PDA

View Full Version : FLPD bleed off will continue

10-31-2007, 01:23 PM
The Union and the membership is doing a great job coming together this contract year!

But the Officer bleed off will continue after the contract is signed.

The reason for that is HORRIBLE treatment and working conditions at FLPD! After the new contract is signed, if a 5%, 5%, 5% for three years with a COLA, it will not matter in the big picture.

At the end of the contract new Officers put in State Pension Plan will outnumber those of us now, and they will have a 3% COLA, not caring about whatever we get after we work 20 years and they vest with a COLA in 6 years. Perhaps they will be getting paid 73-74K by then, but more than a few other cities will be paying much more than that, some in the 80K range by then, and we will be back where we started.

Compound the HORRIBLE working conditions and treatment, and 74K will still not be enough to keep them at FLPD. The bleed off will continue. They will continue to flee, FLPD will continue to be a training ground for other departments. The 74K will not matter to them, they will stay maybe 3 years at best and take the state pension acrual they have to another agency and wave goodbye on the way out the door. Nothing to keep them here but a little seniority.

FLPD thinks it has a mess now, just wait until all the new hires are in the state pension and have a free ticket to leave with it!

The bigger fight against the Chief, upper management, and the City Manager is necessary. The Union will bring home a good contract, no doubt. But what about later? That is the bigger battle or the department will continue to bleed if us, the members, fail to stay united and take action against those who have let us down!

If that doesnt happen the Contract will be a step in the right direction, but far from the solution to our problems!

10-31-2007, 05:10 PM
A 5%, 5%, 5% compounded after 3 years is $74K based on a $64K salary.

A 7%, 6%, 5% compounded after 3 years is $76K based on a $64K salary.

A 8%, 6%, 5% compounded after 3 years is $76.9 based on a $64K salary.

A 8%, 7%, 6% compounded after 3 years is $78K based on a $64K salary.

Our Officers are the hardest worked in the County, answering the most calls for service. We deserve at least $78K in our next contract!

We shouldn't settle for anything less than that with a COLA too, as were the only dept without it.

The membership is together. Use it!

10-31-2007, 07:30 PM
Since I only have a less than 2yrs on maybe I should quit then re apply again,and the enter the FRS pension plan

10-31-2007, 10:22 PM
Since I only have a less than 2yrs on maybe I should quit then re apply again,and the enter the FRS pension plan

We are fighting as a union to keep new employees in our pension! But you could just go and not come back!

Barak
10-31-2007, 10:48 PM
I think you guys are missing the point here. We will not gain the public support we so desperately need and rightfully deserve if all we talk about is what we want. After all, where else can one go at 19 years old & w/a high school diploma, get paid to attend a daycare academy, & w/in 5 years, so long as you don't screw up to badly, be earnign $65g's, plus virutally unlimited OT & details, not to mention the bennies which are probably worth another $10-15g's a year. Do you think the common worker- the jamitor, the construction guy, the grocery store manager- feels our "pain?"

No instead what we need to do is demonstrate to the public why we deserve what we get paid in salary & bennies. Over the years, the public has been very supportive of the cops; that's why we enjoy the pay & perks we have now. The last folks we want to alienate are those same folks. I agree we should be paid/compensated w/some of the higer paid agencies in the area however that's not going to happen if all the public hears is *****ing and groaning.

11-01-2007, 01:47 AM
The city is proposing to have it's officers enter the FRS ?

Barak
11-01-2007, 01:49 AM
New officers hired after this contract is ratified would be placed in the FRS, not the city pension. Current officers would stay w/the current pension.

11-01-2007, 11:00 AM
Barak please stop posting on this site as you're making me sick

Barak
11-01-2007, 01:27 PM
I find it hard to believe that the real Jack would post something like that. This is an open forum where there is supposed to be a free exchange of ideas, information and opinions, not just griping and negativity. Just because my thoughts and opinions vary from yours doesn't make them any less valid. I'm trying to add some thougthful, postive commentary froma differnet perspective. If you can't handle that, I'm sorry.

11-01-2007, 04:15 PM
I find it hard to believe that the real Jack would post something like that. This is an open forum where there is supposed to be a free exchange of ideas, information and opinions, not just griping and negativity. Just because my thoughts and opinions vary from yours doesn't make them any less valid. I'm trying to add some thougthful, postive commentary froma differnet perspective. If you can't handle that, I'm sorry.

