PDA

View Full Version : I doubt anyone will care enough......

tuffstuff
11-01-2007, 11:13 PM
However, should someone read this.......do you guys have any complaints AND compliments for (BSO) dispatch? NOTICE compliments is included in this......and please take it easy..... :oops:

11-02-2007, 04:08 AM
Just like us everybody has their good days and bad days. All in all no problem. One thing though. Don't be afraid to tell the Delta units to hear the emergency call the first time instead of trying to figure out what to order at the restaurant. Grant it, it is hard to listen to the radio with all the dishes clashing around.

tuffstuff
11-02-2007, 09:22 PM
Hey Road Guy, tks for answering and keeping it professional. BELIEVE me I am not afraid to tone a road unit, SGT, or IF need be a LT. I make sure to call everyone at the same time--the units and the sgts or OIC's. Yes we all have our good and bad days. Stay safe and keep me posted if I can pass along anything, though we got some FNG's that you can't tell anything to. I'm sure you know what I mean. :roll: B safe.

11-03-2007, 12:17 AM
BSO: My vote is for Richard. He is very clear on the radio. He can be plainly heard and nobody has to doubt his ability. My only complaint would be some of the dispatchers say stuff so fast and when we have trainees in our dept. they do not know what just happened on the radio and either we have to repeat it ourselves or she has to ask for the information to be repeated. We have a new trainee that I feel is going to be a good dispatcher and If we can have you all slow down just a tad bit it will help us who are training her. Some of them have an attitude and I understand we all have a bad day from time to time but please stress to them the importance of not taking it out on our road officers.

11-03-2007, 12:19 AM
But, there is this one female dispatcher that treats us like S**T over the radio. We can't hold you all responsible for that one single person. I have to admit, she is pretty *****y, but she is a very good and agressive dispatcher.

11-04-2007, 01:23 AM
I hate this thing, it seems to lose some of my posts. Well sometimes *****y is better. :lol: Nothing worse than a nice, sweet, coddling dispatcher that doesnt have a clue-he/she wont get you home at night BUT hey they were nice, right? I would think, and this is just MY opinion, that you guys on the other side of the radio would rather have someone whos "*****y and aggressive" and knows his/her shit. Yes they might be more of a pain in the ass but when the fur flies, they usually get the ball rolling and start the calvalry coming code 3! So I would think it would even out in the end. However if you get someone whos nasty AND dumb, then I dont know what to say. So this *****y one, what shift does she work?

11-04-2007, 07:12 AM
I miss the good ole days when we all went out and did tawdry things that forced me into the confessional. ...Oh the penance....

11-05-2007, 12:44 AM
Hey I thought we agreed to keep those things just between us old timers!!! :lol:

11-05-2007, 02:46 AM
Tip for dispatchers. TONE and then immediately dispatch on in progress calls.

Lately dispatch has not been toning for in progress calls. Sometimes the dispatchers spend valuable time saying " attention bravo 16, bravo 15, delta 1 21 in progress. "

I would rather hear " BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP bravo 3 21 in progress at 12345 Sapingo BLVD "

Just give the call to someone and spit it out. The tone will get everones attention and people in the area will head that way. By not toning some might not hear whats going on until minutes later.

Just a suggestion.

Oh yeah one more issue
When two or more units try to get on at the same time, don't say UNITS over riding. Just stay quiet for a moment and someone will repeat themselves. By saying " units overriding or one unit a time " only gets units to do the same thing over again.

We are miles apart from one another when keying up on the radio. To point out the fact that UNITS ARE OVERRIDING does no good unless someone steps on someone that was already being acknowledged by dispatch.

11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
I wish dispatch would stick to one tone for BOLO's and one for priority calls. They mixing them up and when you hear that particular tone you expect to be a priority call and it turns out to be a BOLO....well you know what I mean

11-05-2007, 12:12 PM
Ok dust in the wind....do u mean hit the alert tone and just start giving it out without waiting for the unit(s) acknowledging they are ready to 1065? And as for the diff tones for bolos and 1033 calls sometimes I do and sometimes I dont however if its 1033 I def hold that button down alottttttttttttttt longer for the 1033 call, for the bolo its much shorter.

