PDA

View Full Version : It's time to reclaim OUR department

11-03-2007, 01:03 PM
I am so fed up with our administrators treating L.P.D. like their personal toy. Bottom line is that they are responsible for our work conditions, safety, and morale. To say that they have failed miserably is an understatement. Their arrogance is unmatched and their sense of accountability is AWOL. They want to run a law enforcement agency like a private corperation, well, lucky for them it isn't because they would have been out on their azz a long time ago. The FIRST order of business for the PBA after the contract needs to be an official, public vote of no confidence.

11-03-2007, 04:54 PM
Well speaking of that I haven't got any update on what appeared to be our imminent impasse several weeks ago. All I hear about is how I should trust this "endorsed candidate" and come out and support him. What about us?? Anybody know where WE stand?

AFOR
11-05-2007, 01:20 AM
While we are still seeing hundreds of views on our posts in the last few days, we are not seeing responses. Surely this is not because of fear of the administration. I would hate to think that all they had to do was growl a little to make us run. Here are some decisions to consider:

...the Court found that a public employee's statements on a matter of public concern could not be the basis for discharge unless the statement contained knowing or reckless falsehoods, or the statements were of the sort to cause a substantial interference with the ability of the employee to continue to do his job.

We conclude that policemen, like teachers and lawyers, are not relegated to a watered-down version of constitutional rights.
Garrity v. New Jersey, 385 U.S. 493, 499-500 (1967) (distinguishing McAuliffe).

In general, you can NOT be fired when:

1) The statements made must deal with a MATTER OF PUBLIC CONCERN.

and

2) Then, even if the matter is of public concern, the exercising of the freedom of speech DOES NOT CAUSE UNDO INTERFERENCE OR DISRUPTION OF THE OPERATION OF THE POLICE DEPARTMENT.

These are the two key criteria the courts use when determining if your speech is protected.

You are also advised, that if the matter at hand is of serious, public concern, your first course of action generally should be to address the issue through your department's grievance system, chain of command, or whatever system they have set up to address the issue concerned.

Also, if you are going to address a contoversial issue publicly, be sure your public statements are framed to address the public concerns surrounding the issues as well as your concerns.

Another thing to keep in mind, is STICK TO THE ISSUE. Do not get caught up in name calling or personal attacks. Not only is this unprofessional and ineffective in winning support for your cause, it weakens your case for freedom of speech.

It is best when your statements are made while OFF-DUTY and through your own publications or medium. Don't stage protests while on duty or using department newsletters, e-mail, fax machines, etc.

The issue of freedom of speech is not unlimited. There is a constitutional right to freedom of speech, but there is not necessarily a right to be employed by a certain agency while exercising that right. Make sure your issues are a matter of public concern, not just personal concern. And even if your issues are of public concern, their seriousness must outweigh any disruption in the the effectiveness and working environment of your employer.