Don't be so sure. Jack's a saint but I think you've annoyed everyone below the second floor with your company man mantra.

11-01-2007, 05:15 PM
Yeah, Barak, I don't even necessarily disagree with you on some stuff; I don't ***** about every little thing and let it consume my life; I don't think we should go to BSO (although, talking as a strategy is fine); I like "working" where I work, despite the the downsides.....
But Christ, your posts are annoying. It's the same thing over and over again. And although it's nice to be loyal to your employer, come on...do you really think you "owe" this place anything? I didn't want this job for the money either but I'm sure as hell not going to sit around and get screwed.
I also wouldn't doubt that was really Jack.

11-01-2007, 05:21 PM
I think you guys are missing the point here. We will not gain the public support we so desperately need and rightfully deserve if all we talk about is what we want. After all, where else can one go at 19 years old & w/a high school diploma, get paid to attend a daycare academy, & w/in 5 years, so long as you don't screw up to badly, be earnign $65g's, plus virutally unlimited OT & details, not to mention the bennies which are probably worth another $10-15g's a year. Do you think the common worker- the jamitor, the construction guy, the grocery store manager- feels our "pain?"

Proof that anyone can post on here, even Gretsas. It shows that the city will do anything to stir the pot and get us to divide.

What actual patrolman would write this drivel? It's plain to all of us that a good chunk of the people that we've been hiring lately either don't or shouldn't make it off of FTO. Sure, you don't have to be a MENSA member to meet the basic qualifications, but everyone knows that once you hit the road, that's when we find out what a person is truly made of. I don't want to be backed up by the guy/girl who couldn't get a better paying job elsewhere in this county (read: ANYWHERE else).

If you think that we deserve the same contract that the "jamitors" and other city employees got (5/5/5, & dissolution of our pension), then you're sorely mistaken. There's a big difference between what "jamitors" and cops do. Besides, that's not even the point. If a "jamitor" was making less than his counterpart in another job, being micromanaged by someone who doesn't understand "jamitorial" duties, he'd be inclined to fight or leave. That's what you have here at FLPD. Fortunately, enough of us like it here, enjoy the work and our co-workers, to stay and fight for a fair contract.

By the way, when stuff is underlined in red, that means you misspelled it.

-Keep up the fight, Jack! We're behind you!

11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I am willing to bet that BARAK wears two bars or better on his collar.

11-01-2007, 05:54 PM
I am willing to bet that BARAK wears two bars or better on his collar.

Barak
11-01-2007, 07:44 PM
I really get a chuckle out of you guys calling me a company man. Calling me Gretsas is even funnier so thanks for the laugh! Ah, if you only knew. And my rank or assignment is of no issue because my values and ethics are what drive me, not my position w/in the agency.

Do I owe this place something? You bet I do. I've made lots of friends over the years, gotten some great training, been to a couple of different units to broaden my horizons, had my formal education paid for by the city & afforded a pretty nice lifestyle. So yeah, I give back what I got. The taxpayers deserve that much. I don't see that as being screwed. Getting fired/demoted/transferred every time a new sheriff gets elected- well that'd be getting screwed.

Mcnulty- if you're dissatisfied w/the FTO's doing their job well, what have you done about it? If you're that sharp, have you applied to be an FTO to better the situation? I'm betting not & geez, thanks for correcting my spelling- I'm so much better off now.

You guys are actually making my point for me. Altho the contract is the immediate issue, the greater issue is one of RESPECT and we, as a union and individual officers, are desirous of that. And yes we've gotta fight for it but fight the right way. The RESPECT we desire is exemplified one way thru a contract that is highly competitive, will recruit high quality candidates and retain our better officers. RESPECT has got to come thru other means also and one of those pathways is through trust, which at this point seems to be lacking from the current adminsitration and towards us. The AVL & car-cams are indicative of that lack of trust so they only way we can earn that trust is by further demonstrating our professionalism for the community. If that makes me sound like management, then some of you folks and I are going to have to agree to disagree. At least I've stirred up the conversation a bit.

11-01-2007, 08:28 PM
Barak,

The RESPECT we desire is exemplified one way thru a contract that is highly competitive, will recruit high quality candidates and retain our better officers. RESPECT has got to come thru other means also and one of those pathways is through trust

Do I owe this place something? You bet I do.

I just think it's funny that those two statements were taken from the same post. I don't know what to think.

