PDA

View Full Version : This just in !!!!

10-31-2007, 07:58 PM
Hot off the presses

Lawmaker urges USF to improve security
Nothing like a little political pressure to move things along.

The same day USF President Judy Genshaft announced plans to hire unarmed private security guards for campus residence halls and other high-traffic areas,she got a letter from Rep. Rick Kriseman urging her to boost the pay and ranks of her campus police force.

"You oversee more than just a campus -- it is a community, and I do not believe a community can function well if they live, or learn, in fear," Kriseman wrote in the Oct. 26 letter, obtained by Gradebook this week. "Your tenure as president has been marked by numerous successes, yet as you are surely aware, all the good can be erased by a single horrific incident."

The St. Petersburg Democrat told Genshaft that several constituents contacted him with concerns, and he suggests Genshaft and her administration make changes to ensure the USF police force is properly staffed and competitively paid.

The force now has 41 out of 53 officer positions filled, meaning it has one of the thinnest forces of all the state universities -- one officer for every 930 or so students. The police chief blames low starting salaries and the lack of a step plan that gives raises based on years served. He frequently loses officers to area agencies like TPD and the Hillsborough Sheriff's Office, which pay better.

Kriseman concludes his letter: "I am confident that you will help turn the USF Police Department into one of the finest in the nation, as you have done with the university's academics and athletics."

11-01-2007, 12:24 AM
from tampabay.com - The Gradebook blog

11-01-2007, 02:26 AM
At the last Contract meeting they seemed to be concerned about us signing this settlement ASAP so they can get it in before the Board for approval, almost like they wanted us to settle fast and playing it off like they were doing us a favor.

This offer SUCKS, Don't trust them I say wait them out I think it will
be worth it.

11-01-2007, 06:45 AM
Florida House of Representatives
Representative Rick Kriseman
House District 53
District Address: Tallahassee Address:
1700 66th Street N, Suite 203 1302 The Capitol
St. Petersburg, FL 33710 Tallahassee, Florida 32399
Phone: 727-552-1380 Phone: 850-488-9337

Friday, October 26, 2007

Dr. Judy Genshaft, President
University of South Florida
Office of the President
4202 Fowler Avenue, ADM 241
Tampa, FL 33620

Dear President Genshaft,

Thank you for taking the time to personally read this important letter.

I want to first congratulate you on the incredible growth in student population, and more importantly, in the quality of the academics and research programs offered at USF. I must also offer congratulations for the recent success of the football team. The Bulls have been a great source of pride for so many in our community this season, and your support of that program has been vital.

While academic and athletic successes can help universities garner positive attention, nothing is more important than the security and well-being of the students, faculty, staff, and visitors on a college campus. Since entering elected office nearly 7 years ago, no issue has mattered more to me than public safety. So in light of the recent media reports, and after being contacted by several constituents, I am naturally concerned as to whether public safety is being treated as a top priority at your campus.

If not, my hope is that your administration and the Board of Trustees will begin to place a greater emphasis on the USF Police Department, ensuring that staffing, funding, equipment, and support levels are not only competitive with other state universities, but with surrounding municipalities and counties. Longevity Pay would be a logical first step, but that alone will not solve morale problems or alleviate the public?s worries.

You oversee more than just a campus ? it is a community, and I do not believe a community can function well if they live, or learn, in fear. Your tenure as president has been marked by numerous successes, yet as you are surely aware, all the good can be erased by a single horrific incident. I am confident that you will help turn the USF Police Department into one of the finest in the nation, as you have done with the university?s academics and athletics.

Please let me know what I can do to assist.

Sincerely,

Representative Rick Kriseman

CC: Office of the Board of Trustees Operations
Chief Thomas Longo
Dr. Jennifer Meningall
Garin Flowers
Representative Ed Homan

Committees and Councils
Environment & Natural Resources Council
Energy (Ranking Democrat) - 21st Century Competitivenes