11-05-2007, 04:39 PM
This is just a suggestion because I know that in Dade County they do it this way. They have three different distinct tones, just like us. However each one is only used for one thing.

The steady beep tone is used to get units attention for a priority call (they don't BOLO all the worthless info about signal 8's like we do- but I know that it is a policy for BSO so not bashing you dispatch) or a hot bolo.

The beep-beep-beep-beep tone is used only to slow units down when responding to 10-33 calls.

The hi-lo-hi-lo tone is used ONLY for 10-24 and officer emergency calls. When you hear that tone your balls hit your stomach cause you know it is not going to be good. That is usually the tone that everyone drops what they are doing and heads out the door.

It is a good system in my opinion because it is consistent. Maybe they can recommend this to their supervisors to get some sort of consistency going. Right now it seems that the dispactchers use whichever tone they like. And some do a very long tone for sig8 bolos also.

TuffStuff we appreciate you getting on here and trying to seek feedback to make things better. Unfortunately there is a huge communication barrier between us and you. Hopefully some of the things we are pointing out will help. Thanks for the great job you guys/gals do.

tuffstuff
11-05-2007, 11:59 PM
Well Ive been around here for awhile and I use to know a whole bunch of the guys/girls on the road in MM and now when I look at the lineup, not so much. So I thought let me see what I can do to maybe make some suggestions on our end upstairs in the Emerald Palace (aka HELL) or maybe at least be able to explain to you guys why we do/dont do certain things. I dont know how Dades system works but yes we do have 3 alert tones and yes in theory I think each one should be assigned for a certain purpose. Right now, I believe, "they" decided on a policy of using the "hi-lo" tone for all 1033 calls-- which I do not agree with but hey Im just a peon like the rest of you guys. They want the loud single tone for the bolos, if I remember correctly, obviously I dont use this "policy". I think the loud single obnoxious tone should be for all 1033 calls, officer safety issues, etc.....the "hi-lo" tones for bolos and then the wussy little beep beep volkswagon car horn sounding thing for whatever else is left. But when the shit hits the fan I dont care what tone I hit as long as it works. And just so you guys know we have to change it from one to another like you would do when you are filling out something on-line where you fill in your state, thats the best way to describe it. Now one thing I would like to express to you guys is PLEASE write down or make note of your case #'s, times etc, when they are given to you. Now this is not so much an issue cuz u guys have the mdc's these days, but we dont give this stuff out for fun, ya know. Now before u attack me, I not expecting u to write this stuff down when 51 code 3 for something or someone. BUT THERE IS NOTHING MORE IRRITATING THAN A UNIT ASKING FOR HIS/HER SIG 9 CASE #. HELLO??? We gave it to u when we gave u the call AND its on your mdc. Im sure there was no rush to get inside the 1020 to take the report so take it with u when u get out of the car. Ok Im off my soap box now. :lol:

11-06-2007, 01:05 AM
I'm with you on that one! Nothing erks me more than trying to get on the radio to advise 10-50 (four deep) or 13-p when some idiot needs their case#, time advised, etc. etc. etc.. Obviously we are not always in a position to write down Onview Times because it's just that- we are onviewing and that is usually going to be the time someone pulls out a gun or takes off. So my focus is usually on the task at hand. AND FOR GOD SAKES PEOPLE- WHEN THEY SAY THE AIR IS 10-3, THE F'IN AIR IS 10-3. ALL YOU IDIOTS THAT CONTINUE TO ADVISE THAT YOUR 51 OR 97 AFTER THE AIR IS 10-3 PLEASE STOP! IT IS 10-3 BECAUSE SOMEONE IS 97 OR 25 ON A HOT CALL! HOW THE HELL CAN THEY ADVISE WHAT THEY HAVE WHEN PEOPLE ARE SAYING 51 AND 97! JUST GO AND GET THERE! I KNOW THE POLICY SAYS ONE THING, BUT IT'S BETTER TO BE TRIED BY 12 THAN GO TO YOUR FRIENDS FUNERAL AND SEE 6 CARRYING HIM/HER. Common sense here. That includes you too delta units and sierra units. Just because you have stripes or bars doesn't give you the right to jeopardize my safety. Thanks have a great night.