11-01-2007, 11:28 PM

Yea, that's a pretty dumb idea. There are plenty of other departments out there with the FRS. The only good thing about the FRS is that it has a COLA. If our pension had a COLA there would really be no problems with it.

I hope you were just being sarcastic.

11-01-2007, 11:39 PM

Yea, that's a pretty dumb idea. There are plenty of other departments out there with the FRS. The only good thing about the FRS is that it has a COLA. If our pension had a COLA there would really be no problems with it.

They'll give us the option of going into the state plan, I'm sure. If you don't mind letting your wife go without a pension when you die (our pension has survivor benefits), or going on welfare when you fall off your roof (our pension has disability benefits), then the FRS is for you! Go ahead and gamble with your 7% raise (no pension contribution). If you want your overtime to count toward your pension, and are the man of steel, go for it.

I'll play it safe, and stick with the plan that will take care of me no matter what.

11-01-2007, 11:54 PM
I really get a chuckle out of you guys calling me a company man. Calling me Gretsas is even funnier so thanks for the laugh! Ah, if you only knew. And my rank or assignment is of no issue because my values and ethics are what drive me, not my position w/in the agency.
Mcnulty- if you're dissatisfied w/the FTO's doing their job well, what have you done about it? If you're that sharp, have you applied to be an FTO to better the situation? I'm betting not & geez, thanks for correcting my spelling- I'm so much better off now.

You guys are actually making my point for me. Altho the contract is the immediate issue, the greater issue is one of RESPECT and we, as a union and individual officers, are desirous of that. And yes we've gotta fight for it but fight the right way. The RESPECT we desire is exemplified one way thru a contract that is highly competitive, will recruit high quality candidates and retain our better officers. RESPECT has got to come thru other means also and one of those pathways is through trust, which at this point seems to be lacking from the current adminsitration and towards us. The AVL & car-cams are indicative of that lack of trust so they only way we can earn that trust is by further demonstrating our professionalism for the community. If that makes me sound like management, then some of you folks and I are going to have to agree to disagree. At least I've stirred up the conversation a bit.

You're the one who has a reading comprehension issue: I did not find fault with the FTO's. Some of the people we've been hiring are not trainable, even if Burgess Meredith came back from the dead to reprise his role as Mickey. Most of them are "resigning" after being extended. We have some great FTO's, so don't be twisting my words around. With a competitive contract, we can attract better candidates. I'm sure we both agree on that.

Also, can you articulate what you mean by, "demonstrating our professionalism in the community"? We do that day in and day out. I guess it's easier to see in person under sunlight and mercury vapor street lights, as opposed to on paper under fluorescent lighting.

The FNG
11-02-2007, 12:09 AM

I was

11-02-2007, 12:54 AM
It is ironic that you choose the word "Respect", Barak. Our command staff lost Respect for us years ago. Respect is a two way street and I for one am sick and tired of being run over. Just because someone has bars on their collar, does not mean they have earned my Respect. And therein lies the stronger word; EARNED.

Barak
11-02-2007, 01:05 AM
It is ironic that you choose the word "Respect", Barak. Our command staff lost Respect for us years ago. Respect is a two way street and I for one am sick and tired of being run over. Just because someone has bars on their collar, does not mean they have earned my Respect. And therein lies the stronger word; EARNED.

I do not disagree w/you one iota about earning respect. Respect is earned, not awarded just because someone puts costume jewlery on your shoulder. Thankfully it's been my experience that those folks who believe the latter have been vastly outnumbered by the former. I've worked for my fair share of idiot bosses along the way but the rest of them were pretty good folks trying to do the right things for the right reasons.

It ain't the whole command staff so please don't lump them into one pile. We've got some pretty good bosses out there who are just as frustrated as we are, maybe even more so because they have to deal w/the petty nonsense head on all day long.

11-02-2007, 01:36 AM
[quote=rook]Since I only have a less than 2yrs on maybe I should quit then re apply again,and the enter the FRS pension plan

I was[/quote:2fetdzuh]

:lol:

11-02-2007, 01:49 AM

I do not disagree w/you one iota about earning respect. Respect is earned, not awarded just because someone puts costume jewlery on your shoulder. Thankfully it's been my experience that those folks who believe the latter have been vastly outnumbered by the former. I've worked for my fair share of idiot bosses along the way but the rest of them were pretty good folks trying to do the right things for the right reasons.

