathetic and sad.

I know, I can't possibly be alone on these thoughts. Share yours.

11-07-2007, 02:44 AM
I've been reading so many negative comments about dispatchers that it's disappointing. I'm not here to defend all dispatchers because it is a fact that there are those that have no clue what they are doing and should definitely not be dispatching, but the same goes for LEO's, there are those out there that should not be on the road.

LEO's need to realize that they need US, we don't need them. When back-up is requested, when a chase is going on, whenever an emergency of such is occuring, they need US to send them help. Bottom line is we are their lifeline. They seem to forget that and that is pretty pathetic and sad.

You are right, but what the LEO's do not realize about needing US is that they feel their zone partner has their back. They do not see the entire picture of when they are calling for back up, usually the next transmission you would hear (without US) would be "Where is he/she at?" Well without US who is going to answer that? I bet no one was listening and knows the intersection they were checked out at - but wait, they have computers now - so lets just check that - okay - now you are in retransmit or this page is unable to load and in the meantime your zone partner needs backup and you are still waiting for the location. Hmmm makes you think doesn't it? Maybe then you might realize, we all have our faults, as you all do, but we need to work together. Bottom line is we need each other - we all have good and bad ones - let's see beyond that! PEACE:!)

tuffstuff
11-07-2007, 10:18 PM
WELL PUT! Some of these units cant remember their case#'s let alone where ALL their zone partners are at at all times. And what happens on the days the computers crash every other minute?

11-07-2007, 10:40 PM
that's all fine and dandy, and yes you are a part of the team, but WHY do some of you have to have such horrible attitudes. It all goes back to treating some one the way they want to be treated. On the PBSO forum, the mods keep deleting the posts about dispatchers, but deleting the posts does not make the problems go away. deputies are SICK and TIRED of the way some dispatchers act. especially 7911 and 7722, it can not be stated enough, they need to drop their attitudes before they get a deputy killed.

tuffstuff
11-07-2007, 11:14 PM
And I will not dispute that with you at all. Its one thing to be strong willed and not be a pushover and still be thorough and capable at your job. Its another to be rude and nasty and be an OFFICER SAFETY issue. But for some units to say they DO NOT need us,that is just BS and most units know that. Thats the part I have issue with. Yes you are correct, if they are that bad that they are putting lives at risk, then definitely something should be done. I think I know who one of these girls is, I think she worked at BSO before. Lets just say, IF its the same person, she hasnt changed.

tuffstuff
11-07-2007, 11:16 PM
However I do have a ? for you. The last time you heard a unit get shitty with a dispatcher who DID NOT deserve it, did you say anything to him/her? I would venture to guess no. As you want us to treat you respectfully, it needs to go both ways.

11-08-2007, 08:38 PM
I'm a former dispatcher (6 yrs experience), and I say this:

Yes, they need US, but to say that they need us more then we need them? Let's step off the dispatcher-high-horse for a second. Them, without us, would still get things accomplished. Not as well, or course, and with a ton more safety-issues, granted, but they could still get things done. They have 2 way radios, etc.

However, US without THEM? What the hell are we going to do? What good is answering a phone without having someone to send out? Someone can call us all day long say they're being shot at, and what the hell would we do about it? All we do is send THEM. We are pretty much the people that tells them where the problems are and then they go and solve them. Without them on the other end of the radio, all we are is a phone answering service that would document crime.
"Hello, 911, whats the emergency?"
"There is a man at my house trying to stab me."
"What's your location?"
"123 abc street... ow!! HE JUST STABBED ME AND HE'S FLEEING!"
"Ok ma'am, I'll notate that you've been stabbed at 123 abc street. Have a good day."
And that would be all.
However, if they were without us, it is a possibility that they could hear a cry for help, or see the guy running down the street. Less efficient? Yes. By about a million, but they could still do more than we can.

The problem I've seen with dispatchers throughout the years is that they think of themselves way too much. Yes, your jobs are very important, but lets really think about which, of the 2, has a higher priority and which is actually the more important one. So, just accept your important job and keep the guys who are just a LITTLE MORE IMPORTANT, just a little bit safer.

-SlapHAPPY!

tuffstuff
11-09-2007, 03:24 AM
I dont think anyone on here said we were MORE important than they are. Think SlapHappy you are missing the point. Its kinda like which came first the chicken or the egg. We BOTH need each other. We BOTH need to respect each others jobs. We BOTH need to treat each other the way we want to be treated. They have more of a dangerous job but I think in many ways ours is more stressful. I dont tolerate any shit from any unit but I definitely make sure to be very thorough in my job. Im no ones secretary BUT I do my job to the best of my ability. Sometimes I have to be a little more forceful than others, just like when some units get a little more forceful with us. YES there are definitely some dispatchers AND units who cross the line. Bottom line, we NEED each other.

