View Full Version : Why can't parents of runaways get more cooperation?

11-06-2007, 12:53 AM
My daughter has ran away 4 times now, to the same house with the same people. The house she keeps running away to is located in the city of North Port. Each time it's the same thing....a police officer comes to our home, we fill out paperwork, and North Port police are sent a teletype asking them to go to the residence and knock on the door to see if my daughter is there. Each time one of two things happen, they either don't answer the door or they tell the police they can't come in without a warrant. There are five people who reside in that house (3 of which are over the age of 18 ) and all five of the residents know that I did not give them permission to have my daughter live with them. Not to mention one of them was arrested for a sex crime in MArch 2007 against a minor between the age of 12 & 15 and currently has a warrant out for his arrest. Seeing how I have legal custody of my daughter and they are willfully keeping her from me, wouldn't this fall under the grounds of custodial interference? So why is it that I can not file an injunction to keep these people away from my daughter unless there is violence involved? Also, why is it that I keep hearing that they (the police) do not have enough grounds to get a warrant to get into the residence? Isn't keeping the child of another person without the consent of the custodial parent or guardian illegal? So why is there such a problem getting a warrant? Another thing that I would like to ask, is why is it when you actually have a parent that is willing to do everything they can to get their child back on the right track, do police officers encourage them to basically give up? What do I have to do to get my daughter back and have something legally done to these people for interfering with my daughter's well being? Can someone tell me?

11-06-2007, 01:36 AM
You'd probably be better off calling a police/sheriff office or a lawyer about this. I have a feeling this one is not gonna get answered easily. 90% of the people that post here aren't cops anyway.

11-06-2007, 02:16 AM
I have contacted both CCS & NPD, along with the State Attorney's office. I also tried finally an injunction but because I won't wrongfully accuse someone of violence, I can't do that either.

Old Guy
11-06-2007, 01:37 PM
The problem is with your daughter. She is going there on her own feel will so there is not much you can do to them. If she can't go there then she will go somewhere else. You need to fix the problem at home first.

11-06-2007, 06:50 PM
GO to the address yourself, unfortunatly we cant kick in the door to grab her (we wish we could.) We have problems with this house daily. If you dont know where it is, its like the secound house on Hurley Ave.

11-06-2007, 08:27 PM
I have gone to the house and they don't answer the door. I get the same response that you (the police) do.

There is one more thing I'd like to add, I have gotten a few unpleasant responses from some people. Just so it is clear I am not posting on here as a means of "bashing" the men and women in law enforcement. In my particular situation it seems that even the police's hands are tied. I posted on this website because I was hoping that someone with more knowledge of the law (than myself) could give me advice or guidance on my situation.

11-07-2007, 02:01 AM
Well it seems you have been in contact with are dv detective who also handles the missing/run a way kids.. Like she told you, if we come into contact with her, then u get her back until the next time she does it again. :(

Old Guy
11-07-2007, 02:48 AM
Again, fix the problem at home first. Where she is going is secondary. Why is she leaving, DUH....

11-08-2007, 12:54 PM
Again, fix the problem at home first. Where she is going is secondary. Why is she leaving, DUH....

Sometimes all the good parenting in the world doesn't help. No matter what you do, kids get a mind of their own and get into trouble, misbehave, run away or get involved in drugs or crimes no matter what you try to tell them. It's not always the parents' fault.

Old Guy
11-08-2007, 04:10 PM
Then tell the kid to pack their stuff and get the hell out if they know everything better. There is nothing illeagal about it. You'll only have to let them back in if they come home with the police and then you tell the police that you did'nt know the door was locked. :roll: If they won't obey the house rules and run away, tell them to stay out and see how much better it is on the outside after the people they are staying with get sick of paying their bills. It's called tough love. And remember, girls are three years ahead of their actual age. If you have a 13 year old, then she is working on a 16-17 year old mental range, 16 would be 19 and so on. So you have to treat them as such. Boys are dead on, 13 is 13. When I was with the PD, at least 90% of the runaways were female because of this. :wink:

11-08-2007, 09:21 PM
The problem is your kid is garbage and there is nothing the Police can do to control her. Running away is not a crime and you will not find a Police Officer that knows what he or she is doing that will even run after a runaway. We have laws to follow and we will not violate them because your kid or any other kid likes to runaway, sorry but that is how it is. Put the kid in a treatment center in another state that forces them to stay at your request, sort of like kiddie jail but you have to pay for it out of your pocket. Since it is your kid it is kind of your responsibility.