It ain't the whole command staff so please don't lump them into one pile. We've got some pretty good bosses out there who are just as frustrated as we are, maybe even more so because they have to deal w/the petty nonsense head on all day long.

What does the command staff have to loose in backing us then? What are they so afraid of? Most of them have been on for over their 20 anyway. I'd be happy retiring on a Major's Pension. You know they dont have a Pension COLA either. This contract affects them also. When will they grow a pair and back us?

Instead they walk all over us. Or have forgotten where they came from? Most havent worked the road or, I'm convinced, have an IQ below 75. I'm not sure which, enlighten me.

They have become so short sighted that they do only that which furthers their careers'. What happens when there is no one left to command?

11-02-2007, 02:15 AM
Barak,
I do choose to lump the entire Command Staff (with some execeptions) into the same pile. They have accepted and embraced the policy of modivation by discipline. They have capitulated to the ridiculous action plan syndrome and have prevented cops from being cops. Let us DO OUR JOB!! Stop the insensate micro-managing and for God's sake, grow a pair!!

11-05-2007, 02:57 PM
Is that Barak Obama?

11-05-2007, 02:59 PM
Barak are you Gretsas fluff boy?

11-05-2007, 03:00 PM
Barak are you the creme between Gretsas and Heberts cookies?

11-05-2007, 11:37 PM
The Chief came to our briefing the other day, as I'm sure he did for other shifts. He reassured us by stating that "they" hear us and know what's going on and our backing us up in anyway they can. He says this after sending cronies to the HOA meetings to debunk and contradict our power point presentation which included actual FACTS. He shades the numbers and says that crime (including violent crime) is down significantly, and I quote "We're bucking the trend", and "Doing it with less" (sound familiar?). He makes these comments with no factual support or numbers (because there are none).
He then seemed to get very frustrated and obviously angered at the fact that rumors spread about what he is doing and what he is not doing. His little speeches like this at briefings and 40 hour blocks have gotten old, stale and disproved. No one asks questions or makes comments because they've heard the answers before and are sick of the b/s. Everything he said was very vague and full of smoke and mirrors, and he expects the rank and file not to talk and add to the rumor mill. How about backing your officers? How about not being a puppet? He said they he wouldn't address the rumors because there are too many, but maybe that's a hint. You can's satisfy all the people all the time and there will always be those that have disdain for any chief despite his performance, but you CAN give hope to the majority.
What is the motivation; does he foresee a future in politics and not want to burn any bridges at 100. Because, even though that is not an excuse for being spineless, at least it's a reason for his lack of action on our part. If that's not the motivation, than what is? What can they do to him, force him out with two pensions at a chief's pay....wow, that would suck, and I'm sure he's out soon anyway, so why not go out with some dignity.
Not that this all hasn't been said before, but it blows my mind sometimes to think that our "leader" has undermined us from the beginning.

11-06-2007, 05:03 AM
The Chief came to our briefing the other day, as I'm sure he did for other shifts. He reassured us by stating that "they" hear us and know what's going on and our backing us up in anyway they can.

The chief is going to say whatever is necessary to fit the moment and time. Once he’s out of that room he’ll say something else to fit the right group. Anybody still walking around with a wheel gun knows how the game is played. As far as you know, he’s playing all of you like street *****es….

11-06-2007, 06:28 PM
The Chief needs to go, and those he has cultivated as well. It is a moral question at this point, if there is nothing else to gain, it is morally right that he be sent out the door knowing his Officers hate and despise him now for his lack of personal character in recent years.

I hope we don't have to wait too long for this, it is at least 3 years late in coming!

Vote No Confidence on the Chief and his command staff, Hebert, and the City Manager. If management cannot do the right thing, them morally, it is up to us to save this dismal and pathetic police department.

Barak, your an ignorant perverted suckass!

Barak
11-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Gee whiz, for a minute there, I was in full agreement w/you until your last comment. Sorry you can't acknowledge anyone else's viewpoint other than your own but I guess that's a problem for someone w/limited intellect. :)

11-15-2007, 02:55 PM
Another resignation yesterday!

The department needs to buy a number wheel sign like the one by the exit door near our former jail so we can keep an accurate count of all the Officers walking out the door for the last time.

Perhaps the FOP can donate one?