tuffstuff
11-06-2007, 01:26 AM
Did you just do a mind melt with me? I HATE WHEN UNITS DO THAT!!! You can tell me u are there AFTER the air is 1008 again. What about this one, one of your senior guys did this the other day and it drives me nuts. The air was 1003 for something someone onviewed, and he went 51 94 but instead of advising 51 he coded his prev call and then went 51 94, while the air was 1003, UGH!!!! Just go, get there, and we will worry about the damn code out later on!!!!! Its not that big a deal.

11-06-2007, 12:55 PM
I love the dispatchers that have that gut feeling somethings up with the call and wil tell you to stand by for 94. Just lets us know that they are looking out for us. :wink:

tuffstuff
11-06-2007, 02:50 PM
well I will say this its nice to visit a dispatched city where they guys/girls on the road ARENT telling us how fat, worthless, stupid, useless, or how we are always eating and gossiping at the console and oh yea, how nasty we are. sometimes when we get headers-we just know, something aint right, plus for those of us who check priors at the same 1020 that helps you all in the long run. I just had to blast someone under dispatchers that said he didnt need us, that at long as he had his computer he could do everything, we as dispatchers do, himself. I DONT THINK SO! ugh, it seems to be that (some) deputies treat us (meaning bso dispatchers) worse than city units do, thats just SO sad, since we work for the same "team". So thanks to you guys for treating us as humans. :wink:

11-07-2007, 02:33 AM
Do you remember when dispatch had Miramar, Pines, Davie and Cooper City all on one channel? (I was 10 alpha 7 for a number of years) Back then there wasnt anything west of I-75 and we had to go into Dade County and go west on NW 199th st. to get to Country Club Ranches, Miramar Pkwy ended at Palm Ave. Things sure have changed. I'm sure I speak for everyone when I say we are all appreciative of the dedicated job you do.

11-07-2007, 07:04 AM
I wish dispatch would stick to one tone for BOLO's and one for priority calls. They mixing them up and when you hear that particular tone you expect to be a priority call and it turns out to be a BOLO....well you know what I mean

I second that motion!!!

tuffstuff
11-07-2007, 10:55 PM
Lets see MR 22year vet........22years ago I would have been...........11years old...... :lol: .....................so no I dont remember that far back......my MM experience started when MM and HD were on the same channel and even at the point half the city was built/wasnt much west of palm ave.........I do have a ? Anyone know how Goetz is doing?

11-08-2007, 04:35 AM
oh gee when we shared with HD we couldnt get on the radio because every 10 seconds 10-31 FOSTER ROAD!!!!

11-08-2007, 06:51 AM
Lets see MR 22year vet........22years ago I would have been...........11years old...... :lol: .....................so no I dont remember that far back......my MM experience started when MM and HD were on the same channel and even at the point half the city was built/wasnt much west of palm ave.........I do have a ? Anyone know how Goetz is doing?Okay, You said you had been around a while so I just asked if you remembered that. Goetz is okay, he opened up his own business, I think its located in Margate.

gws108
11-08-2007, 07:47 PM
Hey Road Guy, tks for answering and keeping it professional. BELIEVE me I am not afraid to tone a road unit, SGT, or IF need be a LT. I make sure to call everyone at the same time--the units and the sgts or OIC's. Yes we all have our good and bad days. Stay safe and keep me posted if I can pass along anything, though we got some FNG's that you can't tell anything to. I'm sure you know what I mean. :roll: B safe.

Jodi is that you?

tuffstuff
11-09-2007, 03:32 AM
Someone tell u108 to go back to his own page. 22yearvet dont be mad I just busting on ya.

