PDA

View Full Version : Good place?

11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
Trying to get a feel for Collier county as well as the agency. How's the quality of life in that area? I worked an area that you could throw a rock and hit a run down trailer park in every direction and would like to get away from that. I know this site draws a lot of negative, but I'd like to hear both the pros and cons of working there. Is the department currently hirng FL certified? If so typically how long is the process? In all honesty income to living down there do you all find it reasonable? Are you able to save money and invest for retirement? How readily available are the overtime details and shifts? Thank you.

11-02-2007, 12:42 AM
First off, like anywhere else, Naples has its "run down areas" Having said that though, I can tell you that there are far fewer of those areas than anywhere else in Florida. Naples is a beautiful town and you can drive around all day and not drive into a "bad" neighborhood. (they are there..like Golden Gate City....but you have to be looking for them)

As for the CCSO, its a good dept. Starting pay is good, equipment top notch, take home cars and the like. Plus, we don't pay a dime into out retirement. The Sheriff pays it all. and our health care is relatively cheap.

The only downside is housing. Even after the recent freefall nationwide, prices here are still high. For a 4/2 house in a community you will pay around $450,000 to $650,0000 depnding on where. That aint cheap. On the other hand, the prices are high because the area is nice.

Just remember that for the most part, people drawn to this forum are disgruntled and dont reflect most of the deputies who, although not skipping to work, are pretty satisfied with their career here.

11-02-2007, 02:35 AM
First off, like anywhere else, Naples has its "run down areas" Having said that though, I can tell you that there are far fewer of those areas than anywhere else in Florida. Naples is a beautiful town and you can drive around all day and not drive into a "bad" neighborhood. (they are there..like Golden Gate City....but you have to be looking for them)

As for the CCSO, its a good dept. Starting pay is good, equipment top notch, take home cars and the like. Plus, we don't pay a dime into out retirement. The Sheriff pays it all. and our health care is relatively cheap.

The only downside is housing. Even after the recent freefall nationwide, prices here are still high. For a 4/2 house in a community you will pay around $450,000 to $650,0000 depnding on where. That aint cheap. On the other hand, the prices are high because the area is nice.

Just remember that for the most part, people drawn to this forum are disgruntled and dont reflect most of the deputies who, although not skipping to work, are pretty satisfied with their career here.

Thanks for the feedback I appreciate. That is expensive for a house on a solo income, but then again I wouldn't be looking for a house probably. I'd within a couple of years probably want to look at a condo or townhouse at the biggest. I've heard a lot of good things abou the agency and do understand that a lot of the people writing on this site are disgruntled. However, I do appreciate your positive feedback. Stay safe.

Paradise
11-02-2007, 03:22 AM
Guest95 please know that the majority of people who participate on this message board are not disgruntled members of CCSO. I strongly believe there are a few who consistanty post under multiple Guest screen names only to give the appearance that there is some support of their rediculous opinions or positions.

If you have the chance to visit our agency and spend some time talking to the employees, you will quickly find that the moral is good. You would be hard pressed to find another agency within this state that is better than CCSO.

As for housing, since you are single you will not find it difficult to find an affordable place to live. It may not be as BIG as you could get elsewhere in the state for the same money but it is a place in the best part of the state.

Good luck and I hope you will decide to call CCSO home.

11-03-2007, 09:00 AM
Guest 95 you can get a condo for under 200k and a house for under 300k if your looking for something in the 1600square foot range.

11-04-2007, 02:16 AM
Thanks for the responses. A big thing for me is that I need to work overtime. How readily available are overtime shifts or details there? I typically like to get 4-8 hours of OT per week. Again, thanks for the information.

11-04-2007, 02:40 AM
Thanks for the responses. A big thing for me is that I need to work overtime. How readily available are overtime shifts or details there? I typically like to get 4-8 hours of OT per week. Again, thanks for the information.

Depends on where you are assigned. Certain districts grant it more liberally than other. Other special units have almost unlimited OT (as long as its justified) Always get OT for court time.

11-11-2007, 04:08 PM
Dont buy just yet. Rent a house or condo for half the price of owning. There is a great web site with all the hosues for rent in the area. I dont have it anymore,(google for it) I made the mistake and bought a house. If I wouldve waited 6months I wouldve save lots. But I love my house.
Get to work in your district and talk to other LEO's about the best places to live. House prices around here arent going "up" anytime soon. But they will eventually.....