11-15-2007, 09:17 PM
The November 20th deadline is quickly approaching and the city has continued to fail in their obligation to negotiate fairly. At Tuesday's meeting the union needs to send the strongest message yet. NO CONFIDENCE in the leadership starting with Gretsas. The time has come to stop the threats and start acting upon them. If the city doesn't do their part to retain us and our own management (Chiefs and Majors) don't stop the iron fisted treatment of the severly overburdoned officers in this department then we need to move full speed to disolve this agency and merge with BSO. Not a hollow threat or a dismal wish but a strong desire to be done with the horse shot that this agency has put us through and get back to doing what we all signed up for.

The chief can take his charts and pound sand. He keeps pissing down our backs and tells us its raining. Crime is down? I was here in the 90's when crime was not nearly this bad and when we had a minimum of 15 to 18 officers in each district. Now we have an average of 20-23 in the ENTIRE CITY. (7 to 8 per district) The ball bearings on the revolving door are getting worn out from the massive exodus.

Its time to pull off the gloves and punch them squarely in the face!

11-15-2007, 10:19 PM
PROS and CONS

PRO's
1. uh?

CONS
1. Dangerously Low Staffing
2. Ineffective and outdated or sometimes NO equipment
3. Only agency without a pension cola
4. Lowest paid agency in Broward County
5. Horrible Management Team
6. Heavy Handed Excessive Discipline
7. Berating and Belittling from management
8. Civilians running day to day operations from city hall
9. Largest City in Broward/Lowest Paid in Broward
10. Cief said he got us Tac Vests and Rifles/Everyone who has one paid for it themselves/Chief gave us nothing
11.Promotions and Transfers based on friendship and not Merit
12. EXTREME MICROMANAGEMENT
13. AVL's (speed monitoring) in police cars

I could go on and on and on and on

THIS PLACE IS IN THE TOILET

11-16-2007, 12:11 AM
PROS and CONS

PRO's
1. uh?

CONS
1. Dangerously Low Staffing
2. Ineffective and outdated or sometimes NO equipment
3. Only agency without a pension cola
4. Lowest paid agency in Broward County
5. Horrible Management Team
6. Heavy Handed Excessive Discipline
7. Berating and Belittling from management
8. Civilians running day to day operations from city hall
9. Largest City in Broward/Lowest Paid in Broward
10. Cief said he got us Tac Vests and Rifles/Everyone who has one paid for it themselves/Chief gave us nothing
11.Promotions and Transfers based on friendship and not Merit
12. EXTREME MICROMANAGEMENT
13. AVL's (speed monitoring) in police cars

I could go on and on and on and on

THIS PLACE IS IN THE TOILET

This List Can Go Over 1000!

The FNG
11-16-2007, 05:57 AM
We lost two to Miami Gardens and one to NYPD, all these bodies in one month.

11-16-2007, 12:04 PM
We lost two to Miami Gardens and one to NYPD, all these bodies in one month.

Thats just the tip of the iceberg. I would bet that at least 75 people are actively pursuing other jobs or agencies before their retirement dates.

11-16-2007, 02:05 PM
The crime rate in the City has exploded, and we all know it.

It is time to ask FDLE to come in and take a look at the real numbers and how they are reported!

It is time to ask the Sheriff to come in and make the City a real offer for a take over, not a limp gesture.

It is time for Lauderdale to get out of the policing business!

Barak
11-16-2007, 08:16 PM
It's really great when an anonymous poster puts up stuff like the last post. For all we know, you could be stocking boxes @ Publix.

This really is a great strategy you guys got going here, honestly- trying to scare away potentially good candidates from applying by writing nothing but negatives. Tell me, is there nothing you see positive about going to work in the FLPD other than picking up your paycheck every 2 weeks? Is every day truly that bad for you? If it is, it's got to be hurting your health and personal life and in both the long and short term, the paycheck can't be worth it. There are plenty of other occupations out there. Take your GED and go see if someone else is going to compensate you likewise for what you do every day.

11-16-2007, 09:04 PM
Barak,

As a potential applicant (I say potential as I am deciding on whether to pursue a career change, not potential due to "issues" at FLPD), I am not dissuaded from applying. I would hope possible applicants such as myself would realize there are no perfect departments and there will always be good and bad situations that employees agree and disagree on.

I hope that once I commit to a decision about my career, if I decide to go with a change, that FLPD is not on a hiring freeze. I guess time will tell in my situation.

