PDA

View Full Version : Why do we need 5 Majors?

10-29-2007, 12:55 AM
The department is very Top heavy. I think that the New people at ABT need to look at going back to 3 majors. 5 is just too many.

10-29-2007, 01:15 AM
I suspect there will be a 'from the top down" evaluation of each position. The State is facing very difficult times financially and I do not believe there will much acceptance for "wasted money." Each agency head will be tasked with cutting their respective budgets, and I would guess "people" are the biggest expense. We are top heavy and very few of those positions are critical. Lets take a quick look, shall we?
A lieutenant in charge of technology? - Hire a nonsworn.
A lieutenant to do internals? Dump this one - send crap to the IG.
A lieutenant for a special unit? (ICARE) - Give this to the Tall captain.
Five majors? One major for three captains should be a realistic ratio.
A Lt supervises 5-6 so a major should be able to handle half that many.
Make these changes and there would be enough rate money to fix the compression issue, or at least start on it. We need to quit waiting for the legislature to help us - let's help ourselves.

10-29-2007, 01:34 AM
You can not use the rate to fix compression without legislative authority, it is called the "cohort issue". Check on it!

10-29-2007, 01:41 AM
I see that as a non issue, especially since even the legislature would have to admit - help "ain't coming" from normal revenue streams.

10-29-2007, 02:18 PM
The only reason we have 5 Majors is due to Houghland wanting to be called colonel. Apparently you can only be called Colonel in the State system if you have 5 Majors. Here is a thought, make the Orlando Major the Chief and do not fill Matos spot. If not then one from Orlando then another Major for another office as Chief.

11-16-2007, 03:06 AM
One to change the light bulb, one to hold the chair so he doesn't fall, one to tell him which way to screw it in, one to turn the light switch on and the 5th to drive them to lunch.

11-16-2007, 03:55 AM
One to change the light bulb, one to hold the chair so he doesn't fall, one to tell him which way to screw it in, one to turn the light switch on and the 5th to drive them to lunch.

Yep, thats about all they have to do now. But at 75,000.00+ they dont mind. What do you make?! So who are the smart ones dummy?!

11-16-2007, 03:57 AM
And all the captains are laughing now to. Oh hurt their feelings by stripping their duties...bottom line...they are making 70,000.00 + with limited duties...so who has been done wrong?! Think about it?!

11-16-2007, 04:35 PM
Is there a way to get a break down of everyones pay? SO we can see what they really make instead of what we think they make.

11-16-2007, 07:25 PM
Send a public records request. There is even a email link on the abt webpage - no fuss - no muss but I warn you - be prepared to be sickened. There have been a bunch of requests for salary info lately, so they probably already have it indexed for easy email access.

11-16-2007, 07:32 PM
And all the captains are laughing now to. Oh hurt their feelings by stripping their duties...bottom line...they are making 70,000.00 + with limited duties...so who has been done wrong?! Think about it?!

Pretty much the only ones not laughing are the Lt's. Very little difference between Lt and agent, but a big difference between Lt and Capt. Add another 10 grand and you have major. They should call Lt's what they are - sergeants.

11-16-2007, 11:35 PM

Pretty much the only ones not laughing are the Lt's. Very little difference between Lt and agent, but a big difference between Lt and Capt. Add another 10 grand and you have major. They should call Lt's what they are - sergeants.

They should and should call some of the Lt's UNEMPLOYED!

11-17-2007, 06:01 PM
The only reason we have 5 Majors is due to Houghland wanting to be called colonel. Apparently you can only be called Colonel in the State system if you have 5 Majors. Here is a thought, make the Orlando Major the Chief and do not fill Matos spot. If not then one from Orlando then another Major for another office as Chief. What is this joint a branch of the military. They should go back to having 3 Bureau Chiefs. All these silly titles don't mean squat. Nobody
has any respect for most of them. Of course most, not all, do not deserve any respect. Remember when all the nonsense erupted because certain folks did not want to be called Beverage Agents. They
wanted to be called Special Agents. You still have to count dishes for SRX inspections. Get back to reality.