11-09-2007, 01:45 PM
All in all you dispatchers do a good job with what you have. If you can ask your call takers to get more info or ask the right questions that would be better. I for one appreciate all you do looking out for us and maintaining a calm voice when things get crazy!

tuffstuff
11-09-2007, 02:07 PM
Believe me we try to get them to understand whats needed. But............Ill just let that stop at that. Thanks for the compliment. We appreciate it.

11-09-2007, 10:50 PM

Jodi is that you?

No this is too nice for Jodi. She's got problems. This sounds like Stephani or Laura.

One of Jodi's major problems is she thinks she's the boss and not a dispatcher. Dispatchers are part of the team and are almost like a 10-94 since they can be a life line. Jodi takes things too personal and I always feel tense on the radio. Dispatching is a very important job and along those lines they should be cool under pressure, able to speak clear concise English WITHOUT an accent. I know it's tough up there with lots of distractions but please remember, we are the ones who will not go home to our families if something happens. Cops are type A people and like to control things so give us some leeways.

What gets me the most is when we are going to a hot call and the dispatch (there is one in particular) who is always laughing and having a conversation in the background.

Also, sometimes are modems are down so we NEED to hear the case no. or 97 time because when we were driving we couldn't write it down at that time.

Changes: I'd like to have a "beeper" tone like they have out West when the air is 10-3. Every ten seconds there's a beep so everyone knows not to talk (like you were on Teletype when the air went 10-3). That would solve a lot of problems.

Yes, when someone really needs 10-94 and the air is 10-3, people DO NOT have to advise 51 or 97. At the end of the call it will all be straightened out. Let the officer have the air free of interruptions.

Thanks for asking tuff...

tuffstuff
11-10-2007, 12:11 AM
Whatever your issue is with Jody, get over it! Unless you can leave your name when you criticize her, dont. Shes not afraid to tell you NO and she doesnt kiss your ass. Believe me there are some that are much worse than her. This was a question to be answered professionally not personally. You dont have to like us and we dont have to like you. However I asked this question to see if we could get some things taken care of professionally not for you to trash my FRIEND. There are plenty of your units I could rant on about but thats not what this is for. Either be man enough to say who you are OR keep it professional.

11-10-2007, 12:50 AM
tuff I appreciate your devotion to your friend but you need to chill. If you post your name, I'll post mine.

PS..I might not want to "man" up if I'm a woman...

tuffstuff
11-10-2007, 12:57 AM
Hey Im not the one attacking someones character. And if you are man or woman and are attacking someone then man OR woman up! Whatever the case maybe. I was really impressed by you guys until these last posts. Not so much now. I realize not all of you have gone off the beaten path here but this is going off in the ditch. Time to end it I guess. Too bad cuz this could have been good for both sides.

tuffstuff
11-10-2007, 01:02 AM
For those of you who know Jody, then I hope you realize that shes damn good at her job and thats what matters. Not what you think of her personally. You dont have to like her to realize you are safe when she sits there (which you can be happy is very rarely). Any of you old timers care to speak up in defense? As for chilling out, you would jump on me in a heart beat if I were to speak ill of some of yours.

11-10-2007, 05:39 PM
Just thought Id log in and give those of you who dislike me the chance to say it to me personally. Have at it. Lets see if any of you leave your name this time.

11-10-2007, 10:33 PM
You know maybe you are taking this personal. I don't really think that many people on here dislike you personally. Many of them (like me) don't know you personally. As the same goes for you knowing us. I know that tuffstuff originally got on here to seek compliments/complaints to try and help our side and your side work better. Unfortunately one or two people (like everything) have to ruin things by turning this into a bashing. Don't think all of us hate you, or think alike.