It is always easier to find complaints about things rather than the positives but other than a paycheck there must be some good points to FLPD that have kept the officers there that are not happy.

Either way, I wish the best possible outcome to the issues that plague the officers of FLPD.

11-16-2007, 09:05 PM
We aren't trying to scare anyone away. But look at the numbers of people leaving or who are actually in the process with other agencies and you can see that the management here is doing that anyway. And as soon as anyone disagrees with you they are labled as GED holders? This is the majority attitude around here not the minority so maybe you should go so you don't have to listen to it anymore.

And since you find yourself so full of answers, what is wrong with a BSO takeover?

Barak
11-16-2007, 09:27 PM
We aren't trying to scare anyone away. But look at the numbers of people leaving or who are actually in the process with other agencies and you can see that the management here is doing that anyway. And as soon as anyone disagrees with you they are labled as GED holders? This is the majority attitude around here not the minority so maybe you should go so you don't have to listen to it anymore.

And since you find yourself so full of answers, what is wrong with a BSO takeover?

Go back and review some of my earlier postings. BSO is not and never will be the answer for this PD. How about we concentrate on fixing what's wrong w/us first instead of asking someone else to adopt us and we have to deal w/a whole new set of problems.

If you think BSO is the answer, you're kidding yourself only because you just don't know any better. That agency, while there are some great line officers and supervisors- JUST LIKE THE FLPD- also suffers from a myriad of other problems, many of them politically oriented & it will never change because it is a political organization run by a an elected official. It is simply the nature of the beast. You think the politics are bad over here right now? Jump on over to the BSO web page & see what they're talking about & you'll get the drift. You guys who wish that are suffering from the grass is greener syndrome.

The jokers who are running the city & PD now are running on borrowed time. History has proven that; the average life span of a city manager & chief in an city the size of Ft. Laud is less than 5 years; well, the chief is already past that & in his final contract & the c/m is in year 4. How much longer do you think this can last, especially if a vote of "no confidence" is issued against both by the union & the FD union?

As for the overall labeling of the managment here, I strongly disagree w/most of the comments posted by you folks about "all of them." I came on & have worked w/many of these people over my career. Most are my friends & the majority of them are good, decent folks, trying their best under some trying circumstances. Yeah, ok there are a few that are more difficult to deal with than others or didn't deserve the position they currently occupy but show me an agency where that isn't true & I'll go buy property in that town & apply in that agency. BSO, for all its good points, sure ain't that place.

Lastly, I will continue to disagree w/the folks that post inane, childish comments. They offer nothing to the conversation & considering we don't even know who is posting, it dampens the credibility of those of us that do know better. I call them the GED folks because in reality, that's all you need to get this job, not because they disagree w/me.

Barak
11-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Barak,

As a potential applicant (I say potential as I am deciding on whether to pursue a career change, not potential due to "issues" at FLPD), I am not dissuaded from applying. I would hope possible applicants such as myself would realize there are no perfect departments and there will always be good and bad situations that employees agree and disagree on.

I hope that once I commit to a decision about my career, if I decide to go with a change, that FLPD is not on a hiring freeze. I guess time will tell in my situation.

It is always easier to find complaints about things rather than the positives but other than a paycheck there must be some good points to FLPD that have kept the officers there that are not happy.

Either way, I wish the best possible outcome to the issues that plague the officers of FLPD.

I have no clue who you are but I certainly wouldn't make a decision about where to/not to apply based on any of these blogs by any of the agencies in this vast site. If you've reviewed other agency sites, you'll see (much like this site) that many of the posters are the agency's worst detractors. Everyone's got a bone to pick & because these are anonymous forums, anyone can post anything whether or not it's true. I'm not saying all the postings on this site have been inaccurate because there is a kernel of truth in most of them but you have to really know which is & which isn't. As an outsider, that's a pretty tough task for you.

Every agency suffers from various issues and has good folks and bad folks working there. In the FLPD, the vast majority of the folks-like 95%-, from the parking enforcement people on up thru the major's and even a couple of the assistant chiefs, are good, well-intentioned honest folks trying to do the best they can w/the limited resources they have in what has become a political environment over the last 4 years, basically since Silva was appointed interim city manager & then GeorgeG appointed as f/t c/m along w/his cronies.