11-17-2007, 08:09 PM
The department is very Top heavy. I think that the New people at ABT need to look at going back to 3 majors. 5 is just too many.

We have 3. And a 27 year agent (southern region), and a SGT (north west region)

11-18-2007, 09:20 PM
:shock:

12-01-2007, 10:37 PM

Well word is we are going to 1. Geeeier's and Maaato's slots are not being filled. The new SGT in the NW is being upgraded to Deputy Chief. The NE Major will remain over the entire North and the 30+ year (not 27 year) Agent will remain over the South. What a plan and straight from Ms. Thang (BA) herself.

12-02-2007, 04:00 AM
What are you talking about? Aren't we going to 3 majors?

12-02-2007, 02:29 PM
What are you talking about? Aren't we going to 3 majors?

12-02-2007, 06:27 PM
good job meerrrilll on the moderating-ar you the Lt in charge of ICARE like you have bragged all week? Congratulations on stabbing Jeff Yonce in the back again TAMPA's best

12-02-2007, 06:46 PM
[quote="State Leo":1kznjh8d]The department is very Top heavy. I think that the New people at ABT need to look at going back to 3 majors. 5 is just too many.

Well word is we are going to 1. Geeeier's and Maaato's slots are not being filled. The new SGT in the NW is being upgraded to Deputy Chief. The NE Major will remain over the entire North and the 30+ year (not 27 year) Agent will remain over the South. What a plan and straight from Ms. Thang (BA) herself.[/quote:1kznjh8d]

WHAT!!!! Why int he world would we need a deputy chief position. And why have the newest major STaaaaaaabbbbbb be the one. I dont know much about him, but I sure have not heard much positive about him. Couldn't they pick someone else if they have to have a deputy chief. Did the old days have min. number of positions reporting to senior management positions. What ever happended to that? And we only thought the other administartions were bad, I don't think we have seen nothing yet boys and girls.

12-02-2007, 07:08 PM
Figures...of course the Director is still livid because her pick..her "mentor" Rickie Virgodamo was not hired. I am surprised she just did'nt get mad and quit again..like before when she did not get promoted. I remeber that day just like it was yesterday. Of course its hard to leave the $100,000.00+ even with attitude. Got to love her email she sent Friday...now if she will only practice her own instructions...which I doubt...but time will tell. But as long as the DS keeps her on a short leash it should be alright.

12-02-2007, 07:50 PM
That's sgt deputy chief to you all...

12-03-2007, 03:09 AM
:shock:

12-05-2007, 12:46 AM
Figures...of course the Director is still livid because her pick..her "mentor" Rickie Virgodamo was not hired. I am surprised she just did'nt get mad and quit again..like before when she did not get promoted. I remeber that day just like it was yesterday. Of course its hard to leave the $100,000.00+ even with attitude. Got to love her email she sent Friday...now if she will only practice her own instructions...which I doubt...but time will tell. But as long as the DS keeps her on a short leash it should be alright.

could you please post the email?

12-05-2007, 02:01 AM
What happend? I guess you didn't have the clout that you thought you had. I bet the director begged to get him. Oh well from what I hear we are much better off with out that cigar smoking looser. :lol:

12-06-2007, 12:58 PM
Looks like everyone was wrong. 3 majors and one of the strangest reorg charts in the history of ABT. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. What was wrong with the regions before when we had 3 chiefs. Oh, I forgot, if we did it the responsible way, certain majors would have to move. We must take care of our majors. They have so much time with ABT it would be a shame to disrupt their lives, so let's do it to everyone else. Some things never change and positive thoughts are dashed with a reorg.

12-06-2007, 02:18 PM
Since Ron C and Toolbert got merit raises for thinking up the re-org to 5 majors does this mean they have to give back the money because their idea was scrapped?

12-06-2007, 05:54 PM
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

12-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Since Ron C and Toolbert got merit raises for thinking up the re-org to 5 majors does this mean they have to give back the money because their idea was scrapped?

They didn't...