11-11-2007, 08:19 PM
how about Marco Island PD

11-12-2007, 07:57 AM
court is not allways ot if u take sick time or vacation u get straight pay for court.. we work 43 hours a week not 40 like every one else and we only get overtime after a 2week pay period of 86 hours. Our civilians get ot after 40 they are much more important than the cops in this dept.

also we employ the balance policy which means if u stay late ur boss can send u home on ur last day of work to prevent u from getting ot...

ya i am one of the unhappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11-13-2007, 01:46 AM
court is not allways ot if u take sick time or vacation u get straight pay for court.. we work 43 hours a week not 40 like every one else and we only get overtime after a 2week pay period of 86 hours. Our civilians get ot after 40 they are much more important than the cops in this dept.

also we employ the balance policy which means if u stay late ur boss can send u home on ur last day of work to prevent u from getting ot...

ya i am one of the unhappy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hmmm, well I guess we could always raise taxes to increase the OT budget or just start cutting jobs or pay. Not many agencys in FLA givong OT right now.

11-13-2007, 02:08 AM
Guest-
If you want a 40 hr work week so bad, go somewhere that has it! Or, you could let the union negotiate it so you have to clock out during breaks and not get paid for it, lose three hours of pay every week and pay union dues.

Or, just suck it up, work hard and be greatful to have a great job!

11-13-2007, 11:40 PM
Guest-
If you want a 40 hr work week so bad, go somewhere that has it! Or, you could let the union negotiate it so you have to clock out during breaks and not get paid for it, lose three hours of pay every week and pay union dues.

?! Clock out for breaks? Not getting paid? Lose 3 hrs of pay? What union did you work for?! How about working 6hrs of OT every pay period and get paid straight time.... Gratefull for the job is one thing, Im sure we all are, being a tool is another. Lets talk after a polygraph you have to take or you get fired....then you'll wish you had someone standing up for you.

This is a good place to work. Dont let these guys push you away. There are always things at any job that could or should be better. We have to have something to argue about!!!!

11-14-2007, 01:47 AM
Guest-

?! Clock out for breaks? Not getting paid? Lose 3 hrs of pay? What union did you work for?! How about working 6hrs of OT every pay period and get paid straight time.... Gratefull for the job is one thing, Im sure we all are, being a tool is another. Lets talk after a polygraph you have to take or you get fired....then you'll wish you had someone standing up for you.

This is a good place to work. Dont let these guys push you away. There are always things at any job that could or should be better. We have to have something to argue about!!!!

Union or not, where is the OT money going to come from? The union fairy can't sprinkle pixie dust and have some appear. If you want extra money work a detail. If you want 6 hours OT every week, then prepare to give up something else like your retirement that you don't pay a dime for, your 2 pay raises you have gotten each of the last 3 years or your take home vehicle. Cant get something for nothing.

12-01-2007, 08:15 AM
Unions most certainly make working conditions better! We have a union...we don't have to clock in or out, get paid for lunch, get paid for any second over the 32 hours we work a week (but get paid for 40), have fair and set promotional tests, can not and wuill not get into a cruiser with more than 70,000 miles on it etc etc etc. I would NEVER work for a place that doesn't have a union. I say this not as a malcontent(I've never been in trouble at all in 12 years) but as somone who believes there ought to be checks and balances for the higher ups and fair and good working conditions for employees!

12-01-2007, 01:42 PM
Unions most certainly make working conditions better! We have a union...we don't have to clock in or out, get paid for lunch, get paid for any second over the 32 hours we work a week (but get paid for 40), have fair and set promotional tests, can not and wuill not get into a cruiser with more than 70,000 miles on it etc etc etc. I would NEVER work for a place that doesn't have a union. I say this not as a malcontent(I've never been in trouble at all in 12 years) but as somone who believes there ought to be checks and balances for the higher ups and fair and good working conditions for employees!

"have fair and set promotional tests"

Now I know your lying! There is no such thing. I worked for a Union department and can tell you that you end up with promotions based on seniority. We have received pay raises (often multiple) each year for several years, we dont pay anything into our retirement (FL retirement plan), no health care premiums for the deputy (free) and get take homes right after FTO

As for checks and balances, thats fine for a PD that answers to as city council but in a Sheriff's office, teh Sheriff can fire, hire and promote anyone he pleased (generally, there are limits) so unions dont do alot of good.