There's plenty of positive stuff about the PD; as I already said, most of the folks are great people & we do some great work that goes unrecognized every day. We're an agency filled w/folks who have a lot of positive qualities, character, skills & integrity. We're compensated in a relatively fair fashion but certainly not on par w/similar sized agencies or in relation to what we're asked to do as opposed some of the officers in bedroom communities.

The city itself is an interesting entity w/a truly diverse popualtion. Here you can choose to work on the beach, in the business areas, the residential area, the depressed area, downtown, uptown & the airport. Lots of places, like Miami Gardens, can't offer you that. Every day you go to work in the 'hood & it shall always be thus. There's nothing wrong w/that so long as you know that going in.

I can honestly say that for the majority of my career, this has been a great place to work & the people have been the best. That's what made it it worthwhile. I ain't happy about the goings-on around here over the last 4 years or so but I don't have any control over that so I jsut try to keep my head above water and swim around it.

Good luck w/your search, no matter where you end up.

11-16-2007, 10:32 PM
Posted: 11/13/07 13:56:00 Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Barak says,
Blah, blah, blah...I've been here longer...blah, blah, blah...the younger generation sucks...blah, blah, blah...I worked here with the Indians... blah, blah, blah...I am the best cop ever to walk the halls of FLPD...blah, blah, blah, I would do this job for free...blah, blah, blah...Aren't you tired of these lazy slugs who never even fired a wheel gun?...blah, blah, blah...my hemorrhoids are killing me...blah, blah, blah...We should be paid the best, BUT be happy with what you get!...blah, blah, blah...I love my giant annoying EGO...blah, blah, blah...Why does it smell like a fart evey time I start speaking?...blah, blah, blah...You all are a bunch of whiners and my generation never whined because tears hadn't been invented yet...blah, blah, blah...

You're king of the castle Barak....You giant blowhard!!

11-16-2007, 11:15 PM
Barak,

Since it is obvious that we all don't know we are, for our safety at that, I cannot also but wonder at your posts.

You state that only the most disaffected whiners are posting on this board, which in a sense is true because the word about being able to speak opinions on this site is slowly getting out, but do you or do you not walk the hallways everyday and speak to your coworkers?

I do! I speak to everybody, Officers, Detectives: CID, SID, PSA's, Lt.s, Captains, and occasionally a Major or two.

They all speak about how screwed up this place is, how it has gone from a great place to work to a very crappy place to work in the last few years, with each year worse than the year that preceded it. Are you immune to this?

Frankly, your opinions are in the vast minority. The majority opinon on here is being stated by a few, but is sure is the majority opinion in the PD down to almost a man, and that man is you Barak.

I can only assume, which i hate to do, is that you are marginalized and not well liked by most of your peers, that you speak to few who you work with, or are not trusted enough to share conversations with because your a hack.

Note to Barak, all your coworkers have now been turned into disaffected whiners because they selflessly car about the department they work at and have been forced into stating their opinions here for fear of retribution at work.

Except you, again, I wonder why?

Barak, since you asked, I want to know, what do you think the department does right? Im anxiously waiting to read your short list.

11-17-2007, 12:23 AM
It's really great when an anonymous poster puts up stuff like the last post. For all we know, you could be stocking boxes @ Publix.

This really is a great strategy you guys got going here, honestly- trying to scare away potentially good candidates from applying by writing nothing but negatives. Tell me, is there nothing you see positive about going to work in the FLPD other than picking up your paycheck every 2 weeks? Is every day truly that bad for you? If it is, it's got to be hurting your health and personal life and in both the long and short term, the paycheck can't be worth it. There are plenty of other occupations out there. Take your GED and go see if someone else is going to compensate you likewise for what you do every day.

Aren't we all anonymous posters on here? I checked the department roster and haven't found anyone named Barak working here. will that be paper or plastic?

Barak
11-17-2007, 12:49 AM
I rest my case.

11-17-2007, 03:54 AM
I rest my case.

I am also waiting to read your short list of things the department does right. While waiting, may I quote a very wise man who said:

"Barak says,
Blah, blah, blah...I've been here longer...blah, blah, blah...the younger generation sucks...blah, blah, blah...I worked here with the Indians... blah, blah, blah...I am the best cop ever to walk the halls of FLPD...blah, blah, blah, I would do this job for free...blah, blah, blah...Aren't you tired of these lazy slugs who never even fired a wheel gun?...blah, blah, blah...my hemorrhoids are killing me...blah, blah, blah...We should be paid the best, BUT be happy with what you get!...blah, blah, blah...I love my giant annoying EGO...blah, blah, blah...Why does it smell like a fart evey time I start speaking?...blah, blah, blah...You all are a bunch of whiners and my generation never whined because tears hadn't been invented yet...blah, blah, blah...