I am not sure who tuffstuff or jody are, but I have my guesses. I have heard that jody is the female dispatcher who is mostly monotone and sounds unhappy. Doesn't make you a bad dispatcher in terms of how you take care of officers on calls and send back-ups. However, maybe you don't realize that your attitudes on the radio can sometimes dictate the level of motivation in officers on the streets. IE- If I keep getting a poor attitude from a dispatcher because I make her work by constantly doing 10-50's or any type of onview, then it gets me angry because I am doing my job and your getting paid to do yours. Now I know the same type of attitude can come from officers when you wake them up to go to a call. Not trying to bash any dispatcher in particular. But your getting paid to dispatch just like we are getting paid to handle calls.

And please don't get fiesty with us when we have "multiple units" keying up. We obviously cannot tell when someone else is keying up at the same time until the dispatcher comes back on and says multiple units. Then we don't know if the other person should key up, or us. Then if we assume we should or if we have traffic that is more important we may end up keying up at the same time as the other unit or someone else who is impatient and doesn't know how to wait. Just take it into consideration next time it happens.

11-10-2007, 11:48 PM
I dont think that the dispatcher you are describing is me. I DO NOT mind working. As a matter of fact, I prefer the busier channels. You are not bothering me when you go 1050 or onview whatever it is you are onviewing. It is my job to handle whatever radio traffic you all give me as a dispatcher. I like to have fun on the radio, of course in whatever professional way possible, just ask Hansman or Mike Lewis or Dang. Dunk, Ad****, and Strickland all know me very well and will tell you the type of person I am. Honestly, I can count on 2 fingers the amount of times I have sat on 10a in the last month. So why someone or sev people would come on here and say bad things about me is beyond on me. I do not sit on your radio very often, so when I was told what someone wrote on here, it did offend me. I know very few of you guys/girls these days in MM, mostly the older guys/girls or at least ones with more than 5 or so years on. Yes I can be a pain in the butt, however I know my job inside and out and do everything in my power, the few times I sit there, to get you guys home safe. Isnt that the most important thing?

11-10-2007, 11:52 PM
Who cares? Grow up and do your job. This isn't high school where people sit around and gossip all day. People die here. I have a job to do and so do you.

I came to this site because everyone is talking about it and I'm very disappointed. I can't believe we are all so childish.

Good day.

tuffstuff
11-11-2007, 12:08 AM
Yes WE would seem to include you too! Its a shame that my question had to be taken in such a bad direction. But sadly childish-ness and pettiness do seem to be a re-occuring them on all areas of this website. Seems no one wants to own up to trashing someone by putting their name behind what they say. The point of this was to resolve issues or explain policies not trash people. Everyone has the right to their opinion and she has the right to stand up for herself.

11-11-2007, 02:35 AM
Please dont let the immature opinions of a few speak for all of us. I know who Jody is and I never had any type of problem with her. I appreciate the excellent and professional job all the dispatchers do.

11-11-2007, 12:48 PM
WE LOVE JODY!! :lol:

11-11-2007, 02:42 PM
Thanks 22yearvet and LTD. Appreciate it.

11-11-2007, 04:31 PM
Posted: 11/10/07 22:51:13 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I know Jody from when she use to do ride alongs with us back in the days. I will tell you what you do not have to like her tone or attitude but she will get right on top of things when you need it. I worked midnights and charlie shift for a while and talk about giving you a call history at a residence and othe further information she is on it. I like our dispatchers and just like you they all have bad days just like us. I like dispatchers with attitudes at least they get the job done. I can't understand why poeple are so sensitive about the dispatcher when you have citizens on the street telling you what a piece of cr-p you are or how you are racist. Since when did we become so this skined.

I have been around a long time and I have see jody and other cross reference calls gine information on BOLO's that mathc your traffic stop and so forth. There are some officers I can't understand in our department talking on the radio or talking to fast. I think part of trainning people should have to go to CDC and work along side of a dispatcher then you might truely appreciate them. Our job is not easy sometimes but nither is theirs. Just like when you here them laughing in the background and you here a police yelp when some keys up. It goes both ways but we need each other to survive.

11-11-2007, 06:11 PM
Thanks Nikki. Didnt know where you were at these days. Nice to hear from you. You are right, they dont have to like me, they just have to know that I will do my job the best I can.