11-10-2007, 06:43 AM
Hey tuffstuff, read the very first post of this topic. In it you will find this EXACT quote:

"LEO's need to realize that they need US, we don't need them. "

So where exactly did I miss the point......?

11-10-2007, 06:45 AM

Here I made a little quoty box for you. Second paragraph, first sentence.

tuffstuff
11-10-2007, 05:22 PM
Ok well I would have to say the WE need each other equally. If we arent there to answer the phones and dispatch the calls, they wouldnt have as much to do, though Im sure they would like that. However, if they arent there to answer the radio, you are right we wouldnt have much to do either. However, for units to come on here and say they dont need us because they have a computer is ridiculous! Whether they realize it or not, we ARE their lifeline. No one hears their 1024 buttons but us, no one can see them keying up in the PTT and cant speak but us, no one can override their open mics when need be and get help started but US. Even if their zone partners arent listening for whatever reason, its our job to listen and keep track of them. So yes when the pooh hits the fan, we could be the very one who gets everyone started and ultimately be the deciding factor in saving them. Now, the flip side to that is some of the dispatchers mentioned in here, the ones that are too busy texting or not paying attention, or dont have a clue as to what they are doing. If you are going to be *****y or a pain in the ass, at least be DAMN good at your job. IF I were a unit, I could deal with *****y and 10-8 vs nice/sweet and clueless but hey thats me. I dont think most dispatchers think of it as being on a high horse, I think many of us are just tired of being taken for granted, being unappreciated or mistreated.

11-11-2007, 01:45 AM
Well said :!:
I totally agree :D

12-03-2007, 08:37 AM
Lets face it most dispatchers are freaking lazy. You have to ask for everything. God for bid they have some forsight and think ahead. All they want to do is sit there and gossip. They hate it when they have to anything more then say 10-4.

:devil:

12-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Hey tuffstuff, read the very first post of this topic. In it you will find this EXACT quote:

"LEO's need to realize that they need US, we don't need them. "

So where exactly did I miss the point......?
wrong again we have the same radio and mdt you have. All you gotta do is answer the phone.

12-03-2007, 08:41 AM
And I will not dispute that with you at all. Its one thing to be strong willed and not be a pushover and still be thorough and capable at your job. Its another to be rude and nasty and be an OFFICER SAFETY issue. But for some units to say they DO NOT need us,that is just BS and most units know that. Thats the part I have issue with. Yes you are correct, if they are that bad that they are putting lives at risk, then definitely something should be done. I think I know who one of these girls is, I think she worked at BSO before. Lets just say, IF its the same person, she hasnt changed.
If it wsnt for you, we would get the freaking calls..Hmmmm

12-03-2007, 07:59 PM
Thats funny yes there are some LAZY dispatchers, but there are many more lazy road patrol units. How many times do we have to repeat the whole damn call and even though u have an mdc you still dont get it, write it down or pay attention. If you guys would actually just listen, it would cut down a whole lot of useless chatter and those of u with important 1043 could actually get some air time. You may not want to admit it but you know Im right, how many times have you had the air 1003 for an interior check only to have some dumb ass break the air for his/her case # on their delayed call. Meanwhile most of them didnt bother to write it down when it was given to them or get it off their mdc. Or how many times have you been behind a s/10 occupied and couldnt get on because someone was making the dispatcher 10-09 the whole call again. So dont say we are lazy, its on BOTH sides.!

12-26-2007, 06:37 PM
My God! This is like playtime on the computer. "It's your fault!", "No, it's your fault". Stop passing the blame buck and take responsibility for your actions! If your dispatchers are being rude/lazy the supervisor needs to be accountable. If it's the officers, same accountability! We are all professionals in our chosen areas of Law Enforcement. Most Cops couldn't do the dispatchers job and vice-versa, or don't want to do the others job. Most choose what they want to do and go into that field.
Stop blaming each other and take some actions against those bringing the AGENCY down, after all neither of them would exist but for the AGENCY.

01-01-2008, 09:52 PM
..LEO's need to realize that they need US, we don't need them.

That thinking is so one-sided, and it is narrow minded as well. Of course we need the officers/deputies! You couldn't DO your job without them. (And no, I'm not "sworn" if you're thinking that.)