You're king of the castle Barak....You giant blowhard!! ".

11-17-2007, 05:38 PM
Barak,
Yes, we all have GEDs...Oh, wait a sec...I graduated from a real (not online) University before becoming an officer with FLPD. In fact, I don't know of anyone I work with who got their GED. I'm sure there are a few, but not many. Most of the peopel I work with have at least a 2 year degree and many have a 4 year. Many more are veterans of our Armed Services. It's too bad you see us as a bunch of fruit pickers, because that description couldn't be further from the truth. Most of us would have no problem finding another, higher paying job, in either the public or private sector.
So why do I stay? I love being a cop. I love the guys I work with and have befriended over my career here. I even like the annoying rookies (you know who you are spaz)) I work with. I am bitter, frustrated, and angry, because I have seen such a rapid decline in this department, from being the best and most admired, to being a joke. I have seen agressive and abusive investigations initiated by out of control managers, which would never have been allowed in the past. I have seen one of the finest officers this department has, thrown out with garbage and treated like crap by a city manager and chief, who still have refused to apologize for their gross negligence. I could go on and on. Read my post under "Battle Brewing" for more.

And Barak, as for your displeasure with childish comments...Get a since of humor you GIANT DILLHOLE!!!

"We'll give you a call if we find your stolen TV."
"Do you ever find anything?"
"No"

01-05-2008, 12:03 AM
ArtVandalay,

First off, that award you got in night school that hangs over your bed for finishing "das-boot" without choking on the bubble DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AS A DIPLOMA, WHETHER YOU GOT IT ONLINE OR NOT.

And second off, get a few more, non revealing uniforms for the monthly rotation.

Barak,
Yes, we all have GEDs...Oh, wait a sec...I graduated from a real (not online) University before becoming an officer with FLPD. In fact, I don't know of anyone I work with who got their GED. I'm sure there are a few, but not many. Most of the peopel I work with have at least a 2 year degree and many have a 4 year. Many more are veterans of our Armed Services. It's too bad you see us as a bunch of fruit pickers, because that description couldn't be further from the truth. Most of us would have no problem finding another, higher paying job, in either the public or private sector.
So why do I stay? I love being a cop. I love the guys I work with and have befriended over my career here. I even like the annoying rookies (you know who you are spaz)) I work with. I am bitter, frustrated, and angry, because I have seen such a rapid decline in this department, from being the best and most admired, to being a joke. I have seen agressive and abusive investigations initiated by out of control managers, which would never have been allowed in the past. I have seen one of the finest officers this department has, thrown out with garbage and treated like crap by a city manager and chief, who still have refused to apologize for their gross negligence. I could go on and on. Read my post under "Battle Brewing" for more.

And Barak, as for your displeasure with childish comments...Get a since of humor you GIANT DILLHOLE!!!

"No"

01-05-2008, 12:48 AM
ArtVandalay,

First off, that award you got in night school that hangs over your bed for finishing "das-boot" without choking on the bubble DOES NOT CONSTITUTE AS A DIPLOMA, WHETHER YOU GOT IT ONLINE OR NOT.

And second off, get a few more, non revealing uniforms for the monthly rotation.

Barak,

"No"

You don't check dates to be sure you're comment in a timely fashion, huh?

01-05-2008, 03:55 AM
Spaz,
First of all, it was "Das-Booty", and secondly, did it really take you a month and a half to come up with that gem?

And by the way, the name Spaz is reserved for someone else, so please pick a different name.

To the real Spaz, I'm sorry this turd stole your name. Everything is going to be OK.

01-05-2008, 05:36 AM
I'm so confused, I'm just going back into the shower to take a Crying Game shower.

Spaz,
First of all, it was "Das-Booty", and secondly, did it really take you a month and a half to come up with that gem?

And by the way, the name Spaz is reserved for someone else, so please pick a different name.

To the real Spaz, I'm sorry this turd stole your name. Everything is going to be OK.

01-05-2008, 05:37 PM
Again with the gay sex?

I'm so confused, I'm just going back into the shower to take a Crying Game shower.

Spaz,